EUNBI

LOOK AT ME

 

 

 

 

Today is my very important day. It has been more than seven months since I’ve apply at this audit company. I have been jobless for more than a year and this time and today, finally I can see a single ray for my life. Giving me a new hope to live in this world. My mother has told me to work only in her company, but I don’t want. I am twenty four year old and I think I should learn how to live by my own, to be an independent person. So here I am, going here and there for more than a year, looking for a job that I qualified.

I walked proudly and confidently when I arrived to the office. What a great environment they have in here. I put on a smile, giving everyone in the office a really sincerely smile I ever have. I should be good to them, I can’t lose this job. If I lose, maybe one day might end up eating sand.

 

“So, this is your place from now on, you will be work as a team with the other three. They are still not coming maybe around eleven in the morning, you will get to meet them”

 

She is telling me everything in the office. After finish listening to her, I can finally take a sit at my own desk, and start doing my first job that handed to me. It shocking me that I should work with another auditor, but still thankfully that my partners is all girl and no man. It is not like I didn’t like man, it is just I prefer my team is in the same gender, because if not, or course there will be a love story between the team, and I totally hate it. I have a lot of friend who fall in love with their co-worker in the office, for me that is not necessary and unprofessional. How can a person fall in love with their own co-worker? I don’t even want to think about that.

 

……………………………………….

 

Tired. That is the only thing that I can feel after I landed myself on my bed. My first day feels like a hell after meet my team that I have to work with, especially the person that sit behind me! She is just so annoying!

Eunbi, Sojung, Eunha.

One by one, keep giving me a headache. Little things that I know and learn from them that Sojung is the tallest person in the company while Eunha is the shortest one. But that is not my point. Eunha is the friendly one, Sojung too, but sometimes she’s just too clingy that make me suffocated. I should be thankful to those two because if not I may end up argue with the person that sit behind me.

 

Eunbi. My first impression about her.

 

She is hella annoying and not in any part of the world I want to be her friend. Never. I will never want it. Not even aftermath. For me, my life will be better if I didn’t see her face, for the rest of my life. I didn’t hate her, but her rude and cold behavior to me make me really want to let out another side of me in front of her.

 

 

………………………………………………………..

 

“Yah! Check it properly?! You are wasting my time! If you can’t do this job then why you even have a gut to apply here?! One month here still doing nothing!”

 

Left.

 

She left. Just like that, after humiliated me in front of everyone in that witness the scene where she scold me, cold hearted. I know it was my fault that I didn’t double checked it before I give my boss yesterday because I was in a hurry, and this morning Eunbi was called by our boss because she is the leader in audit team and any mistakes that was found by our boss, Eunbi is likely will get to scold first.

 

I know it is my fault but she don’t have to shout at me like that. It was embarrassed me. Sojung and Eunha is in their off day make me and Eunbi who sitting in one room feel awkward. Even though she is sitting behind me, it is enough to make me really awkward. I keep on looking at the mirror that on my desk, a mirror that I always use to look at Eunbi secretly. She keep throwing files to her side, doing things loudly as if it a sign that she is in not a good mood.

 

It is been a month since I worked in this company but I rarely talk in person with her. It’s not like I want to be her friend because it was far from my intention but unfortunately I have to. But every time I tried to talk and want to have a conversation with her, she always seems busy and it was shown on her face that she don’t really want to be my friend. Maybe if it’s not because of Sojung and Eunha, I will never have a chance to hear Eunbi casual voice.

 

………………………………….

 

“Yewon! Tell us what happen two days ago? Is that true? That Sinb scolded you in front of everyone?”

 

Eunha, as usual with her question. She and Sojung just come into the office today and I’m forgot to prepare everything that they might ask. Both of them are such a busybody.

 

“Nah, it was actually my fault so I deserve that”

“Yah! But she also no need to shout at you like that, it was in front of everyone tho”

“It’s alright, it’s my mistake, I should’ve double checked that report first before send to boss”

“I’m sorry Yewon, if I didn’t take my day off, it should be me who proofread it”

 

Eunha apologize. She don’t have to apologize, it was not even her fault. I hate when someone innocent apologize to me.

 

“It’s okay, I’m okay. Can we eat now? I’m really hungry”

 

And we take our lunch together, just like always. The have been my only friend in this company and they always try to make me comfortable to work here. Eunbi as usual, never join to take lunch together or else she would join Sojung and Eunha when I’m not around. I just never understand that but I guess, it is alright for me.

 

 

“Hey, Yewon can I sit here?”

 

He again. Sanha. He is a guy from other department. He is friendly, too much actually. His clingy is worse that Sojung, if Sojung sometime make me suffocated, Sanha is unbearable. If can, I rather not to see him. It’s not like I don’t like him or hate him, but he just always make me uncomfortable.

 

“Sorry but that seat is taken”

 Eunha who can see my reaction try to help me. I know it. Because they can feel my behavior whenever Sanha is around me.

“By me of course right?”

 Sanha who don’t want to lose put his plate on the table and just sit immediately beside me.

“Yah!”

 Sojung shout, startled me.

“Oh come on! I just want to eat okay? No need to shout”

“You—“

“Sojung it’s alright. I’m okay with it”

 

 I say, try to stop Sojung. In the end, Sanha eat with us, of course with his unstoppable and annoying question.

 

“So, where is your ignorant leader?”

“You are talking about my friend and for the last time I said this again Sanha, She is not ignorant!”

 

 

Ignorant. Is Eunbi ignorant? I don’t think so. At first of course I also have that thought but working with her for a month show me that she is not that kind of person. Of course she is cold and rude sometimes but it is just the real her. Sojung also has said to me that Eunbi is totally a different person if I know her deeply. According to Sojung’s words, Eunbi is loud, same loud as Eunha, have a big laugh among them, dorkiest one and the funny one.

But none of that things that Sojung has mention I ever seen. Eunbi that I know is rude, cold, heartless , has a grumpy face or in short that I can conclude is female lion. That is Eunbi.

 

“Tch I’m just asking, why I never see her take lunch with all of you?”

“It’s none of your business”

“Oh come on! Why are you so moody today? Are you on your period?”

“Yah! She’s not period! Just eat your food silently if you don’t want me to pull your hair!”

 

Eunha suddenly shout shocking me that sit only in front of her. For the whole time Sojung and Sanha argue, she didn’t even bother to say anything and just focus on her food, and seeing her suddenly acting like that of course it shocking me. Sojung also seems taken aback by Eunha’s words.

 

“Wait—I was asking Sojung but why are you the one who know about it?” Sanha ask.

“I—i—she tol—told me about that. Just shut up and eat your food. Seriously”

“Hmmm, I can smell something fishy here. Is there anything that I didn’t know?—It’s okay! You guys don’t have to tell me, I will just pretend I know nothing okay?”

 

Sanha say as he throw wink to Eunha and Sojung. He is definitely weird guy. But Sanha words is somehow true, sometimes I can feel that too. Sojung and Eunha seems hiding something but I don’t really have a courage to ask anything afraid that they might feel uncomfortable from my question.

 

………………………………………………………..

 

“Just where is she going?”

 

Eunha ask innocently just like Sojung and I know the answer. We just comeback from meeting with our fellow accountants from other organization and Eunbi who supposed to attend and lead us didn’t present herself at the last minutes make Sojung completely stressed out just now.

 

“If we know her where bout we won’t get scolded just now! How can I know!?”

 

 Sojung answer to Eunha’s innocent question just now. Mad. Sojung completely mad.

 

“Y—yeah. I—I’m sorry. Excuse me”

 

Eunha say again. Slowly. I can feel there’s a disappointed and sad tone from her voice. Second after that, she left our room leaving me and mad Sojung who currently let out her heavy sigh loudly.

I, who don’t know what to do just continue my work silently, didn’t dare to talk to Sojung any words and after twenty minutes in silent, someone come into our room. It’s Eunbi who just show up after few hour disappear.

 

“Just where are you from Sinb?” Sojung ask. Sternly.

“Sorry it’s for personal reason”

“You should at least tell us! Mrs Choi—“

“I know I’m sorry”

“Y—you Sinb you are seriously so annoying right now!”

“I am annoying. I’m sorry okay?!”

“Can I at least slap you for this one?”

“Instead of wanting to slap me, why don’t you go to café now? I saw your girlfriend crying so hard there”

“What?! Aish! Why now!?”

 

Did I heard something wrong? Did I just heard Eunbi said girlfriend? Sojung has a girlfriend? With who? But why girlfriend?

 

“Eunha. It’s—ouch!”

 

I am too shocked till I hit Eunbi on her face with a paper that still in my hand.

 

“I’m—I’m re—really sorry. I’m sorry. I was startled, sorry”

“It’s okay. By the way, the answer that in your head is Eunha. Sojung’s girlfriend is Eunha. They are actually dating”

 

“Rea—really? Bu—but aren’t they—“

“Why? Is the anything wrong with that?”

“It’s just Sojung and Eunha, both of them is—“

“So? Is there anything wrong?”

“Bu—“

“Aish, I feel regret telling you this. You have too much but—! Just forget about it and continue your work. Don’t ask me any question again after this and if you feel suddenly feel uncomfortable with my friend’s relationship feel free to resign”

“I—I’m ok—okay”

 

………………………………………………….

 

It was still a shocking news to me even though it’s already three months since I know about it.

Sojung and Eunha dating.

No wonder those two always come together, taking their day off together, so that was the reason? Am I okay with that? I can’t confirm it yet. It is my first time having a friend dating with same gender. But I am not denying it, Sojung and Eunha seems perfect for each other. Both of them really complete each other.

 

“Oh, I thought you not coming today”

 

Eunbi’s voice stop me from drowning in my own thought. Today again, Sojung and Eunha taking their off day together with a reason not feeling well and of course I can expect it must be Eunha have to take a leave too, to take care of Sojung. They are such a cute couple. I couldn’t deny it anymore.

 

“I—I still have a job that need to be done”

“Hmm, maybe I will take my half day today, will you be alright staying here alone?”

“Yeah, it’s alright for me”

 

Weird. It is weird. It’s not like Eunbi and I never have any conversation before but today it’s really weird. Or it may my own imagination only.  Well actually, both of us never have any normal conversation except the day she told me about Sojung and Eunha. Eunbi never talk softly like that, she never use her normal voice like that, especially not to me. She always raise her voice to me, shout at me like I am a deaf person.

 

“Alright then”

 

Eunbi reply me. Using her unusual tone to me. Weird.

I keep on looking at Eunbi for the whole time, of course using the mirror that on my desk. It is my habit, secretly looking at her thru the mirror every time she sit at her place. If the mirror can talk, she might have tell me that I stalk Eunbi too much every single day.

I saw Eunbi open her drawer again. The drawer that she always lock and also the same drawer that she always open. I don’t really know what is the exact thing inside of it? But sometime, I can see the thing that she always take out from it, it is sometimes a photo album, sometime a small stuff look like a white doll and sometime a small black box.

I must be lying if I’m not curious about it. I am curious. There’s a time that I really want to break the drawer by myself and look inside of it but I am not ready yet to get kill by Eunbi’s hand. Sometime I heard Sojung ask and talk to Eunbi about the thing but I still can’t be sure about it.

 

 

“Stop looking at it Sinb”

“It just—yeah you know”

“Yeah I know and I understand you. But you can’t be like this forever”

“I will try, I promise. But for now, it just too early for me to accept it”

“I will help you, don’t worry okay?”

“Thanks Sojung”

 

Then there’s also the time where Sojung and Sinb almost get into a big fight but thankfully Eunha is around.

 

“I swear I will throw all of that thing out away from you!”

“I will really kill you if you ever do that!”

“Sojung, Sinb stop it!”

“If any of you touch it, I will really hate you two. I don’t care about our friendship anymore!!”

“You choose to break our friendship than throw that bullshi—“

“Shut up Sojung!!”

“I won’t shut up and I’m not gonna stop till I can throw that!”

“Don’t you dare to touch it Sojung!! I will kill you!! I will kill y—“

“Sinb! Stop it. She won’t touch it okay! She won’t. I promise I will never let her to touch your stuff. Both of you please stop it! Seriously please stop!!”

 

 

I really want to ask the couple about the things that in Eunbi’s drawer but I’m not ready yet. I’m afraid if Eunbi find out that I know about the things inside her drawer, she surely argue with Sojung again. And I don’t want that happen between them. Like what Eunha has said to me, Sojung and Eunbi fighting is shouldn’t be happen in the world. She said, she don’t want to imagine it and she was also said this.

 

“Sojung, Sinb, and Fight. These three word better not be in the same sentences. It’s scary Yewon-ah. Of course it will take forever for them to be in the real argument, but trust me you will never want any of it to be happen”

 

 

“Yewon!!”

 

 I got startled again and I’m sure that I’m not the only one who in shocked because Eunbi who sit behind me also seems startled by deep voice that shout my name at our room door. It’s Sanha. What is he doing in here? He is not supposed to be in here, not in this department and not in this office level.

 

“Yah!!” Eunbi shout but Sanha only throw his poker face to her.

“W—what are you doing here?”

“It’s almost lunch time! Let’s go out together. Sojung and Eunha is off day right? You must be eat alone today right? So why don’t we take lunch together?” He say excitedly.

“I—I’m—I’m okay”

I try to refuse it nicely. It’s not like I don’t like the idea, but yeah actually I don’t really like it. Honestly I don’t like it.

“Come on let’s go!”

“Actu—actually I still have a few work to be done”

“It’s lunch time Yewon-ah, you can do it after lunch right?”

“I’m—I—okay then. Give me five minutes”

“Alright! That’s my girl!”

 

I try to let out a heavy sigh slowly don’t want Sanha heard it since he standing right in front of the door waiting for me. I close the file that I use and put my work aside before I stand up ready to leave going for lunch with Sanha. It was a few moment before I step out from the room before Eunbi call me.

 

“Yewon”

“Yeah?”

“Are you forget about it?”

“H—huh? Forget what?”

 

 I ask her, confuse with her question. It confuse me even more when I realize she is looking straight into my eyes. She never do that. She never look into my eyes whenever she talk to me and I also never bother to look into her eyes whenever we talk. But today. It’s weird enough to make me confuse like a dumb person.

 

“We are taking our half day leave today together right? Which means you will go out with me having our lunch together. You promise me, aren’t you?”

“H—huh? W—when d—“

“Sorry Yoon Sanha, but today Yewon is going out with me. Seems like you gonna take your lunch alone for today. Or maybe forever”

 

“Yah! You—“Sanha shout.

“Yah?! Did you just?—Yah! Kid get out from this office before I kick you with my own feet!”

“Sorry—but noona yo—“

“I said get out, you make me suffocated! Yewon let’s go! I will wait for you at our usual place and you Sanha! I don’t want to see you around our office again or else I’ll report you to Mrs Choi!”

 

Eunbi say and then leave me who really have no idea to do. I feel sorry to Sanha because Eunbi shouldn’t say that to him.

 

“I—I’m sorry Sanha. Ex—excuse me”

 

I walk around the office still blank about Eunbi’s words just now. Usual place? She must be really kidding me and even before I can think about her more, my phone is ringing showing it is Eunbi who call me.

 

“Elevator B2 Level in two minutes!”

 

Her only words before I can say anything to her. I was rushing myself and go to the place that she said just now. She can’t wait for too long, I know it. Eunbi is not someone who can wait for more than even a minute actually.

 

“One minutes and fifteen second late”

 

Her first words after I arrive in front of her. Without even having a little bit of sorry after make me running down from stairs to the parking lot.

 

“I—i—wait”

 

I can’t say any words because I’m busy to catch my breath that I lost for a minutes ago.

 

“You are so unfit. Should exercise more”

 

She then take my left wrist pulling me with her without waiting for my response. I just let myself getting dragged by her and I can’t say anything anymore. I don’t have an energy left to argue.

 

“Get in”

 

I just sit weakly and silently at the passenger seat in her car. It is my first time seeing her car. Few second after, Eunbi sit at the driver seat calmly as she start the engine car silently. There’s a silent for a few minute between us in the car before she start speaking.

 

“Get that breathe already?”

“Ye—yeah”

“Good then let’s go”

“To where?”

“Lunch of course. I’m hungry”

 

I didn’t say any after that. It’s not like I don’t want to reply to her anything but it just I have a lot of question to ask her. But I’m afraid that she might be mad at me if I ask her a lot of question. The ride is too awkward for me and I still can’t ask any question that has been running inside my head.

 

“Urm Eun—bi?”

“Yes?”

“I—I didn’t mean to disturb your focus but I actually have a few things that I want to ask you”

“No I’m okay. Just ask me what is it?” She reply me in unusual kind tone that I ever heard from her.

“Hmm, ab—about just now at the office. Sanha—“

“Sojung and Eunbi—I mean Eunha, told me”

“Told you what?”

“About Sanha”

“Ohh”

“You said you are feel uncomfortable around him but why are you agree to go with him?”

“It’s just—I mean I feel—I feel sorry to him because he said he is eating alone and it’s lunch time too. I—I need to go take my lunch too”

“I see. But next time I don’t want you to force yourself go to him. If you uncomfortable then don’t go. I don’t like that kid, I know his intention”

 

“But I feel uncomfortable with you too”

! What the heck Yewon?! Why did you just say?! You are dead! I’m so dead! I hope she didn’t hear that. Dear god please help me. Please!

 

“But being with me is still better than being with hi, am I right?” She chuckle.

“I—I’m sorr—I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean that. I’m sorry”

“It’s okay. I understand it, you don’t have to worry about it”

“I’m really sorry”

“If that so, you have to promise me one thing”

“W—what is it?”

“I don’t want you going out with Sanha again. I don’t want you to force yourself to be with him again”

“But why?”

“Aren’t you said that you don’t really like him?”

“Yeah but—“

“Because I don’t like it. I just don’t like it”

 

 

“I mean I just want to protect you from him. He isn’t that good. I know him”