4 years later

He, the fool who doesn't even know my heart (내 마음을 모르는 그 바보)

 [4 years later]

“Jiyul-ah, where are you now? The new boss has arrived from the States already!” My co-worker aka one of the closest friends I had in my workplace - Ayumi shouted over the phone.

“Ouch~” I winced softly as my eardrums were about to explode so she couldn’t hear.

“Okay okay! I will be reaching there soon if you stop calling me,” I flipped down my phone and watched out for the red light to turn green.

“Ah, out of all days, why must I be late on the day the new boss will be coming?” I hissed.

Just when the red light turns green, I ran as fast as I could on my heels to my workplace. Before stepping into the office, I arranged my hair neatly and the ends of my skirt.

“Good morning,” I didn’t forget to greet with a smile as I walked to my place.

“ya! Where’s my big breakfast and pancake?” Ayumi came rushing to my place.

I face palmed, “! I left it on the MacDonald’s’ counter!”

“What?! Ya! I haven’t eaten my breakfast yet!” she rested her hands on her waist.

“Sorry… I haven’t eaten mine too… I’ll treat you lunch okay?” I pouted. She nodded and return to her place.

Just then, our leader clapped our hands to get our attention.

“attention, everyone! Our new boss wanted to meet you personally in the office. I’ll call your name and you may go in. firstly, lee sangwook,” he called out the first person.

There were whispers circulating around the room. everyone was wondering what was the new boss doing. With my three years of experience working here, I’ve never seen a boss who have time to personally meet all his 53 workers in our department. I looked at Ayumi all confused and she too gave me a confused look.

I wonder who he is.

“ah! Our new boss is so handsome!” I heard one of the girls talking with her friends right after she exited that new boss’s office.

“omg! He’s so beautiful!” another girl squealed.

Is he really what they say? Beautiful and also handsome at the same time?

“lee Jiyul!” he called my name. I stood up and straightened the ends of my skirt before twisting the door knob.

“annyeonghaseyo, my name is lee Jiyul,” I bowed politely.

“Oh, Jiyul-ah!”

I was flabbergasted. I couldn’t utter a single word. Is this too good to be true?”

“Ouh, Jaejoong?” I blinked my eyes.

“What are you doing here?” I asked him the obvious.

“I… I’m working? Is it wrong?” he tilted his head.

“n-no, absolutely not. How have you been?” my mouth couldn’t help but to smile.

“Great!”

I could simply nod. Iwas just too happy?

“So, miss Jiyul. Since I know you, your meeting session is over with me,”

“Oh, then, goodbye Mr. Kim Jaejoong,” I emphasized before bowing and left.

My face was flushing red the moment I closed his door. I was too happy to finally meet him again. Everyone in the office thought I was going head over heels over the new boss like the other girls did. But they didn’t know that mine was just a little bit different.

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Cheers!” the sound of glasses clanking echoed in the room.

“Cheers to our new boss!” everyone had their bottoms up and clanked one more time. It was Jaejoong.. ehem Mr. Kim Jaejoong’s treat today. Everyone had fun with all the singing and delicious food. I smiled as I watched Jaejoong talking to his employee, from the other end of the table. His face was healthier than before.

Because we were sitting very far from each other, we couldn’t talk but exchange glances. Just like that, the dinner was over and everyone was returning back home.

“Bye!” Ayumi waved to me before exiting, leaving Jaejoong and me alone. I quickly checked my phone for any missed calls before reaching out for my handbag and walked to the exit.

“jiyul-shi, do you want me to send you home?” someone invited me over.

I turned around to see him behind me.

“it’s okay. My bus stop is quite near here. You should go home. Goodbye,” I bowed and walked out.

Later, I heard footsteps coming nearer to me. It was Jaejoong came running, catching up with me.

“I’ll walk you to the bus stop then. It’s dangerous for women to walk alone at night,”

I simply nod.

“How’s Jessica?” I broke the silence.

“Jessica and I have broken up shortly after our divorce. I heard she went back japan and since then I didn’t hear anything from here.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized.

