ATTACK

UNTOUCHABLE (KRYBER)
After their first official talk last night, Krystal asked Amber out for a friendly dinner date, which Amber agreed to right away.
 
"I'm still paying for this. End of discussion," said Krystal, pointing her finger around the foods on the table. "I feel totally bad for making you feel bad about yourself. It was not my intention. I'm sorry. I know this isn't enough but let me at least make it up to you by treating you to dinner."
 
Amber knew it's going to be futile to insist. "Fine. But it'll be my treat next time, okay?"
 
"I'm looking forward to it." Krystal separated the chopsticks and went for a meat. "Ooh. Delicious!" She chewed the food down first before saying, "You're an AEF student, right?"
 
"Mmm-mmm. I'm actually aiming for SAU in the future," said Amber, grabbing a slice of meat for herself as well. "How about you, nursing, right?"
 
Krystal nodded. "It runs in the family. My dad's a doctor."
 
"Nice. Planning to be one too?"
 
"Nah. That's not for me. People keep on asking me the same question. But I want to make a point. I want them to know that nurses are equally as important as doctors. Those doctors won't last a day if nurses aren't around."
 
"Have you told your dad about that?"
 
"Yeah. And he just laughed at me."
 
Amber just chuckled, silently thinking how lucky Krystal is to still have both of her parents alive.
 
"I also heard another rumor around here. You're Doctor Liu's daughter?" asked Krystal.
 
"Yeah. You know my dad?"
 
"He’s quite a legend now, in case you still don’t know. My dad admires your dad so much. Says he's the reason we found a way to kill Evens."
 
"Which apparently cost him his life," said Amber, sighing. "I was there. I saw it."
 
Krystal put her chopsticks down. "I'm sorry. It must've been hard for you."
 
"Was. But I've learned to accept it. It took me time but here I am, trying to live a normal life."
 
"Is that the reason why you're joining AEF and want to be part of SAU?"
 
"Those monsters killed my family," said Amber, tapping her chopsticks on the table. "I was too young to remember my mom. I grew up seeing dad doing his research. He had that burning desire to create a new world for everyone, something I might've gotten from him. My only focus now is to spend my life protecting people and eradicating Evens from this planet."
 
"That's really admirable, Amber," said Krystal, looking at Amber with a warm expression. "People like you, the ones who are joining AEF, I look up to you highly because you're giving up a part of your life just so other people could live a normal life. I wish I have the courage to be like that, but I'm too scared."
 
"It's fine. We all have our own calling. Not everybody can be in AEF, same with not everybody can be a nurse, right? I would totally if I'll work in a hospital."
 
Krystal chuckled, her eyes disappearing. "Truth is, my dream is to serve AEF too by working in the headquarters’ hospital. I want to take part in treating those wounded soldiers who tried to save other people."
 
"That's a noble thing, Krys."
 
"Yeah, but my mom doesn't like that idea. Ugh." Krystal rolled her eyes.
 
"I guess this is one of the perks of not having any parents, no one can mess with my decision," said Amber, making Krystal laugh.
 
"I was wondering, who took care of you then?"
 
"I was sort of adopted, not legally, by one of the SAU members who rescued me. Her name's Captain Taliw. Single. No kids. Although I stayed mostly in the orphanage because she's always away due to her duties, she supported me. She pays for my school, buys me stuff, gives me gifts. I guess she's one of the reasons I wanted to be in SAU badly."
 
Krystal stared at Amber, her face full of admiration. "You're an amazing person, has anyone told you that?"
 
Amber saw the sincerity in Krystal's eyes, making her face feel warm. She shifted her eyes to the food instead. "T-thank you. And no, no one has ever told me that."
 
"It's just that I've lived an easy life, easier compared to yours. You've been through something, something I'm not sure I can survive if I had experienced it myself. But you, you're still here, sitting in front of me, still fighting and going through life. How did you manage to do that?"
 
"It wasn't easy. But along the way, I realized that I only have two options." Amber raised two fingers and pointed at them. "One is to give up, and the other is to move forward. Either way, you'll still feel pain. But moving forward will at least take you to a different place than where you were before."
 
Krystal looked at Amber for long with a tightlipped smile plastered on her face. "I'm glad I got the chance to share a room with you."
 
They became closer after that dinner they had. Krystal introduced Amber to Jiwon, her best friend, and Amber introduced Krystal to Yuri. They started hanging out from time to time. In some evenings, Amber and Krystal watch movies together. If not, they just enjoy talking to each other before going to sleep.
 
Because of that, Amber's feeling for her roommate deepened. It's not just about the lady's beauty, but mainly because of Krystal's amazing character. Krystal is a kind and understanding person. She doesn't judge right away. At the same time, she's the type of woman who knows what she wants and is in control of her own life -- a trait that Amber really admires.
 
Despite admitting to herself that she's totally fallen for the girl, Amber has no plans of confessing it. She'd rather have Krystal close to her as a friend than lose her completely by admitting her true feelings for her.
 
---
 
Amber is staring out of the window, a hand cupping her chin. Her eyes drifting as their vehicle passes by the familiar places she's been to before when she was younger.
 
"When you said that they became friends, is it more of a friendly type of relationship or are they already sort of flirting with each other?" asked Taeyeon, breaking Amber's reverie.
 
"It's pure friendship, Taeyeon," answered Yuri, tapping Amber's shoulder. "Our dear Captain's contented with their friendship and doesn't have plans of making a move."
 
"I came to that school to study," said Amber, her eyes still at the window. "I know the consequences of being in SAU. I promised myself not to get into any relationships."
 
"But how come this chick changed your mind?" asked Taeyeon, glancing at Amber and looking back at the road.
 
Amber propped her arm against the window and scratched her head. "I don't know. I guess it's hard to be rational when what's at stake is your happiness."
 
"Awe. That’s cheesy," said Tiffany after a short squeal. "No one can say no to love when it comes knocking at your door, especially if it's your first time. I totally understand you there, Cap. But how long did you stay as friends before you crossed the line?"
 
Amber gestured to Yuri, telling her to continue the story.
 
"Was that after a year?" Yuri asked Amber, getting no response. "Yeah, they were really good friends that time but something's changed when two pairs of Even destroyed the Retter Barriers and attacked the school."
 
---
 
It was Wednesday, past seven in the evening. Amber and Yuri were walking towards Dorm A. Their boots stained with mud from the training. Both were thankful that they were wearing black shirts and the mud isn’t that obvious.
 
They separated ways in the intersection as Yuri's room is in the building to the left and Amber's in the building to the right. But before Amber could enter the building, she felt the ground move, as if there was a split-second earthquake.
 
Amber turned around and saw Yuri with the same expression. They both knew it's not something good.
 
Before Amber and Yuri could take another step, a group of people appeared from the corner. They were running.
 
"EVENS! EVENS ARE ATTACKING!"
 
This made the other people in their dormitories come out. Panic settled in. People started shouting and running in all directions.
 
Yuri ran towards Amber. "We need to take these students to the Center Sanctuary."
 
"But we need to calm them down first," said Amber, seeing the chaos around. She walked to the center of the intersection and stood up at the water fountain. "EVERYONE LISTEN TO ME!" she shouted, getting the attention of many. "STOP PANICKING! THE NEAREST SANCTUARY HERE IS JUST BESIDE THE LIBRARY! LET'S GO THERE NOW WITHOUT HURTING EACH OTHER!"
 
Everyone started running in the direction of the library. Yuri and Amber knocked at the doors in the dormitory, making sure everyone is informed. It was after seeing Yuri's roommate, Seohyun, when Amber realized that she hasn't seen Krystal yet.
 
"Maybe she's already gone there ahead of us?" said Yuri, guiding other students in the right direction.
 
"I hope so. But she usually takes a bath during this hour." Amber looked back and forth, feeling more worried now.
 
"I'm sure she could've heard this noise by now even if she's in the shower."
 
"Problem is she listens to music when she's in the shower, Yul. And her music is loud when she's bathing."
 
"Oh my gosh."
 
There was a loud scream from the students when a creature, appeared from the corner. It was walking fast towards the students.
 
"Creeeeeee!"
 
"TO THE ALLEY! MOVE! MOVE!" Yuri instructed some students. The shortcut to the Center Sanctuary is a narrow alley made from thick Retter Barriers. It was strategically built to be narrow so Evens won't be able to fit in.
 
"Yuri! I'm going to check our room!"
 
"Amber! No!" Before Yuri could stop her friend, Amber already disappeared in the crowd.
 
Amber reached the hallway where their room is located. From there, she can already hear the loud music in their bathroom. She entered the room and frantically knocked on the bathroom door.
 
"Krys! Open the door!"
 
The music stopped. "Amber? Is that you?"
 
"Open the door, Krystal! Evens are attacking us!"
 
"What!" The bathroom door opened, revealing Krystal who's already in her nightgown.
 
Amber wanted to admire the scene for a moment but realized that that's not the right time. She grabbed the nearest jacket in her reach, which was her oversized gray hoodie, and gave it to Krystal. "Wear this. We need to go to the Central Sanctuary now."
 
Krystal obeyed and wore the jacket as fast as she could. Then she felt the ground move. "What was that?"
 
"One of them is here," whispered Amber. She held Krystal's hand. "We could hide here for a bit but I'm sure it already knows we're here."
 
"C-can they go through the wall?"
 
"It may take a bit of time, but they can break it, especially if they are sure that they have preys inside. We need to get out of here." Amber opened the door slowly but Krystal pulled her back.
 
"Am..."
 
Amber turned and saw Krystal trembling. "What's the matter?"
 
"I... I'm... scared..."
 
Amber almost forgot that Krystal had never experienced an attack before. Krystal was lucky enough to grow up in a village surrounded by the army. Aside from the massive amount of Retter Barriers installed in the area, any sign of threats is immediately stopped by the army.
 
"Hey. No need to worry. You're with me," Amber encouraged, trying to hide the tremble in her voice as she's as nervous as Krystal right now.
 
"But they can kill us, right?" Krystal hugged Amber's arm this time, almost crying now.
 
"Hey. Hey. Look at me," said Amber, searching for Krystal's eyes. "You're going to be safe, okay? As long as you're with me, you're untouchable. I promise you that."
 
Amber meant what she said. Because if it goes to the worst-case scenario, knowing that an Even will stop hunting once it captures one prey, Amber is willing to sacrifice herself to make sure Krystal is safe. She can do it with no hesitation because Krystal is one of the few people in her life whom she knows cared for her truly.
 
Sensing the sincerity in Amber's voice, Krystal slowly nodded. "Just please don't let go of my hand..."
 
Amber doesn't know what's gotten into her. She held Krystal's face with her hand and kissed the girl's temple. Krystal reacted by snuggling closer to Amber.
 
"Let's go," said Amber, finally opening the door.