Chapter 20

A Tale of Two Packs

"I wish you'd let me sleep for more than an hour for once," whined Xion as he sat with Dongmyeong in his room. "Ah, sorry," said Dongmyeong. "I always wondered why I felt so wide awake during missions," he said. "You know, I never thought that this psychic link would be a thing," he said. "I didn't either, but me sleeping at random times throughout the day has kind of cemented the theory," said Xion.

"It's good to see you again though," said Dongmyeong. "Yeah," said Xion. "Same to you," he said. "I don't know what I'm going to do," he said, sighing. "What's wrong?" Asked Dongmyeong. "Wooseok's going to leave," said Xion. "And I don't know where he's going but Gunhak said that he was going to leave, and the others have agreed to leaving," he said.

"You feel like the odd one out," said Dongmyeong. Xion nodded. "Because the others don't have anyone else," he said. "I still have you," he said. "Whatever you decide to do, I'm here if you want to join me," said Dongmyeong.

"I will never be a werewolf hunter though," said Xion. "You can always become a vampire hunter," he said. "I could," said Dongmyeong. "Who's faction were you with in the first place?" Asked Xion. "I don't know if anyone has even heard of it," he said. "I'm a one man faction," said Dongmyeong. "I made my own," he said. "I was the one who created the mantra, "kill those you target, no one else," he said. "It's what all werewolf hunters use now, and those of the Treasure Box faction," he said. Xion nodded.

 

~



"So what's the deal about this deal you presented me with?" Asked Wooseok as he sat outside with Seungwoo. "Well, you know Yixuan's pack right?" Asked Seungwoo. "Of course," said Wooseok. "He disbanded his pack didn't he?" He asked. "Yes," said Seungwoo. "I was contacted by Seungyeon," he said. "He asked me to join his pack, for what reason? I don't know," he said. "He's not the alpha though, he found someone that has yet to start changing and wants to help," he said. "But," he added. "He's not fit for advisor," he said. "According to him anyway," he said. "So he asked me to find someone," he said.

"I won't be taking the alpha position," said Wooseok. "Yes," said Seungwoo. "You'll be advising the alpha, whoever it is, and helping the pack," he said. "He will go to you about everything first, when concerning the pack anyway," he said. "From what I've seen and heard of everyone, there's one other person who's around us in age, and will be the alpha's beta," he said. "Mm," said Wooseok as he nodded.

"Will you take the offer?" Asked Seungwoo. "I think so," said Wooseok. "You'll be there," he said. "Yes," said Seungwoo. "How can you guarantee that this will work?" Asked Wooseok. "You just need to believe in me," said Seungwoo. "And if it doesn't work?" Asked Wooseok. "Then that's that, I won't bother you for anything else, you can retire somewhere," said Seungwoo.

"...And I won't be bothered again," said Wooseok. "Nope," said Seungwoo. "If it works out, you stay until you think they'll be fine without you," he said. "In your opinion," he added. "This is a lot to think about," said Wooseok. "You have time, Seungyeon gave me a few weeks to get back to him with an answer, since he was the one to find Dongmyeong," said Seungwoo. "I see," said Wooseok.

"I personally think you should take the deal," said Byungchan as he stepped out onto the deck and closed the door behind him before going to sit beside Seungwoo. "Yeah, you'll be leaving Jinhyuk and the werewolves behind but they'll be fine," he said. "Dongmyeong's thinking of switching professions, and taking them in as a team," he said. "And Jinhyuk's still got Rocky," he added. "Hm," mumbled Wooseok.

 

~



"Pack meeting!" Called Wooseok, causing everyone to go into the livingroom, wondering what was up. Jinhyuk, Hwanhee and the other werewolves knew what the decision was already, but Wooseok had yet to tell everyone else about his decision.

"It's so rare for you to have a pack meeting like this, what's up?" Asked Jinwook as he turned to Wooseok. "Well," said Wooseok as he scratched the back of his head. "I've decided to step down as alpha," he said. "What?!" Exclaimed everyone but the werewolves, Jinhyuk and Hwanhee.

"In fact, I'll do Kogyeol a favor," said Wooseok. "I'm leaving the pack too," he said. "What the hell Kogyeol?" Shouted Xiao. "I didn't do anything," said Kogyeol. "You finally get your wish, I'm leaving the pack," said Wooseok as he turned his attention to Kogyeol. Kogyeol was speechless for once, sputtering as he tried to figure out what to say.

"I was given an offer I couldn't refuse," explained Wooseok. "So I'm stepping down as alpha, and leaving," he said. "There's a new pack being formed, and I am becoming their advisor for things," he said. "If it doesn't work out I'm going AWOL for the rest of my days," he said. "And frankly, I wouldn't mind it," he said. "I'm tired of all the arguments, and having to deal with everything," he said. "I just want to be something other than alpha for once," he said.

"Don't have to worry about us," said Gunhak. "We'll be leaving too," he added. "I'll help you get a foot into the vampire hunting association, and hopefully get Dongmyeong's faction registered as a vampire hunting faction," said Hwanhee. "After that I'm leaving," he said. "I have missions," he added.

"As for me, I am going to Berlin," said Jinhyuk. "At least I have a better chance to get along with everyone there," he added. "...I guess I gotta help Xiao with being the alpha then," said Jinwook as he sighed. "I guess," mumbled Xiao.

"It's nothing bad," said Wooseok as he turned to Xiao. "Just be mindful of everyone," he said. "I always have, but it's still stupid you know? I tried everything to make this work," he said. "And you know what, I'm happy to leave, I need this break, I need to not be alpha for once," he said before going to pack.

 

~



Wooseok decided to have one last late night talk session, leaving an open invitation for whoever wanted to join him before he left for good. Xion had joined him one last time, with Dongmyeong resting in the two seater chair, his eyes closed though they knew he was listening in on the conversation. Jinhyuk, Seungwoo and Byungchan showed up an hour later, with Hwanwoong who couldn't sleep.

"I still can't get the look of shock that crossed everyone's faces out of my head," said Jinhyuk as he chuckled slightly. "To be honest I'm surprised they didn't see it coming," said Wooseok as he fully reclined back in his recliner, getting comfortable. "I expected more resistance to be honest," said Xion.

"Judging from everyone's expressions I think they were too in shock to try to fight back," Dongmyeong said, opening his eyes as he looked up at the ceiling of the gazebo. "So much happened today," said Seungwoo as he shrugged. "Yeah," said Byungchan. "I'm going to miss being here," said Hwanwoong. "I know we won't be welcome after this," he said, sighing.

"If you ever come to wherever we end up, you're welcome to stay for a few days," said Wooseok. "Definitely," said Seungwoo. "They are open to visitors, as long as they don't cause problems," he added. "We won't cause problems," said Dongmyeong. "A pack of 'shifters aren't a problem for me," he said.

 

~



Their conversations were interrupted by Sunyoul for the last time as he stepped outside, keeping his hands clenched into fists at his side. "It's not going to be fun with you guys gone," he said, sniffling as he tried to hold back his tears. "I wanted to come out yesterday but," he said, looking down. Wooseok got up and walked over to Sunyoul, hugging him tightly as he patted his back. "It'll be alright," he said. "You'll be alright," he said. "Just hang in there, help out Xiao alright?" He asked. Sunyoul nodded.

"We should get going then," said Seungwoo. "We have a pack to meet up with," he added. "I got to go back to Toronto," Byungchan said, sighing as he got up. "I'll head to Berlin with you," said Jinhyuk as he nodded. "Let's get our bags and go," said Wooseok as he moved away, patting Sunyoul on the head. "Stay safe then," he said. Sunyoul nodded, looking away.

"We'll be off to Boston," said Dongmyeong as he got up, stretching. "Does that mean I can get some sleep?" Asked Xion. "Yes, yes you can," said Dongmyeong as he scratched the back of his head. "Yes!" Rejoiced Xion as he threw up a fist in triumph. Everyone chuckled at that.

 

~



"Well, here you go," said Hwanhee as he parked in front of the airport terminal. "Good luck to you," he said to Wooseok. "Thank you," said Wooseok. "Stay safe during the missions," he said. "Will do," said Hwanhee.

"Have fun on the trip to Boston," said Seungwoo. "And to Toronto," he added. "Good luck with the new pack hyung," said Byungchan. "Yeah, this is going to be different, that's for sure," said Seungwoo as he chuckled some. "Go, before you miss your fight," said Hwanhee. Wooseok, Seungwoo and Jinhyuk grabbed their bags and waved to the others before entering the terminal.

"Well," said Jinhyuk as he turned to Wooseok. "Here's to new beginnings?" He asked. "Yep," said Wooseok as he nodded. "To new beginnings," said Seungwoo as he held out his fist. "To new beginnings," said Wooseok and Jinhyuk as they bumped fists.