#7 - Intervention

Nuance (Discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the following morning, the atmosphere felt different than the usual. After back-to-back insident yesterday, it seemed like everyone in the house had become a little more tense. When Rosie went downstairs, she found out from the cook that Yoojung hadn't eaten her breakfast yet.

"Mr. Park commanded us to not give Miss Yoojung any food until he tells us to," the cook faintly said. "It's always been like that every time Miss Yoojung does something that upsets him."

After a ten minute long persuation, Rosie managed to convince the scared and concerned cook that she would deliver Yoojung's breakfast by herself. It didn't sound acceptable at all. There was nothing that could justify the action of starving a child as a form of punishment, especially if it was done continuously.

Rosie carefully took her steps and went upstairs to Yoojung's room. Since it was Saturday, she wasn't sure if Chanyeol was still in the house or already left somewhere. The only thing she was positive was that she hadn't caught any glimpse of the assertive man yet. She took it as a good sign.

"Yoojung, it's me," Rosie said as she knocked on the door. "I brought you breakfast. I heard you haven't eaten anything since last evening."

There was no answer from the little girl. Rosie then tried knocking again for several times.

"Leave me alone," a voice finally said. "Stop bothering me."

"Come on, you must be hungry. I hope you understand that I don't agree with your father way's of punishing you at all. Please just come outside and take this food. You can eat it alone in your room if you want."

"No."

"It's alright, Yoojung. Your father is not here."

"I said no! Just get lost! I don't like you."

Rosie let out a long sigh. "Alright. I'm just going to leave this food here in front of your door, so whenever you feel hungry, it's already there. Remember, you have to eat it before it gets cold, okay?"

As expected, there was no answer coming from the other side of the door. Rosie then put the food tray on the floor. She could only be thankful that the house was fearsomely clean, otherwise she would feel disturbed to be putting anything on the wooden floor like that.

When Rosie got up and turned around, a tall man was already standing not too far away from her. It was quite a sigh that nearly made Rosie jump out of her skin. She didn't know why, but just like everyone else in the house, she was also intimidated by the man's mere presence.

"Miss Park, we need to talk," Chanyeol said, crossing his arms. "In private. Now."

Rosie nodded in defeat and voluntarily followed Chanyeol. She knew what was coming, and she was prepared with her defense for that. However, she wasn't sure about what the man had to say. So far, everything he had done and said in front of her was pretty unexpected.

The two then entered the second floor's study. It still looked the same as when Rosie was there previously. The only difference was it now didn't have unbearable cigarette smell like before.

"Miss Park, may I ask what is your role in this house again?" Chanyeol asked, starting the conversation.

Rosie took a deep breath before she could answer. "A tutor, Sir."

"Right. A tutor," Chanyeol smirked shortly. "That's what your supposed role is. You teach my daughter lessons until she makes any significant academic progress, and that's pretty much it."

"Sir, I know what you're trying to say but-"

"I haven't finished talking yet, Miss Park."

Rosie stared at Chanyeol's unimpressed face. She could tell that he was partly offended, even though he looked like he was already upset before.

"Who told you to deliver food to Yoojung?"

"No one. It was all my idea."

"Did you know that she's not allowed to eat anything until she apologizes for her action?"

"But that kind of punishment isn't justifiable at all."

"Miss Park, do you know who are the girls that my daughter nearly choked to death yesterday?"

"I don't know, Sir. Bullies, perhaps?"

"Those bullies are the daughters of a senior congressman and an influential member of the ministry of education."

"And? Those little girls are still bullies."

"You still don't get the idea, do you, Miss Park?" Chanyeol asked before letting out a heavy sigh. "My daughter nearly sabotaged her own future."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Those girls' parents threatened to blacklist Yoojung from being accepted into university and getting any kind of job in the future. Forever. All because of the fight yesterday."

Rosie's eyes widened upon hearing the remark. "What? But Yoojung didn't even do it unprovoked. Do you even know what horrible things those girls said to your daughter?"

"I know."

"Then why did you still punish her? Did you even defend your own daughter in front of them?"

Chanyeol glanced sharply at Rosie. "Do not question me about how I discipline my daughter. You don't even know a thing about my family, Miss Park."

"That's half true, but-"

"Know your boundaries. You're almost crossing the line."

"...I apologize."

"When I decided to accept you, I didn't expect to meet such a nosy young lady. I thought you'd be like those previous tutors; passive and have no interest in their student's life."

"Maybe it's because I wasn't even meant to apply to be a tutor..."

"But you still accepted the offer regardless. The pay must've been quite attractive to you, right?"

"What are you trying to imply?"

"You're here for the money," Chanyeol said as he took a few steps towards Rosie. He slowly lifted Rosie's chin and looked straight into her offended eyes. "Unless you're not interested in getting paid anymore, quit pretending to care about my daughter and just do your job right. Don't intervene with my family's matters."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter