solicitous

My Way To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jin wondered why he got mad and dashed out of the room after declining his roommate’s offer earlier. That’s all he thought about on his way back to the dorm after eating dinner with his friends. He got preoccupied with their chats during dinner that he had momentarily forgotten about it.

They finished late and now the clinic on their faculty is closed. He would have to walk to the other side of the campus to the university hospital that is open twenty-four hours.

All that trouble for a wound.

But then again, it might get infected if he disregards it.

He’s never been this careless before.

Maybe he just needs to apologize and accept his roommate’s first aid supplies and just forget about the embarrassing first encounter last Saturday. Taehyung didn’t seem like he was even thinking of the incident anymore.

 

 

He opens the room finding it empty. He wonders where Taehyung could be since the door to the bathroom is open and no one is inside. He checks his vacheron constantin wristwatch and it’s almost eleven. It’s late. But then again he doesn't know his new roommate enough to have even the slightest idea of where he could be at this hour.

Why is he even thinking of him in the first place? It’s actually better that he’s alone so he can move freely without a pair of eyes on him.

He folds his sleeves upwards and checks his wound.

Just then, Taehyung walks inside the room.

Jin immediately pulls down his sleeve, covering his wound and settles on his bed.

Taehyung walks to his bed, opens the drawer below it, takes out the first aid supplies again and brings them to Jin. Though this time, he didn’t hand it to him but waited for him to meet his eyes.

Jin did.

“Let me help you with that.” Taehyung said, pointing at his elbow.

“I’m–“ Jin was about to lie. But no, he isn’t fine. The wound occasionally hurt earlier everytime it made contact with his sleeves while eating but he didn’t mind it because he was with the company of his friends, especially Taeyeon whom he’d assure that he’d be able to take care of his wound by himself.

For a moment Jin closed his eyes. The thought of not being able to take care of himself, even a simple wound, had triggered a past memory. An emotionally painful one.

 

You can’t even take care of yourself. The voice echoed in the back of his mind.

 

When he didn’t make any signs of resistance unlike earlier, Taehyung kneels beside him on the left side and slowly raises the sleeve of Jin’s dress shirt.

Jin lets him.

Taehyung then starts to clean the wound then applies medicine on it. Jin winced once because of the pain. But only once, he bit his lip and endured the next ones. He tried to focus on somewhere else as Taehyung tended to his wound. Ironic thing is that the posters on the opposite wall, that Jin thought is an unorganized mess, seems to have helped him as a distraction.

There was only silence for a few minutes until Taehyung finished dressing up his wound.

 

“Thank you.” Jin whispered as he ran a hand on his elbow. “And I’m sorry about earlier.”

“You’re welcome.” Taehyung replied. “And no need to apologize, I shouldn’t have insisted and made you uncomfortable.”

Jin nods slightly.

Taehyung walks back to his side of the bed and settles in, getting ready for bed.

Jin on the other hand grabs his sleepwear and goes into the bathroom to change.

 

When he got out, he saw Taehyung was already asleep. He turns off the light and also heads to bed. Lying on his left side facing the wall. Exhausted by the whole day, it wasn’t long and he dozed off.

 

 

Taehyung opens his eyes and stares at Jin’s back.

He tried sleeping earlier after Jin stormed out of their room but he just couldn’t. So he went out and started walking down the stairs and eventually ending up in the lobby. He waited for Jin there.

He wanted to make sure the other would look after his wound.

After almost three hours of waiting, Jin came back.

He saw Jin walking into the building, but the other didn’t see him as he quickly hid behind the stairs in his oversized hoodie. Jin heads straight to the elevator. It was late so there's not many students using it anymore. He was gone in seconds.

Taehyung used the stairs again to go back up to their room. He prefers them anyway than the elevator. He saw it when Jin checked his wound earlier so he tried again to help him. This time with a different approach and waited for his permission. Because while waiting in the lobby, he realized he must’ve come off strong to Jin. It hasn’t been long since they met each other. Earlier was basically just the second time. And in their small room, he must’ve invaded Jin’s personal space as a stranger. He wasn’t being considerate of the other.

But he knows that now. That it’s possible his roommate is different from him, isn't as friendly to other strangers, and that they might be the total opposites.

Just by the visuals of his side of the bed alone, full of posters and photos plastered on the wall. His towel hanging by the chair on his study table, post-it notes of reminders on the shelves where the Korean books and few mangas are placed. And the purple patterned pillows and sheet set on his bed. A drastic contrast to the Jin’s side of a single painting hanging on the otherwise empty wall. The English books neatly arranged by color, subject and size on the shelves with the stopwatch directly placed proportionate to the study lamp on the table. And a single pillow with a plain white duvet on his bed.

 

They might be different, but that doesn’t mean they can’t get along.

 

Taehyung fell asleep thinking of such thoughts.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

Jin normally wakes up early.

Five in the morning on weekdays and six on the weekends. His body clock had been used to it since he started college. Hard to believe that just four years ago in high school he still has servants wake him up every morning and help him get ready. He doesn’t think he is fully independent yet but he has definitely adjusted to living in the dorms. Though he’s not sure if that routine will continue now that his roommate has changed. It might not sound like a big of a deal but it definitely is for Jin since Yoongi was a big part of that successful adjustment.

 

He woke up at exactly five, took a quick shower, got dressed and left just half past five.

 

By the time Taehyung woke up at six, Jin was long gone.

 

What he did notice is cash placed on his study table.

 

And there’s only one person who had left it there, intentionally.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

Jin dropped by the clinic after eating breakfast then headed to the student council office just behind the social sciences faculty building. Today is the last day of filing an application for candidacy. By tomorrow the list of candidates will be up on the main bulletin board located on the hallways connecting the two adjacent buildings. It will be up for two days. The automated election will be on Saturday handled by the assigned professors and by Monday, the newly elected officers of the new school year will be posted on the bulletin board.

 

Jin walks in on Seohyun reading a book, Minho working on something on the computer and Taeyeon and Seongwu discussing something on her phone.

“Jin! You’re right on time!” Seongwu said, waving for him to go over there. “Which do you think is better, this one or this one?”

Seongwu is making him choose between two photos of them taken that day at the clinic. Both photos look identical, the only difference being the wound on his elbow on the second photo is more visible than in the first one. “What’s this for?” He asked.

“I actually don’t know. She just wants us to choose.” Seongwu pointing at Taeyeon. “I think we look better in the first one. What do you think?”

“Uhm.” Jin looks at the photos again. “I think in the first one my wound is less obvious so I think it looks better too.”

“You both look good in both photos.” Taeyeon said. “I’m using the second one.”

“What?!” Seongwu reacts exaggeratedly. “What was the purpose of making us choose if you’re not gonna consider it anyway?”

“I asked for your opinion. I didn’t say I’d based my decision on it.” Taeyeon reasons out. “I was barely letting you know.”

Jin smiles, thinking she is technically right. Seongwu raises both hands in defeat, but laughing at the same time. Both of them having no idea what the photo is for.

“Just do as I say and you’ll become president okay?” Taeyeon said, directing at Seongwu, who is quick to change his expression, gesturing, zipping his mouth and giving her a thumbs up.

Jin laughs this time.

“Speaking of the president.” Minho starts. “Four departments have no competition in presidential positions, pol-sci, comm, socio and eco. That’s Taeyeon, Seongwu, me and Seohyun, while there are two in i-studies, Jin and Namjoon.”

“Namjoon is running?” Seongwu asked. “When did he become interested in student government?”

 

Even though Jin is more known with the students because of his student government activities for the past three years, he is only second to Namjoon when it comes to academic ranking in their department. Namjoon has held that spot since first year.

 

“He filed his application first thing this morning.” Seohyun adds after putting aside her book to join the conversation. "He was here waiting outside even before I got here to open it." 

 

Jin had thought Namjoon might join the race but he is still surprised Namjoon actually is running. That’s what he was worried about because even though he was last year’s representative for their department, Namjoon is actually a strong candidate. He is both intelligent and strong minded.

 

Taeyeon had noticed Jin deep in thought. She on the other hand had expected Namjoon to run, after all it's the senior year, the most important year and it would benefit him greatly if he wins. Top of the class and president of the student government body would look good on his resume after graduation.

 

“How about the psych department?” Seongwu asked. “Isn’t there only one candidate too?”

“Well I was waiting for–“ Minho is interrupted what he was about to say when the door opened and someone familiar arrived holding a piece of paper. His application.

 

 

“Yoongi!” Jin lights up upon seeing the person entering the room.

Yoongi walks closer to them, looking around the place. “This place doesn’t seem that bad.”

The others whose eyes are on him, smiles and welcomes him.

“What made you decide to run?” Jin gladly asked. “I didn’t think I convinced you yesterday when we talked.”

Yoongi glances at Taeyeon for a brief second before answering Jin. “I heard the rooftop here is nice.”

Jin laughs. “It is. It’s not as high as the one in the dorm but the view of the greenery outside is nice. I’ll take you up after you file that.” Referring to his application.

Seongwu noticed the subtle glance, so when everyone else is busy with accommodating Yoongi, he nudges Taeyeon on the elbow. “What was that about?”

“What?” Taeyeon acting like nothing happened.

“Did you persuade Yoongi to run?” He asked.

“I didn’t persuade anybody.” She answered.

Seongwu doesn't know Yoongi that much except that he was Jin’s roommate, but from what Jin had mentioned in the past, Yoongi is not a people person. He doesn't enjoy being in a huge crowd or noisy, chaotic environment. “I might be wrong in technicality here so let me rephrase my question because I'm very much wondering.” He said. “What offer did you make for him to accept the condition of running?”

Taeyeon smiles when Seongwu catches up. “One he couldn’t resist.”

"I knew it!” Seongwu exclaims loudly, making the others turn their heads. “I… I knew it, Jin convinced Yoongi.” He saves himself, and the others seem to either buy it or just dismiss it having been used to his reactions.

Taeyeon just smiles and shakes his head.

When everyone went back to what they were doing, Seongwu went back to his conversation with Taeyeon. “Come on, tell me.”

“Remember last year?” Taeyeon asked. “You said you wanted to become the third year representative.”

Seongwu nods. “I wanted to prove I’m not just good looking and witty. That I’m smart too and I can be responsible. But what does that have to do with–”

“You won, landslide.”

“Yes, but even if I didn't, the other candidate withdrew the last minute.”

Taeyeon smirks.

Seongwu slowly, but finally realizing something. “You…”

“We make our own destiny Seongwu-yah” She said patting him on the shoulder. “A little help from a friend isn’t a bad thing.” Then leaves his side to join the rest in welcoming Yoongi.

 

“What were you two talking about?” Jin asked Taeyeon when she got to his side.

“Nothing much.” She answered. “Past stuff.”

“Past stuff?” Jin repeats curiously.

“Hey, did you bring my hardrive back? I need it.” Taeyeon tries diverting the topic.

“Oh right.” Jin had borrowed her hardrive that contains the photos from all the events of the student council last year. He needed some photos to display during the orientation since she hasn't arrived in the country yet during that time they were preparing. He borrowed the hardive when he spent the night on her penthouse last weekend. 

Seongwu and Minho are the photographer and videographer when it comes to their events. The girls Taeyeon and Seohyun are the keepers, they handle digital and physical records, they are organized like that. While Jin and last year's psych representative are the direct assistants of last year's senior officers. Too bad their psych representative friend had changed course and pursued medicine so he doesn't be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter