An Arranged Marriage

A Tale of Two Kings

PART I: Jungkook

Chapter 1: An Arranged Marriage

Year 124, Village of Hong-do of Gaya.

*The names of cities and provinces are fictional

 

    Jungkook was the son of Jung-il, a farmer in a small village on the edge of the Kingdom of Gaya. Peasants, like him and his family, were not allowed to have surnames because of the risk of rebellion—surnames created clans, and clans created armies, dangerous for the king who ruled over his people—therefore he was simply known by his first name. 

 

    Jungkook was a very bright child, with his intelligence only being matched by his physical prowess. He was born with unbelievable endurance, capable of running days without stopping and being able to hunt for weeks at a time. He seemed to have hit the biological lottery, possessing the strength of ten men. He was also a stubborn boy who wanted to be victorious in everything he did. The village he lived in had very few people, with a few aging couples and elders dominating the population. He was among the youngest children of the village. A boy similar in his age known as Jimin was his best friend, and together would spend their hours play fighting and shooting bow and arrows. 

 

    When Jungkook was ten years old, during the monsoon season, his older sister by four years, Jisoo, ran away from home. He followed. Even though he had a keen eye, it was difficult to follow her footsteps, as the rain had nearly washed them away.

 

JUNGKOOK:

Jisoo! Wait up! Where are you going?

 

JISOO:

Jungkook! How long have you been following me? Go home now!

 

JUNGKOOK:

I have just caught up with you, where are you going?

 

JISOO:

Jungkook, I’m…

You are too young to understand. 

 

JUNGKOOK: 

Jisoo, you must tell me.

 

    The rain had come down especially hard that night, completely soaking Jungkook and his sister. The sky was pitch dark, with only the moon providing any kind of illumination. However, the signs of tragedy and pain were clear as day.

 

JISOO:

(She knelt down and buried her face to her lap)

Jungkook...

 

JUNGKOOK:

Why are you doing this?

 

JISOO:

Something very bad will happen to me if I stay. Jungkook, if you love me, do not follow me anymore. I love you.

(She kissed him on the forehead and took off)

 

    Jungkook, though young, realized that he had just lost his sister. He fell down and collapsed.

 

    The following morning his parents found him, passed out on the ground, as the rain continued to fall down heavily. 

 

JUNG-IL, JUNGKOOK'S FATHER:

Jungkook, what are you doing here? Where is Jisoo?

 

    Jung-il looked around, searching for any sign of his daughter. However, Jungkook’s mother, Ji-hee, was silent.

 

JUNG-IL:

The rain has washed away her prints. It will be difficult to find her.

 

JI-HEE, JUNGKOOK'S MOTHER:

Jung-il, enough. She is gone.

 

    Jung-il fell to his knees, with tears rolling down his cheeks. His heart was filled with sadness and grief over his daughter, knowing he would never see her again. 

 

JUNG-IL:

I knew it...

 

JI-HEE:

It is alright, I will go.

 

JUNG-IL:

(Eyes widen)

What? 

(He stood up and held Ji-hee by her shoulders)

Ji-hee, you can’t be serious.

 

JI-HEE:

Of course I am. You and I both know what will happen if I do not go.

 

JUNG-IL:

Yes, but...(He had no response.)

 

JI-HEE:

Jung-il, our time is done. Take care of our Jungkook, please.

 

JUNG-IL: 

(With tears in his eyes)

There must be another way...you must stay.

 

JI-HEE: 

Jung-il, you are being selfish. I am but one person, my sacrifice will protect the entire village. Remember, no matter the distance apart, I will always love you.

 

JUNG-IL:

(With his heart completely broken,)

Go. The longer you linger, the deeper the scar will become. Go and never turn back. From this day forth, our bond is...shattered. 

 

JI-HEE:

(She walked over to Jungkook, who had just regained consciousness. Though she tried to stay strong, tears rolled down her cheek as if by their own will)

My little Jungkook, your mother must leave you.

 

JUNGKOOK:

(Not quite fully conscious yet,)

What?

 

JI-HEE:

(She said with a trembling voice)

I have guided you this far, now it is up to the laws of nature to nurture you. Promise me you will take care of yourself.

 

JUNGKOOK:

(Sensing her departure)

No! Don't tell me you are leaving too, like Jisoo?

 

JI-HEE:

One day when you are older, you will understand. Grow up and become a powerful man so no one can ever take away your family again. 

 

JUNG-IL:

Come, Jungkook.

 

    The young boy, still crying, followed his father back as they returned back to the village. His mother, instead, went to the chief of the village to offer herself. She was only 32 years of age and still as beautiful as she had ever been. She had hair as dark as the night sky, a trait Jungkook had inherited.

 

    The kingdom of Gaya had a terrible tradition. Not one that it created, but one created out of necessity. Though the kingdom of Gaya was small, it was an independent state and did not belong to its closest neighbor, the Silla kingdom. However, because of the strategic military position the kingdom was in, the Silla kingdom wanted to conquer it. In order to keep its independence and not become a vassal to the Silla kingdom, a special alliance was formed. Every five years, a young maiden of the Gaya Kingdom would be made a wife to the King of Silla, Kim Tae-In. This law had been in effect for the past three decades and the King was now in his mid-sixties. It was perfect for the King of Silla because none of his wives had been able to bear him a son. The first tribute from the Gala thirty years ago had given birth to his first son. Thus, this tradition continued. 

 

    Jisoo was chosen to be the next tribute because of her beauty, but she could not bear the idea of being with the filthy King and left. If the King did not receive this tribute, he swore punishment of extreme measures and an end of their alliance, and ultimately the end of the kingdom of Gaya.