Eighteen: Boat

The Second Summer of the Boys

The next morning at the end of breakfast, Sehun approached the table where the eighteen eleven to sixteen year old boys were sitting. 

"So, today is the party boat after breakfast." Sehun looked over at the confused face of the newbies and the younger kids and explained further.  "Basically, we take a couple of motorboats and tie them together and go out onto the lake with the other teenagers. There's music and snacks and it's pretty fun," Sehun said. 

"Sure, we're down," Taeyong responded after a silent affirmation from the other boys. 

"Alright, see you then," Sehun spoke, and the boys followed their counselor out of the dining hall. After changing into swim clothes, they met up with the counselors and the seventeen and eighteen year olds. This time, Sehun and Jongdae (the sixteen to eighteens counselor) were accompanied by one of the maintenance guys, the five to sevens counselor, and both of the lifeguards. 

"Aren't you guys supposed to be watching the pool?" Johnny questioned. 

"We closed it for today. Anyways, we'll be the lifeguards for you guys," the shorter of the two responded. 

Sehun and Jongdae led the group down to the lake, the motorboats already set up for them. The teens and counselor hopped on and sped off towards the center of the lake. 

Once they got to the middle, when the shorelines looked distant and the deep blue water surrounded them for yards and yards, Sehun opened his bag and pulled out chips and capri suns for the group. 

"I thought Kyungsoo was gonna make us sandwiches!" Minseok, the shorter lifeguard whined. The kids frowned at the thought of missing the yummy sandwiches that the chef made. 

"You know how much he hates these kids," Sehun bluntly responded. 

"Hey!" Johnny whined. 

"You know it's true," Sehun mumbled back. The teenagers shrugged with admittance, and went their own separate ways. 

Johnny grabbed a few bags of chips and sat himself down next to Taeil, their legs dangling off the boat and into the water. He passed Taeil two of the four bags of chips he grabbed and cracked open the root beer from the cooler. 

Taeil gave him a smile. "Plain chips, my favorite! How did you remember?"

"I remembered because you have weird taste," Johnny responded, opening up his bag of barbeque chips. Taeil gave him a look and Johnny grinned back at him. He surreptitiously stole a chip out of Taeil's bag, but Taeil just smiled and pretended not to notice. 

The two of them kicked the murky lake water with their foot as the watched the other boys, sitting on the boat or playing in the water, some great swimmers, some clinging to the edge of the boat for dear life. 

Johnny looked at Taeil as the light of the late morning sun shined down upon him. Even though and he loved all of the other campers like family, Taeil was by far the most precious to him. Taeil would always be his number one; his favorite. 

Taeil finally noticed Johnny's staring and turned back to him, biting his lower lip in a shy smile. 

"What is it?" Taeil asked softly. 

In a moment of vulnerability Johnny flushed pink; Taeil looked awfully pretty with the sunlight filtering through his hair. There was so much he wanted to say but just couldn't in that moment. He wasn't sure if Taeil felt the same. 

"Ah, nothing," Johnny responded, looking back down to the water, the waves brushing past as the younger campers splashed the water about. Taeil didn't say anything for a moment but put his head on Johnny's shoulder, and Johnny instinctively put his hand on Taeil's legs. He held back his teasing about Taeil's stature for the moment, but he did always love how almost his entire hand could wrap around Taeil's thighs. 

"Stop being weird," Taeil said quietly, "And just tell me what's up." 

Johnny hummed and sighed; he and Taeil were too in sync now to slip things past each other. He had to admit how he felt. 

"Taeil...I love you." 

Johnny felt Taeil's head lift from his shoulder and panicked, looking back at a clearly surprised Taeil. 

"Wh-what?"

", I knew you didn't-"

"No, Johnny," Taeil interrupted. "I just....didn't expect you to fall for me so quickly." 

"Do you--"

"Of course. Johnny, I...I love you too." 

~~~~~~~~~~

Jaehyun swam over to his boyfriend and pouted. 

Normally, he would just let Doyoung do his thing and read, maybe cuddle with him and keep him company or just let him be and play games with the others. But today was different; they were all on a boat in the middle of the lake, the sun shining down on them, the sounds of teen boy laughter and music from a boombox radio filling the air. He wanted to do something with his boyfriend!

That's why Jaehyun rested his arms and head on Doyoung's legs, his hair dripping all over Doyoung's skin. He'd just been swimming around the boat when he'd came back to bug his boyfriend, who was still completely dry, although he was in his swimsuit. He was leaning against the white plastic of the boat, reading his book with his legs dangling over the edge. 

"What?" Doyoung whined, moving the book away from his face. "You got me all wet!"

"We're on a boat, you know. That's kinda the point," Jaehyun responded with a giggle. Doyoung folded the page of his book over and pushed it with the rest of his stuff, brushing Jaehyun's wet hair out of his eyes.

"I'm not exactly the best swimmer ever. I mean, I'm decent, but..." 

"You can hold onto the side of the boat!" 

"But..."

Jaehyun jokingly glared at him. "That's it." With a sneaky grin and a confused look from Doyoung, Jaehyun grabbed the end of his leg and tugged him into the water. 

Jaehyun laughed at his boyfriend softly until Doyoung's head bobbed above the water, his hair soaked through and a glare on his face. Jaehyun squeaked and began to swim away until Doyoung quickly caught up to him, pulling him back closer and splashing him with water. 

Jaehyun splashed the water back until they were both soaked and giggling like little kids, Doyoung suddenly wrapping his arms around Jaehyun and pouting. 

"I hate you," he mumbled, with no real truth in his words. 

Jaehyun chuckled. "But you love me." 

"Of course I do," Doyoung responded in a small voice, his lips painted in a gentle smile. 

"Aren't you glad I pulled you in? It's fun!" Jaehyun said. 

Doyoung rolled his eyes. "Maybe a little," he mumbled. 

"Oh come on!" 

"Fine! I'm having fun in the water," Doyoung responded, punctuating his words with a big splash to Jaehyun's face. But Jaehyun just giggled, swimming back to Doyoung to collect his kiss.

