Chapter 1

Better, Best, and Byun Baekhyun

T h i s  i s  t h e  s t a r t o f t h e b e g i n n i n g

•••••

"Chanyeol, just please talk to me!" The desperate voice of a man with tears on his eyes echoed in the empty hallway of the university. Despite having a small figure, he successfully reach the hem of Chanyeol's uniform.

Chanyeol then turned back and aggressively removes the hand that made him stop from walking. His brows are furrowed and his eyes are full of anger and disgust which startled Baekhyun a  little. "Can't you understand it, Baek? I can't force myself to be with you anymore!"

"W-what do you mean by the word force, Yeol? You're ending our relationship just because of that? The things you've done in 3 years were all forced? You can lie more than that, Park." Struggling to look at Chanyeol's eyes, Baekhyun bitterly laughed.

"Then stop bothering me and just think of any reasons that would be valid for you." With that, the taller man left and Baekhyun loses it.

Forgetting all his classes, Baekhyun went to the nearest bench in the school's ground and started to cry silently. Even though the break up was expected, he was not prepared because Baekhyun fears it. He fears the day wherein Chanyeol wouldn't be on his side to love him because his feelings outgrow. In three consecutive years, he was not alone. He was loved and happy.

When they were still in highschool, even the faculty members and students are used to "Chanyeol and Baekhyun", their names are always put together because they work better with each other. They were the couple that everyone roots for; they were unbreakable. Chanyeol and Baekhyun planned that they'll make their relationship stronger and steady in college. However, no one thought that the people who made the relationship, Baekhyun and Chanyeol, are the most capable individuals who could ruin the so-called relationship.

With all his might, Baekhyun tried hard to avoid this day. He keeps on fixing things that are not even broken, but dying. There were no couple fights to begin with, not even a third party. Things just changed and so are they. Chanyeol started to act matured, if one could name it that way. He reasoned that they are no longer in high school, so they should focus on things that are way more important. Although it sounded like an excused to Baekhyun, he believed in it. Maybe... just maybe, Chanyeol is right.

They talk to each other nonstop back then until Chanyeol confessed that it was a little bit annoying. He then told Baekhyun to only text him in case of important matters. Baekhyun hated the word important before; how could he distuguish if a simple text such as "how's your day?" is relevant or not?

The affection and sweet gestures turned to appropriate acts as Chanyeol calls it. Baekhyun almost ask Chanyeol if they are slowly changing to just friends, but was afraid to do so. Despite all of the unfairness, Baekhyun settled on it.

The most unbelievable thing was when Chanyeol told him to put Baekhyun's jealousy in to its place. Where was the place? Chanyeol began investing his time, effort, and attention to others that were supposed to be given to Baekhyun.

Call Baekhyun stupid, but he chose to be blind. He didn't object and questioned Chanyeol's way of saying that he is no longer loved. Maybe that's when Baekhyun was wrong. He made Chanyeol dominate him because the taller man knows that Baekhyun wouldn't stop him from being free while being committed.

Until this day comes. Baekhyun thought that this day would be nothing special or maybe not this kind of special. His normal day in school usually starts with him making his way to his classes, and if he's blessed enough, 
Chanyeol would accompany him. He likes to consider himself as a typical average student; Baekhyun also didn't participate in all of their school's activities, so school was never stressful for him. On lunch, he'll eat alone, he's not complaining though. Baekhyun finds it comforting and it also gives him some time to think about his boyfriend... ex boyfriend. Chanyeol would also eat with him if he's free; Baekhyun never knows what is occupying Chanyeol's time.

But Baekhyun understands it all.

No.

Baekhyun doesn't understand it at all.

He was about to buy his lunch when Chanyeol told him that they need to talk. Guessing from his tone, Baekhyun knows that he wouldn't receive any good news from Chanyeol. Maybe he did something bad again. Maybe Chanyeol needs to change something about them again.

"Let's break up."

He brought him to an empty room and after giving Baekhyun a long stare, he deadly uttered those words. Chanyeol didn't say anyhing after that and just left Baekhyun hanging. Baekhyun was left alone confused. When he somehow processed what's happening on his mind, he followed Chanyeol and beg but maybe Chanyeol simply wants to be free from their relationship already.

 

"I just want to talk. I just want to know where it all began, so we can try to resolve it again..."

"Excuse me, my fellow student. Were you given a student handbook?" Baekhyun almost jump because of the sudden voice. He quickly wiped out his tears and fix his uniform before facing the man behind him.

"Ah, yes."

"I see. I am Kim Jongin and I'm taking you to detention." Baekhyun tried to free himself from Jongin's grip, but the man holds him stronger.

"At least tell me the reason!" This day wasn't good to Baekhyun and this man is not helping him at all.

Jongin's steps are big and fast which made Baekhyun run a little until the man suddenly turned back causing him to bump on Jongin's chest. Baekhyun touched his nose and look up to Jongin with anger.

"Cutting class?" Jongin answered hinting an uncertainty on his tone. He stepped back a little to give them space and let go of Baekhyun's wrist

When Baekhyun heard the reason, he squints his eyes and point a finger to 
Jongin. "Are you playing with me?", Baekhyun said and push Jongin which has no effect at all.

"Why would I? You're not in your class, so I am correct." Jongin said like it's a matter of fact. He crossed his arms and look around the hall to check if someone else is there.

"What is your position in the student government?" The smaller man asked with madness on his tone.

Jongin playfully grins.

"I'm sorry, but do I need to have one?"

"What the hell?!" Baekhyun raises his right hand to hit the man in front of him, but was stop by the same person.

"My fellow student, let's look on the brighter side here. Are you still crying? No? Good. Having a heated conversation with me is much better than sitting there looking stupid, am I right? Yes? Better. Let's decide that now is our free time and you'll eat lunch with me, awesome idea? Yes? Best."

Baekhyun doesn't understand what's going on, but again, he's being pulled by someone he just met. He can't deny that the guy quite made some points earlier, so he started to come along. 


 

"I thought we're staying in a hidden place so no one like you would caught us." Baekhyun started to become confused when he realized where they are. The cafeteria is not considered as a safe place for students who are cutting classes because anyone might pass by.

"Are you deaf, my fellow student? We're having lunch."

"Stop calling me 'my fellow student', will you?" Since it seems like Jongin has plans of teasing him, he diverts his attention to the meals being served at the cafeteria.

Jong brashly smiles.

 

"Okay." 
"So, Byun Baekhyun, what do you want for lunch?"
 

•••••

E n d  o f  t h e  c h a p t e r