Refuge

Road to Perdition

Well... I'm still alive... sorry for not updating this story for almost 4 months(?)

 

Guess who's going to have a cameo on this chapter?

 

===================================================================================================

 

I was awoken with the annoying ringing of my phone.

Who the hell is in his right mind to call at this untimely hour of the night?

Without looking at the number, I directly answered the call. I am still groggy from the lack of sleep but the call seemed urgent.

“Hyung…” the voice on the other side of the line trailed off. When I recognized whose voice it was, my mind was immediately pulled out from the realms of sleep and sat abruptly on my bed. Well, I have a bad feeling about this.

“Jongie??? What’s wrong? You’re supposed to be resting already.”

“Hyung, can … can you get me here from the park?” He replied, voice thick, as if he wanted to cry but he couldn’t.

“Okay… wait… what are you doing there at this time of the night?” I slowly rose from my position and grabbed my coat and an extra coat for him. Knowing him, I had a feeling that he was sitting at the park with only his sleeping clothes on. I quietly grabbed my car keys on the dresser and crept out of our room. I bought my own car the moment that I received my driver’s license but seldom did I use it. Of course, using the team’s car is much efficient and could save me from buying gas for my own car. I was shocked to find out that some of our members were not sleeping yet and were just lounging in our living room.

“Kiseop-hyung, going somewhere?” Our maknae asked me. I gave him a little nod as I wear my shoes.

“Is it him again?” Kevin questioned. He was the only one that knew about my relationship with INFINITE’s maknae. I looked at him and knew he understood. Aside from me, Kevin knew of what he was going through and developed a motherly instinct with that kid. He would often tease us that I am going to be the father, he would be the mother, and Sungjongie would be our eldest son and Dongho would be our youngest son in our small family.

Kevin slowly rose from the couch and entered his room with Dongho trailing after him. I knew that he would be preparing his bed since his oldest son will be sleeping over tonight. I drove in complete silence, contemplating on everything. From the moment that I met Lee Sungjong, to the time that he became sick, and up to this time that he was fighting alone with his sickness and would often come to me for comfort and support. I have no clue what was happening to them in their dorm but I could feel the neglect and abandonment that Sungjong was experiencing. Every time he was with me, he was so far from being the bubbly and jolly maknae of INFINITE and he would only stare at the space, maybe questioning himself why his life was being so unfair to him. How ironic it was that Sungjong found comfort in us but only hurt and misery from his other members. If there situation would leak to the public, it will surely create big issues and I don’t know what will happen to them next.

I reached the park in record time and looked for him in the deserted park. I sighed in relief when I found a lone figure, swaying in the swing while wrapping his thin arms around his body. It was Sungjong. And I was so thankful that he was safe. I went out of my car with the coat tucked in my right arms and walked towards him.

“Jjong…” I tapped his shoulders and almost gasped when he realize that he was so cold. I gently put the coat around his shoulders and assisted him to stand up. I don’t know that extent of his situation since the park was so dark but I can hear short puffs of breath coming out from him.

“Can you walk?” I asked him and he gave me a small nod. He tried to take a step but he suddenly faltered. Of course, he’s too weak to even take a step. I want to hit my head for my idiocy. “Come on Jjong…I’m going to carry you.”

The moment that I secured him in my back, he laid his head on my shoulders and I felt the heat that was emitting from his body. Realization dawned upon me, that Sungjong was lighter compared to the time that I first carried him. When we arrived at my car, I put him beside the driver’s seat and buckled him with the seatbelt.  Double checking if he was already safe in his seat, I started the engine and drove off to our dorm.

The entire ride to our dorm, Sungjong was asleep, his cheeks flushed and breathing hardly. When we arrived at the apartment’s lobby, I saw Kevin waiting for us with worried looks and Dongho with questioning eyes. I planned to wake up Sungjong but I decided against it. Unbuckling him from his seat, I carried him towards the two at the same time questioning Kevin if we have some fever medicine at our dorm. Dongho was shocked when he saw who am I carrying and I knew that he would interrogate me later. The three of us walked in silence. No one dared to ask any question of what, why, and how. Dongho opened the door for us and Kevin helped me in positioning Sungjong on his bed. Dongho came inside the room carrying a set of pajama.

“I think Jjongie-hyung needs to change his clothes.” He told me as he offered his own pajamas. “He’s my older brother, right?” He continued with a smile.

I gently peeled off Sungjong’s own clothes from him and anger bubbled through my veins when I saw the bruising on his wrists and shoulders. Dongho gently caressed Sungjong’s bruised wrist while giving me a questioning look. Kevin entered the room while carrying a tray of medicine and he almost drop it when he saw the glaring bruise on his ‘eldest son’s’ wrist. “I also don’t know,” I muttered while shaking my head and went to the bathroom to get a basin of water and a wash towel. I situated myself beside Sungjong and pat his face with the wet towel.

I sent Dongho and Kevin off to sleep but the latter decided to stay with me.

“Hyung…” Dongho trailed off. “Tomorrow, maknae.” I knew what Dongho wanted to ask me but that night I felt so drain to explain everything to him.

“Just sleep already Dongho, it’s late.” Kevin urged him to sleep. I really am so drained that time. Many things were running through my mind and one of it was how to explain to our leader the presence of INFINITE’s maknae in our dorm.

“Kiseop-hyung? What really happened to him?”

“I don’t have any clue.” Kevin raised one of his brow not satisfied with my answer. “Maybe something bad happened at their dorm again.”

“Hyung, rest…” He put a supportive hand on my shoulders. “I will look after him tonight… you still have an early schedule tomorrow.” I put my hand on top of his. “Thanks saeng.” I walked out of the room giving the both of them a last glance.

I am thankful that Kevin didn’t question me anymore but eventually the truth will come out. I heaved a heavy sigh as I sit on my bed, relief knowing that Sungjong is safe with Kevin but scared of what will happen tomorrow. I recalled the incident that drawn me to  INFINITE's maknae. A single twist of event that brought me close to him. It was still fresh in my memories the moment that he collapsed in front of me while we were recording for some variety show that I already forgot. It scared the hell out of me but since that time, I felt a weird attachment towards him. From that moment on, I would send him some messages asking him how his day went, if he was feeling fine, or if he has eaten something. But only a few months since I established my friendship with him, his life has gone haywire. And that is scaring me because I learned to love him...not that kind of love that you would share with your lovers but with the love that you would possess for your family.

His relationship with s is not that good off-cam. Everything about his life is in a complete mess...especially his health. Doctors can't diagnose what was wrong with him and with each passing day, I know that it was slowly taking a fragment of his life. Every week he will be subjected into random testings. Every part with his body will be pricked with several syringe of different sizes. Different kind of medicines would be added to his stash just to ease out some of the pain he was experiencing but that was not enough. There is no medicine to cure the emotional pain he is experiencing. There is no medicine that can mend his relationship with the rest of s and there is no medicine to soothe his broken heart. The only thing he can do is to be strong...to be positive that someday he could see even a tiny glimpse of hope. And that's why he remained strong...strong for the sake of himself and for the rest of INFINITE that failed to acknowledge who he really was...his worth and importance in their group. He stayed strong for his fans that were beginning to worry about him. He remained strong for the sake of someone that he secretly love but can't show his feelings towards him. It's an irony how much he valued those people that can not even recognize his true value.

Heaving out a sigh, I grabbed my phone before I settled down on my bed.  

Hyung... His with me and he has a fever.

I'm going to get his backpack and medicines later.

After I sent the message, I closed my eyes hoping that that person received my message and still cared for the maknae.

=======================================================================================

 

First of all... sorry for the typos and grammatical errors in this chap...

And the reason why did I introduce him in this story was... basically I feel in love with their interaction during ISC and up till now... I can't get over with it.

Question: Who do you think did Kiseop texted?

 

PS: Please subscribe and comment...

 

I love you all guys....

 

Bye-bye!!!