UNTOUCHABLE

UNTOUCHABLE (KRYBER)
"Good thing Tiffany and Taeyeon decided to take a cab back to the headquarters. I know you wouldn't want them to see you in this state," said Yuri. She tapped the person on the passenger's seat. "You'll be fine, bud."
 
"I know. And thank you," said Amber, still sniffing. Her eyes are almost swelling due to nonstop crying for about an hour now. She looked out the window, trying to appreciate the view in front: city lights at night.
 
"Anytime. Did talking to her somehow made you feel better?"
 
"A bit, yes. Although it's still hard to accept it but knowing that she feels the same I do somehow lighten up the load." Amber stared at the view for a few moments before speaking again. "But you're right. It got the closure I was looking for. I used to think that we'll eventually be back in each other's arms. But it's clear to me now. It's not going to happen again."
 
"Take your time, bud. I know you've been trying to escape her memory for years. But now that you've come to face it, just feel the pain. It will hurt, yes. But feeling it and admitting you're not okay is the first step to solving it."
 
"You're right, it feels lighter now somehow," said Amber, turning to Yuri. "It hurts, yes, but the heavy feeling in my chest that I've been enduring for years now is finally gone. I guess that's what both she and I needed."
 
Yuri smiled at Amber. The two of them stayed silent for few more minutes, appreciating the view.
 
"I'm ready, let's go," said Amber.
 
"Okay!" Yuri started the car engine.
 
"No, I meant, I'm ready to move on with my life. Let's go to your place for vacation."
 
Yuri's eyes widened, smile smearing across her face. "You're not joking, are you?"
 
"Does this face look like joking?"
 
Yuri laughed. "Okay! I'll book you a ticket right away!"
 
---
 
Amber jolted upon hearing the announcement in the airport about her flight boarding details. She didn't realize that she'd already dozed off.
 
"That's us," said Yuri, standing up.
 
Amber stood in line, looking around the place. She's not sure when she'll be assigned back here. It may take months, years, or never again. But she's got lots of memories here, memories that will always be dear to her.
 
She checked her watch indicating 4:47 AM. She looked out the windows; it's still dark.
 
She's busy observing the other people around when she noticed a woman in a purple scrub suit standing at the entrance of the boarding area.
 
Due to the familiarity, Amber looked. The woman is slightly panting. A wide smile appeared across her face when she noticed that Amber is looking at her.
 
"Oh, it's Krystal!" Yuri waved a hand and Krystal did the same. "Now I know why she asked for our flight schedule."
 
"She did?" Amber looked at Yuri.
 
Yuri just smirked and went back to standing in line.
 
Krystal wiggled her fingers this time. Amber knew it was meant for her. She nodded. They stared at each other for what seems like forever, with Amber trying to figure out why Krystal is there.
 
But Amber got her answer when she saw Krystal placed a hand over her heart, tapping it three times.
 
Amber couldn’t help but give out a beautiful smile. She did the same.
 
Krystal gave her a salute and mouthed, "Take care."
 
"Thank you. You too," Amber mouthed back. She raised her thumb up and went to the attendant to give her boarding pass. After that, she walked into the plane feeling lighter and happier.
 
---
 
It's 5:27 AM now in Amber's watch. Yuri, who is sitting beside her, is already asleep. Amber turned to the window and saw that the sky is starting to light up now. The sun is slowly ascending in the horizon, bringing an orange color to the surroundings.
 
She kept on staring outside, observing the change that's taking place before her very eyes. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, then she smiled.
 
For the first time in years, she's finally able to appreciate the beauty of dawn again.
 
 
 
- fin -