A Delayed Journey

A Tale of Two Kings

Chapter 8: A Delayed Journey

Year 124, Village of Mukhyun

 

    A notice appeared at the front of the innkeeper’s door. It had been five months since Taehyung had arrived in Mukhyun and one month since Jisoo left his side. The notice read:

 

To the owner of this inn. 

We understand that you have two sons in this household. According to law, you are required to enlist one into the military as per the orders of the King. You have two weeks to enlist. 

General Jinhwan

 

    The innkeeper was devastated. She did not want neither Taehyung nor Ho-seok to enter the military. For peasants, it almost meant certain death. Taehyung immediately volunteered.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Do not worry. It is because of me that you were given this notice. If I had not come here, you would only have one son and thus this never would have happened. Allow me to serve in your name.

 

INNKEEPER:

No! I will not allow you to march to your death!

 

HO-SEOK:

Actually, mother…I have been planning to enlist for a few years now. I think I should go.

 

INNKEEPER:

My boy! No, I will not allow it.

 

HO-SEOK:

No, it is fine. With Taehyung here, I don’t have to worry about who will care for you when I am gone. This works perfectly.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Are you sure? Or are you just doing this to save me?

 

HO-SEOK:

(He laughed.)

Are you kidding me? To fight and win glory has been a dream of mine for a long time. Do not worry, I thank you for being here and allowing me to do this. 

 

    Not long after, Ho-seok had packed his bags and made his way to the barracks. The innkeeper grieved for three nights and three days as if he had already been killed in action. This also changed Taehyung’s plans. Now that Ho-seok had left, and he was now in charge of assisting the innkeeper, now he could not go to Pyongjin to meet up with Jisoo. 

 

Four Years Later

Year 128

 

    The funeral had just finished. The people were returning home and Taehyung was the last one remaining. He stood quietly atop the hill where the innkeeper was buried. His eyes filled with tears as he thought of the night he had arrived at her doorsteps. She accepted him into her family without hesitation and with the kindness only possessed by angels. As night came, he finally head down to the now empty inn. A knock on the door surprised him and he opened it. 

 

MESSENGER:

I bring news from Captain Ho-seok. 

 

TAEHYUNG:

Quickly, tell me.

 

    Ho-seok had become a Captain in only four years. He was only 20 years old, but he possessed the fighting ability of a hardened warrior. He was known for his brilliant mind in war. When he heard of the death of his mother, he had sent a messenger as quickly as he could. The only reason he could not make it himself was because he was currently on a mission to the North fighting some bandits. 

 

MESSENGER: 

Ho-seok has sold the inn. He has given you permission to leave and live your life. He has given you this.

 

    The messenger handed him a brown linen bag the size o a helmet. In it was pure gold and silver. 

 

MESSENGER:

This is some of the money Ho-seok was awarded in his battles. He has given it to you as a thanks for being with his mother.

 

TAEHYUNG:

I cannot take this. This is his money.

 

MESSENGER:

He insists you take it. 

 

TAEHYUNG:

Very well. I will take only what is necessary.

 

    He took two bars of gold and two bars of silver. The rest, he gave to some local contractors to build better homes for the villagers. They accepted the money with no hesitation. 

 

    Taehyung had one destination: Pyongjin.