two.

Over The Edge

Im Yoona


My parents are dead.

That is the first thing that comes to my mind as I regain my consciousness. I do not even know why that crosses my mind with absolute certainty. My parents are dead. I feel slightly confused because I do not know how I know that. Not only are they dead, they were also murdered. This thought runs inside my head without even a doubt and it upsets me greatly because I do not remember how I know that. I just do, for some reason.

Although my head does not remember a single thing, it is like my heart just knows. Do you know one of those moments when you do not have proof of anything but your instincts are screaming at you to believe something that is totally ludicrous? Well, that is what I am feeling right at this moment. Do not ask me how I know about my parents’ death. I just simply do.

It is then I catch sight of the man right in front of my face who is peering at me with no expression on his face. I try to search my memory to see if I could recognise him but I come up with nothing. I look at him, feeling slightly alarmed. I blink. Then, I blink again. This is really puzzling. I wish desperately that I could remember something. It is like my head is an empty vessel. “Who are you?” I inquire softly, trying to decide if he poses a threat to me.

The man in front of me blinks in slight surprise at my sudden question. Do I know him? What is my relationship with him? Are we friends or more than that? Panic begins to rise inside of me as I really cannot remember a single thing at all about this man in front of me. I look around me and see myself in a hospital gown inside a hospital room. I try to look for a potential weapon to use if he ever tries to do anything awful to me and catch sight of the lamp on the bedside table. My hand itches to grab it but I hold myself back. Not yet. I may not be able to remember anything but for some reason, I know that I have a chance to win if this man decides to strike.

“You really don’t recognise me?” the man replies cautiously as his eyes widen with mixed emotions. I see surprise and disbelief inside his eyes. I know that this man is not used to expressing his feelings but for some reason, I can read him easily. It is almost like I have been trained to do it.

I study his face for a few moments, trying my best to remember this beautiful-looking man right in front of me. I stare into his eyes for such a long time, wanting to remember, forcing myself to remember, but all my efforts are fruitless. I still come up with nothing. Feeling slightly upset with myself, I shake my head which is now starting to hurt.

“Yoona,” he calls out my name.

Im Yoona. That is my name. I know it is. I am Im Yoona, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Im who have been murdered. They were killed when I was only six years old. The police concluded their death as suicide. Suicide. Somehow, I know that their death is not because of suicide. It cannot be. My heart is telling me that it is a murder. Wow. I actually remember all of that? So why am I unable to remember the man in front of me?

“Yoona.” His soft voice snaps me out of my thoughts. My thoughts are racing inside my head and I can barely even stop it. Not now. I need to focus on the present. I do not even know if this man can be trusted. I do not know if he is even on my side. If this man hurts me, I will not hesitate to defend myself. It is for the sake of my own survival. I need to know what happened to my parents. At least, before I die. I have to sate my vengeance. I need to avenge my parents’ death. There is no way I will let their murderer get away with it.

I search my brain for more information but my head is currently foggy right now. The memories of my parents are within reach but I am not able to attain it. Maybe it is because my head is pounding and I can barely concentrate. Oh God, please let this pain end.

“Lu Yoona,” the man raises his voice slightly, trying to get my attention. I turn to look at him with confusion swirling inside my eyes. Lu Yoona? What the hell is going on? Why is this man calling me by a different surname? I cannot get my head wrapped around this fact. I can barely think. My head has started to pound even worse and I just feel really panicked because I cannot remember anything at all. Everything is just a mess and I want the world to stop spinning. It is like my reality has been turned upside down and I cannot keep it together.

“Who are you?” I whisper hoarsely again as I glare at him. Just answer my question, I badly want to scream. I need answers now. I do not think I can survive a second longer being in the unknown.

The man lets out a small sigh as if he has come to accept that I really do not remember him. He looks slightly disappointed for some reason. Who is he to me? Does he play a vital role in my life? What is my relationship with him?

“I’m your husband, Yoona,” the man mumbles in a barely audible voice, as if he has heard my thoughts. I look at him in surprise. You have got to be kidding me. There is no way I would not remember my own husband. How could this even be possible? No, this is a joke, right? “I’m Lu Han, your husband.”

Recognition still does not fill me as I look at him. I turn my head away, trying my hardest to just remember. How could I not recognise my own husband? This man must have been the love of my life. I must have loved him to the core that I actually married him. I feel like . How could I not remember someone who meant a lot to me? I close my eyes as my head starts to ache even more. I cannot do this. I really cannot think right at this moment.

“I’ll call the doctor to check on you, Yoona,” he tells me in a gentle tone before he proceeds to walk towards the exit. It seems like he knows what my exact feelings are. It is like he knows that I need some space and time to myself. Well, of course, he knows. He probably has my habits etched inside his mind. Is that why I was able to see the feelings in his eyes easily? Because we are married and I have come to memorise his actions?

“Wait,” I croak out. There is still one thing that I need to know in order to ease the confusion in my mind. I have to do this. This will help me calm down slightly. My alleged husband stops in his tracks and looks at me questioningly. “Where are my parents?” I ask before I have the chance to change my mind.

Lu Han blinks in surprise as if he does not expect me to ask that. I know then that it is very rare for him to feel taken aback. “Yoona, your parents…” he trails off as his eyes begin to show that his mind is thinking of something else. “They’re dead,” he confirms my thoughts, keeping his voice controlled, probably not wanting to upset me.

I let out a small sigh. I nod, indicating that I am fine. Well, at least, I know that I am not crazy to think that way as soon as I woke up. At least I know that my suspicions are true. My parents are dead. “Call the doctor now please,” I request politely. He looks at me for a few seconds with unreadable eyes this time around before slowly leaving the hospital room. I do not know what exactly he is feeling right now. Pity, maybe?

I look at the wall opposite of me. Today, I woke up and I remember absolutely nothing at all. I do not even know how I end up in this state with a bandage around my head. I do not remember getting married to that man earlier. I do not even know what is going on right at this moment.

However, there is one thing that I am absolutely sure of.

My name is Im Yoona. My parents are dead. They were murdered in cold blood. Their murderer is still out there scot-free. I am going to make sure that he pays for his crime by hook or by crook. I will ensure that he will suffer for what he has done to me. He took away my source of comfort, solace and warmth. My only family, seeing that I am their only child.

What have my parents ever done to be killed? Why did the police say that it was a suicide? The police investigations must have not been conducted properly.

Whatever it is, the killer should watch his back because I am coming for him.