Coming of Age

A Tale of Two Kings

Chapter 2: Coming of Age

Mt. Mi-yang, Year 132

 

    Jungkook was now 18 years old, a tall handsome young man with a sturdy physique. After his mother and sister's departure in the year 124, his father sent him to study under the Buddhists of Mt. Mi-yang. His father had wanted him to be away from the village and to learn from the best. Despite the tragedies in his life, he managed to excel in both his studies and martial arts, eventually becoming a fine warrior as well as scholar. He had been separated from his family for 8 years and his heart still clung to them, even as he tried to distance himself from the painful memories.

 

One evening, Jungkook was called to meet with Jaesung, the chief Buddhist of the temple.

 

JUNGKOOK:

Master, I am here.

 

JAESUNG, CHIEF BUDDHIST:

Ah, Jungkook. I remember the day you arrived, clinging onto your father so tightly. You were a much different boy back then. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

Yes, it was a time of tragedy. I did not know how to cope with the emotions.

 

JAESUNG:

Yes, but you developed so well.

 

JUNGKOOK:

I tried to, Master.

 

JAESUNG:

You have progressed finely, young man. Your technique is by far the most brilliant I have ever witnessed, and your wisdom is not beneath even the top teachers of this temple. You are a special child, indeed.

 

JUNGKOOK:

Please, Master. You are too kind.

 

JAESUNG:

Come, follow me.

 

    The bearded old man led Jungkook through the temple and near the entrance into the guest hall. He opened the large doors to reveal a young gentleman.

 

JAESUNG:

Jungkook, this man here is known as Park Chanyeol. He is a royal adviser to the King of Silla. 

 

CHANYEOL:

Hello, Jungkook. A pleasure to meet you.

 

JUNGKOOK:

The pleasure is mine. 

 

JAESUNG:

Jungkook, it is time you leave this place behind. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

Leave?

 

JAESUNG:

Your father placed you here in hopes that you would become a fine scholar. I am certain you have surpassed his expectations. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

Well, I knew I’d leave someday, but so soon?

 

JAESUNG:

Your father wanted you to move up the social ladder and I have provided you with the necessary skills to do so, an educated mind and the body of a warrior. Your first step towards success in this life is to undertake this mission from this young man here. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

I see...what is this mission you speak of?

 

CHANYEOL:

The King of Silla is currently staying at his palace at Pyongjin, while his son, the prince, is currently in Seongyang. Your mission is to select some of your monk warriors to the boy safely to his father, that is all.

 

JUNGKOOK:

(He thought it was some joke)

You want me to climb the social hierarchy by…babysitting little kids?

 

JAESUNG:

Fool! This opportunity is not just given to anybody! The reputation of the monks of Mi-yang have built as fearless warriors have allowed you this chance to prove your skill to the King, do not underestimate this mission’s importance!

 

    Jungkook bowed to Park Chanyeol and the two made way to Seongyang.

 

    His first major mission was to the King, Kim Tae-il's son to meet his father at Pyongjin, the capitol of Silla. Jungkook and Chanyeol, along with some 50 handpicked monks greeted the prince.

 

CHANYEOL:

It is an honor to serve you.

 

    Chanyeol bowed to the prince. When the prince appeared, Jungkook could not believe his eyes. The prince looked to be five years old! Not just that, but that damn King had to be at least seventy by now, and he had a kid at that age! Nonetheless, Jungkook and his warriors bowed and assisted the child onto the carriage and were soon off.   

 

KIM JI-YU, PRINCE:

(Opening the window of the carriage door)

Hey! You! What is your name?

 

    The boy asked of Jungkook, who was riding his horse next to the carriage. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

(He chuckled)

My name is not worthy of your holy ears, pardon me, young master.

 

KIM JI-YU:

I want to know your name!

 

JUNGKOOK:

I am known as Jungkook, but kids used to call me Kookie growing up. I guess you can call me that.

 

KIM YI-JU:

(The prince laughed. He then said, in a playful child’s voice,)

Kookie, Kookie, Kookie!

 

    Jungkook managed to do something he had almost forgotten how to do, laugh. The tragic events that occurred in his life and the hard work he had to put in at the temple had turned him from a joyful little boy into a stoic young man. The little boy’s cheeriness was a nice change. However, he could not help but think that it was this boy's father who had ruined his life, and his feelings toward the King did not change. 

 

    Hours later, as the sky became darker, the group had finally arrived. Two nobles of the King’s court came to the boy into the main hall, where his father had held a banquet for him. Chanyeol followed, but Jungkook and his men, being outsiders, were not permitted to enter. Chanyeol instructed them to wait for his return.

 

KING OF SILLA, KIM TAE-IL:

(His arms were wide open.)

My boy! How I have missed you so!

 

KIM JI-YU:

Father!

 

    The boy hugged his father. He then ran to give his mother a hug and returned to his father’s lap.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Everyone, everyone! Listen up, my boy has returned!

 

    Cheers erupted the room as they congratulated him and his safe travels.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Life is good! I have beautiful women by side, riches all around me, and power beyond my dreams! How could I have been more blessed in this life? 

 

    He laughed loudly, and soon the court attendants joined.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

(Turning his attention to his son)

My boy, how was your trip?

 

KIM JI-YU:

It was great, I met an awesome person.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Really? And who is this person? A servant, a friend...or maybe a girl?

 

KIM JI-YU:

No! It was a soldier, a fierce looking warrior!

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

(He laughed once again)

Of course! Everyone one of my soldiers is fierce!

 

    The generals in the room clapped as they heard their master's praise. Everyone lowered their voices to hear little Kim Ji-yu speak.

 

KIM JI-YU:

No, father. He was a really strong and powerful man, a hero!

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

A hero, eh? Guards, go find me this man.

 

KIM JI-YU:

He is a tall man and he rode a beautiful horse!

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

You have much praise for him son, I am eager to meet this young man.

 

CHANYEOL:

(He rose from his seat,)

Your highness, if I may, allow me to go fetch this person. I believe I may know who this person is.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL: 

Very well.

 

    Chanyeol disappeared, returning later with a man by his side. It was Jungkook. He was still dressed in his full armor, with his helmet on and all. All the women and courtesans looked at him with affection as the guys eyed him with jealousy. He was tall and dignified, representing everything a true man stood for. It was clear why the little boy had seen such importance in him despite his lowly status. The court hall was silent. He walked through the hall with the utmost confidence.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Is this the guy? This must be the man, I sense fire in his eyes.

 

KIM JI-YU:

Yes! That is him.

 

JUNGKOOK:

Greetings, Your Highness. It is my pleasure to meet you.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Please, no formalities. This is merely a banquet, take off your helmet and tell me your name.

 

    He took off his helmet and revealed his dark hair. His presence was felt by everyone in the room. All eyes were on him, especially the women.

 

JUNGKOOK:

As I have already told the young master, my name is not worthy of the ears of a Lord like you.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Young man, I said no formalities. See me as your host, not your Lord.

 

JUNGKOOK:

Very well then, if you insist. I originally hail from the Kingdom of Gaya, and my name is Jung-

 

    He was interrupted mid-sentence when his eyes spotted someone. A beautiful woman sitting beside the King, a woman with dark silky hair and a face unmatched by no one. She was the wife of the King and the mother of the boy. 

 

    She was HIS mother. She was the same mother who had left him 8 years ago and she was still just as beautiful. She had heard him say that he was from the village of Jung and she stared at him intently.

 

JI-HEE, JUNGKOOK’S MOTHER:

You...you are from Jung?

 

    Jungkook was shocked. Tears rolled down his cheek without him even noticing. He tried  looking closer, taking a few steps forward.

 

JUNGKOOK:

(Trembling)

Mother, is that you?

 

    Her eyes widened, this was her little Kookie, all grown up and handsome now. There was no denying it. He was big and strong like his father, with the same eyes. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

Mother, it is I, Jungkook.

 

    Everyone in the court house was confused, including the King.

 

JUNGKOOK:

It’s me! Your little Kookie, son of Jung-il. Do you not remember?

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Fool! How dare you speak to my wife this way!

 

    Guards came to grab him, but his superior strength allowed him to hold his ground.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Queen Miyoung, do you know this boy?

 

    "Miyoung?" Who the hell was Miyoung? His mother was named Ji-hee. Was he mistaken? 

No, there was no mistaking it, this was HIS mother. Jungkook thought that the King must have had her change her name in order to erase all of her connections to the Gaya kingdom. Jungkook was struggling to maintain his stance as the guards were pulling him down. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

Mother, you know that it is me, don’t you?

 

QUEEN MIYOUNG (JI-HEE):

I know of no one by the name Jungkook, I...I do not know him.

 

    With these words a tear fell down her eye. She covered her face in her lap to hide her cries. 

 

QUEEN MIYOUNG (JI-HEE):

(She thought to herself,)

My Kookie, how big you have grown. I apologize for everything, but fate has separated us. I am sorry I could not be there for you. You must envy those children who have mothers by their side, I am sorry. 

 

    Her cries continued. A guard used the end of a sword to hit Jungkook on the head, effectively knocking him out. 

 

    Jungkook woke up locked in a bamboo cage guarded by four soldiers. He was outside the palace now. It was dark and the palace was being lit by candlelight. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

(Thinking to himself,)

Mother, I am unworthy. You have failed to recognize me...

I vow from this day forth to become a warrior so great, even the gods will bow down to me.

 

    Out of pure anger, he threw a punch with so much power that it pierced through the unstable bamboo cage easily. He grabbed a spear and made his way out. The guards saw his break out and charged at him with swords. With one swipe, all four guards fell to the ground. More and more guards appeared as they heard the shouts of fighting. Before he knew it, Jungkook was surrounded by at least a hundred men. He would not surrender and fought his way out, or at least he tried. He managed to create such a stir that the King, who was still hosting his banquet, came out to witness the spectacle with his entire entourage behind him. After watching for a while, he finally spoke up.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Stop!

 

    The guards surrounded Jungkook, who was now covered in blood, both his own and of those he killed. He had a spear in each hand, waiting for any foolish enough to attack. He was not ready to die. 

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

This is a crazy and stupid kid, I mean he thought my wife was his mother! However, this kid is skilled, highly skilled in fact. Clean him up and send him to the guest hall.

 

    Jungkook dropped his spears and collapsed. The guards grabbed each of his arm and dragged him off. 

 

    The following morning, Jungkook woke up once again from passing out, but this time he was laying on a magnificent golden bed. He was dressed in magnificent attire, clothing any king in the realm would envy. The king entered his room.

 

JUNGKOOK: 

Why am I here?

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

I cannot have you dead, young man. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

Why? What could I possibly offer you?

 

KING TAE-IL:

You know, (he walked around the room, holding a cup of soju in his hand) I surround myself with hwarang warriors. These young men have been training their bodies to become warriors since the tender age of five. Each and every one of them are elite warriors. Now tell me, from the scramble last night, why are fifty of my finest hwarang warriors buried beneath the earth, and yet you are still here living and breathing?

 

JUNGKOOK:

They may be elite, but they lack hunger. Last night, they did not thirst for my blood. They were willing to die, but not me, I would fight until my body failed me. 

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

(He clapped loudly, applauding Jungkook)

This is what I like! You are a diamond in the rubble! A man like you is who the people of Silla need!

 

JUNGKOOK:

What the hell are you talking about?

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

In the coming years, I will attack the Baekje kingdom. However, my generals, though intelligent and wise, lack the motivation to conquer and destroy. But you, you are a different animal. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

You want me to help you fight a war?

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Precisely. As much as I hate to admit, I do not have many years on this earth. Soon, I will have to hand over the throne to my son, Kim Ji-yu. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

What?! Do you not have other sons? He is a child!

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

My other children are more fond of money and women than war.

 

JUNGKOOK:

(Thought to himself)

I wonder who they got that from?

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Kim Ji-yu has taken a liking to you. I want you to guide him, to assist him as his adviser and help him become a great king.

 

JUNGKOOK:

Surely, you have more qualified men than me.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Yes, that is what I thought. I have four sons older than Kim Ji-yu, all of them were privately tutored by the most brilliant men in the kingdom of Silla. How did they turn out? Drunkards who gamble away my fortune! No matter the training you receive, if you lack ambition than you will never amount to nothing. That is what I have learned in my seventy years of life. I want you to provide my child with that ambition, seeing as he looks up to you so faithfully. 

 

    Jungkook was hesitant to believe the words of the King, but the offer was enticing. This could be the next stepping stone for future advancement. However, this man was still the same man who had destroyed his life. 

 

JUNGKOOK:

Thank you for the offer, but I decline. I have no interest in being your slave.

 

    Typically, such a response to the King would result in harsh punishment, even death.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL: 

(He gave Jungkook a big smile)

Very well. I respect your decision. However, is there anything I can do to make you stay?

 

    He seemed too confident. Jungkook felt as though the King was up to something. Something sinister. However, this was the opportunity of a lifetime. 

 

 JUNGKOOK:

Make me a general. And give me my weight in gold, tenfold. Then, I will serve you.

 

    The king laughed and gave Jungkook a sly smile.

 

KING KIM TAE-IL:

Done.