Chapter 20 - The Unrequited Love

Coke

I ate my breakfast and rushed out the door while mom was printing "Kai's" (ahem…Baekhyun's) full sized photos so that she can see if the suit she will choose will look good on him or not. Like what the hell? How can mom see someone's size by printing their photos? Can someone explain that to me?

 

If you do, then a million dollars is on your way, sister.

 

I took a cab since Unnie went to her friend. Again. And went to the hotel EXO were staying in.

 

Fortunately, when I arrived, Manager Hyung was in the reception with some of the other staff members.

 

I walked up to him and asked him which room Kai was in.

He told me the number and I took the lift to the fifth floor.

 

I stopped near room 504 and knocked on the door.

A few moments later, Kyungsoo opened. He was startled to see me, but I wasn't.

 

"Ari, what are you--?"

 

"Where is Kai?" I asked.

 

"In the bathroom. Kai was about to come and see you--"

 

"And Baekhyun?"

 

"Probably in his room…" He frowned.

 

"Which room is he in?." I asked tersely.

 

"He might be sleeping--"

 

"I don't care,

 

"Alright…" Kyungsoo nodded. "It's room 507."

 

"Thank you and tell Kai to come there." I walked to Baekhyun's room and knocked on the door.

 

After a second or so, Baekhyun opened the door. He was surprised to see me. And for some reason, I was surprised to see him as well. Maybe I was assuming that Chanyeol would open the door, but that was not the case.

 

My heart thumped a little. Maybe it was anger that's all, nonetheless, I kept a straight and furious face.

 

"We need to talk."

 

***

 

I sent Chanyeol out of the room. Kai and Baekhyun stood in front of me, both glaring at each other like wolves.

 

"Okay, we need to settle this with mom once and for all." I said.

 

"If Baekhyun had told your mom about it after he realized the misunderstanding, then this wouldn't have been a problem!" Kai yelled.

 

"Excuse me, you have no idea how hard I tried--" Baekhyun retorted but Kai cut him off.

 

"Yeah, I can see very clearly how hard you tried." He scoffed.

 

Baekhyun took a step toward Kai and was about to attack when I quickly yelled. "Stop!"

 

Baekhyun and Kai looked at me.

 

"This is not the time to fight! Let's go to my house right now and tell mom who is who."

 

***

 

We were now in my living room. I stood in between Kai and Baekhyun. Mom was across us, sitting on the couch. She glanced from Kai to Baekhyun confusedly.

 

"Mom, we have something we need to clear to you."

 

She attentively leaned forward.

 

"You misunderstood Baekhyun for Kai. When as matter of fact, this is Kai--"I waved my hand to the left and "This is Baekhyun." I waved my hand to the right.

 

"Yeah Ari, I know that that--" She pointed to my right. "Is Kai and that one is Baekhyun…? Did I say that right?"

 

I frowned and looked to my right when the sudden realization struck me that this time I confused mom that Baekhyun was Kai because Baekhyun actually stood to my left and Kai was on my right.

 

"No No! I mean this is Kai and this is Baekhyun." I said correctly this time. But I stepped forward and checked their faces again, in case I got it wrong.

 

"Are you guys joking with me?" Mom asked seriously.

 

"No, mom! It's not a joke. You got confused and it's totally understandable, but please you have to listen to us. The one I love is this Kai!" I intertwined my arms with Kai's.

 

"Aunty, we must look alike to you, but I am Kai," Kai said. "And that's my friend, Byun Baekhyun."

 

Mom squinted her eyes and glanced at the three of us suspiciously. "Is it true?" She asked Baekhyun.

 

At once, me and Kai looked at him. He looked at mom with stern, yet soft eyes. I prayed repeatedly that Baekhyun would end this melodrama right this moment.

 

However…

 

He suddenly began to laugh. "Oh Mother-in-Law, we played you well, didn't we?"

 

Wait…

 

Mother-in-Law?

 

No!

 

This isn't happening…

 

"Baekhyun…" Kai mumbled.

 

Mom chuckled and got up from her seat. "Yes, you guys got me good! I knew something wasn't right!"

 

"No, mom! Baekhyun's lying--"

 

"And you three know how to waste my time as well. I seriously have so much to do with all the wedding cards and stuff." She smiled. "Kai, are you free right now?"

 

"Yes, Aunty." Baekhyun replied.

 

"Then can we go out and get done some things? We are indeed short on time!"

 

"Of course, Aunty." He grinned.

 

"I'll get ready, until then, Ari, why don't you entertain our guest here." She glanced at Kai and walked away toward her bedroom.

 

"Baekhyun!" I yelled and he looked at me. "What did you just do?!"

 

"What did I do?" He asked impassively.

 

Unexpectedly, Kai jumped at Baekhyun and held the collar of his hood. "Why?" He asked angrily.

 

"Kai…" I held his arm presuming that if I didn't stop him, he would ruin Baekhyun's pretty face.

 

"Isn't it obvious?" He said. "I love Ari." And he looked at me with glazed, taut eyes.