Little Prince

Bother Brother

VI


 

Weird, by its definition, is Kim Jongin. The elder started sticking around him every chance he could get. He had been helping him in the library. Minseok was thankful for him as he slacked around on his job due to the extra pair of hand doing his duties. Kyungsoo was much less delighted with the whole arrangement since Jongin had been openly flirting at him and it’s taking a toll to his productivity. What frustrated Kyungsoo even more is that (sure, he might find it annoying, but) he did not necessarily hate it.

Jongin smiled, handing him a small book that Kyungsoo took to return to the shelves.

“That book is called ‘The Little Prince’,” Jongin said matter-of-factly, trying to look smart. “It was writted by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.”

Jongin’s pronunciation of the name was off, but it was a good effort.

“I know the book” Kyungsoo replied. It’s one of the most popular books there is. It tells a story about an airplane pilot meeting a little boy on the African desert. Jongin stepped a bit closer to him. The two gazed at each other.

What is essential is to the eye. both of them echoed, saying the book’s famous line.

Jongin chuckled, and Kyungsoo could not help but smile.

“You see in the story, the little prince fell in love with a vain rose. The little prince had to leave his small asteroid where he lives after he discovered that the rose had lied to him. He travelled many planets, meeting adults, and when he went to earth guess what he saw? A rose garden! He was disappointed because he had believed that the rose he fell in love with was unique, one of its kind, but it turns out she’s only one of many.” Jongin’s gaze never left his. Kyungoo listened to story as if he had not read the book a couple of times already. His lips thinned, he peered closer. “The prince met a fox and he said that what made the rose unique is the time he spent with her, nurturing her. The rose may be one of many, but the rose is still one of a kind. What is essential is to the eye.”

“I know that story, Jongin” Kyungsoo placed a hand on Jongin’s chest and pushed him gently to give some distance between them. They were getting too close for comfort. Jongin chuckled again. He raised a hand, and he was about to pat Kyungsoo’s head but he stopped midway. He opted to rub his elbow instead. Kyungsoo wondered why.

Jongin became quiet then his eyes look steadily at one direction. Kyungsoo bit his lips. Jongin stared back at him.

“You know, you remind me of the Little Prince.” Kyungsoo could not read what further meaning lies behind Jongin’s eyes.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo had a history test coming up and he still hadn’t studied the 40-paged PDF that their teacher had emailed the class. By this time, he would’ve read it in advance already but the recent development in his relationship status had been keeping him busy. Sohyun would always invite him to random cafes after school for them to try whatever delicacy that Sohyun’s sweet tooth had been craving. The day before, they had parfait. The day before that, they had mug cakes. They might have already tried every desert there is.

 Kyungsoo scrolled his lesson file. It was filled with dates and names that he had not yet memorized. The numbers were not taking its roots on his mind.

There was a knock on his door. His older brother peeked in. “Hey buddy.”

Kyungsoo raised his head, looking at his brother.  “What is it hyung?”

His brother looked at his table filled with notes then at him. He was almost hesitant. Seungsoo would not usually bother him when he was studying. The both of them had learned not to invade each other’s time.

“You have an exam coming up?” Seungsoo asked.

“It’s not yet until next week. I was just reading so that I wouldn’t cram much.”

“I was thinking if you weren’t busy, I have this movie I really want to watch but my friend ditched me watching it because of their girlfriends. It to be the single one out.” Seungsoo grumbled.

Kyungsoo couldn’t help but smile. His brother was still a bit childish at times. Seungsoo treated him like a child but Kyungsoo knew that his brother is also more carefree when he’s with him.

“It has been so long since we hang out together just the two of us.” Seungsoo said it as a statement rather than a question, and it was true. Kyungsoo knew that he was the one keeping distance between the two of them when he also knew that if it would come to it, Seungsoo would pick over any of his stupid friends.

“What movie is it?”

+++

 

Jongin’s blood was pumping cold blood. Everyday his feeling was becoming realer, more tangible, and he’s scared of it. There was a gun each on his hands. He kept pulling trigger after trigger effectively killing the enemies projected on the arcade screen. A sheen of sweat formed on his forehead. There was a small crowd of kids crowding near him to watch his game in amazement. Jongin was good at it, he had long already beaten the high score, but soon the enemies overwhelmed him. A game over was displayed on screen, and the kids groaned and dissipated leaving a bored Yixing who was sipping a cola on a plastic cup alone. The arcade was crowded than usual, and it had this neon light aesthetic that made Jongin dizzy.

“What has gotten you so pumped up lately, is this about your feelings with Kyungsoo?” Yixing asked him, just as perceptive as before. His friend was kind enough to accompany him to the mall with him even though he wasn’t in the mood for it. Jongin did not want to be confronted with his feelings though.

He grumbled, biting his lips.

“I don’t know, bro. Kyungsoo is just so beautiful, and he has a pretty smile, and damn he’s y.” Jongin looked so pathetic saying that, and he knew it judging by the way Yixing was looking at him silently judging his embarrassing bout. He shrugged, he was just telling the truth.

“Be careful with your hormones,” Yixing opted to chuckle, rolling his eyes at his desperation.  The both of them walked to another gaming station. Yixing placed a token on the fighting game then he picked a character. He had a hard time deciding whether to choose the judo master or the demon character. Jongin sat beside him, cradling his head on his arm. He was not paying attention to Yixing’s game.

A famous military revolutionary had once said “Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.” Jongin had read this on one of the book he had borrowed from the library and he was unconsciously using it to his sister. He did not know why he was using this tactic, and on his quest for Kyungsoo at that, but Sohyun was bound to make a mistake. He would just wait their relationship to take its course before he and Kyungsoo would break up. Nothing was happening though. Sohyun would always go home with a big smile on her face and pink marring her pretty cheeks.

Jongin wondered if the couple had kissed already, but he’d rather not think on thoughts along those lines. It made his gut queasy just by the idea of it.

“Have you ever fought with Kyungsoo?” Jongin would ask, but Sohyun would just shake her head. The couple are both too kind, but Kyungsoo did not need a copy of him, he needed someone to complement him. Jongin thought that he’s that someone, but he still needed to work hard for it.

Yixing was concentrated on the game he’s playing. Jongin pouted, bringing his cellphone out of his pocket. He scrolled to his contact list and stopped at Kyungsoo’s name. He clicked it without thinking. He had set Kyungsoo’s display picture with the photo that he had taken back when Kyungsoo was smiling browsing his childhood photos. Jongin contemplated to text him. Calling would be too much, but it did cross his mind. Jongin sighed, locking his phone. He did not want to be too close to Kyungsoo yet, he’s still afraid that his feelings would not be reciprocated despite the recent boost on his confidence.

He’s very indecisive.

He looked outside the arcade. There was a fountain inside the mall and people would crowd at the bench placed around it to rest their feet. Jongin then saw him. There was Kyungsoo sitting alone on the bench. It had to be him. Jongin could see the thickness of the frame of his glasses. He was pouting on his gray jacket looking bored.

Jongin stood up to go to where the younger is.

“I’ll be back,” he said to his friend.

Yixing hummed, eyes not leaving the screen as he kept pushing buttons haphazardly. He had ended up choosing the judo master.

Jongin tried to approach Kyungsoo with careful steps hoping to surprise him, but Kyungsoo looked up and saw him even before he could make his move. The librarian’s lips curved upon seeing him.

“Jongin, you’re here.”

“Hello there, little prince.” Jongin grinned, taking another step forward. Kyungsoo made a face upon hearing his nickname, but it lasted only a split second. “What are you doing here?”

“Kyungsoo!” Another man appeared. The man was holding two ice cream cones, offering one to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo the treat as soon as he received it, humming contentedly.  The new man was handsome, he’s tall, and his skin was just as fair as Kyungsoo’s. The man looked at him then to Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo lifted his head from the ice cream.

“Hyung, he’s Jongin and he’s my schoolmate. Jongin, he’s Seungsoo-hyung, my older brother.”

Jongin heaved a sigh. For a moment, he felt jealousy and questions stirring within him, but it was only Kyungsoo’s older brother. He should not have doubted Kyungsoo, he now felt guilty. Kyungsoo was not the type of person to cheat on his sister for another boy, but then Jongin realized that that thought would go back to him and his intentions. Kyungsoo was not the type of person to cheat on his sister for another boy.

 

 

+++

Jongin had been standing in idle. It was so unlike him.

“Me and hyung just watched a movie together.” Kyungsoo said, eyeing the senior.

Jongin looked at him. He opened his mouth, closed it, and then opened his mouth again. “I have somewhere to go back to, Yixing was with me in the arcade,” Jongin pointed at a direction. “It was nice meeting you,” he nodded to Seungsoo then looked back to him “Bye, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo watched Jongin’s receding back. Jongin would usually grab every opportunity to be with him, but maybe he did not want to bother Seungsoo, or maybe he was just not in the mood.

“He seems like a good guy, is he your friend?” Seungsoo raised a brow as he sat beside him. Kyungsoo thought about the question. Is Jongin his friend? What is their relationship exactly? This seemed to be a pattern, a running thought whenever Jongin was involved. He knew that Jongin had some sort of attraction to him, but does he also feel the same way back? Jongin was a hard shell to crack.

Kyungsoo nodded to his brother’s question. He was at least a friend, Kyungsoo would give him that.

“He’s a senior in our school, he’s my girlfriend’s brother.” He decided to throw some extra info.

Kyungsoo took a bite of the ice cream cone. His relationship with Jongin was becoming more complicated but it still could be simple. Maybe he was just overthinking its intricacies and it came down to this: Jongin is his girlfriend’s brother. It was simple as that, no need for unnecessary complications. His brother looked perplexed on his position, not eating his ice cream which was then starting to melt.

Kyungsoo looked at him.

“You have a girlfriend and you did not tell me anything about it?” His brother sounded angry, and Kyungsoo did not know where this is coming from. The question hanged in the air. Seungsoo had not told him he had a girlfriend either back when he was dating. He had only known about his relationship when Seungsoo had come to his room crying because apparently he had caught the girl she was in love with cheating on him. Seungsoo had sobbed on his lap as he was rubbing circles on his back. Despite being bigger than him, Seungsoo looked so small back then.

“You did not tell me you had a girlfriend either.” Kyungsoo said.

“That’s not the point Kyungsoo. Don’t try and take it back on me.” Seungsoo’s voice was soft but it had edges that intimidated Kyungsoo. This was not a big deal to begin with and his brother was making a mountain out of a molehill.

“But that is the point!” Kyungsoo could not contain his voice, he was irritated. “You’re also always never at home, you’re always with your friends.” He knew he was adding fuel to the fire, but he’s already angry.

“Why are you bringing my friends up?” Seungsoo was still keeping his voice down low. Kyungsoo knew his brother did not want to make a scene, ever so conscious on how he was perceived.

Kyungsoo remained quiet. He wanted to control his anger. He thought that that day would be a good day for his relationship with his brother, but things like this were always bound to happen.

“My friends like you Kyungsoo if you only know, but you have never given them a chance.”

“Of course they’ll say they’ll like me. I’m your brother. What else would they say in front of you? They all secretly think I’m a wimp.” Kyungsoo’s ire is evident on his tone.

“Well, with the way you’re acting right now, maybe they’re right.”

Seungsoo’s word was a big slap to Kyungsoo’s face. Kyungsoo did not know what to say. He could see the instant regret on his brother’s face, but what has been said had been said.

“Kyungsoo, I’m sorry-” He started, but Kyungsoo would have none of it.

Kyungsoo stood up not wanting to hear any apology. It’s not like his brother was saying any lies. Maybe he was also secretly thinking that.  He walked ceaselessly not wanting to look if his brother was coming for him or if he let him sort himself. He bumped some adults, whispering fast apologies. Kyungsoo was not crying, and his initial anger had dissipated already. He just wanted to get away.

“Kyungsoo,” He heard his brother’s voice coming closer. His hand was pulled, and then he was met with a hug.

When they broke apart, he glared at his brother. He scrunched his brows to convey stubbornness. He still had his pride to keep and he could be a bratty brother. His brother already knew him and his tendencies though and this was not new. Seungsoo raised his hand and patted his head.

Kyungsoo really hated it whenever Seungsoo treated him like a kid, but he’ll let this one slide for now.

“Are you sure that it was the little sister your girlfriend is, that Jongin guy looked like he was interested with you.” His brother grinned.

The slap Kyungsoo gave to his arm next was well deserved.

 

 

 


Hello again guys. Have you  guys watched Kyungsoo's new drama yet? I'm glad it's doing well on the ratings.

Comments and upvotes are appreciated. As for this story, this won't be a long fic. It will have 8-10 chapters maybe.