06;

Of Blood and Desire

Hoseok jogged up to Taehyung and Jungkook the next day. They were at the training field running some basic sword techniques and drills for Taehyung to try. “Hey, where’s Jimin and Yoongi? They’re not here yet?”

“Yoongi hyung is still sleeping,” Jungkook replied. “I haven’t seen Jimin since yesterday.”

Hoseok looked at Taehyung who had a smile on his face. “Have you seen him?”

“Uh, yeah. He came to my room last night and we talked almost all night.”

“And he didn’t come here with you?”

“He told me he wanted to relax today. So he’ll...probably be here later today.” Taehyung pressed his lips together trying not to smile wider and turned away from Hoseok’s stare.

Jungkook chuckled and nudged Taehyung in the side teasingly.

“Shut up,” Taehyung whispered, a smile growing on his face. “Come on, let’s get training.”

Hoseok looked at the two younger males suspiciously and wanted to ask more questions but decided not to as he spotted Jiwoo walking up to them with Lucas and Jungwoo trailing behind her.

“Morning, guys.” Jiwoo looked over the three and frowned. “Where’s Jimin and, um… the other one?”

‘The other one, she says as if she doesn’t know his name,’ Jungkook thought, feeling slightly annoyed.

“They’re having a bit of a late start,” said Hoseok. “I’m sure they’ll be here by noon.”

“Alright, well, Rosé had to go on a mission with Mark so Lucas and Jungwoo won’t have anyone to teach them for a couple days. I was wondering if it was okay that they work with you guys for a bit. They’re quite skilled already so some sparring matches and maybe a few pointers would be enough until they come back.”

“Sure, that’s fine,” said Jungkook. “It’ll be good for Tae hyung to practice the new skills I taught him.”

“Great! Thanks.” Jiwoo smiled and gave Jungkook a quick peck on the cheek. “Oh, and don’t forget that Jaebum oppa, Youngjae oppa, and Jinyoung oppa are coming back later today so be sure to introduce your new friend to them, okay?”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Oh, and one more thing before you guys start,” Jiwoo said as she tapped Jungkook’s shoulder, “They’re both vampires so you can give them tips about the fighting advantages that vampires can use during battle, okay?

“Okay.” Jungkook watched Jiwoo walk away and glanced at Lucas and Jungwoo. “Alright, you two, let’s see what you got.”

 

Yoongi woke up slowly and groaned. “Oh, man, this bed is so uncomfortable,” he grumbled and sat up slowly, rubbing his back. He stretched and looked around for Jungkook. He frowned noticing he wasn’t there and glanced up at the clock. “No wonder…”

Yoongi climbed out of bed and pulled off the sleeping clothes Jungkook put on him and pulled on a simple black long sleeve shirt, black pants, and socks. He went into the bathroom to brush his teeth. As he slowly did so, he looked at himself in the mirror and grimaced at the amount of small, light pink marks that scattered his neck. He examined each of them and paused seeing something curious.

He looked closer at his reflection and touched the set of fang marks from Jungkook that hadn’t gone away as the others had. Usually, the fangs marks heal up quickly because of Yoongi’s vampire blood but this one didn’t go away. Yoongi groaned and finished brushing his teeth angrily. He walked out of the bathroom, pulling the shirt over his head and replaced it with a turtleneck shirt. He wore a hoodie over it and pulled on a face mask.

Yoongi looked into the mirror above the couch and touched the fang marks again. “I’m going to kill him,” he muttered and slid on his shoes. He walked out of the dorm and headed down the hall. Just at that moment, Jimin walked out of his and Hoseok’s dorm. His hair looked like he just got out of the shower and just ruffled with a towel to quickly dry it.

Yoongi and Jimin stared at each other for a long while before Yoongi pulled down his facemask below his chin and spoke. “You know you have a huge hickey on your neck, right?”

He had never seen someone’s face turn red faster than Jimin’s had and he quickly turned, slamming the door closed. Yoongi chuckled softly and leaned against the wall to wait. About two minutes later, Jimin walked out wearing a red and black striped turtleneck shirt.

His cheeks were still pink. “Thanks,” he mumbled. “I was in such a rush that I didn’t even notice.”

Yoongi shrugged. “It happens.”

They started down the hall with each other.

“Why are you all covered up?” Jimin observed Yoongi’s outfit and rose an eyebrow.

“I’m trying to keep my tan even,” Yoongi said. Jimin frowned and gave the other a weird look. “I’m cold.”

“Ah…”

There was a silence as they descended the steps to the bottom floor.

“So, are you with the person who gave you that or—”

“No,” Jimin replied quickly. “No, no. I’m not. It was just . That’s all.”

“Do they know that?”

“Know what?”

“That it was just .”

