The Girl in the Pink Hanbok

A Tale of Two Kings

Chapter 5: The Girl with the Pink Hanbok

Year 124

    

    After a long night of running, Taehyung arrived in a small town called Mukhyun. He collapsed from the extreme exhaustion of running all night and day. A innkeeper, a kind elderly woman, carried him inside her inn and placed him on a bed. She allowed him to come to and spoke to him in a sweet tender voice.

 

INNKEEPER:

Young man, why are you here? Why were you running so hard?

 

TAEHYUNG:

Where am I?

 

INNKEEPER:

You are in Mukhyun.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Which province is this? 

 

INNKEEPER:

Haekyun. 

 

TAEHYUNG:

What?! You mean, I am in the Silla Kingdom?

 

INNKEEPER:

That’s right. Where are you from?

 

TAEHYUNG:

Baekje.

 

INNKEEPER:

(She laughed.)

You’re silly. Mukhyun is right on the border. We have guests from both kingdoms all the time, no worries. 

 

    Taehyung looked around the room. It was clear that she had given him great hospitality.

 

INNKEEPER:

So, why were you running about during the night like this? Don’t you know it’s the monsoon season? The rains could have easily given you a cold.

 

TAEHYUNG:

I...ran away from home.

 

INNKEEPER:

I see. As a mother, I am extremely worried for your parents, but as your host, I won’t barge into your affairs.

 

TAEHYUNG: 

No, it’s not like that. You see, my parents are dead. 

 

INNKEEPER: 

Oh, I am so sorry. 

 

TAEHYUNG:

Anyways, thank you for your hospitality. I could never thank you enough. Please, allow me to do some chores to repay my stay. Unfortunately, I have no money. 

 

INNKEEPER:

Don’t you worry about that. Just rest up and stay healthy. What is your name by the way?

 

TAEHYUNG:

I am Taehyung. 

 

INNKEEPER: 

What a fitting name for such a handsome young man like you. You can call my Aunty if you’d like. Ho-seok! Get in here!

 

    A young man appeared. He was similiar in age to Taehyung, but he was a bit taller and lengthier. 

 

INNKEEPER:

This is my son, Ho-seok.

 

HO-SEOK:

Hello, nice to meet you!

 

TAEHYUNG:

Nice to meet you as well. 

 

    Taehyung smiled. He felt a little bundle of warmth inside his heart. He could sense that this was a nice family.

 

INNKEEPER:

So, I assume you don’t have any clothes for tomorrow?

 

TAEHYUNG:

Oh, I am so sorry for my soaking clothes.

 

INNKEEPER:

Oh no, that is not what I mean. Tomorrow is our monsoon festival, it is the only day that is supposed to be nice all season. Everyone will be wearing their finest clothes, I would like for you to attend. 

 

TAEHYUNG:

I apologize, but I did not bring anything of quality. In fact, the clothes on my back are all I have.

 

INNKEEPER:

Don’t worry. Ho-seok here has many outfits to share. I’ll pick one out for you tomorrow.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Very well, if you insist, I will attend the monsoon festival with you and Ho-seok.

 

INNKEEPER:

Sleep well and be prepared for tomorrow. Even a handsome man like you needs your beauty rest.

 

    Taehyung slept on the small bed at the inn. He was comfortable, but he was unable to sleep for his mind was on his father. Somehow, he managed to get some sleep before the festival.

 

INNKEEPER:

Alright, young man. Time to wake up!

 

    Taehyung saw the elderly woman with a large bucket of water and a beautiful hanbok by her side.

 

INNKEEPER:

Use this bucket to wash your face and put this on.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Thank you.

 

    He quickly cleaned off his face and tied his hair into a knot and took off his old clothes. He wore the hanbok and surprisingly it fit perfectly. The innkeeper returned.

 

INNKEEPER:

Wow, you look just as handsome as my Ho-seok. You are going to have your hands full today. (She said with a giggle)

 

TAEHYUNG:

What do you mean?

 

INNKEEPER:

I would not be surprised if parents offered their daughter's hand in marriage to you. I mean, men of your kind are a rarity around here.

 

TAEHYUNG:

(He laughed)

Yeah, until they find out I am dirt poor.

 

INNKEEPER:

(She smiled)

At least put on a good show and have some fun.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Alright, I will try. By the way, where is Ho-seok?

 

INNKEEPER: 

Oh, that boy has been gone for a while now. He’s really enjoying himself today!

 

    Taehyung waited for the old lady to finish putting on her own clothing and accompanied her outside, where there were decorations and kites flying throughout the village. Music was playing everywhere and kids ran around town with their friends. The village took on a whole different look as everyone came out to enjoy the festivities. The sky was clear and the sun was out, unusual for the monsoon season and it had come out on the perfect day.

 

INNKEEPER:

Alright, young man. You do not have to stick around an old lady like me, go on and enjoy yourself.

 

    She said as she walked towards her group of friends who were also elderly. Taehyung walked through the festivities alone. As much as he tried to enjoy the fun, there was nothing he could celebrate. The death of his father? The beginnings of a new chapter? As if. His heart was not there.

 

YOUNG LADY:

You are not from this village, are you?

 

TAEHYUNG:

(He looked at the young woman who had snuck up on him.)

I am not. 

 

YOUNG LADY:

I thought so.

(She started grinning.)

So...why are you here? Looking for a wife to bring home?

 

TAEHYUNG:

(Gave her a confused expression.)

...

 

YOUNG LADY:

You know, you are really good-looking.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Thanks.

 

YOUNG LADY:

Why don't you come meet my friends, they are really pretty and would make great wives!

 

TAEHYUNG:

I am sorry, but I really have to get going. Thanks for the offer, though.

 

    He left the girl and continued walking through the crowded streets. Having spent most of his childhood alone with his mute father, Taehyung was unable to practice and develop his social skills, especially when it came to women. 

 

    His entire day was spent boring himself. Everyone around him was smiling and talking to one another in a cheerful manner, while he almost could not stand it. If it were not for the innkeeper, whom he planned on repaying for her kindness towards him, he’d already be far away from this town. 

 

    Darkness slowly crept upon the village, but the candlelights and torches kept the city alive and the people acted as if the day was still new. 

 

    Taehyung had grown hungry from all his walking. The sweet aroma of a vendor selling hot rice cakes caught his attention. Before he knew it, a tray of rice cakes was in front of him as he sat down on a table. He never had a lot to eat growing up, but he had an enormous apetite. His father always had a hard time finding enough food for him. 

 

    As he stuffed his face, he continued watching the crowd. His sharp eyes checking everyone out. Walking alone was a young woman wear a gorgeous pink hanbok. She held an umbrella that rested on her left shoulder as she strolled the streets, eyeing out the vendors. As beautiful as her hanbok was, it could not compare to the perfection that was her face. Features that the heavens could have only formed with the utmost care and attention. She was young, perhaps around his age, and for a brief moment, trapped in her presence, he had forgotten about his father’s death. As if with a mind of their own, his legs moved on their own towards her. 

 

TAEHYUNG:

Hello, are you alone?

 

YOUNG WOMAN:

(A bit shocked.)

Ah, yes.

 

TAEHYUNG:

(He bowed.)

Hello, it is nice to meet you.

 

YOUNG WOMAN:

(She bowed in reply.)

Yes, it is very nice to meet you as well.

 

TAEHYUNG:

I spotted you from back there, and I just...wanted to let you know that you are very beautiful.

 

YOUNG WOMAN:

(She smiled and blushed, revealing her perfect white teeth.)

You are very charming yourself. I like your hanbok.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Ah...yes. It is not mine though, it was given to me.

 

YOUNG WOMAN:

But it suits you, it is very masculine. Perfect outfit to go with that deep voice of yours.

 

TAEHYUNG:

(His ears were becoming as red as tomatoes.)

You think so? Thank you very much.

 

YOUNG WOMAN:

(She smiled again.)

 

TAEHYUNG:

(He pointed at the rice cake vendor)

Anyways, would you like some rice cakes?

 

YOUNG WOMAN:

Sure.

 

    Taehyung and the lady walked over to sit at the same table where he spotted her and ordered some rice cakes. He was tall compared to the other men and stood above them, and the lady was of average height and followed closely behind. The more he looked at her the more his heart went crazy, she was the most gorgeous being he had seen.

 

TAEHYUNG:

So, how old are you?

 

YOUNG LADY:

I am 14.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Really? The same as me.

 

YOUNG LADY:

(She was surprised.)

You are 14? You seem much older. You are very mature, at least compared to other boys.

 

TAEHYUNG:

(He laughed and blushed at the same time.)

Well, I have my father to thank for that. You are also very mature, but I guess girls seem to mature faster than boys anyways.

 

YOUNG LADY:

(She laughed.)

Yes, I believe so as well.

 

    The two of them sat together almost awkwardly waiting for their food to arrive. Taehyung was still nervous, but he tried to play it off as if he was a natural. The young lady was much more comfortable, and sensing Taehyung's nervousness, tried to erase the uneasiness he was feeling with some small talk.

 

YOUNG LADY:

So, are you from around here?

 

TAEHYUNG:

I am actually just visiting, I am from further west. What about you?

 

YOUNG LADY:

I am from the Gaya Kingdom.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Really, what are you doing here?

 

YOUNG LADY:

(She was hesitant to reply.)

...well, I guess you could say I kind of ran away from home.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Really? Was your family—

 

YOUNG LADY:

(She interrupted him.)

No, it was not my family. It was...other circumstances.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Oh, I see. Well, I hope things work out for you. 

 

YOUNG LADY:

Thanks.

 

    The food arrived, interrupting their conversation. The two continued small talking over their meal, with their feelings developing for one another. When they finished, they walked back out to the streets.

 

TAEHYUNG:

So, are you staying in this village or are you leaving? I would very much like to see you again.

 

YOUNG LADY:

Yes, I would like that very much. Actually, I am currently living with a merchant family and they move around quite frequently, but I believe they are going to be staying here for a few months. 

 

TAEHYUNG:

I see. Well, I will be staying at the inn here for a while as well. I hope to get to know you better during our time here.

 

YOUNG LADY:

Yes, I feel the same. By the way, what is your name?

 

TAEHYUNG:

I am Taehyung. And you?

 

JISOO:

I am Jisoo

 

TAEHYUNG:

A beautiful name befitting a beautiful maiden such as yourself.

 

    She giggled at his unusually noble language, uncommon for a peasant. With that, they parted ways with the feeling of a romantic fire igniting in their hearts. Taehyung felt that he had enough of this festival an decided to search for the innkeeper. However, as he stepped foot outside for a second time, a hand grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him back in.

 

VENDOR:

You gonna pay for that?

 

TAEHYUNG:

Oh, I’m sorry. I have no money. But, I promise to work it off.

 

    The vendor rolled his eyes but allowed Taehyung to wait tables to pay off his debt. After a few hours, he left to search for the innkeeper.

 

TAEHYUNG:

Sorry for interrupting, Aunty, but I think I will head back to the inn now.

 

    The innkeeper was still enjoying her time with her friends.

 

INNKEEPER:

Go ahead. I will be back shortly.

 

    Taehyung returned to the inn and laid on his bed. Laying on his bed, he did not think of the horrible death his father suffered, instead he thought of the beautiful girl in the pink hanbok he had just met. That night, he slept peacefully.