The Ice Cream Monkey

Monkey Business
"That doesn't suit him at all," Emily commented, shaking her head at her friend, Lorene, who held up a dark blue shirt. 
Lorene pouted, "But this is like the zillionth shirt I've picked out and you said no to every single one of them!" she wined, huffing and putting the shirt back onto the rack.

The two were shopping for a birthday present for their friend, Wang Zi, and the whole teaching department at Guava High School were planning to throw him a surprise party. "I'm sorry but Wang Zi really wouldn't look good in that one especially," Emily explained, leaning against the wall whilst Lorene groaned and searched for something else. "Why a shirt of all things though?" she asked, "That's pretty hard."
"Because I don't have any ideas," Lorene replied, "Every year I've given him something he's wanted but all my ideas have already been used up now," she sighed sadly as she stopped searching.

Lorene sighed again and turned around to look at her friend who was very unhelpfully just watching her whilst drinking bubble tea. "So... what did you get, gift expert?" she inquired, folding her arms questioningly.
"A new tennis racket," Emily responded blankly as she continued to sip her drink through her straw. "Wang Zi is a tennis freak and he was sad when his favourite racket broke the other day," she explained.

"Wang Zi still plays tennis?" 

The two turned around to see a familiar face which they did not want to see. Emily removed the straw from her lip and her face fell as she looked at the face she had never wanted to see again.

The male before them laughed mockinly, "Wang Zi is still a loser I see and you're terrible at gifts, Emmy," he commented with a smirk.
Emily felt her free hand ball up into a fist at her side, "Don't call me Emmy," she spat coldly and with a hard glare.
The male laughed and approached her and gently caressed her cheek, "What, didn't you used to love it when I called you that?" he questioned.
With a new found anger boiling in her heart, Emily slapped him across the face, "Get out of my sight, Sean," she snarled. 

Sean chuckled again and rubbed his cheek, "I see you're still as feisty as ever," he said with a smile.
Lorene scowled and stepped forward, "Please leave us alone, Sean, we don't want to deal with you," she said, irritated.
"Oh so that's why you left Little Apple High to come to Guava High," he concluded in a fake surprised voice. "That just shows how you can't separate your private life from work: you were always bad at it, Emmy," he added.
Emily narrowed her eyes at him and her facial features tensed, "Look Sean, what happened in the past is in the past. I don't know you now, okay?" she said through gritted teeth.

Sean folded his arms, still smiling mischievously, "Sure Emmy, but you'll have to know me again soon," he replied with a shrug.
"What do you mean?" Lorene questioned, "We won't ever see you again!"
A scoff escaped his lips and he turned to leave, "We'll see," he said before leaving them. 

When Sean had left, a deep exhale left Emily's lips and her muscles relaxed. "What is he doing in Taiwan?" she muttered, "Didn't he go to London?"
Lorene cast her friend a worried look, "Well he's here now... I don't think we'll be able to avoid him forever..." she responded quietly before put a hand on her friend's shoulder, "Are you okay, Em?"
Despite the small smile and nod she responded with, many memories resurrected in Emily's mind - memories she thought he had completely locked away. She felt her heart beat quicken as hurt and hatred entered her heart.



"I hate you," she spat with tears streaming down her face, "I never want to see you again!" she cried, banging on his chest with balled up fists until she caused him to stumble backwards. 

She pushed him away violently but he just stared at her, silently and remorselessly. The lack of regret and guilt in his expression fueld the anger she felt until she felt that she could no longer hit him. She then turned her back to him and furiously wiped at her tears with the back of her hands. 

It was then when he took a slow step towards her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Emmy..." his voice was low and emotionless.

She  his hand away and glared at him, "Get out of my sight!" she shouted at him, "Go away!"

...

"This was actually a really good idea, Jiro," Calvin said with a smile as he, Jiro and Danson set up a stall in the park.
"Of course it is, I thought of it," Jiro replied proudly.

The friends had spent the previous night and the whole morning making banana flavoured ice cream with dark chocolate chips to sell in order to get rid of all the bananas Jiro was stuck with. It was a great way of making some nice with them and making profits out of it too.

As Danson began serving their first dew customers, he looked over at his brothers who were putting on aprons and ice cream hats, "Jiro, where did you even get so many bananas?" he laughed.
Jiro and Calvin exchanged smirks of secrecy. "I might have gotten into a little accident with a truck carrying bananas the other day," he admitted sheepishly.
Danson rolled his eyes and scoffed, "You're just full of surprises, aren't you, Jiro?" he said as he scooped some ice cream into a cone and handed it to a little girl. He shook his head in disbelief with a smile.

"Do you think Cyndi and Gui Gui will be alright delivering the ice cream to Dylan?" asked Jiro after a few minutes.
"Yes," Calvin responded, "Stop worrying," he said before hooking a tray of ice cream cone holders around his neck. He then started filling the holes with cones filled with ice cream, "Now go reach those customers on the other side of the park," he instructed and Jiro nodded.
"Yes, sir!" Jiro exclaimed, saluting playfully, "Oh wair, I mean, Yes father!"
Calvin hit his shoulder before returning to Danson's side.

Danson looked up at the two of them, "Father?" he repeated with a laugh, "What weird roleplay have you been doing behind my back?"
Jiro just smiled before walking away from their stall and walking around the park to find new customers. 

After an hour, Jiro had noticed that the ice creams were beginning to melt under the sun as the ice keeping them cool had already turned to mush. He sighed and sat down for a quick break - most of the ice creams had been sold anyway. He only had two left. "One more customer..." he muttered, searching the park from where he was sitting. His eyes darted right to left and left to right for possible customers but there was no one. Everyone else seemed to have bought ice cream already. 

Jiro looked down at the two remaining cones, 'Will I have to eat two?' he thought, standing up, 'Just wait a little longer, Jiro. You might find a new customer,' he told himself before walking again. Suddenly, his eyes landed on a familiar figure sitting alone on a bench. Her eyes were fixated downwards but she seemed to be in a daze.  Jiro noticed that her eyes reflected a sadness he didn't understand, but nontheless, he still approached her. 

He sat down beside her and held out an ice cream in front of her eyes, "One ice cream to cheer up this little girl!" he exclaimed, beaming.

Emily looked up to see Jiro beside her and wearing a smile as well as typical ice cream man clothes. He remained still, holding the ice cream for her and smiling, whilst she just stared at him. Seeing his smile somehow lifted her heart and made the corners of her lips curl upwards.

"I'm not a little girl," she muttered, taking the ice cream from him.
"What?!" Jiro exclaimed and jumping backwards in an exaggerated manner, obviously acting. He stood in front of her, "Then the ice cream is on me as an apology, ma'am," he said, bowing. However, when he did his 90° bow, his hat fell off his head and landed at her feet. Emily didn't know why, but laughter escaped her lips at his childishness.

Jiro picked up the hat and sat down beside her again. "Did you just laugh, King Kong Jie Jie?" he inquired mischievously, "I didn't know you could do such a thing!" he continued, "Who knew King Kong's could feel happiness?" he questioned no one in particular.
Emily slapped his shoulder lightly, "What are you doing selling ice cream anyway?" she questioned, tasting the creamy dessert.
"Finding a use for all those bananas," he informed her with a smile. He leaned back in the bench and began eating the last ice cream. 
Emily nodded in understanding, "That's a good idea," she replied and he nodded. "You look silly," she added with a small smile.
"Thanks for the complement," Jiro smirked, "I'm a handsome Ice cream man, aren't I?"
"Whatever," Emily muttered.

The two were then silent for a few minutes until Jiro spoke up again.
"How come you're here alone?" he asked in a quieter voice.
"What's it to you?" she inquired in a low voice, but it was not fierce.
"You looked sad," Jiro replied, focusing on  his ice cream, "You look as though you have been crying or extremely distressed."
Emily's hand tightened around her cone but then she showed him a smile. "Don't worry about it, I'm fine," she reassured him, "Besides, this ice cream was just what I needed so thanks, Jiro. I feel much better," she admitted. 
"It was no problem," replied Jiro before standing up to leave, "Don't let sadness get to you, Emily. Make sadness only a temporary thing because there are so many things better for you out there. Make it happiness that lasts a lifetime," he advised.

Emily looked up at him, surprised. Such simple words from him felt more meaningful than when said by someone else. She knew those words already... but the fact that they left his lips that usually spouted nonsense to annoy her, was now making her heart beat faster. 

"Thank you."

...

Cyndi and Gui Gui had just finished delivering boxes of ice cream to Dylan at his restaurant and were now heading to the carpark to leave. As they approached Gui Gui's car, a voice stopped them.

"Cyndi?"

Cyndi turned around and smiled when she saw who it was. "Sean?" she asked in surprise.

Sean looked over at Gui Gui who looked at him, unfamiliar with him, and showed the two a smile, "Why don't I treat the two of you to coffee?" he asked and Cyndi nodded, maintaining her smile.