CHAPTER 4

TO BELONG TO

“I like it here. It’s rarely raining here. And if it did, it just a soft one. Quite comforting. This is the first time I found out that rain not so bad and I like it”

“It’s been a long time since I see the sky full of stars. I used to dream to become an astronaut. But in school, I flopped on Biology. Funny isn’t it?”

“The thought of dying hasn’t crept into my mind lately. Maybe seeing a new place and meet new people helped”

“I walked on the street and talk to people that I never know before. I think I’m getting better. These people over here are friendly. The old lady next to my house is really friendly. I learn to knit”

“I knit a pair of sock. I even wear it right now. It’s nice. I’m in the middle of knitting another one. I hope you like red”

“It’s hot. They say tropical place always hot with frequent rain. But it’s been hot all week and I just wish for some rain. Weird isn’t it? But I can’t bear being sweaty all over. I think I can’t stay here longer”

“Still in a tropical country but I stayed near the sea. Don’t worry. I won’t do that stupid thing again like when we first meet”

“Finding someone I belong to and belong to me is like searching in the haystack. There a lot of human in this world and I’m searching for one person. I began to feel this mission of mine will end up fruitless. Don’t you think so?”

“It’s weird. I see a picture of someone who looks just like you. He is an idol. If that what people call them. I don’t know much. I rarely listen to music. I just like to read. To think back I don’t know what your job is. I never asked and you never told me. But you always busy. That I know”

“There a guy flirting with me. He is a librarian and I always come to the library he takes care of. It makes me think if he is the one I belong to. What do you think? Should I go for it? Or should I want to see first? But the feeling of insecurity keeps coming to me”

“He asked me out. But I don’t know what to say. I don’t usually stay in the same place for a long time. But this time I stayed. What should I say to him? Should I go out with him? Or maybe move from here?”

“I… I decide to trust him…”

 

He pulls out the earphone he been wearing in and open his eyes. They already arrived at the airport after a long hour in the aeroplane. Some people might think the earphone he put on his ears is playing some songs but it clearly not. He has been replaying her message that he saves on his phone.

It’s been more than two years since she decides to go on her own way and searching for someone that belongs to her. But the last voice message that he receives is 4 months ago. After that, there is no single contact with her.

He sighs and gets up from his seat to get out as the others already did that.

It’s not like he never tries to contact her or even search for her. But he never found her. The phone she used to call him always a public phone that he can’t call back. And ironic, he never available to answer her calls whenever she calls him. And leave it to the voice message.

He has been worrying over the last message she left. It’s been 4 months and he didn’t get any message after that. Wonder if that person is the person she been searching for. There a part who relieved to think that happen but there a part which not since he worried over her. But for sure there certain parts deep inside him wish she comes back to him.

There no clear answer to what he feels toward her. He has been debating over these time when she not around and it totally not helping when he heard that she going to try it. But there nothing he can do. He doesn’t know where she is and if he did, he got no time to go to her side.

 

The comfy bed on his new dorm is comforting and makes him sleepy. The others already do their stuff and some doing the same as him. At that time in which the sun still shining, but their eyes closed. Not used to the change of time after spending a different timeframe.

His phone rings and he still can’t open his eyes. But when he clearly heard the ringtone, his body quickly spring up. It is the phone from his old number. His number in this past time changed a few times but he still keeps this one that no one called except the one person he been waiting for.

“Hello…” he says carefully and anticipated since it’s been a long time. But when the voice on the other side is of a male, there is a change in the sense on him.

“Hello, is this Mr Min Yoongi?” the other asked.

It’s not normal to be called that over the phone especially from a stranger and he kind of sense it not any fans. “Yes. It is”

“I’m Kwak Dohyun from D&L Lawyer office. I got something for you from Miss Lee Erin. Can we meet up?”

“Huh?”

 

He enters the lawyer office and looked around. The call yesterday has been bothering him very much but he can’t go straight away since he too tired. Today as they talked, he arrives sharp at 1 PM.

“I’m sorry, I got an appointment with Lawyer Kwak Dohyun” he says to the counter and the lady checked before nodded. “I will bring you there” she says as she gets up and walks toward the room.

He follows her without much says and not far from the counter, they arrive in the room. She opens the door and informs the owner of the room before telling him to enter. After he enters she leaves the room and closes it.

“Mr Min Yoongi?” asked the lawyer and he nodded. “It is nice to meet you. I’m Kwak Dohyun” he offers his hand that being taken for a simple handshake.

“Please sit. I will make you some coffee”

He sits as ordered and looked around the office. At that time he asked, “What is it about?”

“You don’t know? Did Miss Erin never tell you?”

“No”

“Ah. I see…” he put two cups of coffee on the table and smiled. After he gets something on the table he sits in front of him.

“It’s like this. Two years ago, Miss Erin comes to my office and began to arrange a will. And in her will, she stated that after two years from the date, I should contact you. Two years’ timeline passed quite a while but I haven’t been able to contact you until yesterday”

“There a thought that maybe I got a wrong number but when I search for some lead to contact you using your name and personal ID, there nothing that I found except you left Korea for quite some time. A few days ago I learned that you will come back and decide to call you right after you land”

“Can you get to the main topic? I don’t have much time to spend today” he says and the guy nodded.

“Miss Erin entrust me to handle her assets including a few houses, buildings and stocks” he opens the file and shows it to him. “Before she leaves, she leaves me with a will that stated after two years if she does not come back, I need to contact you and inform all her assets are now yours”

He frowns clearly in the middle of doesn’t understand and thinking what the mean of this. “That’s mean; from now on, anything belongs to Miss Erin will now belong to you. You can do anything you want with it. Miss Erin also entrust me with her bank account. However as long as there no news stating that she died, all money will still belong to her. And if she did, I will deposit all of it into your account”

“What the mean of all this?” he can’t stand hearing all of that. “Where is she right now?”

“That I don’t know. I just do what I’m entrusted to” he smiled.