Ten: Some things never change, a Christmas Special

Way Back Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

AFTER SOME MONTHS

 

Hyewon hummed softly before roaming her eyes around her unit, smiling happily as she finished all cleaning every corner of her place. She decided to clean her unit for the reason that she might be not staying here for a couple of days. Considering that she will be staying in someone else’s house for the Christmas Eve.


Giving a final check on her place if she might forget about something, Hyewon goes out from her unit when she’s sure that everything is settled. Making her move to the compartment of her car to check her stuff if it’s completed, smiling happily seeing some gifts she prepared.


“Let’s go!” Hyewon cheered on herself as she went inside her car.


Hyewon skipped happily on the sidewalk after a half hour of driving to her destination, hands full of plastic bags as she made her way to the familiar house that she has been visiting for the past months.


“Knock knock.” She said while knocking the door using her feet since her hands are not free. 


“I won’t open the door, you are not Twice.” The voice from inside said with her teasing tone making Hyewon chuckled.

“But I am your favorite baby.” Hyewon whines.


She smiled when the door opened and a beautiful woman is smiling at her, those orbs just like Hyewon’s are screaming so much happiness as soon as she saw Hyewon.


“Mooooom~~~” Hyewon said sweetly as she went to embrace her mother.


“Oh? What brings you here?” Her mother asked after returning the hug, the two of them went inside the not so big but cozy and homey house.


“I told you that I will visit you before Christmas, I said that to you last week when I went here. Don’t tell me you forgot it?” Hyewon pouted while her mother is helping her from the plastic bags that she was holding earlier.


“I didn’t. But you said you will spend your Christmas with Wonyoung and Eunbi.” Her mother said as she put the groceries that Hyewon bought for her.


 Well, it’s always been like this, Hyewon won’t forget to bring groceries for her mother and some gifts once whenever she visits her. It’s the least thing she can do, at first her mother is telling her not to do it, but at the end she can’t stop her stubborn daughter from doing things for her.


Hyewon is also glad that her father isn’t saying anything whenever Hyewon will visit her mother. It’s just hard for her since her parents were divorced. But she would rather want her mother be happy enjoying her life alone than to let her spend her life being in unhappy marriage. Hyewon knew it, when she was in her middle school, her parents are far from each other, she knew they don’t really love each other and they are just forced to be together because she happened. But her parents don’t let her feel that she is a bad news for them. They gave her the love that every parents should give to their child. She is so much grateful for that.

But it was hard lately cause Hyewon can see the changes on her father, the changes that she doesn’t like to experience. Hyewon can feel something is wrong with her father. 


That made Hyewon to promise to herself not to let Wonyoung experience the same thing that she had with her family. She will make it different. She won’t let her daughter to have a broken family. 


“Yes, I will.” Hyewon said, her mother looked at her and smiled.


“Does your father knows?” Her mother asked and Hyewon nodded her head. “What did he say?”


“Nothing, he just nodded his head. I thought he will not allow me but he just let me.” Hyewon said and her mother is glad knowing that.


“I can see that your relationship with Eunbi is getting better, hmm?” Her mother said.


“Yes, mom. I’m glad that Eunbi tried to open her feelings to me again and she gave me another chance to be with them again.” Hyewon sighed softly, full of happiness whenever she remembers that night.


It’s been months after their confrontation happened during their dinner date. It’s been months after Eunbi gave her another chance and Hyewon couldn’t be happier after getting that. She’s never been happy with her life these past years. 

Hyewon even feel her stomach churning in a good way. Her relationship with Eunbi is getting better as the older girl isn’t distancing herself instead she really breaks down her wall for Hyewon and let the younger enter their life again.

Hyewon can really see that Eunbi is trying.


“Don’t waste your chance, okay? I don’t like other in-law beside Eunbi. She’s the only one I am accepting.” Her mother said seriously but softly at the same time. 


“Mom, you know me. I don’t want anyone else than Eunbi.” Hyewon grinning like a kid, her mother ruffles her hair seeing how her only daughter growing and she can’t help but to hug Hyewon.


But their little moment cut off when Hyewon’s phone rings, checking it and her lips automatically curved up when she saw the caller’s ID even her mother grinned at her. “Go, answer it.” 

 

“Hello, Eun?” Hyewon answered.


“Mama! It’s me, Wonyoungie! Do you miss Mommy? She is busy cooking our food later, do you want me to give her the phone so you can talk to her?” 


Hyewon chuckles at how energetic the little kid.


“It’s fine, baby. Let Mommy cook at peace. So, why my baby bunny called?” Hyewon asked, she heard then Wonyoung muttered something.


“I’m gonna ask, what time will you come here? Cause I don’t have anyone to play with me though Yena-unnie is here but Mommy keeps on calling her for a help…” 


Hyewon smiled after hearing it, she knows her daughter is pouting while playing with her feet.


“I’ll be there soon, I’m just having some bonding with your Momma.” Hyewon grinned and looked at mother who is just listening to her.


“Oh! Momma? Let me talk to her, pleaseeee…” Wonyoung said excitedly and Hyewon chuckles before giving it to her mother.


She looked at her mother with a smile on her face while listening to their talk. Hyewon even laughed when she heard Wonyoung saying to her Momma that she should stop working in the hospital because Hyewon is already rich and she even say that she will ask for a money from Hyewon to make her Mommy Eunbi’s café bigger than the others.


“Your daughter is really cheerful as ever.” Hyewon’s mom chuckles while helping Hyewon to packed the foods she cooked for Wonyoung and Eunbi since she can’t come with her.


“Mom, are you sure you really can’t go with me?” Hyewon asked once again, she really wants her mother to spend her Christmas with them but seems like it is impossible.


“I want to but I still have a scheduled surgery later, I don’t know how many hours it will last.” Her mom said that made her pout.


“I will really buy that hospital, it’s holiday but you will celebrate Christmas inside the hospital.” Hyewon sighed, call her childish right now but she just wants her mom to be with them.


“Aigoo, you know how I love my work and I am glad I can save life, but as soon as I finish the surgery I will go.” Her mother said, making her smile get wider and went in for a hug.


“Great! Wonyoung also wants you to be there.” Hyewon giggles and her mom could only smile at her before caressing her hair softly.

 

 

“Mommy! Are you still not done cooking?”


Eunbi looked at Wonyoung who is jumping excitedly, her pigtails are also bouncing as she moves.


“I am almost done here, why baby?” She asked. Eunbi then looked at Yena when the girl placed a bowl with apples in it. Wonyoung quickly get one for herself.


“I made a gift for Mama, do you think she will like it?” Wonyoung then showed her gift to Eunbi and Yena, the two cracked a smile seeing the cute thing.


“Your Mama will surely love it.” Yena said softly, ruffling the kid’s hair.

“She will love any gifts if you’re the one who will give it.” Eunbi chuckles and she saw how her daughter’s eyes lit up from what she said, making her heart melt from that view.


“I’m gonna wrap this first, don’t let Mama know about it!~” Wonyoung then dashed inside her room causing the two older to chuckle at her adorable she is. 


“How’s you and Hyewon?” Yena suddenly asked while Eunbi is stirring.


“We’re doing good, why did you ask?” Eunbi then looked at her.


“I’m really glad when I heard from Hyewon that you finally gave her another chance.” Yena said and Eunbi smiled at her.


“If you only see how her smile won’t leave her face since that day especially when she will hear your name, Minjoo even said to me that too whenever she sees Hyewon in her office. You really got her.” Yena continued and Eunbi can’t remove the smile on her face from it, she can imagine Hyewon’s face and it makes her heart trembles in a good way.


“I’m really happy for the both of you especially for Wonyoung, she always tells me before how she wants to have her family complete especially in this kind of occasion.” Yena added, Eunbi then looked at Wonyoung’s room and she can’t help to smile seeing her kid so excited for today, she knows Wonyoung really anticipated for this.


“She’s worth it.” Eunbi said softly, Yena smiled at how sweet it came out from Eunbi’s mouth. 

Even the person who is watching them has a wide smile on her face after hearing it. Hyewon knocked on the wooden frame door she’s leaning on to get their attention and she successfully get it.


“Are you going to spend your Christmas here?” Hyewon asked Yena since the girl’s family is leaving in countryside which is far from them except her father but Hyewon knows he is current busy working for her father.

“Yeah, is that okay?” Yena asked shyly.

“Tss, of course, you don’t need to ask.” Hyewon chuckles at her friend.

“Okay, Yuri might come here too.” Yena grinned and she only nodded her head.

“I expected it. Duh, you two always spend your Christmas together.” Hyewon stated.

“Yes! I’ll go to Wonyoung.” Yena said, leaving the two alone, she knows that it’s her time to leave.


Hyewon then stared at Eunbi who is busy turning off the stove, the older then turned around to greet her.


“Hi…” Eunbi smiled at her.

That smile never failed to send a shocked wave to the butterflies in Hyeweon’s stomach, Eunbi always did that to her.


“Hi…” Hyewon greeted shyly after Eunbi’s eyes dropped to her.


“You came here alone?” Eunbi asked to the younger.

“Hmm yeah, Mom said she’ll follow around since she still need to operate a patient later.” Hyewon replied and the older nodded her head.


Then, that’s it. After Hyewon answering Eunbi’s question, the two lovers are just staring at each other with a soft smile plastered on their face. 

Hyewon is sometimes shy around Eunbi, so does the older but they are doing their best not to. Though it’s still sometimes hard to remove the awkwardness but both knows that they shouldn’t be especially that they used to each other’s gestures since they were married before. The divorce is just the additional thing happened but their love and admiration for each other never changed.


“Eun…” Hyewon bits her lower lips, her voice is full of hesitation.
m

“Hmm?” Eunbi asked, eyes not leaving Hyewon’s orbs.


“Can I get a hug from you?” Hyewon asked, shyness is hinted on her voice while scratching her nape.


Eunbi then chuckle at the sudden question that the younger gave her, Hyewon though is getting nervous and she was on the verge of scolding herself in her mind when Eunbi finally talked.


“Why are you even asking?” Eunbi chuckles making Hyewon blinks her eyes.


“Just for a permission, I don’t want you to get uncomfortable…” Hyewon then played with her finger.


“Come here…” Eunbi said softly making Hyewon’s face lit up after hearing her.


Hyewon then felt her heart thumps faster the moment she wrapped her arms around Eunbi’s body, her smile even got wider as soon as Eunbi put her bare arms around her. 


“I missed you, I missed this.” Hyewon sighed in contentment as she inhales Eunbi’s vanilla scent, the warmth feelings are filling her entire system.


“I’ve missed you too. Does work stresses you out?” Eunbi asked softly, carefully patting Hyewon’s back.


“Kinda, it’s really hard for me since I might end up handling the company after dad’s done with all his work.” Hyewon muttered, hugging Eunbi tightly afraid that the older might slipped away and was just a dream that Hyewon is afraid to happen.


“You are doing great.” Eunbi cheered up to the younger, hoping that it’s enough to remove even a little bit of stress that Hyewon has right now.


What Eunbi doesn’t aware of is even her simple presence along with Wonyoung can make all the tiredness from Hyewon fad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter