Ten: The Feud Begins

The Second Summer of the Boys

It was a little over a week into camp when Yuta decided he was fed up. 

After breakfast, the eighteen boys decided to head back to cabin E2 to relax. As Yuta looked around, it felt like everyone had someone to hold: Johnny and Taeil, taking a nap together on their bed. Ten, sat on Taeyong's lap, with Chenle and Jisung leaning on each other all talking. Doyoung and Jaehyun making more friendship bracelets on their own bed. The newly formed couple of Jungwoo and Yukhei sitting on Yukhei's bed, whispering sweet nothings into each other's ears. Mark and Donghyuck, muttering and giggling to themselves. Jeno and Jaemin, with Renjun pulled between them to lessen their romantic tension, all coming in close to watch a video on Jeno's phone. 

That left Yuta alone. He sat on the floor, while Kun and Sicheng cuddled on his bed, while Kun cuddled with his boyfriend. All he had to do was look up to see Sicheng's leg swung over Kun's, talking and laughing together, Kun's hand rubbing up and down Sicheng's arm. 

There were so many things Yuta didn't understand. Why was Kun going after his boyfriend so strong? Why was Sicheng going along with it? Yuta was practically fuming at this point. He couldn't take it any morep; he was fed up. 

He stood, tall over Kun's fairly small frame. "Can I talk to you?" He asked, trying to hide his rage but mostly failing. 

Kun nodded. "Yeah, sure," he said, pretending not to know why Yuta was so upset. 

Yuta led Kun outside, walking a short distance away from the cabin. He didn't want Sicheng to hear him so angry. 

He swallowed thickly, trying to keep calm as best he could. He really just wanted all this to be over, so he could go back to loving Sicheng properly; he didn't want a massive fight.

"Hello Kun," Yuta started, schooling his voice into a deliberately polite tone. 

"Hey," Kun responded, as if nothing was wrong, and Yuta's blood boiled at the sound. 

"I think we need to have a talk." 

"Shoot, then." 

Yuta sighed deeply. "So...I don't want to be possessive. I'm not possessive. And...I'm fine with you being friends with Sicheng. I'm not going to restrict him from having friends. But...all the flirting has got to stop. Sicheng is my boyfriend, and I know it seems sorta ridiculous since he's perfect and I'm just...me, but you have to respect that. Please. I'm asking you politely." 

Kun paused for a moment to articulate his words, then sighed. "See, Yuta, the problem is....I can't do that." His tone had no malice in it, but Yuta's fists clenched anyways. "I really, really, really like Sicheng. Like you said, he is perfect. I can't help but fall for him. And...I just think I'd be better for him, you know? We're good friends already. He likes being around me. Anyways, his parents aren't too keen on you, so he's told me. He said it doesn't matter to him, but....down the line he may want someone who can make both him and his family happy. So..yeah. I won't step off. I'm sorry."

"You're not ing sorry," Yuta growled, and Kun shrugged, then sighed. When Kun didn't look like he was going to respond, Yuta spoke again. "Kun...we could still be friends, if you let me and Sicheng be." 

"I don't think that's gonna happen. Like I said, I can't do that." 

"Alright, if you want to be that way, then so be it. I tried to do this the nice way. I don't ing like you, and if you're not going to stay away from what's mine then I'll have to make you." 

Kun shrugged again. "Be my guest. Try to do that without pissing off Sicheng." 

Yuta inhaled and exhaled, trying to keep still. "It's ing on, kid." 

"That's fine by me," Kun responded with a small grin, and he proceeded to walk back to the cabin. Yuta watched him go with his eyes squinted. He knew if he went back he'd do something stupid, but at the same time he didn't want to leave Kun alone with Sicheng. He sighed, going down to the ledge. If he wanted to win Sicheng's heart, again, he'd have to think. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm so glad I don't have to worry about you," Donghyuck said gently, looking down at Yuta, Kun, and Sicheng. "No one's trying to steal you away." 

"Me too. Plus I'm glad we're already together. And we already finished the dilemma of whether or not you like me," Mark answered. The two of them crammed together in the corner of Taeil and Johnny's bed, Mark resting his head on Donghyuck's shoulder. Donghyuck scooted in closer to Mark, trying to hide from the rest of the cabin how he was affectionately playing with Mark's slim fingers. 

Mark had to admit that he was a little starstruck. The honest truth was that he'd thought Donghyuck was handsome from the moment they'd laid eyes on each other the year before at camp. Even though Donghyuck came in super strong, which overwhelmed Mark quite a bit, Donghyuck was the first guy to ever pay attention to Mark like he'd always secretly wanted. And even his overtly flirtatious side had calmed down over the school year: now, he was just pure loving. 

"Can we take a picture for snapchat?" Mark asked, pulling his phone out of his back pocket. 

"Yeah, of course babe," Donghyuck answered. Mark picked out the doggy filter and took a photo, Mark smiling softly and Donghyuck smiling brightly as Mark still had his head on Donghyuck's shoulder. He immediately captioned the story 'glad to be with you again' with a heart emoji and posted it to his story, as well as sent the photo to his few friends from school. 

"You want people to know you're dating me?" Donghyuck asked teasingly. 

"Didn't I tell you? Everyone laughed at me last year because they thought I was making you up. I'm trying to prove you're existence. Really, people at school think I'm the undateable one." 

"Why the would that be?" Donghyuck asked. 

Mark hummed. "I dunno, I'm kinda dorky." 

"That's good then. Because so am I," Donghyuck answered, biting his lip. Mark turned his eyes at the sight, Donghyuck's attractiveness overwhelming him, before placing a peck on Donghyuck's lips in a brief moment of PDA. 

"Aw!" Johnny immediately cooed, briefly waking up from his nap. 

"You guys are so cute," Taeil mumbled before falling back asleep on Johnny's chest. 

"Speaking of dorks..." Donghyuck mumbled. 

"Johnny and Taeil?" Mark asked. Donghyuck shook his head and subtely gestured to Jeno and Jaemin. 

"Camp time is ticking away. Jaemin's my friend, and I don't want him to waste it," Donghyuck said. 

"We have to get them completely alone." 

"Renjun!" Donghyuck immediately called. Renjun stood up with a groan and padded over to the couple. 

"What is it?" 

"Come sit with us!" Mark said, patting the space next to he and Donghyuck to sit. With a confused expression, Renjun sat down. 

"Jeno, Jaemin, bring us cereal!" Donghyuck yelled. 

"Why?" Jaemin whined. 

"Because I'm your friend," Donghyuck answered. 

"Please?" Renjun added. Jeno and Jaemin rolled their eyes and stood up, staring to walk out of the cabin with grumpy expressions. 

"Can't Mark and Hyuck just get it themselves?" Jeno groaned as he and Jaemin left the cabin. 

"I know, right!" Jaemin whined back, the two of them walking the bath together in uncomfortable silence. Jaemin knew exactly what Donghyuck was doing with this weird scheme of his, and despite the annoyance, he did have to admit it was nice to be alone with Jeno. 

Just looking at Jeno made Jaemin blush. He remembered the first time they saw each other last year at camp: Jaemin had felt so beaten down at school; enduring teasing without friends for two years straight as he attempted to navigate the torturous waters of the middle school social scene. He was just too effeminate, too touchy feely, for any of the other boys to want to be his friend. And the girls just latched on too, so Jaemin was alone. 

But then he walked into camp and Jeno was there. He'd been so cute, even at twelve years old, and Jaemin had been nervous to even approach him. No way was he cool enough to even be friends with this kid! But Jeno actually ended up approaching him, asking him if he wanted to play volleyball with the others. He joined, and they'd been attached at the hip ever since: doing activities with counselor Chanyeol, whispering in their cabin way past their bedtime, going along with all of Donghyuck's silly schemes and antics. Jaemin liked Jeno romantically from the moment he saw him. Even if Jeno didn't feel that way back, Jaemin couldn't stop how he felt. Jeno had just done too much for him, had made him happy for the first time in a long while. 

"I'm glad to be back at camp," Jeno said suddenly, sighing as a breeze brushed through his hair. 

"Me too," Jaemin responded. It was true, all his friends weren't at school, they were here. 

"All my friends are here, not at school," Jeno explained, voicing his thoughts exactly. 

"Me too," Jaemin answered again, too shy to come up with a better response. 

"I don't wanna go back home. Then I won't have anyone to hang out with." 

"Really? Don't you have any friends at home?" Jaemin cried with surprise. He was shocked; he thought Jeno would be at least a little popular. He was so sporty and handsome, not to mention friendly and very nice. 

Jeno shook his head sadly. "People aren't very nice to me back home," he admitted. Jaemin was still surprised, but he understood his feelings completely. 

"Do you get bullied?" Jeno nodded shyly.  

"Why?" Jaemin asked.

"Because I like boys," Jeno responded. "It only started this year though. But it still hurt." 

Jaemin, in a moment of confidence, rubbed his arm back. "I'm really sorry. I know what you mean. People bullied me in middle school too." 

"What for?" Jeno asked, also with surprise. 

"Liking boys too," Jaemin said. "And being ugly." 

"Wh-what?" 

"Everyone says I'm ugly." 

"There's nothing ugly about you. Literally nothing. You're beautiful and handsome on the inside and the outside, I swear Jaemin." 

At Jeno's words Jaemin flushed a bright red, freezing and staring down at the grass beneath him, waving with the slight wind. Jeno had sounded so sincere that Jaemin had to believe what he said; Jaemin hadn't been complimented like that in a long, long time. 

"Th-thank you, Jeno," Jaemin said very quietly, fiddling with his hands. 

"You're welcome." 

Jaemin finally found the courage to look up at Jeno's face, his eyes alternating between the ground and Jeno. He could see Jeno doing the same, a shy look in his eyes, and he could feel a strange tension growing that hadn't been there before. The butterflies in Jaemin's stomach intensified to where he thought he might throw them all up, and he didn't quite know what to do. 

"Uh, Mark and Hyuck and Renjun are probably waiting for their cereal," Jeno said awkwardly, and Jaemin had a feeling that Jeno might have been experiencing that same tension too. 

"Y-yeah," Jaemin answered, still avoiding eye contact. "Let's go get it." 

They walked quietly into the dining hall, grabbing enough cereal for their friends and themselves in silence before starting the walk back. 

"I'm sorry that people at school are mean to you though," Jeno spoke. "It's not right." 

Jaemin shrugged. "It'll be alright. High school starts next year anyways, and most of my old classmates aren't going to the same one I am." 

"I'm really glad," Jeno admitted, smiling at Jaemin just when Jaemin had the courage to look up at him again. 

"And you? Do you think high school will make things better?" 

Jeno nodded. "I really hope so. But at the very least...I get to spend the summer with my real friends."