Springing Tension

Sun and Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyeon was about to talk to Eunbi when she saw the other girl closing her eyes. Eunbi’s lips moved as she thought of things to tell the moon but no sound came out. Chaeyeon looked up and started wishing, “I know wishing are done for shooting stars and not the moon but I hope you grant whatever this person beside me is wishing. We’ve only met but she made me feel like I have known her for a lifetime. She deserves all the good things in life. Please be her guide whenever she succumbs into darkness. Make Sian your instrument in making her happy. She might not admit it but I could see how her face lights up whenever she mentions Sian. I don’t have the courage to tell her how I feel because she might think it was too fast. If I won’t win on the dance competition, then let it be Eunbi; or give her opportunities there. She has gone through so much; she deserves to be recognized,” Chaeyeon thought and as she opened her eyes, she turned to look at Eunbi only to find out that the older girl is staring at her. Chaeyeon knows she is blushing but staring at Eunbi seemed to be something she enjoys. “Should we get going?” Eunbi asked and Chaeyeon felt a little disappointment. She swears she was about to say yes but instead the words that came out of are: “Not yet. I still want to stay with you”.


Eunbi and Chaeyeon spent a lot of time by the Han River. They just sat there; talking about random things before falling silent once again. As the night grew deeper, the two decided to go home. “See you when I see you, I guess,” Chaeyeon said and Eunbi nodded. They both stood up and got their own buses home.


As soon as Chaeyeon opened the door to their dorm, she was welcomed with Seunghyeon and Youngin staring at her from the couch. “Where have you been, unnie?” Seunghyeon smirked, “I took a stroll,” Chaeyeon answered as she walked straight to the kitchen to drink water. “With?” Chaeyeon almost dropped the glass when she turned around and Youngin was in front of her, “Geez, guys. Let me rest for a moment,” Chaeyeon said as she walked towards the counter to sit. The two younger girls followed suit.  


No one was talking and Chaeyeon felt uncomfortable with Seunghyeon and Youngin’s stares. When she could not take it anymore, she sighed, “I was with a friend,” and that just fueled the younger girls’ curiosity more, “The one on the phone or the girl from Hongdae?” Seunghyeon asked, eyebrows raised, “They’re the same person,” Chaeyeon answered and before the other two could mutter follow up questions, she immediately stood up and ran to her room.


Chaeyeon thought that she is free from the two until she heard nonstop knocking on her door. She cursed under her breath before letting the two girls in. “Now what?” she lazily asked as she plopped to her bed. “Get up, unnie. You have a lot to share,” Youngin said and she tried to pull Chaeyeon up but gravity is stronger. “Tell the tale or I’ll access your call logs?” Seunghyeon said and Chaeyeon immediately sat up after remembering that she gave Seunghyeon her password a week ago, “Give me my phone,” Chaeyeon said, handing her hand out after seeing her phone in Seunghyeon’s hand. “Give us the story,” Seunghyeon said and tension grew between the two. Youngin stood there; her eyes darting from left to right as Chaeyeon and Seunghyeon negotiate. In the end, Seunghyeon gave back Chaeyeon’s phone and the older girl promised to tell what happened.


“We went to Hongdae and after that took a walk by the Han River. That’s all of it,” Chaeyeon said and the two looked disappointed, “That’s not how you tell a story,” Youngin said and Chaeyeon stuck her tongue out, “What do you kids want? I’ll make up details that did not happen?” Chaeyeon said and Seunghyeon and Youngin glared at her, “I’m sure there’s more to that than what you said,” Seunghyeon said as she narrowed her eyes. Chaeyeon shook her head, “Sorry to disappoint but that’s that. Nothing more, nothing less,” Chaeyeon insisted and the two just sighed in defeat.


As soon as the two girls went out of her room, Chaeyeon could not contain the happiness she felt because of this day. “It’s okay if I’m not the one she likes. As long as I could be with her, I’m fine with it,” she told herself and she realized that she does not know how to address Eunbi. Calling the older girl unnie is a must because of their ages but she feels weird thinking about it. To put a stop on her dilemma, Chaeyeon decided to chat Eunbi; and she smiled knowing that she found another reason to talk to the older girl.


It took Eunbi a couple of minutes to respond to Chaeyeon’s ‘Hey’. To make up for the delay, Eunbi dialled Chaeyeon’s number and the younger girl picked up after a few rings. “I was fixing myself earlier that’s why I wasn’t able to answer immediately. Sorry,” Eunbi said, “That’s okay. I don’t mind waiting,” Chaeyeon said and Eunbi grabbed her pillow to bury her face in it. “What do you want to talk about?” Eunbi asked, “I was just thinking of what I should call you,” Chaeyeon said and Eunbi knows she is turning red. “A nickname?” Eunbi stuttered and Chaeyeon realized her mistake, “My bad. I meant how should I address you. Do I call you unnie or Eunbi?” Chaeyeon said and Eunbi felt her heart jump when Chaeyeon mentioned her name. Despite the fluttering feeling, Eunbi cannot help but think of Sian as well. The younger girl’s face while calling her unnie flashed in front of her eyes. Eunbi’s heart ached. She loves Sian as her best friend but the younger girl loves her more than that. She knows her best friend deserves to be happy but she cannot risk hurting her further by feeding her with false hopes.


“Hello?” Eunbi got pulled back to reality when Chaeyeon spoke again. Eunbi shook her head to clear her thoughts, “Sorry, I kind of drifted,” she apologized, “You can call me however you like,” Eunbi said and she hopes that Chaeyeon does not call her by her name because she knows she might faint whenever her name gets called, “Okay then, Eunbi,” Chaeyeon said and Eunbi wanted to throw herself out of the building.


After talking to Chaeyeon, Eunbi called Sian who picked up after a few rings, “Hey, Sian,” Eunbi started and the girl on the other end hummed, “Were you comfortable in calling me unnie?” Eunbi asked and Sian giggled, “To be honest, I wasn’t. It felt weird but it was the right thing to do,” Sian answered and Eunbi smiled, “If you’re more comfortable in calling me by my name then that’s alright,” Eunbi said and she heard Sian screech, “For real?” disbelief was evident in Sian’s voice and Eunbi laughed, “Yes,” she said and the younger girl kept repeating her name. 


When Sian seemed to have grown tired of saying Eunbi’s name, she spoke, “Can we hang out tomorrow? Let’s watch each other's choreographies and think of possible improvements,” Sian suggested and Eunbi felt excited,  “Sure. Your place?” Eunbi asked and the younger girl hummed in agreement. They talked for a few more minutes before finally ending the call.



Eunbi got up early to cook breakfast for her fellow trainees. She plans on leaving early to spend more time with Sian because she still feels guilty about not remembering her for the past two years. When she finished cooking, she ate and fixed herself. She left a note on the table, telling the kids to eat and just message her if they are going somewhere, before setting off to Sian’s house.


Eunbi arrived and Sian was jumping towards the gate when she saw Eunbi. They entered the house and Eunbi sat down on the couch and made herself comfortable. “Have you had breakfast, Eunbi?” Sian said and she emphasized Eunbi’s name. The older girl laughed, “I did. I can’t leave the dorm without cooking for the kids,” she said and Sian nodded her head, “Wait for me while I eat then,” Sian said and she went to the dining area.


Feeling a little bored, Eunbi scanned the house. Her eyes landed on every piece of detail that surrounded her. Sian’s house was simple yet elegant; it perfectly resembles its owner. Eunbi knows how difficult it is to live alone and she does not know how Sian managed to do so without feeling so down. She stood up and went to where Sian entered.


As she entered the dining area, she saw Sian; the younger girl’s back facing her. She went closer and pulled out a chair for herself. Sian was surprised, “Why? Hungry?” Sian asked and Eunbi shook her head, “Nope. I just got bored sitting there doing nothing,” Eunbi said, “You could’ve started practicing. I wouldn’t mind,” Sian said and she took a bite from her toast, “I was too lazy,” Eunbi smiled and Sian shifted her gaze because her cheeks were starting to burn. “Say, Sian,” Eunbi started and the younger girl looked at her, “What if you realize that your beliefs have changed? Is that really possible?” Eunbi asked and Sian felt a pain in her chest because she realized what Eunbi meant, “You finally believe in love at first sight? You’re finally admitting you like Chaeyeon then,” Sian said and she put on a smiled. Before Eunbi could speak, Sian added, “Or do you mean you fell in love?” the sweetness of the jam suddenly turned bitter as Sian said those words. “I know I shouldn’t be telling this to you since you just confessed but yeah, I think I like her,” Eunbi said and Sian took a sip of her hot coffee.
Sian does not mind burning her tongue due to the drink; that pain is tolerable and it would go away after a while. Looking at Eunbi right now, Sian could feel the warmth of the older girl’s admiration for Chaeyeon. Sian realizes that she cannot be Eunbi’s sun; because for her, Eunbi is the sun. Eunbi shone bright and just like the little moth, she went too close to the fire and ended up burning herself. Sian’s love for Eunbi has grown deeper that no wounds nor pain could

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter