nine.

Game of Deception

The look of fear, surprise and disbelief on Sehun’s face is such a sight to see. Jaw dropped, eyes wide and eyebrows raised. This is probably one of his favorite facial expressions on the son of Aphrodite (Sehun’s smile and face make great contenders).

 

“Y-you were a demigod this whole time?!” Sehun gasps as he tries to pull his hand away but Jongin tightens his grip.

 

“I honestly thought you’d find out sooner. I thought you’d at least learn how to sense other demigods. I use my pheromones a lot but you never noticed.”

 

“No way! Let go of me!” Sehun shouts. He tries pushing Jongin away using his other hand but the son of Ares catches it in another tight grip. Sehun tries kneeing him but Jongin was quick to push him against the wall with his hands pinned above his head. Sehun whimpers at the impact.

 

“Oh Sehun, you’re under arrest. It is my mission to take you to Olympus. You better stop struggling because you are no match for me. I’m the best son of Ares on camp. When it comes to physical strength, you don’t even stand a chance.”

 

“And don’t you dare try using your powers on me because we both know that it won’t work.” Jongin adds.

 

Sehun closes his eyes and trembles against his touch, it was probably because Jongin was using his powers on him.

 

When Jongin notices, his gaze softens and he loosens his grip on Sehun’s wrists. “I’m not going to hurt you. I know you have a lot of questions and I am willing to answer them.”

 

Sehun gulps and slowly opens his eyes to meet Jongin’s. “I’m sorry for tricking you, I’ll never do it again but please let me go.” he frowns.

 

Jongin caresses his cheek. “Yeah, you’re gonna have to try harder than that pretty boy.”

 

Sehun’s frown quickly turns into a snarl, much to Jongin’s amusement. “What the do you want with me?!” he scoffs.

 

“I’m just following orders. You’re a wanted criminal so I was sent to take you to Olympus. Your mother is very eager to meet you.”

 

“But… We’ve always covered our tracks.” Sehun shakes his head in disbelief. “H-how?”

 

“We got lucky. Athena’s best son was able to track you down so we took this chance.”

 

Sehun still looked like he couldn’t believe what was happening. “I… I thought I was. Last night, I even…” he bites his lip as he looks down.

 

“I was the one tricking you this whole time, sweetheart.” Jongin smirks. “Last night was fantastic, by the way.”

 

Sehun shoves him back. “Why didn’t you just catch me the moment I first met you? Was it fun toying with me?! I gave everything up last night for my mission but… !” he pulls his hair in frustration.

 

“It was all you though, I meant it when I told you that you can ask me to stop but you told me to continue. You can’t blame this on me. After all, you were the one who seduced me in the first place.”

 

Sehun attempted to punch him out of frustration but Jongin quickly grabs his arm before twisting it against Sehun’s back.

 

“I don’t want to hurt you Sehun, you need to cooperate.” he warns before letting go of Sehun’s arm quickly causing the other to stumble forward.

 

“I promise to give you all the explanations you need but before that, go and take a shower because you still smell like .”

 

Sehun’s face was red. Jongin couldn’t tell if it was due to anger or embarrassment, perhaps both. He glares at him one more time before leaving his room. He quickly follows to check if Sehun was making a run for it but he simply marches to his room.

 

He comes out a minute later carrying a towel and a new set of clothes. He shoves Jongin aside as he made his way to the bathroom.

 

“You know you can’t wash me off of you even if you showered all day.” Jongin teases.

 

Sehun simply flips him off before entering the bathroom. Jongin chuckles. Now that Sehun was no longer pretending, he’ll finally get to see how Sehun is really like and so far he’s loving this new feisty side of Sehun.

 

Sehun steps out of the bathroom a few minutes later, he was drying off his hair with a towel. Jongin was sitting on the couch. He simply pats the empty space next to him. Sehun huffs before slumping on the couch.

 

“Since I want to be fair, you may ask questions but you need to answer my questions too in return.” Jongin starts. Sehun gives him a doubtful look. “I can tell if you’re lying so you better be truthful.” he warns.

 

Sehun contemplates for a bit before asking him a question. “How long have you known that I am Aphrodite’s son?”

 

“Pretty long, you’re quite famous in camp you know? Hermes was ordered to track you for a while now, I was simply ordered to lure you in.”

 

Sehun was about to ask another question but Jongin made a gesture that it was his turn first. “Have you always used your powers to manipulate people?”

 

He was quiet for a bit. “Yes,” he quietly responds. “But it’s not like I do it for fun or just because I can. At first I took advantage of my powers because I needed the money but my…”

 

“Your what?”

 

Sehun avoids eye contact. “It’s my turn to ask. What is this camp that you speak of?”

 

Jongin rolls his eyes. “Camp Olympus is where demigods like you and me are staying at. It is where we’re trained and we are monitored by the gods and goddesses.” he answers.

 

Sehun looked curious but he chose to not ask any more questions. “Now, continue your story earlier. You needed the money for what?”

 

“It’s… Personal.” Sehun grits.

 

“Don’t make things difficult, I can force the answers right out of you once I start using my pheromones on you so I suggest that you answer my questions now to save yourself from the embarrassment.” Jongin threatens.

 

Sehun wanted to punch him but he knew he doesn’t stand a chance so he settled with glaring at the coffee table in front of him.

 

“My father was sick and we needed the money. I was desperate and someone recommended a job to me.”

 

“And that job is to steal from people?”

 

“No! It’s my turn to ask.” Sehun retorts.

 

“You’re not exactly giving me proper details here. Just give it in one go then I’ll answer your questions for you.” Jongin hisses.

 

Sehun purses his lips. “I was a call boy, a e.” he sneers and Jongin’s brows furrowed. “It was the quickest way to earn money but I young and scared. When I had my first customer, I cried and begged him to stop right even before he got started with me and it worked. I thought my job was over but he still paid me. I thought he was just nice but when the same thing happened to the next customers, I knew something was different. I always got what I wanted with just a few words. When my father found out he told me about my mom and made me promise to not abuse my powers again.”

 

Sehun pauses before looking at Jongin’s face. Was that pity mixed with confusion? Sehun doesn’t like that look. “I was able to pay for his medicine and hospital fees and he got better but he still died because of an accident. A businessman ran over him and I wasn’t even able to file a case because the bastard had connections. I had no choice but to use my powers again because my father deserved justice.”

 

Sehun’s fists clenched. “Since then I became more aware of how many people are corrupt and dirty so after sending the to jail I used my powers again to steal from any rich man who had shady business going on. I don’t choose my targets randomly. We do research first and the corporation that’s supposedly owned by your father has a lot of contractual workers. They’ve been protesting but the company only silenced them.”

 

“Where does the money go?” Jongin asks.

 

“I donate them anonymously.” Sehun answers. “But for the material things that I steal, I sometimes sell them or I keep them. It’s just a little souvenir.” he shrugs.

 

Jongin was speechless for a moment. His hunch was right. Sehun had motives but he wasn’t just doing it to harass people. Yeah sure, stealing is bad and he is still a thief but he was right about Sehun being a good person.

 

“Don’t look at me with pity, I don’t need it.” Sehun snarls.

 

“When you were drugged, you said that sometimes you think you deserve it. That you deserve it when someone takes advantage of you, why would you say such a thing?”

 

“A thief is a thief. I am still wrong, aren’t I? And I deserve to be wronged too for breaking my promise with my father but… This is the easiest way for me to help others.”

 

Jongin leans back on his seat. Taking Sehun to Olympus will be so complicated. He broke laws in both Olympus and Earth but Sehun had a good reason for it. He isn’t sure if the gods would excuse it though.

 

“Now that I answered your questions, will you answer mine?” Sehun asks. Jongin nods, he’s still too confused to process things.

 

“Where is Donghaey? Will he be taken to Olympus too?”

 

“I’m not assigned to him, how would I know?”

 

“You can’t fool me. He called me earlier and he said that he’s being chased. He heard your name getting mentioned so don’t make excuses. His call got cut off so I’m worried.” Sehun says.

 

At that, Jongin suddenly sits straight. “They already got him?!” he exclaimed.

 

“Why are you so surprised? Isn’t that what you planned all along?”

 

Jongin shakes his head. “No, we were just supposed to get you. But if they already got him, it means that they’re after you now.”

 

Sehun looks confused as ever. “I thought you’re the one who’s after me?”

 

Jongin stands up. “Pack up and take what you can. We’re leaving.”

 

“But--”

 

“Stop asking and just follow my orders!” Jongin snaps.

 

Sehun flinches in his seat before scurrying his way to his bedroom. Jongin might have accidentally used his powers on him again.

 

Sehun emerges from his room later with a backpack that’s packed. Jongin holds onto his wrist before pulling him out of the apartment. Jongin wasn’t letting go as they got down the elevator.

 

Jongin’s driver was waiting outside but the son of Ares simply gives the driver some pocket money to take a cab home before taking the car keys from him.

 

He practically shoves Sehun inside and tightly places the seatbelt on him to make sure that he doesn’t run away before quickly getting on.

 

“Hands,” Jongin says.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Hold out your hands for me.” he orders.

 

Sehun barely has time to register what’s going on before Jongin yanked his wrists. He quickly hears a click and before he knows it, his wrists were bound tightly together by a red fabric with a lock.

 

“What? What is this for? I’m not going to run away!” Sehun exclaims.

 

“Chill princess, those are restrainers. I have to make sure that you won’t use your powers on me again. I’m sick of using the pills.” Jongin chuckles as he starts the engine.

 

“I won’t use them. You don’t have to do this at all.” Sehun whines.

 

Jongin gives him a once over. “Nah, you’re dangerous. I won’t take any risks.”


 

“Where are you taking me?” Sehun asks after a few minutes of silence.

 

“Somewhere…”

 

“To camp?”

 

“Not yet.”

 

“But why?”

 

“Keep quiet or I’ll gag you.”

 

“Gosh, I knew you were the moment I saw you.” Sehun gasps.

 

“To be fair, everyone in Olympus is .” Sehun’s nose wrinkled in disgust at that. “Plus, weren’t you the one who tried seducing me with lingerie?”

 

“Hey, Donghae gave it to me because he’s a . I never wore it and I never plan to wear it. I left it at your apartment.”

 

“That’s what you think.” Jongin snickers.

 

“What do you mean?” Sehun’s brows furrowed.

 

“Now is not the time for that.” Jongin lilts.

 

“By the way, I have one more question. Am I allowed to ask more?”

 

“No…”

 

“Okay, here it goes.” Sehun doesn’t care anymore at this point. “I gave you sleeping medicine last night. Donghae got it from rogue demigods too. Why didn’t it work on you?”

 

“I’m the son of the god of war.” Jongin shrugs. “Do you think no one has attempted that before? My enemies tried that when I was in battle. They’d befriend me and ask me for drinks. Once I’m knocked out, they’d attack my team. My father trained me well to fight off the effects.”

 

Sehun groans inwardly. “I’m ing dumb.”

 

“If it makes you feel better, you were pretty difficult to deal with. You’re a sly fox, I’ll give you that.”

 

“Don’t make me feel better, it was a losing game for me right from the start. I walked into the lion’s den.” Sehun says dejectedly. “I was stupid enough to give up my ity on this mission.”

 

Jongin snickers. “I only took what’s left of it.”

 

Sehun turns away and looks out the window. Jongin doesn’t miss the way his ears turn red. “ you.”

 

Jongin whistles. “You know your mama is gonna throw a fit once she discovers your colorful vocabulary.”

 

“ Aphrodite.” Sehun mutters childishly.

 

“No thanks but I’d take her son anytime.” Jongin jokes.

 

Sehun turns to him, looking scandalized. “Is this why you’re not taking me to camp yet? So you can sleep with me all you want?!”

 

Jongin laughs at that. “Gosh no. I’d sleep with you if you want to but I’d never force you. I’m not yet taking you to camp because I’m buying time.”

 

Sehun relaxes a bit. “What will they do with Donghae once they take him there?” he asks.

 

“He’s been stealing longer that you were, right?”

 

“Yeah but ever since we met, he gave me all the major missions and he started to lay low. At first he stole for the money too but that changed when he met me.” Sehun defends.

 

“You’re so fond of him, aren’t you?”

 

“Of course, he’s my best friend, my family. He’s all I have right now.”

 

Jongin sighs. He fishes out his phone from his pocket and video calls Chanyeol. He places the phone on a stand waits as it dials. A few rings later, Chanyeol picks up.

 

“Yo, what’s up Jongin?” Chanyeol asks.

 

“Not much, I caught the pretty boy.” Jongin says. He turns the stand a bit until Sehun is seen on the screen.

 

Chanyeol makes a choking noise. “Oh Zeus. Hello there.”

 

Sehun gives Chanyeol a deadpan stare. “Wow Jongin, I’ve always known that you could do it. Are you taking him to camp now?”

 

“Not yet, I actually have a few questions for you Chanyeol.” Jongin says. “Was Baekhyun with you?”

 

“Yeah but he left when Hermes called him.”

 

“Give me updates, what did Hermes tell him.”

 

“I don’t always eavesdrop on my boyfriend you know.” he snorts. “But I think it was an emergency since he was in a hurry. It’s about someone being caught, I think?”

 

“That’s Donghae!” Sehun gasps. “They caught him.”

 

“Aphrodite have mercy, he talks!” Chanyeol says in amazement.

 

“Shut up! Where did they take him?!” Sehun snaps.

 

“Feisty, just like how Jongin likes it.” the son of Hephaestus grins. “They haven’t arrived yet so I’m not sure. But if he really is caught, they’d be after you next.”

 

“And that is why I’m temporarily kidnapping him.” Jongin chimes in.

 

“But why? I thought your goal is to bring me back to camp?” Sehun asks.

 

“Knowing them, Hermes probably sent his favorite sons to go after the son of Eros. I just don’t want them taking you and having all the credit to themselves.”

 

“I think I saw Hermes talking to Jiyong and Top.” Chanyeol adds.

 

“Those two are vultures.” Jongin hisses.

 

“Madame Aphro gave it a go signal, I did tell you that she doesn’t like the idea of a son of Ares going after her son.” Chanyeol narrates.

 

Jongin smirks. “She’s in for a surprise once we arrive then.”

 

“Don’t tell me…” Chanyeol whistles lowly. “You slept with him?!”

 

Jongin doesn’t respond but Sehun’s blush is already a dead giveaway. “Olympus is at your mercy. Jongin you are amazing! Who would’ve thought that Ares’ son would get to have Aphrodite’s most gorgeous son!”

 

“Shut up, asskisser.” Jongin laughs. “Madame Aphro will probably banish me if she finds out.”

 

“What’s the deal with Aphrodite?” Sehun asks.

 

“You mean your mommy.” Chanyeol corrects.

 

“She’s not worthy for that acknowledgement.” Sehun scoffs.

 

“Well you see, my father and your mother kinda had this affair in a while and it was such a big issue so ever since then there was a bit of bad blood between them. Aphrodite wants nothing to do with Ares and the same applies to her kids.” Jongin explains.

 

“To be fair madame Aphro doesn’t want her kids near the kids of Heph as well.” Chanyeol adds.

 

Sehun sighs. “So that’s the only time she decides to act like a parent?” he says bitterly. “I just don’t understand. I’m sure most of the gods and goddesses at Olympus slept around with each other. There were affairs everywhere. With that logic, no one’s child is allowed to interact with anyone at all.”

 

“My dad was your mom’s greatest love, I think she just doesn’t want her kids to make the same mistake.” Jongin tells him.

 

“My father… He really loved Aphrodite even if he was just a fling to her. That’s why I’d never cheat on anyone, ever. I don’t think that gods know how to properly love.” Sehun looks out the window. “Aphrodite may be the goddess of love but she’s also the goddess of lust. A lot mix those up, perhaps even her.” he sighs.

 

“Was that why sleeping with me was such a big deal to you?” Jongin asks.

 

Sehun was quiet for a bit. “Yeah…”

 

“Oh damn Jongin, was he a ?!” Chanyeol gasps.

 

“Shut up Chanyeol, I’ll be there soon but in the meantime just buy us some time.”

 

“Is this like… A honeymoon or some sort?” he snickers.

 

“ off, just give me a few more days.” Jongin reminds before ending the call.

 

“Where are you taking me?” Sehun asks once again.

 

“One reason is that I don’t want you to be vultured away by Hermes’ sons. Another is that, once I take you to camp you’ll probably never be able to step foot in the land of mortals again. It’s best that you finish what you started.”

 

Sehun’s brows furrowed. “What?” he asks, confused.

 

Jongin takes off his watch and his wallet. “They’re yours.”

 

“Is this an insult?” Sehun glares at him.

 

“No, not at all.” Jongin shakes his head. “I heard your story and I want to confirm that it’s the truth. We’ll sell the watch and donate the cash. Take it as a reward because you nearly made me fall for your tricks.”

 

Sehun purses his lips. “Okay, let’s sell the watch first then I’ll tell you where to drive next.”

 

Selling the watch was a piece of cake with Jongin just casually marching in a shop and using his powers. When he asked Sehun about the donations, they drove to two different places.

 

First was a shelter for elderly people and another was an orphanage. “May I at least be the one to bring the money this time?” Sehun asks.

 

“Why?”

 

“Just… Please?”

 

Jongin sighs in defeat. “Fine but I’m coming with you.” he takes Sehun’s restrainers off. “Don’t attempt anything.”

 

“You have my word.”

 

From what Jongin noticed, the people working in the orphanage seem to know Sehun well. The lady at the counter was so happy to see him.

 

“The kids missed you and Donghae. How have you been?” the woman asks.

 

“Fine, Donghae is… Out working today. I missed the kids too.” Sehun smiles.

 

The woman looks at Jongin. “And who might this be?”

 

“He’s…”

 

Jongin walks towards the counter and offers his hand. “Jongin, I’m his partner.”

 

The woman smiles at him. “Partner as in business partners or something else?” she suggestively asks.

 

“Don’t listen to him, Seohyun.” Sehun huffs.

 

“He’s shy.” Jongin winks at her.

 

The woman, Seohyun, giggles. “Both of you should meet the kids then. Come and follow me.”

 

When Seohyun turns her back on them, Sehun slaps Jongin’s arm. “What the hell?”

 

“Play along, you’re supposed to be good at going undercover.” Jongin says as he holds out his arm.

 

Sehun rolls his eyes at him. “Don’t say anything weird while we’re with the kids, okay?” he says before accepting Jongin’s arm.

 

Seohyun ushered them towards the children’s playroom. Once they entered, the kids look at them with excited eyes.

 

“Look, it’s Sehun!” one of them shouted.

 

The kids all run towards them in excitement. Most ran to hug Sehun but there are a few that were hugging Jongin too, much to his confusion.

 

“Go on and have fun, I’ll be outside.” Seohyun waves.

 

“Sehun, who is he? He looks cool!” one of the kids asked.

 

“He’s a friend.” Sehun answers. “His name is Jongin.”

 

“Wooow, he looks cooler than Donghae!”

 

Sehun chuckles. “Hey, Donghae will get mad if he hears that. He’s the coolest, you know.”

 

“Is he a friend like Donghae?” one kid asked.

 

Sehun blinks at her. “Well… Yeah.”

 

“Really?” some of the kids grinned. “You don’t do that to Donghae!” the girl points at his arm wrapped around Jongin’s.

 

Sehun quickly pulls away. “That’s… friends can do that too.”

 

The little girl still didn’t look convinced so Jongin leans down to whisper, “We’re a couple but he doesn’t know yet.”

 

The girl giggles. “I knew it~” she singsongs.

 

“What did you tell Naeun?” Sehun asks.

 

Jongin grins at him while the girl, Naeun, places a finger on her lips. “It’s our secret!”

 

Sehun was about to counter when another kid pulls at his sleeves. “Sehun! Play with us, Seohyun bought new toys for us. “

 

Sehun’s face lights up at that. “Really? Let’s play then.” he smiles.

 

Two kids take each of Sehun’s hands and leads him into the pile of toys in the middle of the room. For a moment, Jongin just sits back and watch. Sehun is so fond of the kids and the kids are very fond of him too.

 

He finds himself smiling the more he looks at Sehun laughing around and playing with the children.

 

He feels a tug on his arm. He looks down and sees Naeun. “Mister, you should play with us.”

 

Jongin kindly smiles at her. “Sorry sweetie, I don’t really play.”

 

She pouts. “But we’re playing house with Sehun, Donghae is not here today. We don’t have a dad.”

 

“He’s the mom?”

 

“No,” she shakes her head. “We call him papa. He got mad at Donghae when he made us call him mommy.”

 

Jongin smiles at this. “Okay, I’ll play.”

 

Sehun was minding his own business and pretending to cook with all the other kids when he feels kiss on his cheek. He turns around and he sees Jongin carrying Naeun.

 

“Wha-”

 

“Honey, I’m home. I picked up our little girl from school.” Jongin grins.

 

Sehun’s eyes widen and his cheeks turn pink. The kids all squealed in excitement while Naeun laughs as she clings onto Jongin’s neck.

 

“Papa, aren’t you going to kiss daddy too?” Naeun asks.

 

“Uhm… but--” the other kids push him towards Jongin. They stare at each other for a moment, Jongin smirks while Sehun narrows his eyes at him.

 

“Papa, you have to kiiiiiiiiss him!!!” the kids squeal.

 

“Not one word.” Sehun grunts. He gives him a quick peck on the cheeks.

 

Naeun claps excitedly while the other kids told them that they need to prepare dinner so they play along.

 

It was a lot more fun than Jongin expected it to be. Sehun is just so relaxed and carefree with the kids. When it was time to say goodbye, Sehun gives each of them a hug.

 

“I won’t be able to visit for a while,” he smiles sadly. “I hope you had fun. Be good, oka?”

 

The kids all bid them goodbye. They even got letters and drawings as presents. Seohyun thanks them again for the visit and the donation before they left.

 

Jongin didn’t put the restrainers on Sehun when they got back in the car. Sehun was just looking at the letters from the kids while he was driving. The letters were written on paper ripped from notebooks and they were written using different colors of a crayon.

 

“Look, Naeun drew you.” Sehun shows him the drawing.

 

Jongin smiles. There were two tall stick figures and one small figure wearing a skirt. “She’s a sweet girl. They’re all good kids.” he returns his eyes on the road.

 

“That was my last visit, wasn’t it?”

 

Jongin purses his lips. “I guess.”

 

Sehun was quiet for a moment. “Hey Jongin,”

 

He hums in reply. “Thanks.” Sehun mutters. “Thanks for letting me see them.”

 

“It’s the least I could do, you’re still my prisoner though. You shouldn’t thank me.” he jokes.

 

He sees Sehun smiling in his peripheral vision. “I’ll be nice tonight since you let me see the kids. Who knows, I might try to escape tomorrow.” the son of Aphrodite retorts.

 

“You’re welcome to try.”

 

“Jongin,” Sehun calls him again.

 

“You’re not so bad after all.” Sehun smiles once again and Jongin swore he saw sparks. Was it an Aphrodite thing or was he sleep deprived?

 

Jongin doesn’t respond while Sehun looks out the window. Jongin thinks he feels his heart pounding against his chest.

 

“It must be his charm. He’s not wearing restrainers.” Jongin brushes it off. Yeah, it’s probably Sehun’s charm. He’s the son of the goddess of love, after all.