Chapter 4

My secret: The promise I made that day

-The meaning-

 

 

"What just happened?" Dahyun was dumbfounded at event that had occurred in the room. She shook her head trying to dismiss the fast turn of events, so she decided to do something else. She proceeded to grab the music notebook in her bag, and finish composing the song that she will send for her assignment. The moment she placed her fingers on the black and white keys on the piano, she felt the warmth of the girl who previously sat beside her, and all her concentration went to it.

Dahyun sighed in defeat, and decided that it was best if she left the room for a change in scenery. She checked her phone for the time, and it was around 5:00. It was still too early, and she didn't really feel like going home yet. In the end she decided to go visit her childhood friend in the art room. She then packed her things, and fixed herself before leaving to the art room.

It was two floors up, and Dahyun was walking straight―letting her feet pace in the halls of the school. Once she reached the floor, she looked around. It was a floor filled with drawings, paintings, and sculptures. Infact, there is not a bulletin board in sight that didn't have a drawing on there―all except for the main bulletin in front of the staircase. She glided her feet on the school's corridors. She passed by every room, and appreciated the art of the students. All were excellent works of art... But to Dahyun, it was a simple bland portrait.

Once she reached the room by the end of the corridor, she sees paintings and sketches of weird taste. They were all doodles, and each drawing looked like as if it told a weird story. One canvas is filled with abstract art that Dahyun never really understood, but it somewhat had a nostalgic feel. She knew who's artstyle it was, the signature on the bottom left corner solidified her stand for it.

She opened the door of the room. There she saw Chaeyoung in the middle of it with a brush on hand, and a pallet on the other. Dahyun smiled at the warm sight. She needed this, as it felt comfortable and right to her. She then proceeded to walk towards the girl painting. Once she was behind her, she saw the girl pointing her paintbrush on a bowl of fruits. One eye was closed and the other concentrated on the image infront of her. The girl then paced the paintbrush to the canvas and started painting.

"Mmmm, here, there and.... DONE!~" The little cub exclaimed, while puffing out her chest proudly. She then reached out for the signing pen, and prooceeded to sign the lower right half of the canvas. Once she was finished when she noticed the presence of someone behind her. She looked back, and the moment she saw Dahyun, she stood up from her seat, and gave the girl a hug. "Unnie!~" the girl squealed in glee. After letting go of the hug, she stretched out her hand prompting the girl for a homie handshake. Dahyun returned the shake, and smiled.

"So, what'cha painting there Chae?" Dahyun voiced out, and dropped her bag on the floor.

"It's my new creation. BEHOLD!~" The younger one gestured her hands as to present the painting. "I call it, Banana split!" she cheered for herself and clapped, earning a soft giggle from Dahyun.

Dahyun checked the painting―making sure to scan every detail of the work―and she grimaced at the over all end product. The whole canvas was colored plum fading out everywhere, there was a drawing of two bananas which are parallel to each other in the middle of the portrait with lots of grapes, apples, and oranges scattered everywhere―including the gap between the two bananas. It was a bit of a stretch, and if Dahyun was given a chance to interpret it, she would just say that it was another one of the rough sketches and doodles that the younger one managed to make.

"I don't really see it..." Dahyun muttered out, and sighed in defeat. 

"Why? What can't you see? It's a good painting!" she exclaimed, and pointed the tip of her brush at the canvas. "The two banana's were supossed to be a pair, but they are separated by lot's of fruits marking them separate" she explained, and looked down.

"Uhuh, I see... But how did the basket of fruits become that?" Dahyun asked, and tilted her head. "You were so concentrated on the fruits that I thought you were trying to copy it or something" she stated.

"Elementary my dear Dubs, It's elementary!" Chaeyoung said, and made a finger camera. "It's called image training" chaeyoung said, fixating her view on the baskets of fruits. "Getting the life of the fruits, and turning them into a story is something not all artists do, but must try!" she exclaimed, and looked at Dahyun who was still lost in her thought making the little cub sigh. "I mean think about it, don't you think it's more fun to make a story out of everything? I don't want to just copy a portrait, I want to tell a story" she expounded. 

Dahyun nodded at this, and laid herself back on the painter's seat. She was pondering about it, seriously trying to give it some thought while still looking at the painting. Chaeyoung noticed this, and smiled at  her. "You will get it soon, it's hard to explain. Just think about it for some time" Chaeyoung ended with a smile. 

The younger girl looked at Dahyun for a while, and her eyes widened with realization. "What are you doing here unnie? You never really go here without a good reason" she asked.

Dahyun hummed softly, and pulled a chair nearby before sitting on it. "I needed a change of space I guess... I couldn't concentrate back in the music room" she explained.

Chaeyoung nodded, and let out a snuffle. She was about to say somthing, when she got cut off by a voice from behind.

"That's weird, you don't usually lose concentration easily" The two girls traced where the voice came from. Upon looking back, their eyes were laid on a certain familiar tall figure. Dahyun softly smiled, while Chaeyoung nodded in agreement. Tzuyu then went to the two girls, and gave them a social kiss on their cheeks. She then proceeded to hug the little cub from behind―not forgetting to rest her chin on top of the head of the girl.

"Yeah, I agree Tzuyu-ah" Chaeyoung said, and crossed her hands. "Something must have happened for you to lose focus" she continued.

Dahyun nodded slightly, then smiled sheepishly remembering the girl who barged in the music room.

"I bet it's a guy" Tzuyu stated.

"I haven't really talked to any guys recently... I rather mingle with people I am comfortable with" Dahyun said lightly looking down. The two maknae's agreed―knowing Dahyun who didn't really want to be with anyone.

"A girl then?" Chaeyoung joked making Dahyun's eyes widen for a while. Tzuyu noticed this then smiled "This girl has got to be special if she made our Dahyun unnie like this" she joked.

"Well, not really. She is beautiful though. And she can sing, I'd say she is gifted with a natural talent" Dahyun stated, making the two maknae's look at each other for a while.

-----------

"HACHOOBABababa!" Sana sneezed, making the girl beside her look in worry.

"Bless you" Mina said, and caressed the girl's shoulder as to alleviate any discomfort caused by the sneeze.

"Thank you Minari-chan~" Sana said, and rested her head by the shoulders of the girl.

"Are having a cold?" Mina asked, as she held her books in a tight embrace.

"Not really, I don't think so" Sana replied with a sigh.

"Maybe someone is talking about you" Momo suggested, and started to change her indoor shoes to her outdoor shoes.

Sana's head perked up at this, all the while resting her index finger on her chin―closed her eyes. She hummed lightly. "Maybe, I hope it's not something bad" She stated, remembering the tofu who was playing piano. She smiled at the thought,which was quickly got cut by a hungry Momo.

"Let's hurry! I want to have some Jokbal" she complained, and formed a circle with her index fingers and thumbs. "I'm hungry already" she stated before dragging her hand towards the two girls. "you know what I'm saying?" she ended, earning a hearty laugh by the other two.

-----------

"It's getting pretty late, I will probably rest back home and try to write there" Dahyun said, and grabbed her bag. She then stared at the painting one more time. Chaeyoung noticed this, and pat the girl on the shoulder.

"Still trying to decipher the painting?"

Dahyun nodded, and smiled "Hopefully I will get to know the story you want me to see there" she said, and excused herself out.

"Of course you will!" Chaeyoung smiled and agreed, while looking at the girl. "I mean, you we're the one who thought it to me unnie".

"Bye unnie~" The tall girl said, never letting go of the cub.

Chaeyoung then looked at Tzuyu, and deadpanned. "Hey Tzuyu, how long will you stay like that?" She asked, earning a shrug from the taller one.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! GET OFF OF ME!" she said, pushing the Jaw of Tzuyu away―trying her best to slip out of the girl's grasp.

"OW! Geez! it's not like you will get any taller if I let go of you anyways, OUCH!" she stated, earning a smack from the smaller one.

 

( * )

 

The day has started, and it was already the end of the school week. "Thank God it's friday am I right? WRONG!" even at the end of the week, trouble still settles on her mind. Dahyun sighed in defeat, not knowing what to do anymore since inspiration comes and goes like no tomorrow. And to make matters worse, her contacts finally needed calibration and a change in prescription―seeing as the lenses have already faded―so she ended up going to school with her giant black round-glasses. Never forgetting about the hot weather, she wore light clothing. And decided that it's best to go meet up with one of her unnie's―her closest one―and go to in times of troubles, "Jihyo". She sets forth to the student council office.

Dahyun guided her feet toward's the center of the school's hall. All the important offices were there―including the student council. Jihyo has always been a leader figure ever since they were in middle school, and Dahyun appreciated all the girl's works―most especially in regards to herself. The moment she steps foot infront of the double door of the room, she knocked twice―making sure to give time for reaction. A few moments later, she fixed the glasses that slid down the bridge of her nose, took a deep breath, twisted the doorknob, and noticed it was unlocked. Dahyun then opened it slowly, peering to see the events being partaken inside the room.

