Una

Parallel

My life has been simple. I married the most popular girl in the university and now we already have a middle school child. I smiled when I saw Krystal dancing near the fire place. 

"Hey there Professor Liu. Care for a drink?" She said and offered her wine glass to me. I was about to get it but she was faster and drank the rest before pulling me into a searing kiss. 

"Oops. Didnt mean to? Will I get detention?" She said playfully and smirked. She was being naughty and I know she is already a bit tipsy judging she almost finished the bottle of wine. It was a Friday, in mid December. The usual Friday where we get to spend time together talking how our day went. I smiled at her, reminiscing. We're almost a decade married. I didnt know if we rushed things but Im happy. We got Dani in our first year and now we're turning 32.

"Jong in invited me for a drink at Nirvana." I said and she just waited. A frown formed in her beautiful face which I exchanged with a kiss on her forehead.

"But it's Friday. OUR Friday."

"Now now. I would just like to congratulate him for winning the award. It was a breakthrough on his career and I promise it'll be short. 45 minute tops." she turned her back and I followed her suit locking her in a back hug.

"come on baby. I promise to bring ice cream on my way home."

"mint choco chip?" she asked with a pout.

"of course. Now come here because I'm gonna miss you so much."

"it just a bar a few blocks away. Dont be silly." she said but blushes anyway.

---
I arrived a Nirvana and I saw Jong in immediately. The ever stunning Jong in. He is ummistakeable a successful man judging from his posture.

"Kim."

"Liu."  We fist bumped and chuckled. Such old habits never die. He was my roommate back in College. 

"How's Soojung?" He said and glanced at him. I rarely hear someone call my wife on her Korean name but that's Jong in. After all, he met her first.

"Still amazing. How you feel being the man of the year huh? Dr. Kim?" He laughed with the compliment. Waves of memories came crushing me. I can still clearly remember the way he described Soojung. It was as if she is perfect. Well she is but it was not the case when I havent met her. 

"It should have been you, Ber. We both know that. You were the smarter one between the two of us." Yeah sure. My head said. I lost my funding when I decided to elope with Soojung. Her family never really approves of us, me being an average person. Their daughter being an heiress with the best future ahead. Those were the hard times, me struggling to stand up with being a professor while doing my masters. We were so scared that they might separate us so before that could happen we decided to get married and have Dani right away. Soojung saved way more than needed. Good thing her parents arent that evil to freeze her personal account. She was supposed to be a directress in their entertainment company. Now made me want to puke the scotch I had. Was it the best decision we made?

"Hey hey. You deserved it and congratulations. I always knew you will be amazing." I finish the glass and got up.

"Leaving already?"

"Yes. Unfortunately Krys will kill me if I left for long. Friday remember?"

"oh okay okay. Tell them I said hi." He said and I rushed outside. I decided to drop by a mart to grab some ice cream tubs. I was in deep thoughts when someone behind my back pointed something hard on my back.

"Dont move." I suddenly got scared and thought why now. My family. they are waiting. I freezed and almost dropped the plastic bag I am holding.

"Walk towards the car in your right." I obeyed the guy. I assumed it was a guy with the deep husky voice. 

"Get in." He said. It was dark and he was wearing a mask. I cant see him properly but he is same tall as me with the same built. I was right. It was a gun pointed at me. We both got in and he sat at the back. The gun is still pointed at me. 

"Take everything. I wont-"

"1543 W 71st St. Put that in the gps and drive. Or.I will shoot you."

"I wont kill you not unless you disobey me. Now drive." as I drive, I felt my phone inside my pocket vibrated. I steathily went to my pocket to see what does it say. It was from Krystal asking me where I am. My hand was shaking and was about to call her.

"What are you doing Amber?" he knew my name. Next thing I know the tip of the cold gun poking the back of my head.

"I told you. I wont kill you unless you disobey me. Now put the ing phone down or I'll shoot your brains out."

We arrived to a building. It was dark and we took the way at the back. He threw some clothes at me. 

"change into that." it was so damn cold and I'm still a girl. I know and changing while someone is looking at me is never an option. What more a stranger.

"CHANGE. NOW." He said and I hurriedly stripped off my clothes. I started finding my voice to negotiate.

"Dont kill me. I will give everything." I said while stripping my pants off. I decided if he will kill me at least I didnt give up without a fight. I hit him with the jeans he gave me but I guess it didnt even bothered him. He stood there not moving and walked towards me punching hard in the face.

"I ing told you to just obey me! I dont want to hurt you but you are giving me a reason to!" He said with a booming voice. I know he was mad. So mad that his hand is itching to fire the gun at me.

"remove the ring." he said and once Im all set up with new clothes. He hit me at the back of my head causing me to faint. 


---
I woke up with a throbbing head. My vision is blurry. It was all white and I heard beeping noises near me. 

"Hey you're awake." a man went near me. He looked so immaculate with the lab gown he was wearing. He smiled at me.

"where am I? Who are you?"

"I'm Tyler, bro. It's been so long. Glad to have you back." He hugged me and I noticed the people in the room as well. I dont know any of them. The guy Tyler went to me and ask a few questions. I was so disoriented that after all the questions all I said was my head hurts.

"It's normal. Here let me help."He injected something to me which made me feel even worse. The . When I had a little grip of reality I remembered Krystal.

"I have to go home." 

"you will but let's make sure if you are okay to go alone okay?" He said and left. I observed the room where I am in. There were a lot of monitors and it was really bright. I got worried about Krystal and Dani. The man. He knew me. It was as if he was watching me. What if. What if he went for my family. I started to feel sick. 

"Good evening Dr. Liu." A blonde woman entered the room. You can see the gracefulness in the way she walked that will take your breath away. I'm being general here not that I'm complimenting her just because Krystal isn't here.


"I'm Kate Hudson. I'm so glad to meet you." Again she noticed my confusion. 

"Pardon my enthusiasm. As you can see you were the first one to come back." Again for nth time of the day. Confusion was seen acrossed my face. I dont even know what is happening and it was my turn to ask.

"Come back. I- How long was I out?"

"A year." I looked at her in disbelief my body felt weak and the first thing I did was grabbed the glass water on the bedside table near me.

 "If you dont mind, I would like to ask a few questions. Will that be okay?" I nodded.

"Name, Age, Education and current work please."

"Amber Josephine Liu. 32 years old,  graduate of Bs Physics at UCLA. Masters and a Ph D in Physics. I'm a Professor in Maxwell College. Excuse but may I know where am I? I badly need to go home my family is waiting for me." I told her and she put her pen down.


"Calm down Dr. Liu when all the tests are done you can go. Now if you may excuse me." I saw her talk to Tyler. Tyler looking so worried while looking at me. After the conversation, she left the room.

"Oh hey there buddy. You okay?" He asked and I hesitated if I should say yes. Am I okay? I dont think so. A lot of things happened and now I'm here my wife is waiting for me at home. 

"I see you are still disoriented. Look buddy, I am here to help you. Is there anything you need?" 

"I need a bath. I feel so unhygienic." He chuckled and turn his attention the people at his back.

"Alright then. Come follow me." He said and I followed immediately. The whole place seems like a research facility. He punched his access card and spoke his password through the mic. 

"This is where I usually stay if we got a lot of research and agenda for the day. Feel free to use everything. The shower is over there. I have spare towel and toothbrush inside." He said and I went to the said shower and locked the door. I looked for a window. Well it was the first came into mind. Thinking I should go home. Soojung is she safe? Dani? Ottoke. I turned the shower nonetheless so he wont suspect anything. I saw an opening and looked where it heading. Looked like we're on the second floor. I think I can manage to jump over without dying. Minutes later Tyler knocked. 

"Is everything okay?" he asked and I yelled back saying everything is fine. I opened the window and tried to get out. It was successful when I landed on my two feet after a few times of almost slipping. I thought it was all clear but a guard saw me and alarms began blaring. 
 
"!" I said and I run with my life depending to it. I was still California. I noticed it when I looked around me. I was still in L.A. I heaved a sigh when I found a place where I can rest for a while. I think I'm just a few blocks away from home. It wont be hard. With an adress on mind, I half run my way but being cautious if someone is following me. I entered the premises. I was shocked. The house is not my home. All the furnitures, the interior it felt strange to me. The canvass in the living room where Dani is making her art was gone. I called out for Krystal but no one answered. I went to the telephone and dialled her cell number. It was the first time in weeks I've done this. I didnt see any reason why I should when she is always there for me at home waiting preparing home cooked meals. 

"Hello? Krys?"

"I'm sorry but who is this please?" the man on the other line said. I was confused on why is some guy answering the phone of my wife.

"It's Amber."

"I'm sorry but I guess you called the wrong number I dont know any Amber and there is no Krys here. Bye." He hung up and I dialled again. I cant be mistaken. I memorized her number and this was it. The man answered for the third time cursing at me telling me to off.

My knees went weak and I slumped on the floor. After I regain my senses I went upstairs to Dani's room. As expected, it wasn't like her room. The pink walls were gone and her study table. The art materials that were usually scattered on the floor are also gone. I heard people coming to the house. Talking. 

"Amber!" Tyler yelled and due to my reflexes I locked the door. I went to look for an exit and saw the laundry chute near the cabinet. It was supposed to head down the laundry and there is an exit there. It might be a little small for my frame but it would work if worse comes to worse. 

"Buddy. I know you are confused but I can help you." He said and I prepare myself to go down. He continued talking and his voice became clearer. Next thing I knew is them banging the door really hard and me taking my way down to the chute. I went down with a blag in the laundry basket. It hurt me. It hurt me and made me think.

Am I dreaming? Is this the reality? What is real? Krystal and Dani where are they?