“Yeah, I’m sure he does,” said Jimin. There was a slight uncertainty in his voice that Yoongi picked up on. “Besides, we both like other people. It’s just .”

“Right…”

Their conversation didn’t go any further as they walked with each other to the training grounds. They walked up to Hoseok who was watching over the sparring match between Jungkook, Taehyung, Lucas, and Jungwoo.

Hoseok glanced over as Jimin and Yoongi walked up to him. He frowned judging their choices of fashion for the day. “Why are you two all covered up?”

“I’m cold,” said Yoongi as he pulled back up his facemask and shoved his hands into his pockets.

“Cold? But it’s—Nevermind. Jimin, you were with Taehyung last night, weren’t you?”

“What? How do you know?”Jimin’s eyes widened.

“He told me you went to his room last night. Besides, I heard you leave the room and you weren’t back when I woke up this morning.”

“You were awake last night?”

“Yeah, I was awake when Jungkook and Yoongi left the room.”

Right then, Lucas and Jungwoo were both knocked down to the ground because Jungwoo tripped over his feet and Lucas tried to catch him. Jungkook laughed and he and Taehyung helped the both of them back onto their feet.

“That was a good match. We should spar more often,” Taehyung said with a grin.

Jungwoo smiled. “Yeah, it was fun.”

“Should we do another round?” Jungkook asked. “We have time before lunch.”

“Sure, but I think we should take a bathroom break first,” said Lucas as he tugged on Jungwoo’s arm. “Come.”

Jungwoo nodded and they both walked off to the bathroom. Taehyung turned and finally noticed Jimin and Yoongi standing with Hoseok and beamed happily.

“You’re awake~” He jogged over to Jimin. “Did you see me fighting? Did I look cool?”

Jimin chuckled. “Yeah, definitely.”

“Are you feeling okay this morning?” Taehyung asked. “After all we did last night—”

“Yeah, I feel great,” Jimin interrupted.

Jungkook glanced at Yoongi. “How about you? You okay?”

Yoongi shrugged. “Yeah, I guess.”

Hoseok examined the four next to him and clicked his tongue in annoyance. “Heol… Was I the only one who didn’t get laid last night? What the hell?”

Jimin flushed a soft pink as Taehyung looked away and laughed softly.

“Sorry,” said Yoongi, “next time, we’ll invite you in on the fun.”

Jungkook flinched slightly. “What?”

Hoseok snickered. “I’ll hold you to that then.”

Yoongi chuckled and shot Hoseok a teasing wink making the other laugh. Jungkook bit on his bottom lip and tugged on Yoongi’s arm.

“Can I talk to you,” he asked quietly.

“Why?” Yoongi asked only to be tugged away without an answer.

Hoseok looked at Jimin next to him as Taehyung moved on to do some sword drills just a few steps away from them. “Taehyung, huh?”

Jimin blushed. “Stop…”

Hoseok tilted his head and pulled back the turtleneck from Jimin’s neck to see the marks Taehyung had left behind. “Aigoo, you two got carried away last night, huh?”

Jimin swatted Hoseok’s hand away and tugged back up the turtleneck to hide the hickeys. “No…”

A wide grin spread across Hoseok’s face. “How many rounds?”

Jimin laughed and hit Hoseok’s arm out of embarrassment. “Stop. Get that grin off your face. I’m not going to tell you any more things about my life. You keep telling Taehyung all my secrets.”

Hoseok chuckled and flung an arm around Jimin’s shoulders. “Okay, but the was great, wasn’t it? Because he knew? And because of that lube I gave him, right?”

Jimin tried to hide his blush. “Maybe.”

“So, how many rounds?” Hoseok asked and teasingly poked the others cheek.

Jimin swatted Hoseok’s hand away, his cheeks turning a brighter pink. “I...lost count after four…” He let out a huff of annoyance. “You know, this isn’t fair. You know basically everything about my life but I don’t know anything about yours. Why don’t I know anything about yours?”

“Because I don’t have one.”

“You don’t?!” Jimin looked at Hoseok with wide eyes. “Why not? You’re a handsome guy.”

“For a few reasons.”

“Oh… Are you saving yourself?”

“I’m not a if that’s what you’re asking.”

“You’re not?! Oh my god! You need to tell me the details,” Jimin urged Hoseok, shaking him slightly. “When did it happen?”

Hoseok chuckled and pried Jimin’s hands off of him to have the other stop shaking him. “I’m not telling you.”

Jimin pouted. “Fine… but can I at least know if you were top or bottom? I feel like I at least deserve to know that since you already know so much about my life.”

Hoseok smirked. He stuffed his hands into his sweatpants pockets and leaned over by Jimin’s ear. “Would you like to find out?” He spoke with a low and raspy tone that immediately sent shivers up Jimin’s back and almost made his legs give out.

Jimin flushed a soft pink as he turned away from Hoseok without a word. He awkwardly cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

Hoseok chuckled and ruffled the other’s hair. “Cute.”

 

Yoongi followed Jungkook until they were far away from prying eyes and ears. “What’s up? Why did you drag me so far away? We couldn’t talk about this back there?”

“I just… I didn’t like you talking with Hoseok hyung like that…” Jungkook looked down at his feet and began to play with a rock with the tip of his shoe.

“I was just joking around. I wasn’t serious.”

“I know, it’s just…” Jungkook frowned and bit his bottom lip. “I… Something happened between me and him back then…”

Yoongi could hear the pain and hesitation in Jungkook’s voice as he spoke. “Look, you don’t have to tell me if it’s painful…”

“It’s not that it was painful, it’s just… He made a promise to me and broke it and it was just…”

“You don’t have to tell me. I get it. I know what that’s like.” Yoongi clenched his jaw. He knew exactly what it felt like to have someone make a promise to you and have them break it. It happened to him with his last relationship.

“I don’t care if you hook up with him, okay? I just… don’t really want any part of it.”

Yoongi rose an eyebrow. “What makes you think I’ll hook up with him?”

“Theoretically…”

Yoongi sighed. “Okay, so let’s say I ‘theoretically’ even want to hook up with him, I really can’t without your permission. And it’s your fault.”

“My fault?” Jungkook frowned. “What do you mean?”

“You put your vampire claim on me.” Yoongi pulled back the turtleneck to reveal the bite mark that lingered on his skin. “Speaking of which, I need to kill you for doing it.”

“Wait, I did what? What’s a ‘vampire claim’?”

Yoongi’s hands stopped halfway to Jungkook’s neck. He swore under his breath. “I forgot you don’t know about vampires that much…” Yoongi sighed and dropped his arms back to his sides. “Basically, it’s a mark vampires put on their lovers so other vampires can’t take them away. And the person who has the vampire claim can’t let another vampire drink from them or basically have with anyone else without permission from the vampire who put their claim on them. This is also including humans. So, now, I can’t anyone without your permission.”

Jungkook snorted, a sly smirk spreading across his face. “Oh, okay. So I don’t have to worry then.”

Yoongi rolled his eyes and punched Jungkook’s arm. “This isn’t funny.”

Jungkook chuckled and rubbed his arm. “Okay, okay. Sorry, it isn’t funny. But seriously, I don’t actually care if you hook up with Hoseok hyung. I just want you to know to be careful. Hoseok hyung is like—” Jungkook’s sentence trailed off and he quickly snapped his mouth shut.

“Like what?”

“Nothing… uh, anyway, we should probably get back.” Jungkook awkwardly pushed by Yoongi headed for the training grounds.

Yoongi frowned and silently followed after him. They walked back to the training grounds to find Jaebum, Youngjae, and Jinyoung talking with Hoseok and Jimin. Immediately, Yoongi wanted to escape but Jungkook caught his wrist and pulled him towards them.

“It’s Jaebum hyung. We have to tell him what you know about the ritual,” said Jungkook.

‘, he saw me,’ Yoongi thought as he made eye contact with Jaebum who stared at him with surprise.

Jungkook pulled him over to Jaebum. “Hyung, you’re finally here! I’d like you to meet—”

“Yoongi? What are you doing here?” Jaebum asked.

“Oh, I forgot Yoongi hyung said he knew you…”

Yoongi smiled awkwardly. “Hi, Jaebum… Hi, Youngjae. What’s up?”

“Surprised to see you here,” Youngjae said. “But, uh, why are you here?”

“It’s a long story…”

Jungkook frowned examining the look that Jaebum was giving him. It was unreadable but there was a strangely apologetic look in his eyes behind the shock. “Uh… okay. Anyway, he has something interesting to tell you about the ritual.”

“Oh, alright.” Jaebum looked around. “Should we get Jiwoo too?”

“No, she doesn’t like me,” said Yoongi. “Besides, the fewer people to talk to, the better.”

“Right. The anxiety… Then it’ll just be me, you, Youngjae, Jinyoung and… Jungkook?” Jaebum wondered looking at Jungkook.

He quickly nodded. “Yeah, me too.”

“Okay, let’s head over to somewhere more private then, shall we?” Jaebum led the way walking to the dorm buildings. He was headed toward his dorm which he shared with Jinyoung.

Jungkook walked behind the group staring at the back of Yoongi’s head as the other walked in the front next to Jaebum. He could see Yoongi was uncomfortable and wanted to walk with him but Youngjae and Jinyoung were blocking his way.

“So, have you been good?” Jaebum asked.

“Yeah,” Yoongi replied.

“Why are you here? I thought you didn’t want anything to do with slayers.”

“Long story.”

“What about your dad? Doesn’t he hate slayers? Why did he let you come?”

“He’s dead, so he doesn’t care.”

Jaebum sighed and pulled Yoongi to the side in the stairwell. “We’ll be at the room soon. Keep Jungkook company.”

Jungkook looked at Yoongi worriedly and reluctantly followed Jinyoung and Youngjae to the room.

Jaebum waited to make sure the others were gone before speaking. “I went to your dad’s cabin before we came back. I panicked when you weren’t there. I’m so glad you’re okay.”

Yoongi crossed his arms across his chest and leaned back against the wall. “I don’t know why you would be worried about me, but okay.”

Jaebum sighed. “Do you still hate me?”

“Hate is a strong word,” said Yoongi. “But it’s the right word.”

“Oh, come on. Seriously? Don’t be like that.” Jaebum reached out to which Yoongi quickly swatted his hand away. “I’ve apologized so many times. What’s it going to take for you to forgive me?”

“I’ve forgiven you. I just can’t forget the pain you caused me.” Yoongi bit his bottom lip. “Imagine it from my perspective, Jaebum. Trusting someone who told you that they wouldn’t hurt you, that they wouldn’t use you, that they wouldn’t break your heart only for them to do just that. It’s not easy to forget that pain.”

Jaebum looked down at his feet. “I’m a better person now. I’ve learned from my mistakes. I don’t drink live blood anymore and I’m teaching everyone else not to drink it either. And I’m not even with her anymore. I haven’t seen her in years...”

“And? None of that helps the pain I still feel. None of that repairs the anxiety I have in trusting people. You really just don’t get it, do you?” Yoongi let out a frustrated breath. He could feel himself getting angrier the more he spoke. He swallowed. “Can we just…drop this? I don’t want to talk about it anymore. It’s already taking all my strength to hold back from punching you in the face.”

Jaebum sighed. “Fine…”

Yoongi followed Jaebum quietly down the hall.

“At least tell me one thing… Why did you drop by the cabin before coming here?” Yoongi asked.

“There are half-vampires who are going missing or being killed lately. That’s why I was gone with Youngjae and Jinyoung. We’re trying to find out why.” Jaebum looked back at Yoongi. “I freaked out when I didn’t see you there, or your dad. I thought that maybe you were taken too. I’m seriously so relieved that you’re here.”

Yoongi said nothing in response and followed Jaebum into the room.

Yoongi then started talking about the ritual, how he read in his dad’s research about it not being just for rogue vampires, how it was just for power and how this ritual was the reason why vampires currently have powers. Jungkook then added in how the pure silver weapons of the slayers burned the rogue vampire out and that they didn’t die because there may be a flaw in the ritual.

Jaebum frowned as he listened. “So, it’s not a new ritual?”

“Not according to my dad’s research. And think about it, how else would common vampires have such supernatural powers if not by ritual?” Yoongi said.

“And you said anyone can do the ritual?” Youngjae asked.

“For all we know, humans could use it. The ritual didn’t specify who could or couldn’t use it,” replied Yoongi.

Jinyoung’s eyes widened. “You don’t think that’s why half vampires are going missing or dying lately, do you? I mean, they have both human and vampire blood, right? And the previous ritual was completed because Jiwoo had human and vampire blood inside of her…”

“So, someone’s using them for the ritual without having to kill so many people.” Jaebum groaned and buried his face in his hands.

“But at the end, Jiwoo was the catalyst for completing that ritual because she had both types of blood inside of her. If you’re already using half vampires for the ritual, what catalyst would you need for—?” Youngjae’s voice trailed off as he looked up at Yoongi with wide eyes as the realization hit him. “Oh. It would be yours.”

“Mine?” Yoongi frowned.

“Think about it. Half-vampires are already rare as it is, but half-vampires who take after their human blood is even rarer. You’re the only one I’ve ever met in person, to my knowledge, at least. And I’ve only heard of people like you maybe three other times,” said Youngjae.

Jaebum looked up at Yoongi. “This makes me glad that you’re here. You’re safe here… You haven’t told anyone, have you?”

“No, only Jungkook.”

“Good, we have to keep it that way. The fewer people that know, the better.” Jaebum put his hand to his chin. “We have to protect the half-vampires who are here. That’s literally all we can do. I want to go back to your dad’s cabin to read his research but I can’t take you with me.”

“I can go with you,” said Jungkook.

“But you have to watch Yoongi to make sure he doesn’t go missing.”

“Hoseok hyung can watch him. And I’ll ask Jimin and Taehyung to help, too.”

Jaebum nodded. “Alright. We’ll leave in about an hour. Youngjae, you’d better stay here with Jinyoung to make sure he’ll be safe.”

Youngjae nodded. “Sure.”

“When will we be back?” Jungkook asked.

“We’ll be back by morning. No worries.”

“Alright, I’ll go get ready.”