11/9/1974 (1)

Sea in your Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the rosy Dawn touches Kyungsoo’s eyelid, sunlights already flood the room and some seep out of the room though the cracks on the door. Kyungsoo slams the alarm shut, dressed up as usual, packed his bag and went to the living room. 

 

‘Hi, Kyungsoo! I have made scones for you!’ Mom says as she wipes her hands on her apron. 

 

‘It taste magnificent,’ dad says between mouthfuls.

 

‘Don’t speak with your mouth full,’

 

Dad drinks some water to wash the scone down, ‘Okay, okay. Kyungsoo come and eat!’

 

As usual, he puts jam and cream on his scone. And as usual, his mother never fails to make sleepy morning delightful. Mom hands Kyungsoo his lunch bag and he puts it in his school bag. Every morning dad will be the news reporter in the household. Today is no difference, he makes remarks and analysis of every column. Kyungsoo would always discuss with him to get more background information and debates will break out ever so often. Today is no difference, after a heated debate, they come to a conclusion of the importance of nuclear weapon. Mom always say dad is the smartest in the atmosphere, as his team is working on the radio, dad would always tease mom for being ‘stupid’ when she has troubles with electricity, and mom would reply, ‘Well, this stupid brain is saving people every day, with a bonus, your dying is saved by our team.’ Kyungsoo bid his goodbye to his family and passes the vancant shop. The younger generation looks up to the older generation for surviving, having survived the Second World War comes with the cost of losing a part of your body and potentially, losing your mind. Just like his neighbour, whose curtains draw close and Kyungsoo can only see his reflection on the glass as he now passes by. Dad scorns his neighbour, for Mr Park sits on his wheelchair and stares at the plates everyday, cold and unmoving, mom pities them as she has treated his wounds and seen the bombed-scarred earth and bullets splints stuck to the youthful face. Sometimes she would give Mrs Park some baked goods. Poor women, she would say after the visit and go on to talk about how withered her face becomes. Summer is coming close to an end, the wind is crisper so the leaves chants their crispy blues. But the heat of summer can still be felt though the thin fabric, and Kyungsoo could not hate this weather more. Humid air plugs Kyungsoo’s nostril, and tingly skin tells him that a storm is coming. He prays dearly for rain, so the temperature can drop. I need to water my cactus, the thought pops up out of the blue. The flowers in the Mrs. Park’s garden are dying though, dark brown like soil, crushed beneath luggage and boxes. He met Miss Russell at the crossroad, greeting each other with a bright smile, they exchanged usual pleasantries. 

 

‘Going to work?’

 

‘Yes, you school?’

 

‘As usual. What are you designing on?’

 

‘An engine, used in planes! I am trying to lower the cost while keeping the efficiency.’

 

‘I guess you changed the material? I don’t know. Aluminium?’

 

‘Nice guess, but we are using alloys, one metal alone has too much disadvantages, so we are using multiple to make up. But the blades do contain aluminium.’

 

‘What alloys are used though?’

 

‘Nickel, titanium for the body and blades are the same with aluminium.’

 

‘You are working on the percentage and shape?’

 

‘Exactly. Clever boy! I gotta get going. See you around!’

 

Kyungsoo does not know what he would be when he grows up, his interest is spread board and thin. His mom wants him to be a doctor, while his dad wants him to be an engineer, Kyungsoo likes them but not invested in them, his teachers told him to take it slow, for jobs is 95% of his adult life, and choosing a wrong job could kill. Miss Russell told him, finding a job is like finding your wife, for you will face it day in and day out, you have to make sure you would still kiss the same face when it is worn by time. Kyungsoo could not picture himself kissing any faces, though. As if he already has too little to fret about, 10 days since school-opening, down comes his social life ‘issues’, mom would never stop interrogating him.  When he arrives at school, he bids greetings to the nice portion of the class and settles in the middle row. Kyungsoo loves studying instead of boring teachers, who unfortunately make up 90%. home period is just another excuse for dozing off, still, you need to catch snippets of announcements. Junmyeon, the class president, sits next to him, before Junmyeon has the time to say hi, Kyungsoo beats him to that. 

 

‘Aren’t class president suppose to sit in the front row? I do not wish you get a scolding from our King-Kong.’

 

‘Our Vice President has it under control. I am going to laze around for today. And if King-Kong decides to roar at the whole class and thumps her chest,’ Junmyeon shrugs. ‘I can’t do anything about it.’

 

‘Welcome to the comfy, warm and sacredly quiet spot.’ Junmyeon pats Kyungsoo’s shoulder and laughs. 

 

‘Good morning class!’ Ms Lee shouts.

 

‘Goo—d morn—ing— Ms— Lee—‘ the class lengthens every syllabary back while some students share questioning looks, ‘Why is she so early?’ 

 

‘Gonna be a hard day for us, can’t imagine yours,’ Kyungsoo jokes

 

Junmyeon squeezes out broken pieces of laughter, but only air comes out. Ms Lee being early only means one thing, there will be a lecture about morals and discipline, occasionally school rules, and the class president will be ordered around, handing out worksheets, writing on blackboard and marking down naughty students. 

 

‘Junmyeon! Come here!’ 

 

‘On my way!’ Junmyeon hurries down, running between chairs and desks. Ms Lee inquires for vacant seats and Junmyeon says the front rows are mostly vacant. 

 

‘Today we are welcoming a new student! And Junmyeon, you will take care of him from now onward. I hope you can sit next to him for the first week, as to show him around.’

 

Class erupts into chatters, at the beginning of school, there are already 5 new students sitting among the old, why is this newcomer so late?

 

‘Shut up! How many times do I need to remind you to stay quiet whatever I am doing?’

 

Junmyeon writes ‘Please stay quite’ on the board. While the Vice President, Minseok, corrects it. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter