17/9/1974

Sea in your Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo gets up before twilight, when dawn in still yawning in her lullaby. Spitting toothpaste into the sink and welcoming holiday with a glance to the clock. 7:30 it reads, and Kyungsoo wonders why is he up so early. The trees sneezes, Kyungsoo muses, there is a sudden pulse of wind and trees twitch as though sneezing. There is a knock on the door, his parents too fast asleep to notice. Skipping, he reaches the door and peers carefully through the hole. 

 

‘Chanyeol?’ Kyungsoo swiftly opens the door. 

 

‘Hey, Kyungsoo! I am wondering whether we can study math today?’

 

‘Such early in-’

 

‘Good morning, son,’ Stopping abruptly in the corridor, dad calls out, ‘who’s at the door?’

 

‘It’s me! Good morning uncle!’ Chanyeol waves vehemently. 

 

‘What you up to?’ Glancing at the clock. ‘It is early in the morning.’

 

‘I want to study math with soo, um, Kyungsoo. And play a bit! It is a holiday!’

 

‘Play? Sure. Kyungsoo makes sure you have finished your essays and the revision for the exam. Come back home after the dark,’ after a thoughtful silence. ‘Chanyeol, have a nice time.’

 

‘Soo! Come on!’

 

‘I need to change first. Come on in and make yourself comfortable.’

 

Packing his bag and donning his clothes, he can hear the twitter of birds. He spots two of them right outside his window. 

 

‘Let’s go!’ Two boys out of chains of school, they flee for freedom as they scare away the birds. White feather and yellow leaves showering down. 

 

‘Where are we heading?’ Kyungsoo asks as he pats dirt of his shoulder, and tip toeing to pick leaves out of Chanyeol’s soft hair. Chanyeol beams, crescent eyes light up the universe. 

 

‘How about a visit to antique shop downtown?’

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes crinkle, the smell of old leather and the touch of old books excite his mundane fibres. Like a old toy winds up and sprung to life, Kyungsoo jumps like a little kid, Chanyeol takes Kyungsoo’s hand as they race for the bus stop. The bus bobs on a bumpy road, while Kyungsoo stares out of the window. The trees pass by, forming a barricade of green, while the cloud dipping down, trying to touch the trees, but the trees just rush by, fast, scattering the clouds into feathery pieces. Chanyeol looks intently, at first intrigued in the passing view, however fast the excitement, it eventually ebbs away like the trees, the clouds and into a big plain meadows, fresh tender green, the colour of the budding leaves. When the exuberant green extends out forever, Chanyeol gets bored. Slightly pouting as Chanyeol catches Kyungsoo’s stoic expression. Chanyeol looks out the other side, meet with the seamless dark green of mature vegetables, Chanyeol huffs. After flitting his gaze from an object to another, Chanyeol’s eyes rest on Kyungsoo, who has closed his eyes. Chanyeol is about to investigate on the grainy road as he shifts his gaze onto the driver. A small frown weaves a web of confusion on Kyungsoo’s face, a small sigh escapes his nose, as his whole figure slumps. 

 

‘Soo,’ Chanyeol whispers. He did not get an immediate response, as Chanyeol watches the whisper dissipate into the thin air. Kyungsoo t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter