Chapter 3

Almost

Now that he knew who Jongwoon was, he not only needed to ask for help in singing, but wanted to ask for help desperately. He still did not know why this stranger called his attention so much and why, without really knowing who he was, he felt that hunch that assured him otherwise, in the end it had been so. Now that he thought about it better, that man had caught his attention from before he had seen him through the window of the music history room, because Hyukjae was not at all a very visual person, despite having the ability to memorize a dance watching the steps only once, he was not able to recognise many faces only seeing them once for brief seconds; but he had memorised the face of that Jongwoon after having seen it by chance once among all the students of the huge school, to such an extent that when he looked at him again through the window he already knew that he existed and that he had noticed it before.


“Hey, there's Jongwoon,” he heard Heechul say, making him come back to reality after being lost in his thoughts for who knows how long.


“Should I ask for help now?” Hyukjae questioned himself realising that he had done it out loud.


“Yes, duh,” Heechul replied to his thought. “You should.”

“Now?” The older one just gave him a reproachful look with his mouth pursed, giving him to understand that he was wasting time and that he should already be on his feet approaching his next singing tutor. “Sure.”

Hyukjae stood up and ran across the courtyard trying to intercept the black haired man's step and he would have done it decently if his agile feet had failed him right then, causing him to stumble in front of him. Fortunately, he did not fall flat on the floor because he managed to compose himself.

“Jongwoon!” He exclaimed his name and turned to see him, finding a confused expression on that handsome face.


“Yes?”


“Mmm... They told me you're very good at singing,” he began to say, patting himself mentally because he knew it had not been the best way to address him, but what was done was done.


”Yes...” he urged him to continue, not as if he didn't want to talk to him or as if he wanted to get rid of him, rather it seemed that he was in a hurry and Hyukjae understood, the break was over, so he hurried to speak.


“I wanted to see if you would agree to help me, just a little.” Finally he was able to finish the sentence and congratulated himself inside.


The raven haired man watched him for a brief second, that had it not been for Hyukjae looking at him so closely, it could have gone unnoticed.


“Sure,” he finally replied, as enigmatic as he had first felt him.


“Thank you.”


Hyukjae smiled and moved away to let him go free, receiving only a grimace from him, wondering if he should feel bad for that gesture or good for the same reason.


“What a pity you give me,” he heard Heechul behind him. “You just make me feel embarrassed.”


“I stumbled, hyung, don't be rude,” he replied smiling. “You love me.”


“Mmm I don't think so, since you love Jungsoo more, you don't deserve my love.” And with that last and an air of diva, Heechul withdrew leaving Hyukjae laughing to himself.

***

I should have asked for it when I had the opportunity, or to have looked for it later. Hyukjae thought sitting at his desk berating himself for not having set a date for his class or at least for not having asked for his number to contact him and set a date. Then, his computer made a noise indicating a new message from Heechul.


Of course!


He quickly searched for Jongwoon's name by thanking heaven or any divine and superior force that after dinner for Ryeowook's birthday had made them friends online. Once he had found it he clicked to send a message. He quickly decided not to think much about what to write to him, just as he had not thought to approach him at school, despite having almost fallen in front of him, he told himself, it had not been so bad. He would continue with that technique.


“Hi, sorry for bothering you, I just wanted to see if we could set a date to start.”


And without further he sent the message.


It did not take long for the letters that previously indicated that he was disconnected, changed to online. Hyukjae waited then, more anxious than he would admit to himself, the answer.


“Sure. I'll give you my number, it's easier for me to answer like that,” it then followed a row of numbers that left Hyukjae gaping at the screen without really knowing how to react, he finally forced himself to do it when another message arrived. “The lada is from Cheonan, that's why it's different.”


“Excellent thanks.”


Perfect. It seemed that things started to work out well for him after a long time, it had been years that things did not work in his favour in almost any sense.


He quickly picked up his phone and added the contact to later send a message to the same number with the content: “I'm Hyukjae, hello again.”


He wish he did the school work as fast as he had added and sent the message to Jongwoon, he was sure that if he did so many would thank him, he would have all his things done in a blink of an eye.


“Hello. So, when would you like?”


Mmm, good question. He thought. In fact he had not begun to reason in that detail, all he had thought was to get in touch with him as soon as possible still ignoring why his actions.


“Can you tomorrow?” Okay, maybe that had sounded very desperate. “I'd like to start as soon as possible.”


A few seconds passed before receiving an answer.


“I could only during break, do you agree?” Hyukjae pursed his lips. Well, worse is nothing. Then, Jongwoon excused himself. “I have a project to finish, sorry.”


He forced himself to respond: “It's perfect, then we can continue another day.”


“Yes, from Thursday I can help you better.”


Well, it was Monday, waiting a couple of days would not hurt.


“Don't worry, do what you have to do, I'm the one who is bothering you anyway.“


“Oh no, not at all. I will gladly help you.” Hyukjae smiled. “Do you need a lot of help, anyway?”


“Oh yes,” he admitted with a bit of humor to lighten his conversation. “This is not easy for me, tomorrow you'll see for yourself.”


“Hahaha okay. See you tomorrow then.”


He decided not to respond.


Once he had rested after having been thinking a lot about the Jongwoon topic, he realised that his computer was overflowing with messages.


Oh. He had forgotten Heechul.