Chapter 6

Once Upon a Curse

Your POV

"Excuse me ma'am, but the queen has requested she stay. I don't think you want to get on Her Highness' bad side." Minho grabbed your other arm gently and started to pull you towards him. Your stepmother took a few moments to process the situation before finally releasing you. She nodded, but gave you an angry glare before turning back and eventually leaving.

"Thank you...uh..."

"Minho. No need to thank me, miss. Shall we?" He gestured to the throne where the queen sat, observing the party. Another woman was next to her, younger yet still quite regal. 

"Wow, who is that?" Your arm was now resting on Minho's as he lead you to the throne.

"Her? That is Her Royal Highness, Princess So Dam. She is the Prince's elder sister. She has come to visit for a few days before returning to her husband's kingdom..." Minho sounded a bit forlorn at that last fact, but you didn't want to take too much notice of it.

"Oh...is that so?" You turned your head back to the two royals in front growing closer. You and Minho remained silent for the rest of the walk; you were afraid to pry.

"Ah, hello Your Highness...es" 

The princess nodded her head at you before turning her attention back to the dance floor. The queen, on the other hand, smiled at you and extended her hand. Huh. What kind of queen does that? Oh well.

After shaking her hand, you curtsied as gracefully as you could, but what can you do? You were about as graceful as a duck.

"So, I saw you dancing with my son."

"A-ahh, yes Your Majesty..." Wasn't he dancing with everyone, though? 

"Hmm, you seem a little nervous. You shouldn't be, child, this is a party! Enjoy it~" The queen gave you a warm smile, but it only made you feel a little more awkward. The dress, the food, the presence of royals? Definitely not what you were used to. 

"I'm sorry...I'm just not used to this environment, I guess..." You absentmindedly straightened your dress, and tried your best to look like you were enjoying yourself. 

"Ah, well, it is different, isn't it? I do hope you stay a little while longer, though. I saw a woman trying to drag you out; as if she has a better chance with my son! Ha!" 

"Oh...her...that was my step-mother; I'm sorry..." You wondered if you should curtsy, or even bow, but the queen just waved her hand as if the two of you were on casual terms.

"Nothing to worry about, my dear. She won't bother you anymore if I can help it...and I am the queen. Go on; eat, dance some more! Make my son fall in love with you..."

"E-excuse me?"

"Oh, nothing~ Go, go!" The queen smiled at you once more, gesturing at Minho to take you back down to the dance floor. 


Jonghyun POV

Ohmygoodness. My mom talked to her. This can't be good. But wait, she's coming back? Minho should take her to me...heh. Wait, did I just think that? Psh, nope!

I'll go to her; that's more manly...yup.

I bowed to the girl I was dancing with; she was nice, but trying way too hard. Like everyone else, pretty much. But there was something about _____. She seemed to be genuine....genuinely nervous. Is it cliche to be attracted to shy girls? Eh, who cares, right?

 I seriously wish I could talk right now.

That would be helpful.

All I can do is bow and smile.

And dance, I guess.

But somehow, she kind of made my forget myself for a second, and I waved to her.

I waved.

What prince does that...

She seemed to like it though; she smiled and waved back! 

I grinned, too, and bowed, offering my hand to her again. This time she seemed less nervous? I hope...