In a Different World Maybe.

OneShot: KkuChaen

 

It's the company's party celebrating the successful launch of their summer campaign. Miyawaki Sakura, project manager takes the center stage to give a few words. After her short speech and proposing the toast, she came down and the party continued.

 

Music, drinks, and small talks, this is what she deals with tonight.
She is greeted by a lot people, Sakura smiled to everyone of them. It's also a time for business prospects.

 

As she is busy going around greeting people, someone approached her and congratulated her. She is from an advertising company. They started talking to each other when another girl joined them.

"She's our advertising head."

"Hi, I'm Lee Chaeyeon", she reached out her hand to Sakura.

"Hi, I'm Miyawaki Sakura", she gave her a nice smile.

 

They continue their conversation until Sakura excuses herself to receive an incoming call. She moves away from the crowd and answers the call. It didn't take long so Sakura returns to socializing with people in the party.

 

The night is getting deep, she feels a little tired so she sat on the bar stool and grab a drink. Someone sits beside her and and asks for a drink as well.

"Tired?", Chaeyeon asked.

"A little" Sakura answered.

 

They keep on exchanging glances and smirks to each other.

Chaeyeon doesn't want to talk business anymore. She feels like Sakura had enough of that tonight. She deserves to relax and cherish the success of the campaign she spear-headed.

 

"You want to go somewhere else?" Chaeyeon asked innocently.

Sakura gave her a confused gaze.

It took Chaeyeon a few seconds to realize what she said.

"Ah, no. That's not what I meant", she suddenly got shy.

Sakura blurted a short laugh.
"So, what do you mean?"

"Let's go somewhere quiet. You look like you need some fresh air, Ms. Project Manager", Chaeyeon teased.

Sakura didn't reply immediately as she was reading a text message.

"I'm here. Where are you?"

She looks around after reading the text.

"Let's go that somewhere else next time, Ms. Advertising Head", Sakura said as she leaves her seat.

Chaeyeon tried to say something but she lost her in the crowd just like that.

"Must be an emergency", she thought.

She finishes her drink and leaves as well.

 

 

Sakura is greeted by a warm hug and a peck on the lips.

It's Kwon Eunbi, her girlfriend.

The proud girlfriend didn't let go of her girl and keeps kissing her cheeks and not letting go of their hug. She cups Sakura's face and uttered, "I'm so proud of you!"

Both of them enjoyed the party and went home together.

 

------------------

 

Sakura is back in the office with her team planning for a new campaign. Their success last time, gave them a lot of pressure.

After a few presentations, they take a break as they wait for the advertising team they are meeting today.

Sakura heads out of the office and goes to the lounge. She calls her girlfriend.

"We're not making any progress...", she whines.

"Don't pressure yourself too much, baby."

"I just want the campaign to succeed."

"It will. I believe in you. I know you can do it."

"Thank you, baby. You always cheer me up."

"I love you. I need to hang up now. I'll see you later."

"I love you too."

 

After Sakura hung up, she saw a group of people headed towards their office. She saw someone familiar.

"The Advertising Head", she said to herself.

She welcomes them graciously. She reaches out her hand to Chaeyeon and greeted her with a bright smile. She smiled to her as well.

The meeting turned out well and scheduled a follow-up meeting after the revisions.

Throughout the meeting, Chaeyeon paid a close attention to Sakura. She is completely amazed on how she carries herself in the office.
"She's something else", she said to herself.

They were about to leave when Chaeyeon approached Sakura. She said she looks forward to working with her.

Not really sure what to call her, Chaeyeon addresed her as Ms. Miyawaki. Sakura immediately refused it.

"That's too formal, you can just call me Sakura."

"Okay. Sakura."

Sakura's secretary came and hands out some documents. Chaeyeon waits for her but she seems to be really busy. So she decided to just leave.

"Let's go to that somewhere else when this project succeeds", Sakura said before Chaeyeon goes out.

She gave her a nod and a nice smile.

 

-----------------

 

Having an added motivation, Chaeyeon works doubly hard for their project. She and her team decided to put in extra hours of work for this.

She grabs the opportunity to meet Sakura in person. She contacted her secretary and asked to schedule a meeting with Sakura.

Sakura is busy working in her office, when her secretary looks for her.

"Ms. Lee Chaeyeon wants to schedule a personal meeting with you on Friday" she informed her.

Her secretary didn't get any response from her. She is about to repeat what she said when Sakura suddenly spoke, "Did she mention her agenda?"

"She just said it's about the project you're currently working on."

It took a while before Sakura responded.

"Schedule our meeting at 2:00pm on Friday."

Sakura excitedly picked her phone to answer a call from Eunbi. Her mood brightens up everytime her girl checks on her. They agreed to eat dinner at their favorite restaurant after work.


 

Friday

​​​Just the thought of seeing Sakura again makes Chaeyeon really happy. Although she knows that their meeting today is just an excuse to spend time with Sakura.

Chaeyeon prepared the drafts for the final presentation by the end of the month. She wants to impress her.

Sakura just came back from her lunch out with Eunbi. She checks the time and asks her secretary to prepare something as Chaeyeon will be arriving soon.

"She's here", her secretary said.

Sakura welcomes Chaeyeon. As they both settled down. Sakura wants to go directly to their agenda while Chaeyeon kind of want to divert from business matters.

More than an hour together, Sakura admits that their meeting is the lightest one she had so far. Usually, she goes by the book when it comes to business meetings. But it's different today. She found herself laughing in the middle of their conversation. It's something new to her. She even complimented Chaeyeon for it.

 

"Thank you for doing this. You must be busy as well. Actually, you don't have to be here personally but I'm glad you made time for this. Now I'm more excited on how it will all turn out."

"No problem. I really enjoyed our meeting today. It made me feel good about the outcome of our collaboration."

"See you in a couple of weeks", Sakura stood up and hands out her hand to Chaeyeon.

"Let's do our best to succeed on this project", Chaeyeon said confidently.
 

 

2 weeks later

Final meeting before the launch of their new campaign. Everyone is focused as the day is fast approaching.

After thorough discussions, the campaign is ready. The meeting ended with a loud applause acknowledging everyone's hard work. Sigh of relief also filled the room as the big task is accomplished.

Chaeyeon is fixing her things when Sakura approached her.

 

"You did well."

"We did."

Sakura smiled and tapped Chaeyeon's shoulder.

"Let's go to that somewhere you were talking about."

"Now?"

"Hmmm...give me a second."

 

Sakura texts her girlfriend first to inform her where she's going. She told her she's going with a colleague. She also mentioned to her the final meeting of her campaign ended well.

Eunbi asked a few questions and just agreed to pick her up when she's done.

"So, where is that somewhere?" Sakura asked curiously.

"Is the campaign considered a success already?" Chaeyeon asked.

"Well...technically not yet. But I think a breath of fresh air would be nice right now. We did well right?"

 

Chaeyeon responded with a bright smile.  

"Let's go there at 7:00pm"

"Okay. But where is it?" Sakura kept on asking.

"Surprise", Chaeyeon said.

"Hey, it's not like were going on a date"

 

Chaeyeon paused for a bit. She seemed getting ahead of herself. She can't hide her excitement.

Sakura's secretary signalled something to her. She has to go.

"Just text me the location, I'll be there" she assured her.

"But I don't have your number."

"Get it from my secretary later. I'll tell her about it."

"Okay. See you later."

Sakura just waved her hand.

 

----------------------

 

Chaeyeon is all dressed up as if she's going on a date. Actually, she really waited for this day. She decided that it's going to be the day when she will confess to Sakura.

A hidden rooftop restaurant with a perfect view of the skyline. Not a bad place to make a confession.

"I'm here"

Chaeyeon read Sakura's text excitedly.

"Wow!" Sakura exclaimed.

"It's so beautiful."

She even closed her eyes and just feel the wind blowing.

"It's relaxing, right?"

"Hmmm..."

"What can you say to this 'somewhere' I'm talking about?"

"I think it would be nice to go here with your special someone."

 

Chaeyeon looked away and took a deep breath.

"Sakura, I want to tell you something."

 

Sakura turned to face Chaeyeon. She looked at her intently.

Chaeyeon is nervous. She don't know where to start.

"What is it?", Sakura asked.

 

"I... I... like..."

 

Sakura's phone rings. She picks it up and signals Chaeyeon to wait.

It's her girlfriend. She's crying.

Sakura worries for her girl. She can't fully understand what she is saying because of her sobbing.

"Wait for me. I'm going there now."

She hangs up and turns to Chaeyeon.

"I'm really sorry. I need to go now, my baby is crying. The thing you want to say, just contact my secretary and she'll relay your message to me. I'm sorry..."

Sakura spoke so fast Chaeyeon almost didn't catch it.

 

"Did she just say 'my baby'? She has a child?"

"I have to contact your secretary to tell you I like you?"

"What is this?"

Chaeyeon stares blankly at the beautiful skyline. Her plan didn't turn out as expected. It even left her confused.

 

The next morning, Chaeyeon received a text message. It's from Sakura.

"Sorry for leaving ahead that night. Something really important came up. Let's go again there next time. See you at the launch of our campaign."

"It's okay. We can always go there if we have time. See you."

 

----------------------

 

"This is it. I have to tell her. No regrets. I'm gonna tell her how I feel."

"I wonder how she'll respond..."

"It doesn't matter. I like her. And I'll let her know that."

 

Chaeyeon sees the launch as a chance for her to express her feelings for Sakura. She's determined to really say it this time.
 

 

 

D-day

The whole team gathered at the VIP tables as the program officially starts. Everyone share the same nervousness in the beginning but eventually they are just exchanging smiles and nodding to each other.

A standing ovation was given after the launching of the campaign. The people who worked hard for this project shake hands congratulating each other.

Chaeyeon approached Sakura to congratulate her. Sakura is about to reach out her hand but Chaeyeon hugged her. It was quick. Both of them seem startled but they smiled after.

They take the center stage for a toast marking the campaign officially launched.

Sakura is the first to step down from the stage. Chaeyeon keeps her eye on where she's going. She sees a girl approaching Sakura. What happened next made her almost drop her glass of champagne.

 

It's Eunbi and Sakura kissing passionately.

 

Her initial response is to look away. She's shocked. She didn't manage to move from where she's standing.

Without her knowing, Sakura and Eunbi is in front of her.

 

"Chaeyeon", Sakura called.

Still at lost, Chaeyeon did not respond until Sakura tapped her arm.

Eunbi and Sakura is in front of her, arms linked to each other. She smiled awkwardly.

 

Sakura introduced Chaeyeon and Eunbi to each other.

"She's Lee Chaeyeon. The head of advertising company who collaborated with us."

 

"Chaeyeon, this is Kwon Eunbi, my girlfriend."

 

Chaeyeon and Eunbi shook hands. Exchanged smiles. Eunbi even thanked Chaeyeon for her hard work in making a great campaign. Chaeyeon also acknowledged Sakura's work ethic. She then excused herself from the couple. She looked at Sakura before she left.

 

Sakura is bothered by that look Chaeyeon gave her. But she just watched her walk away. Eunbi held her hand and they went the other way.

 

Chaeyeon is sitting at the bar stool, she keeps asking for a drink. At this rate, she'll get drunk any minute now.

She heard a familiar voice from behind her, asking for a drink as well.

 

"Tired?", Sakura asked.

"A little", Chaeyeon answered.

Sakura glances at Chaeyeon who's almost drunk.

 

"Slow down. You're getting drunk."

"Don't worry. I can manage my alcohol."

She's trying to figure out what's happening to her. Why she's suddenly being like this.

 

"You want to go somewhere else?", Sakura asked.

Chaeyeon responded with a sarcastic laugh.

"I mean, let's go there, at the rooftop. I think you need a breath of fresh air."

"Don't bother. I'm okay. This is what I need now."

She drank another shot.

 

Sakura remains bothered. She knows Chaeyeon is definitely not okay.

"What happened? Why are you doing this?"

 

Sakura's phone rings. She placed it on the table when she sat beside Chaeyeon.

Chaeyeon saw who's calling.

 

'My Baby'

 

There goes the sarcastic laugh again. Then she starts talking to herself.

"You're really dumb Lee Chaeyeon..."

"She has a child? What were you thinking..."

"Why her of all people?"

 

Sakura didn't answer the call. Chaeyeon noticed it. She's definitely drunk now.

 

"Answer the call from your girlfriend."

"It's okay. She knows I'm with you."

"Haha...then why is she calling?"

"What's wrong with you? What's your problem?" Sakura raised her voice a bit.

 

Chaeyeon spoke after two shots.

 

"You."

"What?"

"My problem is you."

"I don't get it."

Chaeyeon faced Sakura.

 

"I like you."

 

Sakura froze from her seat. She then faced Chaeyeon.

"I'm in a relationship."

 

"I know. I just found out a while ago."

 

Sakura is about to say something when someone hug her from behind.

 

"There you are... I missed you..."
She kissed her cheek.

 

Eunbi remained clinging to Sakura when she noticed Chaeyeon beside them.

"Looks like she's gonna need a ride home."

Eunbi gave a concerned look to Chaeyeon.

"Don't mind me, I can handle myself."

 

"Let's go home", Eunbi whispered to Sakura.

 

Sakura stood up and took the shot for Chaeyeon while Eunbi stayed behind her.

 

"You had more than enough. Get home safely."

 

 

Chaeyeon stopped drinking.

This time, tears started flowing.

 



 

2 years later

Chaeyeon is in Japan for a conference. She is about to enter the venue when she noticed someone familiar. She gave a second look to confirm if she's right.

She decided to wait at the entrance.

An announcement was given to the delegates, the conference will start in 15 minutes.

The people started swarming at the entrance. Chaeyeon stayed where she is. She looked around and saw the familiar face again.

 

She's sure it's her. It's Sakura.

 

A group of people is about to get in and Chaeyeon joined them. She tried to stay unnoticed but she failed.

 

"Hi!", Sakura greets her first.

"Hi!", Chaeyeon responds.

 

The two moved out of the way and stayed on the side.

 

"How are you?"

"Good."

"You?"

"I'm fine."

"Long time no see."

"Yeah. Really long time."

 

"Are you here alone? Where's Eunbi?", Chaeyeon asked.

 

"Ahm... We're not together anymore", Sakura forced a smile.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that", Chaeyeon gave her a concerned look.

 

Another announcement for the delegates, 5 minutes before the conference starts. It's the final call.

 

Chaeyeon and Sakura entered the venue together. As they were looking for seats, Chaeyeon checks her phone and immediately went to the right side of the venue. Sakura followed her.

A girl is waving at them as they keep on walking. Chaeyeon waved back at her. The girl decided to just meet them halfway.

The girl gave Chaeyeon a tight hug. Sakura moved back a little. Once they let go of each other, Chaeyeon introduced Sakura.

 

"This is Miyawaki Sakura. I've worked with her before on a big project. We met at the entrance. We haven't seen each other for two years. It's good to see her here."

 

Chaeyeon then introduced the girl who hugged her.

 

"Sakura... this is Kim Minju, my girlfriend."

 

Sakura and Minju shook hands and exchange smiles.

 

The announcer, asked the delegates to be seated as the conference is about to start.

 

Sakura looked at Chaeyeon.

 

I'm happy for you.

That's what she wanted to say.

 

Sakura excused herself from the couple as she decided to sit with her team.

 

"It's nice to meet you", she told Minju.

 

"It's nice to see you again", she told Chaeyeon.
 

Sakura turned her back and walked away. She remembered the last time she saw Chaeyeon. Seeing her right now this happy made her feel good inside.

 

She can hear their giggles. She wasn't going to look back but she did. She saw them holding hands. They look so happy.






 


 

-END-