“Nah, it’s okay. How about you? Have you found someone?”

“Nope, he hasn’t come yet,” I curled the few strands of my hair behind my ear.

“Hey, you still have that habit of curling your hairs behind your ear,” he uttered suddenly about the past.

“U-uh... Yeah… you still remember?” I was surprised he could still remember after 4 years.

“I-I” he rubbed the back of neck. “Well, oh is that your bus stop?” he changed the topic.

“I guess we have to end today here,” I smiled sheepishly. “Goodbye and sweet dreams,” I continued and walked to the bus stop.

Just then, a faded memory played in my mind.

FLASHBACK

“What about you?” I snapped out of my daze.

“I-I’m okay with it. ermmm, there’s this thing that I always believe in whenever I’m meeting someone for the last time. I believed that if we meet again next time, it means that we are fated to see each other. And I really hope we can, you know, meet and have a talk,”

“I hope to meet you again… most probably at your wedding,” he rubbed his neck shyly as he chuckled but I didn’t. I awkwardly smile.

“So, I got to go .t-take care,” I dragged my suitcase

END OF FLASHBACK

I stopped. I clutched onto my handbag’s strap tightly. I bit my lips as I remembered those words. Could it be that we are really fated? Could this mean that we are not meant to be together in the past but later? At the same time, my bus pulled off at the bus stop. Which way should I go? Get on the bus and start a new life or run to jaejoong whom I assumed has left right now and confess all the feelings I had.

I stared at the bus.

I don’t wanna miss this chance. I don’t want it to pass by so easily.

I took a step back and turned around; ready to run to wherever he is right now.

“Jaejoong…” I was surprised to see him still standing where he let me off.

He smiled as took out his hands from his pocket, cooly

“Why did you turn around? Do you by any chance remember something too?” he asked the obvious.

“Jaejoong, you …” my words trailed off. Tears were at the brim yet I controlled it from flowing.

“Someone told me that if I believed that if I and that person meet again next time, it means that we are fated to see each other,” he repeated the words I said to him before.

“Looks like, we are,” he continued.

Without hesitation, I ran to him and embraced him tightly.

“Jaejoong, saranghae. I really love you,” I let the tears fell, soaking his suit.

“I’m sorry for keeping this for 5 years. I really have fallen in love with you,” I continued, letting all the 5 years of feelings that build up

Jaejoong wrapped his hands around my waist. What seemed like eternity, he broked from the hug, “me too,”

“jaejoong…”

He cupped my face and leaned in closer and met his lips onto mine. I closed my eyes and accepted his kiss. He wrapped his hands around my waist, pulling me closer into his heated embrace. He kept it slow yet passionate.

It was our second kiss. One was from the wedding and another was now. I'm glad that I went the right route - to be with Jaejoong

___________________________________________________________________________________

“jaejoong, when did you like me?” I asked him in the empty bus.

He rubbed his temples as he recalled, “I think it was the first day of our wedding. Remember when you asked me to look deep into your eyes? I think that was the beginning,”

FLASHBACK

“Look me in the eyes and say that you are really sure you want this. Don’t regret it,” I asked him for the last time.

He looked straight at my eyes and grabbed my shoulders as if he really was sure. I could see my reflection on his dark brown eyes.

“I—I’m sure about this and won’t regret it,”

FLASHBACK

“Ah, that explains why you were stuttering. And to think back, you were the first you violated the rules! What is this? You were the one who made the contract and break the rules first,”

I slapped his arms and he winced in pain.

I smiled sheepishly.

“Jiyul-ah, do you want to see our house?”

“You still live there?”

He nodded.

“Okay, let’s go. But one thing, don’t let our workers know anything about this okay?”

“Ayumi?”

“Only Ayumi, okay?”

And the conversation goes on and on in that empty love bus

_____________________________________________________________________________

 

Well, who knew that Jaejoong was also falling for Jiyul all this time?

Fool! She didn’t know until now.

Jiyul… she was the fool I was talking about.

The fool who doesn’t even know my heart

Until today…