Chapter 14 - EXO finally meets my mom!

Coke

I stood near the railing with bated breaths and sweaty hands. I hopped on my toes, squeezed Unnie's arm tight and screamed internally for the past 20 minutes because in another 5 minutes or so, Kai would be coming out of the airport!

 

I still can't believe that he's coming…I get to hold his hands…Touch him…And maybe even…

 

I screamed bashfully, but this time loudly. Unnie glared at me for being so hyper, but I know that she is as excited as I am because Kai told me that most of the members are arriving now and some will arrive later for their spring photoshoot.

 

I glanced at my watch and just when I looked up, I saw two figures coming out of the airport with their backpacks. They looked around a little but I quickly waved at them.

 

Kai noticed me first and waved back. Baekhyun who noticed me promptly, waved as well. He walked toward us, but Kai was near the entrance waiting for the other members.

 

"Unnie, let's go." I grabbed her hand and we both went to the other side of the railing. Strangely, I couldn't help but keep my focus on Kai. He stared at me too and I could see how impatient he was getting. He swayed on his heels and once on every two seconds he would look inside the airport.

 

Suddenly, I felt my toe hitting something hard like concrete and my body losing its balance. The ground got closer and closer and I hastily closed my eyes because I didn't want to see Baekhyun and Kai see me fall…Which is truly absurd because they will obviously see and I will eventually fall.

 

However, a few long seconds had passed and I didn't feel any pain. Why does this feel like a deja vu…?

 

I opened my eyes and saw that an arm had saved my beautiful face from getting scratched. I quickly looked up, my heart still in the process of pumping and saw Baekhyun looking down at me concernedly. "Gwenchana-ah?" He asked.

 

I quickly stood aright and nodded embarrassingly. How could I be so clumsy?! Ugh…I hate myself.

 

I looked at Unnie and she looked a bit surprised for some reason. I then averted my gaze at Kai and saw him running over to me. "Ari! You okay? Did you get hurt?" He asked rapidly.

 

"I'm okay…" I smiled dumbly. "Thank you, Baekhyun…"

 

 

He just smiled and turned around to face the members and their managers who were gradually coming out of the airport.

 

"Ari, look where you're walking!" Kai placed his hand on my head and shook me a little.

 

My cheeks turned warm and I wanted to just take one more step toward him and wrap my arms around him, but…I didn't do it. I could've because I knew he wouldn't mind, but I stayed reserved.

 

Of course, I regret it, but I need one more confirmation from him that I can touch him without his permission again…You know. I'm still getting used to me and Kai dating hehe…

 

Anyway, the ones that landed today were Kai, Baekhyun, Luhan, Lay and Chanyeol. The rest will come tomorrow as scheduled.

 

Me and Unnie greeted everyone and asked them if they wouldn't mind coming to our house for dinner. Chanyeol.and Baekhyun agreed immediately and talked to their manager who didn't mind the plan since their shoot starts from tomorrow afternoon. So, they gave their backpacks to the Manager and followed me and Unnie to our car.

 

I was absolutely animated to finally let mom meet Kai. I have a feeling that she will really really like him…At least I hope she does.

 

The seven of us sat in mom's SUV and drove to our house.

The vehicle suddenly became noisy with their Chanyeol's constant complaining of how the food wasn't tasty and Baekhyun's continous chattering of how he wants to see Hollywood so badly!

 

I looked back at Kai but saw that he had his eyes closed. Luhan and Lay were napping too.

 

We were stuck in traffic but there was still another half hour drive to our house, so I decided this was a good chance to let them freshen themselves up before the big drop of the curtains.

 

As every second passed, my heart pounded as if someone was striking it with a hammer. I was silent, nodding and answering only when Baekhyun and Chanyeol asked me something. I was feeling nauseous too and I wished I didn't eat yesterday's Lasagna..Nonetheless, I kept on praying until we finally reached our destination.

 

***

 

Unnie dropped us at the entrance and drove behind to park the vehicle in the garage.

 

I stood in front of the door; breathless and nervous and glanced back at Kai.

 

He smiled at me and nodded. I nodded too and exhaled softly before pressing the doorbell with my shaky finger.

 

I heard Baekhyun snicker, and being honest, it calmed me down a little. But the calmness only stayed for a mili-second because then I heard the soft thud of the footsteps and the door unlock with a hint of hastiness.

 

I clenched my fists and held my breath. The door opened and mom stood in front of us looking all cute and pretty. She wore a top and a skirt, she applied a little make-up and she also tucked a rose in her hair bun. I was a bit surprised myself to see her like this so suddenly because usually, she doesn't dress up unless its for a party or a family gathering.

 

She smiled and dazedly glanced at the members who were waiting behind me patiently.

 

"Hello, Aunty!" Chanyeol yelled from behind and at once, the others realized how rude they were for not greeting my mom. They bowed and mom felt kind of embarrassed to see them all like this.

 

"Come on in," She said and backed away from door.

 

I entered and the others followed suit.

 

"Ari, sit in the living room, I will bring some tea and snacks for them." She smiled and walked away to the kitchen.

 

I glanced at Kai and finally breathed. He chuckled and said, "Your mom is pretty."

 

"And you have a beautiful house." Luhan said.

 

"Thank you," I said and waved them to the living room. "This way."

 

They silently sat on the couch and looked around the house. Kai motioned me to sit beside him but I couldn't because Baekhyun was there.

 

I mouthed him that its okay, but he tapped Baekhyun's shoulder and gestured him to scoot a little. Lay had to move as well because of Baekhyun and in no time, I had a small space where I could fit in easily.

 

Kai motioned me again and I walked over to him and sat between him and Baekhyun.

 

"I hope your mom likes us…" Baekhyun said nervously.

 

"I think she does." I replied.

 

Just then, mom came to the living room with a tray filled with tea cups and two plates of assorted biscuits, brownies and cookies.

 

She placed them on the tea table and told everyone to eat and drink. Mom sat on the other single chair and looked at the members with soft, glazed eyes.

 

Since I was a bit close to the table, I gave Kai and Baekhyun their cups of tea.

 

Where is Unnie…? I thought but my thought was suddenly shunned away when Mom started to speak. "So, Ari told me that you are a famous group in Korea?"

 

"Yes Aunty," Chanyeol said shyly. "We are EXO."

 

There was silence. The only sound that was heard were the sipping of the teas and the crunching of the biscuits.

 

"You have a lovely house, Aunty." Baekhyun spoke in an awkward manner.

 

"Thank you, dear." She smiled gently.

 

I glanced at Kai, he glanced back and told me to eat as well. I kindly refused since my stomach was still slightly twisting and I didn't have the appetite to eat anything at the moment.

 

"So tell me more about your group." Mom asked and believe it or not, time passed as swiftly as the flow of water on a summer's night.

 

We talked, we laughed and we had dinner together. Mom made her specialty which was rice with chicken curry. They enjoyed it and to my surprise, Baekhyun took three or four servings of it.

 

After dinner, the manager had called Chanyeol to tell them that they had to come to the hotel since they had a few change of plans for tomorrow that they had to discuss.

 

"Sorry Aunty, but we have to leave…" Baekhyun said with a disappointed tone.

 

"Its alright, if you have time tomorrow, why don't you drop by?"

 

"Certainly." He said.

 

"Thank you for the food, Ari's mom. It was delicious." Kai said.

 

"I'm glad you liked it." She smiled.

 

"Then, have a goodnight." Chanyeol said and opened the door.

 

The members said their goodnights and goodbyes to mom and left the house. I followed Kai outside and closed the door behind me.

 

There was already a van waiting outside our house. One by one, they sat inside but kept the door open for Kai.

 

He turned around and looked at me.

"Goodnight…"

 

"Goodnight." I repeated. I felt a bit sad since we didn't get the chance to spend some "quality" time together, but I was happy that mom got to meet Kai. I just have to go in and ask what she thinks about him now.

 

"I'll meet you tomorrow then." He said and swiftly tangled his fingers with mine.

 

The warmth of his hands made me fall into a crack of tranquility.

 

"Yeah…" I breathed. We looked at each other for a while. As if our gaze was the only thing alive.

 

And momentarily, I noticed him inching closer to me. Gradaully and slowly, but surely.

 

I held my breath because I perceived he was going to do 'it', but unexpectedly, "Oi, KAI! COME ON! WE NEED TO LEAVE!" Baekhyun rolled down the window and yelled from inside the van.

 

Kai stopped, clicked his tongue and instead, kissed the baxk of my palms before untangling our fingers and marching towards the van. He waved at me and finally sat inside.

 

The others waved as well and promptly, the van took off. It disappeared in the dimness of the streets. Vanishing as if today didn't exist anymore.

 

I did some breathing exercises before heading back inside. Mom was in the kitchen and right when she heard the door click shut, she called out to me. "ARI, PUT THE DISHES IN THE DISHWASHER!"

 

I headed to the kitchen and saw her storing the remaining food in the fridge.

 

"Where's Cherry?" Mom asked.

 

"I have no idea…" I walked over to the dishwasher and pulled down the flap. Although, now that I think about it, she didn't once come to greet EXO or tell them goodnight. Where could she be? "She must be in her room, I guess."

 

"Hm."

 

"Mom," I started to set the dirty dishes in the racks. "What did you think of Kai?"

 

She was quiet for a minute or so and then she said, "He's nice and good looking."

 

Her words made me hop in delight. I wanted to scream but it would be too weird for mom to see me fangirl.

 

"Thank you, Mom…for agreeing to meet him."

 

She closed the fridge and turned to me seriously. "You really like him?"

 

I nodded vigourously.

 

She closed the fridge, "I need to talk to Cecil's parents then…" and walked away.

 

I screamed internally and post haste put the dishes in the washer, switched it on and ran to Unnie.

 

I barged inside her room but the empty, dark room took me by surprise.

 

"Eh? Unnie…" I called out, but there was no reply.

 

I went to my room and texted her.

 

Me: Where are you?

 

Her last seen was around 6 pm. I waited, but she didn't see my message.

 

I called her and fortunately, she picked up after a few rings.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Unnie, where the heck are you?"

 

"My friend called so I had to leave."

 

"Oh…"

 

"So?"

 

"Hm?"

 

"Why did you call?"

 

"Just to ask you where you were."

 

"Now you know."

 

"What happened to your friend?"

 

"Heart break."

 

"I see…"

 

"How did it go?"

 

I grinned. "Excellent. Mom liked Kai and I think she will talk to Cecil's parents soon!" I shrieked in a whisper.

 

"Good, I'm happy for you."

 

"All thanks to you, Unnie." I let out a sigh of relief.

 

"Yeah…Listen, I gotta go now. Tell mom I'll be back home in another hour."

 

"Yeah."

 

She quickly hung up.

 

I messaged mom about Unnie, put my phone to charging and went to take a warm shower.