~~~~~~~~~~

Mark and Donghyuck swam behind the boat, treading water and watching everything that was going on, as usual. Now that Jeno and Jaemin were together, they had other matters to focus on. 

"Okay...the whole Yuta, Sicheng, and Kun thing is definitely weird," Mark said quietly to Donghyuck. 

"I know, right?" Donghyuck responded in a surprised yet soft voice, his arm wrapped around Mark's waist. 

"It just...doesn't make sense. Last year, Yuta was the oblivious one. Sicheng was crazy about him, and now...everything's changed." 

"It is odd. Did they get into a fight?"

"I mean, maybe..."

Donghyuck sighed. "That can't be it. Yuta doesn't seem upset with Sicheng, just Kun. And Sicheng hasn't really been cold to Yuta." 

"It makes me feel bad. Like, Yuta and Sicheng are a big part of our group. If they're torn apart, what do we do?" Mark said sadly. Donghyuck sighed; he knew how much their group friendship meant to Mark, especially since these were really the only friends he had. 

"Are you guys talking about..." Jeno started, looking between Sicheng and Kun playing in the water and Yuta aggressively eating chips on the boat with Renjun. 

"Uh-huh," Mark answered. 

"It's so weird!" Jaemin whispered. "I know I wasn't a part of the group last year, but they were so clingy to each other. I always saw them together." 

"Yeah, they were inseperable last year," Donghyuck answered. 

"Do either of you even know what's going on?" Mark asked. 

"Renjun said Yuta just complains about Kun, saying that Sicheng is his boyfriend and all and that he shouldn't be flirting so much. But every time Renjun tries to ask more questions or give Yuta some advice, Yuta just brushes him off." 

"He really should just talk to Sicheng about it," Donghyuck said bluntly. 

"Not everyone is as confident as you, ya know," Jeno responded. "But he could at least ask one of us to do it."

"I would get involved, but I'm not really close to either of them, or Kun either. Are any of you guys?" Donghyuck asked, but everyone shook their heads. 

"Well, I know Renjun's close to all of them. He and Yuta always get stuck together, plus he, Sicheng, and Kun are all from the same state," Jaemin explained. 

"We'll ask him about it. I promise," Jeno responded, seeing the nervous look in Mark's eyes. 

"I hope we can fix this. I hope their relationship can still work," Mark said with a whistful look in his eyes. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you getting sick?" Yukhei asked with a worried look in his eyes. 

Jungwoo shook his head back, his arms wrapped around him. "I don't think so." 

Even though the sun was out, Jungwoo was desperately cold. In just his swim trunks, he was vulnerable to the cold and winds of the lake. He didn't really want to go into the water and get even more freezing, so kindly, Yukhei had agreed to stay with him. 

"Come closer," Yukhei said softly, rubbing the sides of Jungwoo's arms as they sat on the boat. Jungwoo scootched in closer until he was practically on Yukhei's lap, shivering a little in his arms. 

"I get cold really easily," Jungwoo explained in his quiet gentle voice. Yukhei nodded, but Jungwoo could see that his nervous weren't soothed. Suddenly, Yukhei patted Jungwoo's head and stood up. Jungwoo watched him go in a panic but Yukhei returned moments later with his hands full. 

"Maybe you need to eat something," Yukhei said, his voice sounding unusual since it was so quiet. Jungwoo hummed and took the chips, eating them quietly. 

"Thank you," he said quietly, holding one up for Yukhei to take. But instead of using his hands Yukhei just bit the chip out of Jungwoo's hands, both of them giggling. 

"Oh! I have this for you too. I even took the trash out of the pockets." Yukhei lifted his letterman football jacket from his hands, draping it delicately over Jungwoo's shoulders. Jungwoo responded with a surprised grin, fitting his arms through the sleeves. The jacket was definitely at least a size or two too big for him, but it was cozy and it smelled like Yukhei (which maybe wasn't a good thing, but Jungwoo liked his scent). 

"It's really nice." 

"It looks so cute on you babe!" Yukhei said. "You should keep it or something." 

"No way! I can't keep this. It's too nice," Jungwoo responded, flopping his sleeve-hands. Even though it was just a school letterman jacket, Jungwoo knew it must have been expensive. Anyways, Yukhei worked hard to earn it, as told by the " Quarterback, MVP - 2018" embroided on the right side, the left embroided with his name.

"It's a present now. It's yours," Yukhei insisted, holding Jungwoo's arms down when he tried to take it off. 

"A-are you sure?" Jungwoo stuttered. 

Yukhei grinned. "It's all for you." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hey guys! I hope you all are enjoying the story so far. If you want to do me a favor, you can rank the couples in the story from favorite to least favorite for me! This will help me know who you want to see. Thank you so much for all of your kind words and stuff! It means a lot to me.