Emotional Dilemma

Sun and Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyeon followed Eunbi and Sian inside; their hands still intertwined. Chaeyeon’s eyes kept on looking at it and even though she wants to look away, her eyes finds a way to land on it again. Seeing how tight Sian is holding Eunbi’s hand, Chaeyeon regrets talking to the moon. She lied; above all, she wanted to be the reason for Eunbi’s smiles. She wanted to be the person that would save the older girl whenever she feels like she is drowning. She hopes to be the one who Eunbi sees as her light. She wants to be the sun, shining for Eunbi. The one who would light up her way and give her warmth.


They entered the hall and when Eunbi saw where Chaewon and the others are, she let go of Sian’s hand to walk beside Chaeyeon. Sian was surprised but she just looked at her hand that still feels the warmth of Eunbi’s touch; she got hurt but she knows.


“I’ll introduce you to the kids,” Eunbi said as she clung onto Chaeyeon’s arm. The younger girl was taken by surprise with the older girl’s sudden clinginess; but she is not complaining, she does not want it to end. “Why did you leave Sian?” Chaeyeon whispered, her eyes fixed on Sian’s back, “I figured you might become shy. Sian knows Chaewon, Suyoon, and Sohee,” Eunbi said and Chaeyeon tried her best to hide the smile that was about to form.


As they approached the Woollim kids, Chaeyeon got a little scared of Chaewon because she still looked grumpy after what happened earlier. Eunbi cleared and the kids turned to look at her, “Guys, this is Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon, these are my unofficial kids: Chaewon, Suyoon, and Sohee,” Eunbi introduced and the girls greeted each other. “We’ve been hearing a lot about you! Eunbi-unnie said we are born on the same year but you were born earlier than me,” Chaewon said and she really looked ecstatic meeting a person around the same age as hers, “I was born on January, you?” Chaeyeon asked, “Aww, I’m an August baby,” Chaewon said, “I don’t know if the two of you noticed it but both of you are Chae’s too,” Suyoon said and Chaewon hit her, “We’re talking; if you did not notice that too,” Chaewon said as she rolled her eyes at Suyoon.


Stunned and embarrassed, Suyoon went near Eunbi and hugged the older girl’s arm like a baby, “Unnie, you heard that, right? Chaewon hates me just because I was faster than her,” Suyoon said and Chaewon felt her ears ring when Suyoon dropped the honorifics, “Say what?” she said with gritted teeth, “Chaewon,” Suyoon firmly said. 


Chaewon was about to hit Suyoon again when Eunbi cleared , “You kids never behave, don’t you?” it was a short sentence but her serious face was enough to shut the two up. “Sorry about them. I wonder how they are older than me most of the time,” Sohee whispered to Chaeyeon but she did not notice that it was loud enough. Chaewon and Suyoon heard it and with a mere eye contact, they approached Sohee and hugged her from both sides, “We love you, maknae,” Chaewon and Suyoon said as they squished the youngest with their arms. Sohee looked like she was about to cry so Eunbi stepped up again and hit the two on their shoulders. 


“LEE CHAEYEON! I MISSED YOU,” they heard from afar and when Eunbi turned, a girl was hugging Chaeyeon and the latter hugged the girl back. She shrugged off the jealousy that was taking over. She went closer to Sian to not feel out of place. Sian was surprised to see Eunbi walk close to her and stand next to her with only a few inches of space between them. As she realized what the older girl has done, she felt disheartened; but her feelings for Eunbi was greater so she is fine with being used.


Chaeyeon turned to the two of them and dragged the girl for her to introduce, “This is my friend, Go Yujin. She might look intimidating but she is a soft pup deep inside,” Chaeyeon said while laughing and Yujin hit her; Eunbi unconsciously rolled her eyes. “Oh my gosh, Sian!” Yujin exclaimed and the two hugged, leaving Eunbi and Chaeyeon surprised. “So she was the Lee Chaeyeon you were talking about,” Sian said and Chaeyeon tilted her head, obviously confused. Yujin nodded her head as she hummed, “Yep, my dumb friend who did not bother to call me,” Yujin said as she eyed Chaeyeon, “I told you my phone broke,” Chaeyeon said and she raised her arms to prove her innocence. “At least you only lost communication for a week, not years,” Sian told them and Eunbi started getting tense. Chaeyeon noticed this and excused herself and Eunbi. The younger girl held the older girl’s hand; dragging her away from Yujin and Sian.


Sian just let Chaeyeon take Eunbi—it was bound to happen, literally and figuratively. She put on a small bitter smile and Yujin noticed it, “Will you really let your self get hurt like that? It’s been years, Sian,” Yujin said and realization struck Sian, “Is that why you asked for Eunbi’s number? Chaeyeon requested for it?” Sian said and Yujin just nodded, “I should’ve known from the start that Lee Chaeyeon, your friend, and Lee Chaeyeon, Eunbi’s friend was one,” Sian sighed.


Eunbi was surprised when Chaeyeon took her by the hand. She does not know where she is being taken to but she trusts the younger girl so much that she knows there is no point in doubting. When they stopped, Chaeyeon faced her and she was serious, “Are you okay? You looked uncomfortable back there. You can breathe now,” Chaeyeon said and Eunbi wanted to hug her for showing concern—but she stopped herself. “I’m fine,” Eunbi lied, “Sian and I are in good terms. We joke around about what happened to us so it’s no big deal,” Eunbi reached out for Chaeyeon’s hand, “I appreciate your concern,” Eunbi said while looking straight into Chaeyeon’s eyes.


Chaeyeon knows that even though Eunbi says she is fine, the look in the older girl’s eyes when Sian said what she said was enough to give away the answer to what Eunbi actually feels. Chaeyeon held Eunbi’s hand back, tighter than the older girl’s grip. Chaeyeon does not want to see Eunbi sad nor hurt; she gets affected, too. However, if you really love someone, whatever they do, whether it hurts you or not, you learn to accept. Chaeyeon knows Sian got hurt because of Eunbi’s memory problem and, on the other hand, Eunbi gets hurt whenever it is brought up. Despite getting hurt by each other, Chaeyeon could still see and feel the care they have for each other. At this moment, Chaeyeon is thinking whether she should take this chance to be honest. Eunbi has been her friend for a month; but what she is feeling for the older girl is too much to be contained within a time frame. Chaeyeon knows full well that there is uncertainty if she was to confess. Thinking that this might be her last chance, Chaeyeon decided to tell Eunbi what she feels, “Eunbi,” Chaeyeon started and Eunbi hummed to let the other girl know that she is listening. Chaeyeon cleared but as she was about to talk again, an announcement was made for the participants to prepare as the program will start soon.


Chaeyeon was about to drag Eunbi back when the older girl resisted, “What were you about to say?” Eunbi asked and Chaeyeon has already lost all of the courage to tell her, “I was just going to tell you to not be nervous. Just relax and enjoy performing,” Chaeyeon smiled and Eunbi felt warm; but for some reason, a part of her is disappointed.


Eunbi does not know why but maybe she expected something else. Maybe she wanted to hear different words from Chaeyeon. Maybe the younger girl was lying and she was about to say something else. Maybe Eunbi just thinks there is more to what Chaeyeon wants to say. Maybe Eunbi is just overthinking and she immediately assumed it would make her heart race. Eunbi knows it is impossible; but giving up her feelings seemed more impossible.


The two went back inside and found their places where Sian and the other kids reserved for them. Chaeyeon sat beside Yujin who is sitting beside Sian and next to Sian is Eunbi and the Woollim kids. Yujin leaned to Chaeyeon to ask something, “Seunghyeon and Youngin?” she asked and Chaeyeon shook her head, “They had stuff to do at the company. They had to practice harder since evaluations are coming up,” Chaeyeon answered, “Bummer. I can’t annoy you alone. I need back up,” Yujin said as she clicked her tongue and snapped her fingers. Chaeyeon laughed at Yujin’s antics. Eunbi saw this and she felt weird.


“Chaeyeon will be performing first among the four of us. Followed by you, me, then Yujin,” Sian said just so she could start a conversation, “I see. Are you feeling okay?” Eunbi asked back,


“I’m nervous but my teacher was great so I want to make her proud,”


“Just fix your expressions and I’ll be proud,”


“Like what I said, I did not join to win. I participated to find you,”


“I know but at least give it your all,”


“I am giving my all. You just don’t want to accept it,” and Eunbi was silenced. Eunbi was loss for words; she does not know how to reply. She is reminded that she is the reason for her best friend’s misery. If only she could do something to help the other girl move on. The problem is that her mere presence makes the younger girl stay more. Eunbi does not know how to make Sian waiver; even Eunbi herself cannot control her feelings. Eunbi cannot help, no matter how determined she is to do so, as she does not know what to do herself.


The program began and just as Sian said, Chaeyeon got called. Apparently, she was one of the first ten contestants to have registered, therefore, making them perform first. The first few performances were unbelievable. Each performer has their own charms that make them shine on stage; not to mention, their dances were very powerful. When Chaeyeon was up, they cheered for her and Yujin’s voice can be heard the most; Eunbi felt intimidated.


Chaeyeon breathed to let the nervousness flow out of her body. She stood at the middle of the stage and focused her mind in dancing. The music started to play and Chaeyeon’s body automatically moved to the beat. Her expressions changed so fast but it still fits the feel of the song. Chaeyeon’s groove seemed out of this world and it is evident that she has prepared for this stage. Chaeyeon could feel the excitement and happiness of being able to perform fill her body. She knows she was born for this. This is Chaeyeon’s chance to prove those that rejected her wrong. She has grown and they were too blind to see the potential in her. Before the end of her performance, Chaeyeon’s moves became sharper and stronger. Every detail was on point and Eunbi’s jaw dropped. 


This Chaeyeon was different from the Chaeyeon she saw performing at Hongdae. The latter was full of joy but the person in front of her, she was filled with passion and determination. This was the Lee Chaeyeon she met a month ago. The very same person who gave her the strength to carry on and strive to work harder. For a moment, she forgot that they were rivals in this competition. Lee Chaeyeon shone brighter on stage. Eunbi does not feel warm; instead, she felt serene. The feeling of home came back. Eunbi felt at ease while watching Chaeyeon. She should feel intimidated because of the younger girl’s skills but she cannot help but smile.


While Eunbi was watching Chaeyeon carefully, Sian looked at her. At first, Sian was watching Chaeyeon but as her peripheral vision caught how Eunbi’s mouth was left open, Sian turned her attention to Eunbi. It was hard watching Eunbi fall harder for the person that she just met while Sian is left on the side lines as her best friend. Without notice, tears started to fall down Sian’s eyes. She was lucky that Chaeyeon had everyone focused on her. Sian wiped her eyes and just looked down. Why does she keep on hurting herself? It was as if she has learned to love the pain that comes with loving Eunbi. She knows she will not receive fully what she has given completely but at the end of the day, Sian continues to hope. Meeting and seeing Chaeyeon made her feel discouraged but the little light of hope continues to glimmer in Sian’s heart.


Chaeyeon finished performing and she received loud cheers and praises. Since most of them were talking at once, the voices became inaudible but Chaeyeon knows that she did well. She bowed and left for the backstage. She went back to their seats and Yujin immediately hugged her, “I’m full of sweat. You’ll ruin your costume,” Chaeyeon said as she tried to pull away from Yujin, “I don’t care. You were so great! As expected from Lee Chaeyeon,” Yujin said and she hugged Chaeyeon tighter, “Okay, I get it. Now let go,” Chaeyeon said and Yujin finally removed her arms around Chaeyeon. 


Chaeyeon tried to spare a glance at Eunbi but the latter’s name got called for she will be performing on the next batch. Chaeyeon cannot wait to see what kind of performance Eunbi would show today. Chaeyeon already knows the older girl is capable of anything after seeing her perform a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter