Chapter 5

Once Upon a Curse

Hello all! I just wanted to say thanks for the comments and subs ^^ I hope you're enjoying the story so far <3


Your POV

"Thanks for the ride, Onew. I appreciate it~" Even though he worked in a deli all day, Onew was surprisingly young. Whenever he smiled, he looked like a kid. It was cute. 

"Don't sweat it! I mean, I was passing by anyways...and I promised I'd help you!" The carriage started to slow once we neared the castle. There was a huge line of fancy carriages near the entrance, and this poor guard had to announce everyone. for him.

"Key said we don't have to wait, right?" My step mother was probably somewhere nearby; she can't know I'm here! 

"Nahh, there's a side entrance for people like me! I'll make sure you get in safely~"


Jonghyun POV

Omomomomomo. The ball is starting. Why am I so nervous? I shouldn't be nervous. At least I can't talk...I would probably make a fool of myself. Just smile and nod, Jonghyun. Smile and nod. 

Why are there so many girls in this kingdom? My mom only invited this kingdom, right? She better have.

"Jjong, dear! Why are you not dancing?! Go meet someone!" My mom pushed me towards the dance floor and I bowed at the nearest girl. She was decent, I guess, but not much can be said when someone giggles for five minutes straight. Ugh, this night is going to take forever.

"Well, your time is up, child. Scurry along now~" An old lady pulled the girl I was dancing with away from me. Eww, she was REALLY old. Wait, no, I don't want to dance with YOU! Go away, oh my gosh. "Your Highness."

She bowed, and I bowed (only to be polite, of course). 

"Sorry to bother, but if you see a girl that looks like this," she held up a picture of a seemingly normal girl. "I would suggest you stay away! She escaped somehow, and she isn't quite right in the head, you see. Don't be alarmed, I'll find her soon enough. She can't afford anything nice, so it shouldn't be too hard to spot her...I'll be on my way, Your Highness!"

She left. Huh. Well, that was weird. The girl in the picture looked vaguely familiar though...maybe I saw her in town the other day. Whatever.

"Ah, Your Highness, a girl has just entered with that deli guy. Should I make her go through the front?" Ahh, Minho. Always so serious. I shook my head and gestured for him to let her in. Why not? "As you wish."

I was about to turn around and find someone else to dance with, but I had to look back. Woah. Minho was guiding a really, really pretty girl in. Ok, that sounds really shallow, but I haven't met her, so there. But, she was so...pretty. And her dress had green! My favorite color! Everyone else was wearing pink or purple, and well, that wasn't really my taste. Jeez, there I go again, sounding all shallow. Oh, here she comes!

"Your Highness, the girl I was telling you about." She seemed nervous. Who wouldn't be next to Minho? He was so freaking tall. Or maybe I'm just short. I bowed and she curtsied, kind of awkwardly I might add. Maybe she's not used to dressing up? Or maybe I'm just so good looking, it made her nervous, haha. Just kidding! Seriously! Anyways.


Your POV

I wanted to scream. I was actually there...in front of the prince! At the BALL! I hope my step mother didn't say anything to him...

"Y-your Highness. I'm ______, nice to meet you?" I'm a wreck. "I mean, yes it's nice to meet you, sorry..."

But he just smiled. Because he can't talk. So...awkward...

He held his hand out and bowed slightly, so I took it. And we were dancing. I've never danced before, so I probably stepped on his foot. Multiple times. Aish.

The song ended, so I curtsied again. It seemed like he didn't want to stop, but there was a line. He shrugged, eyes lingering in mine for a brief moment, then bowed again. So much for sweeping me off my feet and dancing the night away...


Jonghyun POV

She seemed so nervous, but who can blame her? Hehe, oh well. I hope I can dance with her again! She was so...real. Wow, corny much? But all these other girls kept batting their fake eyelashes and laughing at nothing, which was kind of creepy after a while, and they all seemed so...fake. Yes, that's a good word. 

Before bowing to my next dance partner, I turned to look at her again. She had gone to get something to drink, or powder her nose, or something. I wanted to follow her, not in a creepy way of course, but I was just curious, ok? For some reason, I felt like it was somewhat meant to be. We even matched!

Wait.

We matched.

This could only be one person's doing! That Key...well, he'll know who she is. I can find her then! Oh, I should probably stop staring and get back to dancing.


Third Person POV

The queen watched her son staring at the girl in the black and green dress. So, maybe he wasn't in love yet, but this interest was something, right?

"Minho! Go find out who that girl is and make sure she doesn't leave!" Minho was the most trusted guard at the castle, so he was always stuck with tasks such as that. He bowed and made his way towards her. She seemed nice enough.

"Excuse me miss, but the queen has requested you stay. Do you mind?" Minho tried to appear friendly, but his height and overall serious demeanor was kind of intimidating.

"I-i...the queen?! I m-mean, yes, of course..." She followed Minho back into the ballroom, and awkwardly took in her surroundings. The castle was beautiful, but what kind of castle isn't? 

The walk back was short, but she felt strange. The queen had requested she stay, but for what reason? Were all the girls getting called back? Minho held the large door open for her and she gave her thanks, quietly making her way in.

"YOU! " Oh no.

Her step mother marched towards her, impatience and anger in her eyes. "What are you doing here?! And where....nevermind! You're coming home and we're getting your brother, too!"

She grabbed her wrist and started to pull her out; Minho hadn't noticed since there were so many others around him. 

"Let go of me! You have no right to do this!" She tried as hard as she could to free herself, but her step mother's hand held on tightly. Some girls stopped to stare, but figured one less girl meant less competition, and didn't offer any help. She looked back and the prince was dancing with yet another, but with an impatient look about him. "...please?"