Seven: Songs Around the Fire

The Second Summer of the Boys

After dinner the next night, Sehun approached the boys. 

"Teen sing a long is tonight," he said. 

"Cool, we'll be there," Taeyong responded with a grin, and all the oldies smiled excitedly.

"I can't believe you guys didn't want to go kayaking, but you are excited for the 'teen sing a long'," Yukhei teased. 

"Dude, it's lit as ," Johnny responded. 

"Yeah, we sit around a camp fire and sing old hippie songs with the counselors. It's really nice," Taeil added, leaning on Johnny's shoulder. 

"Remember when Donghyuck made us spy on it last year?" Jeno spoke with a groan. 

"Ugh, don't remind me," Renjun added. 

"Admit it, we had nothing better to do," Donghyuck responded. The other younger boys grimaced guiltily. 

"You just wanted to hear Mark sing!" Jisung teased. Donghyuck blushed and Mark grinned at him, leaning on his shoulder. 

"You said that you wanted to hear us sing stuff," Mark mumbled with a grin. 

"I didn't want you knowing how much I liked you in a non ual way," Donghyuck responded, smiling shyly. 

"Aw!" Ten cooed, and Taeyong pinched Mark's cheek. 

"Our baby's got a boyfriend," Doyoung added. 

"Shut up!" Mark whined, and he and Donghyuck shared a pout before eating their food. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Once the boys reached the campfire for the sing along, a circle with logs for seats a little ways off from camp, a few of the counselors were already there. Although Jongdae, the 16-18s counselor had led them to the spot along with the 17-18 year olds, Sehun (their counselor) and the 5-7s counselor, Yixing, were waiting for them to arrive. Yixing smiled at the boys, passing the songbooks to use for the sing along around the circle. Even though there were a lot of them, all the boys managed to fit in the circle without any lap sitting or someone being left out. 

 Jisung briefly flipped through its pages; he didn't really recognize any of the songs. 

"What is this music?" He quietly asked Taeyong, who was sitting to his right. 

"Camp music," Taeyong explained with a chuckle. "I don't think this book's been updated in fifteen years." 

"I didn't know most of the songs last year either. But now they're special to me, since they're camp songs," Ten added, poking his head out from behind Taeyong's frame. 

"Brown eyed girl!" Jaehyun called out when the counselors asked what song they wanted to sing. 

"That's page 37 in the songbook," Yixing responded. Jisung smiled as he and Chenle flipped to the page, reading the lyrics to themselves. 

As Yixing was tuning his guitar and practicing the chords, Chenle turned to Jisung. 

"Do you like to sing?" Chenle asked quietly. 

Jisung shrugged. "I like it okay. I do it for fun sometimes with my friends." Chenle nodded. "What about you?" 

"I like it a lot," Chenle said with a grin. "I'm in choir at my middle school." 

Jisung smiled brightly, excited to hear the voice of his best friend in all of camp. Yixing finally got the chords ready, and began to play. 

At first, only the people from last year sang along, since they knew the words best. But, soon enough, the others boys joined in, still quiet but becoming more comfortable. 

Jisung sang quietest of all, insecure about his voice and how young he was compared to the others, blushing just reading the line 'making love in the green grass' (yes, he knew what that meant, Donghyuck told him way too much last year). 

So he simply mumbled the words, instead paying attention to his friends around him. Both Taeyong and Ten had pretty, gentle voices, smiling at each other lovingly, understanding the lyrics in a way Jisung couldn't just yet. 

Now, Jisung listened to Chenle. It wasn't often that he noticed his best camp friend as something other than the loud, fun, and crazy twelve year old boy he was, but today it was different. Jisung had no idea Chenle's voice was so incredible: powerful and perfectly toned, worthy of celebrity status even. 

Once the song was over Jisung looked over at Chenle, suddenly feeling shy. It was strange; he'd never felt shy around Chenle before. 

"You have a nice voice," Jisung mumbled in Chenle's ear as one of the seventeen year old campers called out another song to sing. "The prettiest I've ever heard."

Even though it was dark outside, the light of the campfire still lit Chenle's face enough for Jisung to notice his blushing cheeks. He'd never actually seen Chenle blush before, and it made Jisung feel a way he could only describe as weird. 

"Th-thanks," Chenle stuttered, giving Jisung an unusually shy smile before flipping over to the correct page. Jisung spared his best friend one last glance before flipping the page too. 

~~~~~~~~~~

A few songs later, the air outside began to get even colder than before. Despite wearing layers, Jungwoo was freezing, and he subsconsciously scooted closer in towards Yukhei. Jungwoo didn't even notice until he felt the warmth of Yukhei's thigh pressed against his and Yukhei's smile directed at him. Jungwoo shot him a very quick glance before looking away shyly. 

"You're so cold!" Yukhei said with a grin, wrapping and arm around Jungwoo's shoulder. Jungwoo froze from the contact, but luckily he was a bit warmer. 

"Th-thanks Yukhei," Jungwoo stuttered back. 

"You know, all my close friends call me Xuxi." Jungwoo looked up at his handsome face. "You should call me that too." 

"Really? I can?" Jungwoo asked with genuine surprise. 

Yukhei grinned at him. "Yeah! Do you have a nickname?" Jungwoo shook his head. "We'll have to give you one." Just then, the two boys heard the others begin to sing. Yukhei looked over Renjun's shoulder, on his other side, and he and Jungwoo quickly flipped to the correct page. 

As the others sang, Yukhei leaned in closer toward Jungwoo's ear. "You have a pretty voice," he whispered. 

Jungwoo bit his lower lip and alternated from staring at the ground and Yukhei's wide brown eyes. "Thank you...Xuxi," Jungwoo responded, and Jungwoo would never forget the grin that followed on Yukhei's face. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Yuta remembered the teen sing along as being a lot more fun the previous year. He was just joking around with his close friends, explaining things to Sicheng that he didn't know yet, and maybe doing a little cuddling. 

This year, Yuta could only describe as stressful. 

Sicheng was on his right, and Yuta had his usual protective arm wrapped around Sicheng's slim waist. But despite the touch, Sicheng did not lean into it as he once did. Instead, his attention was focused on Kun. 

In between songs they would talk and laugh together, Kun pushing Yuta's insertions into the conversation off to the side. Even though one arm was wrapped around Sicheng's waist, the other was holding up his head, leaning away from the two of them. 

"Dude, are you okay?" Johnny whispered to Yuta. Yuta simply shrugged back. Johnny spared a glance at Sicheng and Kun, then looked back at Yuta. "You've gotta fight for him, okay?" 

"I shouldn't have to," Yuta mumbled back, but he sighed and heeded Johnny's words. While they were singing 'this little light of mine,' Yuta planted a kiss on Sicheng's cheek. 

Sicheng turned to him and grinned brightly; and god Yuta had forgotten just how beautiful Sicheng's smile was when it was direct at him. Sicheng's cheeks turned a little pink, but he scooted in closer to Yuta, resting his head on Yuta's broad shoulder. 

Immediately, Yuta beamed, planting another kiss to Sicheng's forehead as Sicheng sang in his surprisingly deep voice. Sicheng had to pause singing to giggle, and Yuta couldn't have thought of anything more endearing. 

Everything was as it should've been in Yuta's head, at least, for the moment. 

Until, the song ended, and Sicheng casually turned to Kun. "You have a nice voice," he spoke. Yuta's stomach burned with jealousy, but at least Sicheng still had his head on Kun's shoulder, so he would be okay. 

"I promise I'll sing to you every day," Kun responded. 

Maybe Yuta wasn't going to be okay. He tried to swallow down his anger and hide his clenched fists, but it was hard when this, usurper, was blantantly flirting with the boy he adored. 

Despite Yuta's efforts, though, Sicheng and Kun noticed his jealousy. Kun gave him a eating grin, and the smile immediately fell off Sicheng's face. He still kept his head on Yuta's shoulder, but he didn't look up at him any more, instead staring straight into the fire. Yuta didn't know what to do. But at the very least, Sicheng still rested on him, the slightest connection between them. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Final song of the night!" Sehun called. The teenagers released a collective boo, but Doyoung looked up. 

"Come on, we've got to sing Hey Jude!" He responded. After voices of agreement, the counselors told them all the pages, and they began to sing. 

"Dude, how come you have such a nice voice?" Ten quietly whined at Doyoung. 

"Advanced choir, ," Doyoung responded, sticking out his tongue. 

"And you too!" Ten said, looking over at Jaehyun. Jaehyun chuckled, and Ten rolled his eyes. "How come you guys are good at everything? Smarts, popularity, talent..."

"It's not really that. I'm smart, Jaehyun's popular, so if we comebine our efforts we have it," Doyoung responded. 

"Still, it's not fair that one couple gets to be perfect," Ten responded. Doyoung and Jaehyun shared a smug grin, cuddling in closer as the night air got even colder. 

"I agree," Taeyong grumbled, sticking his head out from behind Ten's frame. "It's really not fair." 

"Well, you guys have stuff we don't," Jaehyun spoke sympathetically. 

"Like what?" Ten retorted. 

"Maybe a life," Taeyong mumbled. 

"We don't want that!" Doyoung whined loud enough for everyone in the circle to stumble on their words in the final song. Doyoung grimaced, sinking back away from the center and closer to Jaehyun. Jaehyun chuckled at his boyfriend, but rubbed his shoulder sympathetically. 

The song quickly ended, and it was time for everyone to head back to camp. Everyone slowly got up, rubbing their butts because of the uncomfortable logs, and following counselor Jongdae back to the main part of camp. 

Doyoung and Jaehyun immediately held hands, skipping along the path back to the cabin. 

"We are the superior couple at camp, aren't we?" Doyoung said softly. 

"I mean, don't tell Taeyong and Ten that. They'll get mad at us because they think they're a power couple," Jaehyun responded. The pair shared a giggle, and went into their cabin for a good night's sleep. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Back in cabin E1, almost everyone was fast asleep. Former insomniac Mark Lee was snoring in Donghyuck's arms, Jisung and Chenle were curled up in their blankets, and Renjun was creepily muttering sleep talk. 

But Jaemin couldn't sleep. He didn't know what it was: maybe it was hearing Jeno's gentle singing voice, sitting by him at the romantic campfire, but the butterflies in his stomach just wouldn't die. 

"Hey," Jeno whispered suddenly, startling Jaemin a little bit. "Can you sleep?" Jeno poked his head over the side of his top bunk, and even though it was dark Jaemin found it adorable. 

"No," Jaemin responded. Jeno had voiced his thoughts exactly. 

"Did you have fun today?" Jeno asked, his dark hair hanging down. 

"Yeah, the sing along was super fun." 

"Yeah, it was....it was nice hearing you sing and stuff, even if they were only songs our parents would know," Jeno responded with a giggle. 

"Yeah, definitely," Jaemin whispered back, trying to be quiet to avoid the wrath of an awakened Renjun. 

"It was extra nice because you were there," Jeno mumbled, a different tone than all of his previous statements. 

Jaemin was very glad it was dark because Jeno couldn't see just how hard he was blushing; what was he supposed to say to that? What did Jeno mean? Now how was he supposed to get any sleep?

"A-alright, I guess I'm actually tired now, so, uh, goodnight," Jeno said, and Jaemin watched him go back into his bed and adjust in the covers. Jaemin cursed interally; he should've responded quicker, and now Jeno thought he hated him. 

"G-goodnight," Jaemin responded, turning over in his sheets too. He didn't know how much sleep he'd get that night.