Chapter 4

Once Upon a Curse

A/N: You dress shall be http://www.bestquinceanera.com/products/big/20110625004228.jpg with the lovely http://shop.samanthapeach.co.uk/media/sep2011/ss_size1/black-fandango-masquerade-mask.JPG to accompany it.


Your POV

Tonight. It's tonight. Why am I freaking out? It's just a stupid ball with the stupid prince. The stupid good looking prince. That can't even talk. Wait, did I say good looking? What is going on? Ugh.

I buried myself in the covers, annoying my shivering baby brother. 

"_____! Give me the blanketttt~" He whined, pulling most of it off me. It wasn't even that cold, jeez. Now that I can't go back to sleep, I pulled myself up and threw my pillow onto Taemin. I snuck past Key's dad's room, stopping to listen to the soft snoring. I really hope he's getting better.

"Key~ Good morning...I guess..." Key smiled at me as I ran my hands through my hair. He pushed a plate of food towards me then left to the front. He was putting the finishing touches on my dress, but wouldn't let me see. 

"Just wait there, _____~ I want to surprise you!" I heard the sound of fabric rustling against more fabric and imagined the ugly mess my step-mother had designed for me. Gross.

"First things first," Key bounced in carrying a wooden box tied with a simple black ribbon. "That strange guy that always smells like chicken brought this in the other day. I think you'll like it. Even I do, and that's saying something!"

I smiled and took the box from his hands, pulling on the ribbon to untie it. Inside was a simple black mask, adorned with a few feathers. It was perfect. "Aigoo, so pretty~ Does it match with the dress you won't let me see?"

"You can be the judge of that!" Key pulled out a large garment bag and hung it on a hook near the large mirrors by the measurment pedastal thing. He carefully pulled the zipper down and unveiled a beautiful gown. It was mainly black with green accents on the bodice, and the corset was held together with satin emerald green ribbon. And, of course, it sparkled. 

"Wh-what?! You can't be serious, Key!" 

"...You don't like it?" 

"No! I mean, yes! I love it! But...I can't pull something that extravagant off..." I took a step closer, just to make sure it was really there. I would never be allowed to wear anything that beautiful if my step mother could help it.

"Nonsense! Put it on now so I can make sure it's perfect!" Key pulled a curtain around the pedestal, creating a private room. He stepped out and held the curtain for me, making sure it was pulled all the way shut so I could change in peace. He was way too nice to be real sometimes.

"Omo, it's....amazing!" Key pulled on the ribbon, tightening the corset around my waist. I could barely breathe, but like it would matter. I actually felt...beautiful.

"Ok, just stand still while I make the final adjustments. Ahh, if only I had some device that could capture this moment. Sigh."


Jonghyun POV

Jeez, Key really knows how to make my clothes. I mean, I'm already good looking, but oh baby! Ok, I'll shut up now. Well, not really. The ball's tonight! Mom had everyone in the kingdom busy with preparations and final details, which left my, my adorable puppy Roo, and my annoying older sister. 

"Jjooooooooong~ Help me out, please~" Ugh. Might as well.

What's up, 'sis? I leaned against her doorframe and checked the mirror to make sure my face looked as uninterested as I felt.

"Tie this, please?" She motioned to the dangling ribbons at the bottom of her corset thing. Why do girls wear those? If they're not skinny, what's the point in faking it? And if they are skinny...then, no comment. I pulled on the ribbons as tightly as I could and watched her face cringe. Muahahaha. After tying it, I grinned. Boy, I love messing with her. "Jeez, can you pull any harder?!"

You asked me for the help! I stuck my tongue out at her and left. She "hmphed" and that was that. What to do now? Roo's asleep, probably. I guess I should finish getting ready.


Your POV

"Key, you seriously are the best. How can I ever pay you for this?!" 

"As long as you never hand me another disgusting sketch again, consider this a payment for you!" He smiled and my heart skipped a beat. Wait, no, I'm going to the ball to meet the prince. Key is just a friend...yeah, just a friend.

"Hey, Key, I'm hun- woah, big sis!" Taemin poked my rib and grinned. "Wah! If you marry the prince then we REALLY don't have to see that evil woman again!"

"Hey, shut up!" I nudged his shoulder and turned to pick up the mask. "So...how am I supposed to get there? I'm not walking, right? I mean, these shoes are nice and all, but the castle's on top of a hill, and I don't think I'll make it..."

Key shook his head and grinned. Why was his smile making me feel like this? "Aigoo, it's a good thing I think of everything! The chicken guy is going to deliver some food, so he's taking a carriage, and said you can have a ride. I know it's not the best, but you won't have to worry about waiting in line after all the girls since he's important and all. I'm like a fairy god...father? Yeah!"

I couldn't believe I was really going. I mean, I know this may sound really corny, but going to the ball...dressed like this...really made me feel like a princess. Or at least a girl of the upper class. 

"Ahh, he's here. Have fun, and don't worry. You're beautiful." Key took the mask out my hands and placed it over my eyes. He smoothed out my hair, quickly putting it in a messy low bun. "Perfect."

I waved goodbye and climbed up front with Onew. The inside of the carriage smelled like, well, meat, and I didn't want to smell like that in front of the prince. Onew got the carriage and I looked back, waving again. Stop it, Key. I can't feel this way about you...


Sorry, still experimenting with POVs XD 
But yeah! This is a JONGHYUNxYou fic, so don't worry. Things will clear up, but who can help it? Key's like...awesome. Ok. I'm done.