Chapter 3

Once Upon a Curse

Jonghyun POV

My stomach grumbled as the smell of my lunch wafted up into my nose. I decided I would share with my best friend, because best friends do that kind of thing. I waited for like two minutes before he finally answered the door, and he was still in his pajamas. Weeeeird.

"Jjong! What a...surprise! One second!" Slam! Did he jus shut the door in my face?! Maybe I won't share my lunch after all. Hmph. After another two minutes or so, the door opened an he smiled nervously at me. He let me in, but kept glancing around like he was being watched.

"Uhh. Well. Don't mind me..." Key slipped around the corner, still acting suspiciously. He came back a few minutes later, dressed and with all his sewing stuff. He also had a garment bag that was nice and sparkly. "Here it is! Don't worry about paying me yet...see you at the ball!" 

He pushed me out. PUSHED. ME OUT. Kim Kibum, if you weren't my best friend...well... I don't know what I'd do, but hmph! I slung the garment bag over my shoulder and internally groaned. I left my lunch inside. Wahhh. 


Your POV

"I got rid of him! That was close, oh my gosh. " Key sank into a kitchen chair, holding a bag of food. "But he bought us lunch! Kind of..."

It was nearly noon, and Taemin was still asleep. I had gotten up earlier to use the bathroom and found Key asleep on the couch, accidentally waking him up. He seemed exhausted...

"Key...are you really ok with us staying here? I mean, you have the shop, and your dad..."
"Aigoo, as long as you don't go back to that horrible woman! Anyways, we only have one day to make you a new dress! I am NOT letting you leave this house in that disgusting piece of -"

  "I'm not going to the ball."

"...what?!"

"That's the only night Taemin and I can sneak away. Everyone will be at the castle, so I figured we could get into the forest and find our way into the Jungle Kingdom...somehow..." 

"You can't not go! I'm not allowing this. If you want to stay here, you have to go!" 

"But..."

"Nope. We'll get you out some other way, but you're going to that stupid ball! Jonghyun needs to fall in love and, well, you'd just help his chances. He's probably already intrigued that you didn't freak out about him last time, that self righteous bast -"

"Me?! No no no...what?"

"Trust me! Ok?"

"I can't marry the...the...PRINCE. Key! No!"

"But why not? That'd be so cool! You can be like Cinderella or something! You already have the evil step mom part down."

"But...how do you know it'd be me? There are so many pretty girls in this kingdom! I'm so...plain..."

"Uhh, that's why you have me, silly!" Key dragged me back to the shop, pushing me onto the podium thing again. He held different fabrics up to my face, looking for my "color". I sighed in defeat. One does not simply argue with the almighty Key and expect to win.

A few hours later, Key was busy sewing, and Taemin had resorted to giving himself a "makeover" with Key's closet. Somehow, the two pulled off pink quite well. I wondered what I could do to help, but anytime I asked, Key would just brush me off. I didn't dare disturb his father, even though I was still worried, and Taemin was just having too much fun on his own, so I decided to make dinner for everyone. 

Thankfully, Onew's shop wasn't too far, so I could stealthily get inside without the chance of my stepmother seeing me. The bell bounced off the door and landed on the floor when I opened it, causing Onew to jump up in surprise and hit his head against the tabletop he was under for some reason. 

"Hi, Onew~ I need to make dinner for four today...do you have anything on sale?"

"_____~! I always have something on sale for you!" Onew grinned, causing his eyes to seem to close, and he disappeared through a door, only to appear behind the main counter moments later. After telling him what I needed, I sat down and looked around, finding a poster concerning the ball. 

Dear Citizens, 

Concerning the upcoming ball, none shall be admitted without a lovely mask! Remember, it's what's inside that counts the most! So don't try to seduce my son based on looks alone, you unsophosticated girls! Have an extravagant time, and please refrain from unruly behavior!

Her Majesty, the Queen

"A mask?! I don't have time for this!"

"_____, do you need anything else?" Onew handed me my meat, which was neatly packaged and sealed with a cute smiley face sticker. "We have a special on turkey today, too!"

"Aigoo, it's ok~ You know where I can find a mask for the stupid ball?"

"STUPID?! I think it's going to be the coolest party ever! Prince Jonghyun throws the best parties, and I even get to serve my special chicken there! You can't say it's stupid!"

"Omo, sorry Onew! It's just that, well, I was planning to do something else, but Key's making me go..."

"It's ok; but I think I can help you find your mask! What color is your dress?"

"It's emerald green. Key said it makes my hair look magical, haha."

"Keke, follow me~"


Jonghyun POV

Aigooooooo. The ball is tomorrow. And my feet hurt from all this stupid walking! I'm finally back at the castle, but I wish I still had my sandwich. Simple food tastes so good after having to eat fancy food all the time. This royalty stuff isn't that fun, hmph. 

I opened the garment bag from Key and saw that he really overdid himself this time. The suit was tailored and jet black (probably so I wouldn't clash with anyone at the ball; silly Key), and it had a subtle, dark gray satin trim. And it had those tail things in the back that look super cool*! I think I'll wear my top hat...it makes me look taller, anyway, keke.

"Jjong~~" Ugh, that could only be one other person than my mother. "Where is my favorite brother in the whole entire world?!"

I'm your only brother.

"Oh, there you are! Still can't talk? Sheesh, you'd think someone like you could get a girl by now."

Sorry if I don't like playing with people's hearts like you do, big sis.

"Anyways, I'm gonna put my stuff down~ Mind helping? My bags are kind of heavy."

But you're only staying two days, aigoo.

I smiled at her since that's all I could do, but once her back was facing me, I stuck my tongue out at her. TAKE THAT SISTER. MEHRONGGGG. Stupid ball ruining everything, ugh.


This is what I mean by coat tail thing:

suit_morning_00.jpg

Just imagine the whole thing black and super fitted to Jjong's ay muscles. Ok. Bye.