Chapter 2

Better, Best, and Byun Baekhyun

T h i s  i s  t h e  c o n t i n u a t i o n

 

•••••

 

 

"H-how you me know?" Struggling to find the words that would fit in, Baekhyun sat down and tries to recall, if there are any, his memories with Jongin. 

 

He's stuck with Chanyeol ever since highschool, which has its pros and cons. To begin with, Baekhyun treasures every moment he spent with his ex-boyfriend; may it be uneventful, chaotic, or beautiful— he values it all. However, due to their inseparable relationship, Chanyeol grew tired while Baekhyun has no close friends to run with.

 

"I'm sorry, I think I've forgotten our mini encounter." 

 

"Except that there is none. Don't pressure your peanut." That was a relief to Baekhyun. He doesn't want to offend anyone because of he was— is whipped to Chanyeol. 

 

"So how did you know me?" Baekhyun straighten his sit, rest his face on his left hand, and curiously asked Jongin.

 

"Maybe because I care about my surroundings unlike you. No offense." Jongin didn't really gave him the answer that would end his curiosity, but he let it passed. He's unsure if Jongin is a good companion, but his thought is leading into something negative. Jongin seems like the person who will constantly tease you without bothering to weigh if the joke is offensive or not.

 

"Saying no offense doesn't make anything less offensive. And for your information, I care. You're just not in my surroundings." 

 

"There was only Chanyeol, now you got none but me." Jongin said with his hand on his chest. 

 

"He'll come back to me." Rather than an answer to Jongin, it was like comforting his self with a lie. 

 

"More like you'll keep on begging until he welcomes you in his life again. Your relationship was the typical highschool story wherein everything's big deal and dramatic. I bet you'd say 'let's break up' tons of times every time you fight." To Baekhyun's surprise, Jongin was actually saying the truth. The reason behind his statement earlier is because this is not the first time they broke up and had a heated argument. 

 

Jongin did not wait for him to defend his relationship with Chanyeol. He started walking to the counter while Baekhyun is still convincing his self that they're relationship was not chaotic or immature at all.

 

 

 

 

"Baekhyun I pay, I decide." Jongin shouted in a way that wouldn't bother anyone but Baekhyun.

 

"He's a good bother though..."

 

Without his self's approval, Baekhyun's mind begin to travel back to the time when he and Chanyeol were genuinely happy and contented with each other. The time when everything seems to be completed and perfect. 

 

Park Chanyeol is the perfect boyfriend. A thought that isn't only coming from Baekhyun but from everyone who knows him or their relationship. Chanyeol fits the standards of this society. If you're planning to achieve those relationship goals that people post on social media, he is the perfect match. He was the type of man who will surprise you even if there is no occasion. Chanyeol was romantic... a full-package.

 

But Baekhyun doesn't crave for that, though he is beyond grateful. He simply loves being with Chanyeol. He loves Park Chanyeol. Nothing more, nothing less. 

 

"Soon, everything will be okay", he said with full of hopes. 

 

"When will soon begin though?" Baekhyun nearly jump to his sit when a familiar voice suddenly entered, again, his inner thoughts. Jongin carefully place their food on the table before pulling the chair in front of Baekhyun and comfortably sit.

 

"Only time will tell, Jongin." Sigh.

 

"Wrong answer. Only you or Chanyeol can tell." Again, Baekhyun didn't argue because logically speaking, Jongin is right. 

 

No one breaks the silence after that. Jongin already started eating his meal while Baekhyun took the opportunity to think more about Jongin. If he guesses it correctly, Jongin is an athlete, probably a part of the school's basketball team. He could also be the type of student who's known for complaining, but always making a good point. Maybe he's a smart- student? Is he sarcastic? Brutally honest?

 

Baekhyun brushes the thoughts away. Although the food that Jongin bought for him isn't his favorite, not like he knows it, Baekhyun silently followed Jongin on eating their meals. 

 

 

 

 

"Can we play the 'are you?' game?" 

 

"Are you...? What?" Jongin stops eating and confusedly look at Baekhyun.

 

"It's a simple get-to-know each other game. We'll gonna ask each other a question based on this and that, then we'll answer it with a 'yes' or 'no' and you can add some explanation if you want." 

 

"In this world, we, humans, call it 20 questions game. Stupid." Jongin scoffs and rolled his eyes upon realizing that the game was not new to him anymore. 

 

"How sure are you that you're the human and not me?" 

 

"Are we playing your silly game or not?"

 

Baekhyun stops eating and think for a while. He only met Jongin a few minutes ago, but he's acting like they are so, so, so close. Because of this, lots of questions entered his mind but Baekhyun carefully choose what to ask.

 

"Are you naturally like this? Acting comfortably to someone you just met?" 

 

"Nawp." 

 

"Then why did you approach me?" Baekhyun waited for Jongin to expound his answer, but it seems like Jongin is already satisfied at what he said, so he made an additional question. 

 

"Damn, your questions are boring and easy to guess. For the sake of your dying curiosity, I have no plans of making acquaintance especially with a brokenhearted man. I was walking, paying no attention on irrelevant things, until I saw you. You were on your bad state and I want to show off my excellent self, a perfect match. Okay, I'll tell you everything to end this nonsense immediately. If I comforted you like the usual— giving you my handkerchief, hugging you, and the worst would be telling you some words of comfort like 'it's gonna be okay', 'don't cry, or he's not worth it', it would be useless. You'll just cry more. So why not take things lightly and realistically, and act like nothing happened on you? I'm not invalidating your feelings though. This is just my way of comforting you." 

 

After his long talk, Jongin places his hands behind his head and lean more on his chair. He diverts his attention to other things, he hates being uncomfortable and awkward. He, himself, doesn't know why he approached Baekhyun. He could just do his thing and ignore the crying man, but he did the opposite. It was like Baekhyun has an enthralling forced that pulled him despite being in a miserable situation. 

 

"Jongin, thank you", Baekhyun said on his lowest tone, unfortunately, it passed on Jongin's ears. 

 

"Say it louder." Jongin put his right hand on his right ear and lean towards Baekhyun. Now, he's fine; the awkward silence was gone.

 

"JONGIN, THANK YOU!"

"Are we friends now?" Baekhyun argues with himself whether he should or shouldn't ask that to Jongin, but it wouldn't hurt him if he did anyways.

 

"We're only playing this game because of that question?" It was expected, but Jongin still shockingly looks at Baekhyun as if he doesn't know it at the back of his mind. 

 

"Well, what else could it be?" His curiosity doesn't ended on that single topic. Baekhyun wants to ask more, but refuses to do so. He still have some decency on him, he doesn't want to force Jongin to spill some beans about him.

 

"You can ask me a question too, you know," Baekhyun said as if he was hinting Jongin that it is fine to ask about what happened between him and Chanyeol.

 

"Nah, I'm good. It's not like you're not gonna tell me anyways." 

 

"Does this mean that we'll meet again?" It's not like Baekhyun doesn't want to, in fact, he's actually thankful because he needs someone at this moment. 

 

"Yep, because we're friends." Jongin said like it is the most obvious thing on this world. 

 

"How are we supposed to meet aga—"

 

 

 

 

Jongin left.

 

 

•••••

 

E n d  o f  t h e  c h a p t e r