#5 - Journal

Nuance (Discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been a week since Rosie arrived at the Park mansion to work as a tutor—or should she say: an impromptu and faking tutor—for Park Yoojung, the little being who hadn't fully accepted Rosie's role in her house.

And her job was far from easy.

Yoojung showed little interest in any lesson. She spoke only when Rosie asked her, as if she was this kind of static machine that would only work when someone operated her. Although she did anything Rosie asked her to do, it was not the outcome that Rosie wished to see. On top of that, Yoojung never showed any enthusiasm whenever they were together. She would always sulk and frown. Every day seemed like a bad day for Yoojung. She just wouldn't smile, and her gaze always felt impudent. Rosie tried everything to gain her respect and attention but it all seemed useless. Her presence was clearly not wanted.

"You know you can ask questions if there's something you don't understand," Rosie said smiling.

Yoojung just kept silent and stood up from her seat, then proceeded to grab her books and stormed off the study. That day's session was already over. Rosie let out a big sigh as she watched Yoojung's thin figure slowly disappeared from her sight, going upstairs to where her room was.

Why am I even trying?

When Rosie was about to leave the study, something on the floor caught her attention. It was a small, black leather notebook with a shining gold 'S' engraved on the cover. It must've belonged to Yoojung. Curious, Rosie picked it up and opened it carefully. She was certain that it was the notebook that Yoojung used to write down stuff from the tutoring session. She flipped over written pages of the book; not realizing that it was actually a personal journal, until she got to certain page of the book.

January 11th

Mom broke the ceramic again. Dad was really mad, he yelled and got mom crying. I told him it was my fault but he didn't believe me. I wanted to stop mom from crying but uncle Soo took me out for lunch. I didn't want to leave but he insisted, and said that we'd be going to a pizza shop. I really can't say no to pizzas, and I was kinda hungry, so I tagged along with him.

We ordered one big pan of pizza. It was pepperoni... My favorite. It's mom's favorite too but she doesn't like if it's too cheesy. Well, I think she hasn't realized that cheese makes everything better. I ate four slices and almost puked the last one. Uncle Soo scolded me for not knowing when to stop eating, but he ordered another glass of water to make my stomach feel better. When I finished eating I realized that uncle Soo hadn't eat anything... He said he was full and already ate before he came to my house. We took the remaining pizza slices home. I wanted to give it to mom because I know she hadn't eaten since morning. And she loves pepperoni as much as I am.

When we went back home, it was already quiet. The butlers have cleaned up the shattered pieces. Everything looked the usual. I didn't see dad's car in front of the house... I guess he left. I'm happy. I hope he won't return anytime soon. I don't know what happened while I was away but mom was somehow sleeping peacefully in her bed. Her cheeks were still red, and her eyes were still puffy from all the crying. She frowned in her sleep, but I think she still looked pretty. Her hair was messy though. Poor mom... I wish she will stop crying constantly because it makes her look thin. It's not good.

I wanted to take a nap besides mom but uncle Soo forbade me to do so. He said she needed some rest. He told me to go to my room so I did. After an hour, I left my room to get some water, but I saw uncle Soo.....

"What do YOU think you're doing?" Yoojung snarled as she hastily walked towards Rosie and yanked the notebook away from Rosie's hands. She then glared at Rosie, waiting for an explanation. Both of her hands clutched the book tightly in front of her chest. She was furious, but she was also shaking. Her rather tall figure for a middle school student stood firmly in front of Rosie who was much taller than her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"I hate YOU," Yoojung cried and stomped her way out, making that loud cackling noise again with her mid-heeled pumps stepping against the cold marble floor.

Rosie needed a moment to comprehend everything that just happened. She was too speechless that she didn't bother to catch up with Yoojung who already ran upstairs. Her mind was actually occupied thinking about the bit of story she just read. She was correct. Something was going on in the family. Yoojung didn't have a good relationship with her own dad, and seemingly Chanyeol and Sooyoung weren't in good terms either. It wasn't like what Kyungsoo tried to tell Rosie; that they were a happy little family, until an unwanted guest called death came knocking to their door.

Rosie immediately went upstairs to confront Yoojung the moment she came to her senses. She tried knocking on the little girl's door several times, but no answer was heard.

"Yoojung please, I'm sorry...  I didn't mean it," Rosie pleaded.

The concern that Rosie had at that time wasn't about losing her job for making the boss' daughter upset. No, she was more concerned of genuinely offending Yoojung and that the bad mental image that the young girl had in her mind turned out to be true. She didn't read the journal on purpose, she could swear on that. She thought the little black book was some kind of journal where Yoojung take notes during the tutoring session. If she knew that it was Yoojung's personal diary, she wouldn't dare to read it—not even lay a finger on it.

"You made her lock herself in her own room already?", a familiar gruff voice greeted and almost made Rosie jump from her position. Chanyeol was seen standing not far away behind Rosie.

"It- it happened before?"

"With the previous tutors, yes."

"Wait! We need to talk about Yoojung's progress," Rosie called, stopping Chanyeol who was already walking away. "And my salary. And other things too."

Chanyeol turned around and sighed. "Of course. But I don't have that much time. Follow me."

They went to another study in the mansion. It was located on the west side of the second floor, where there was a huge window at the end of the hall facing the backyard. The warm sunlight seemed to be coming in more at this side of the house. The hall seemed more lively with all the light; but everything was still fearsomely clean and vacant. There were at least four rooms on the west hall, with two doors were placed across the other two. Chanyeol stopped at one of the door on the right side of the hall from where they came. 

"After you," he said after opening the door widely.

Rosie stepped inside the study carefully. Everything inside seemed quite stark. There wasn't really many color found, just like the rest of the mansion. Despite the dullness, everything managed to look elegant. If it wasn't because of Rosie's preference, the room would genuinely look interesting.

"Please have a seat," Chanyeol waved at the chair in front a desk that seemed a little messy from afar off. 

There was a pile of documents arranged unevenly on the polished desk. A glass ashtray that was half full with cigarette butts was seen near the papers. Rosie concluded that the man in front of her was a smoker and probably the heavy one. She thought his low and raspy voice was natural, but apparently the smoking had something to do with it. When she sat down, a strong scent of cigarette's smoke abruptly lingered around her nose. Chanyeol must've had just finished smoking not long ago.

"So, how is she?" Chanyeol asked. 

"I think you know my answer. She's been refusing me since day one and it's already been a week," Rosie responded quickly.

"I suppose that it's your job

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter