Chapter 7

Once Upon a Curse

Your POV

Oh my God. He just waved to me....and I waved back...what am I doing?! The butterflies in my stomach went into a frenzy; I felt like throwing up. Oh no. He's coming here. Crap.

"Y-your highness!" I mentally slapped myself. Why do I sound so excited?! Now he's going to think I'm like everyone else and leave me! Wait, why am I so worried? Not like I plan to marry him...or anything...

He held his hand out in front of, smirking and half bowing with his other arm behind his back. It's a good thing I don't have to talk...should I? Would that be rude? I probably showed how flustered I was because I earned another bright smile from him. He had really nice teeth. Wait, he's the prince, of course he does. Oh my gosh I need to stop thinking about these things.

"So...uh...are you enjoying yourself?" He nodded and pulled me towards the dance floor. I guess I have to stick with yes or no questions. "You really know how to throw a party..."

That's not a question. "I m-mean...sorry, I'm really awkward." It seemed like he wanted to laugh, but no sound escaped his mouth. To be honest, he kind of looked insane, but in a good way. Because he's the prince, of course.


Jonghyun POV

I. Look. Like. An. Idiot. I wanted to smack myself in the face. She probably thought I was crazy. No, no. Calm down, Jonghyun. You got this. I think she likes you. Oh, who am I kidding? She probably doesn't even want to be here! She's always avoiding eye contact and looking around for an excuse to leave, probably. If I could talk...well, that would just be wonderful. 

"I m-mean...sorry, I'm really awkward." She smiled shyly, looking into my eyes for the first time this night. I mean, everyone's eyes are brown, but her's were so...beautiful. Oh jeez, this is weird.

I lead us to the center of the floor, and everyone created room for us. She seemed to tense a little, probably from nerves, but it's all going to be okay because I am Prince Jonghyun! 


Your POV

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod. We're in the center. I scanned the crowd for my stepmother, even though the queen herself told me not to worry. Still, what if she was waiting outside? Ready to pounce on me for running away and actually living my life. I gulped unconsciously and froze. He probably thinks I don't want to be here! Say something...something not dumb!

"Ummm...I'm-" A loud ding resonated through the ballroom. I'm guessing it's from the giant clock in the town center. I looked back to Jonghyun and he looked worried. His eyebrows were furrowed and I didn't know what he was thinking! This was a lot harder than it should be.

The bell rang again, and again. I looked to the large clock hanging in the ballroom; what? It was only 10:36. That's not when the clock tower should go off. "Your highness...?"

Jonghyun looked at you and pouted. How cute. He shrugged and looked towards his mother, who was busy conversing with that Minho guy from earlier. She had a concerned look on her face, as well, and everyone else at the ball had stopped dancing. The orchestra was still playing quietly, but I could tell they were curious, too.

"Is something wrong?" You shyly looked back to Jonghyun and he scratched his neck. He still had a hand around my waist, and I blushed from the realization. The only boys I ever made contact with were my brother, and Key when he was making my dress, which was totally different from how I was feeling now. 

"Oh...no..." Everyone's attention went to the queen and she gasped. The doors to the ballroom erupted and silence soon followed. I felt someone grab my hand before I could see what was happening, and I was dragged back to the side entrance from where I came. 

Before I knew it, I was rushed down a dimly lit corridor to a door that lead outside. Jonghyun was grasping my hand tightly and his face showed an intense sense of determination. 


Jonghyun POV

No. No, no, no. Not now. Anytime but now. I looked at her and saw that she was confused; a wave of guilt suddenly rushed over me. Love. It was too soon for love. But, just like every other curse before, it had to work the same, right? This was a desperate time, and desperate times call for desperate measures....something like that. He wasn't supposed to ever come back. I had to get her to a safe place! I don't know why, but something about her...it was just so much more than her pretty face, and pretty dress. In the end, all that didn't matter. Here I go, being all corny again. 

Key! I had to get her to Key! Ugh, why can't I talk?! I pulled her towards the stables, and the stable boy jumped awake. He nodded at me and quickly prepared us one of the carriages. I helped her inside; thank God she wasn't questioning it. Don't know if that's a good thing, but I don't have the time to question her. The stable boy pushed the larger door open and I hopped onto the driver's seat, grabbing the reigns. We drove into the darkness, down the hill, and I made my way to Key's barely lit house. Please be home, please be home...

As the carriage slowed to a stop, I hopped off and secured the horse to a post as quickly as I could. I didn't want to risk anything; not with him here.

I opened the door for her and she almost fell out. I could see the confusion written all over her face, and it would seriously help if I could just talk. Why was falling in love so difficult?

I looked around me before pounding on Key's door, and a groggy-eyed teenage boy answered.

"Taemin!" She rushed to him and gave him a hug. WHO IS HE. Wait, she has a brother, just kidding.

"Ah! Your highness!" He quickly bowed, and I bowed back before pushing them both inside. I didn't want to be rude, but, you know. I motioned to all the mannequins, and prayed they understood what I was trying to say.

"Key?" She pulled her mask off before kicking her shoes to the side. Wow, so ladylike. I like her.

Again, I felt the dread of not being able to talk fill me. I get so frustrated with myself sometimes, I just don't know what to do. I run my hands down my face and rush past them to the back. Key's father is still ill, and I'm suddenly sad. I want to help him; Key's my best friend, but no one in the kingdom knows what's wrong, so all we can really do is wait and hope he recovers. Key is softly snoring on the couch in his workshop and I sigh. The bags under his eyes have been progressively getting worse, and as a friend, I really don't want to wake him, but as the prince, I know I have to.

I nudge his shoulder, and end up shaking him until he finally cracks an eye open. "J-jjong! What are you doing here?!"

Key shoots up and rubs his eyes. I search for a piece of paper and settle on one that has a drawing of a horribly gross dress on it. 

He's here. You need to get everyone to safety!

Key looks at me with sad eyes. We don't even need to say his name and we know that the situation is not good. "You have to come with me. I can't leave knowing my best friend is in danger."

I shake my head. 

"I know you're the prince! But you're...you're my brother first!" He stands with his hands on his hips, and with his disheveled hair, he looks a little ridiculous. "I can't. I won't."

This is why you're my best friend!

But.

We- ...I just can't abandon my kingdom.

Does loving my best friend count enough for me to start talking?! I mean, I know we're not in love, but love is love! Right?

_____ and her brother come in; she's changed into normal clothes and I almost do a double-take. She's still beautiful. 

"Guys...it's not safe here anymore. We need to go. All of us." Key looks at me briefly before gathering a few things into a bag. He pushes her to a room and tells them to pack what they need. I know that while they're distracted, I can leave. I can return to the castle and fulfill my duties as crown prince. But my feet don't move. 

Before I know it, we're all in the carriage and heading down the street, into the woods at the end of the kingdom.


HI GUYS. So I know it's been like 10 billion years, but I want to say thanks for bearing with me! I finally found some inspiration to keep writing, and I just want to thank everyone for their lovely comments. I hope I don't disappoint you, and hopefully Jjong will get his voice back, soon! And I plan to make Minho and Onew appear again eventually, because I love them I can't bear the thought of leaving them out of the rest of the story. I meant for this fic to be simple and to the point, but I figured I might as well add something other than romance to it. Obviously, falling in love in one night isn't as believable as falling in love over time. Not that it can't happen, but I think "you" are a little more cautious, and well, Jjong is just a bit too oblivious to realize love that quickly. Anywho, I'll update soon, hopefully! I love all my stories to death, but sometimes I just don't know what to write >< And I'm so so so so sorry!! But I'll try my darndest! Is that even how you spell it? Idk.