"Excuse me, I'm entering the room" she mumbled softly, while slowly pushing the door open. She then noticed two voices fighting over something. Once the door was fully opened, the two girls stopped their talk, and both girls looked at Dahyun. The girl with big eyes landed at Dahyun's dark ones, and smiled.The girl who was infront of Jihyo smiled intently, and had a look of relief.

"Is this a bad time...?" Dahyun voiced out.

"Dahyun-ah! You came in at a perfect time!" The girl then rushed to Dahyun, and gave her a back hug―locking her in place. Jihyo sighed, and shook her head with her arms crossed at the rebellious individual. "Jihyo is being mean to me" she spat out with a pout as the girl continued to hug Dahyun.

"Sana... I am just following school rules, and making sure everyone here follows them" Jihyo sighed in defeat, and rested her hand by her desk while looking at the brown haired girl.

"But it's HOT!" Sana screeched, making Dahyun squint. "Plus it says in the rule books that students can wear their outfit however they want to!" she argued.

"That's true..." Jihyo said, and walked towards Sana fixing her attire. "But it also states that you must only have one button open maximum" she said while buttoning the girl's top. "And your skirt must at least be above knees and below thighs" she stated, making sure to do careful measurements. "Your neck tie please" Jihyo asked, with one hand reaching out. Sana gestured on her left pocket, which Jihyo reached out to after sighing. She then proceeded to fix the tie of Sana giving the girl a warm thanks.

"These two forgot about me..." Dahyun looked at Jihyo with a face of disappointment before coughing twice.

"Yes Dahyunnie?" Sana asked, while looking down on the girl.

"Can you let go of me please?" Dahyun requested earning a hum from the brown haired girl. Once she realized that the girl won't let her go, she signalled Jihyo to help her out. Jihyo smiled at the girl―if it wasn't for Dahyun, she wouldn't even had a chance to deal with the troublesome girl―so she nodded as a reply.

"Ok Sana, didn't you say you had to meet up with some one a while ago?" Jihyo asserted, making the Japanese girl jump and hit her head lightly.

"How can I forget! Minari-chan!" she said as she let go of Dahyun, waved her hand goodbye, then rushed out of the room scrolling through her phone.

"She's scary" Dahyun commented, while fixing her glasses.

"More like a handfull..." Jihyo added with a sigh before going back to her seat behind the desk. She then gestured Dahyun to close the door behind her, and sit in front of her. Dahyun obliged, and finished the task given to her.

"So, it's rare for you to go here unless you want to talk about something" she said, scanning the girl infront of her. "Is there something you want to talk about?" she asked.

Dahyun sighed, and rested her head on Jihyo's desk before looking up at Jihyo. "I feel distressed or something... I write and write, but can't seem to make a satisfying piece" she said, while playing with the pen lying on the desk with paperworks―probably due to the clubs asking for a higher budget or new room assignments. Stuff that troubles the student body and obviously, stuff that she wouldn't even care about. "I lost motivation to write I guess?" she added.

Jihyo looked at Dahyun, and smiled. It was times like these that she felt like an older sister to the girl more than a counselor. She was pretty sure Dahyun knows the answer to her problem already, but chooses to listen and answer accordingly. She fixed the paperworks on her desk, and placed a stapler on top of it to make sure that it doesn't fly everywhere before speaking. "Why so?" she questioned never forgetting to let out a pleasing smile.

Dahyun groaned in contemplation. She burried her face on her free arm not knowing what to say. She decided to shrug it off instead.

The older girl giggled at the younger girls acts. She wished that she would be more open to everyone, that she would bring down her walls so that everyone can see her true self. Yet, she knew that it wouldn't be easy due to her past incident. So she let out a deep breath, and caressed the the hair of the pale girl. "I think you are doing fine Dahyun" she muttered, making the girl look at her with a hearty smile.

 

( * )

 

It was lunch break, and Dahyun was threading her feet towards the cafeteria. She had a message from Chaeyoung that she wanted to eat together. Dahyun didn't want to join, but after a bit of persuasion, she finally gave up and accepted―she had nothing to lose anyways right? WRONG!. The moment she stepped in the cafteria floor, she felt the instant regret of being persuaded. She was about to step back, when she heard the softest voice shout at her.

"Dahyun-ah!" light brown eyes were staring at her direction. Long extended waves were being motioned at her. It was too late for backing out, so she lightly waved her hand while showing a small sheepish smile. "This girl... I can't cope up with her" she internally sighed, before walking to the table.

Chaeyoung who was drinking her strawberry smoothie watched their interaction. She was surprised to say the least, she never expected to see those two as friends. Infact, this was probably the first time Sana joined them in the table, and they were already acquainted. Chaeyoung stopped drinking for a while and called Dahyun to sit beside her. Once Dahyun was next to her, she gestured her arm high for a homie handshake, which was returned by the pale girl. "YOOOOOO!" she screamed out after the act, and hugged her unnie. Everyone in the table watched them and giggled.

"I didn't know you were acquainted with Sana, unnie" Tzuyu sayd which was followed up by Mina as an agreement which was directed to Sana.

"Yeah, I met her sometime earlier this week" Sana said with eyes shining. Dahyun let out a shy breath while playing with her fingers. This wasn't left unnoticed by the two. Tzuyu and Mina knew their unnie's well enough to know if something's up. They both took a mental note while moving on to the next topic.

The table was filled with 7 girls, there was Tzuyu, Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon at one side while the other had the J-trinity.  The table was noisy with Dahyun observing the conversations while munching on the sandwich she bought. She felt awkward, but listening in to the conversations made her feel better. She didn't like the big crowd, but seeing how relaxed the atmosphere was, she felt fine.

Minutes pass by, when Jihyo and Nayeon arrived at the scene. Nayeon had a script on her hand, while Jihyo was holding a clipboard over her arms. They joined the table, and Dahyun couldn't help but notice that Nayeon was staring at her. Almost as if she was checking her out. Dahyun looked away trying to hide the blush on her cheeks. She didn't like the attention.

Jeongyeon noticed this, and lightly flicked the forehead of the girl. "Yo, what are you doing? Can't you see that the girl is uncomfortable with what you're... doing?!" she stated.

"Ow! I know, but I really can't help but feel like I've seen her somewhere before..." she stated, thinking hard not forgetting the huge glasses. Not everyone wears something that excessive, and she knew that the fashion these days were about fixed rectangular frames or clubmasters or something. She just couldn't point her finger at it.

"Well, you better stop it as early as now before she thinks you're weird" Jeongyeon claimed.

"Right..." Nayeon said now reading her script.

Jihyo noticed Dahyun's discomfort, and excused herself signalling Dahyun to follow. Dahyun nodded and followed after excusing herself too. She looked at Jihyo with an eyebrow up, asking what's up. Jihyo shook her head and hummed softly "Nothing, you just look like you needed the fresh air" she stated.

Dahyun looked at the girl and appreciated the act. "Thanks unnie" she said with a smile.

 

( * )

 

It was dismissal, and Dahyun was in the art room where Chaeyoung made the painting. Chaeyoung needed to do an errand for her parents and left  early, while Tzuyu had dance practice. She wanted to go to the old music room, but decided to go here instead―since she can't seem to find the right notes, nor does she have any inspiration to compose anyways. She was looking at the painting, there was something about it that she wanted to find, and felt restless. "I don't think I can sleep tonight..." she thought to herself, still trying to decipher the message of the painting. After a while, she sighed deeply and sat back.

"That's one heavy sigh you got there" A soft voice from behind enunciated.

Dahyun flinched and looked at the source. Her heart sank seeing who it was. She then looked at the painting trying her best not to make eye contact. She was about to excuse herself, when she felt long arms pull her from behind. Once again, she was stuck in a very dangerous situation.

"That's a nice painting" she stated.

Dahyun knew she couldn't get away no matter what she tried, so instead of escaping, she gave up. It happened too many times, that she got tired of trying and accepted her fate instead. "Yeah... Chaeyoung painted it" she said, making the girl smile.

"She's a good painter" Sana commented, making the younger girl nod in agreement. She was happy knowing that the girl finally accepted her advances, and finally decided to talk to her properly than running away.

"Yeah... she is" Dahyun said, and scanned the painting again. "She said that it's called banana split" the pale girl added. "She always had the artistic talent ever since she was small... Still is! but... you get what I mean" she added, earning a soft gigle from the girl. "What are you doing here by the way?" she asked before looking at the girl behind her. This ended up with Sana humming, then shrugging.

"I saw you go in, and decided to follow you" Sana muttered.

Dahyun looked at her not impressed, and rephrased the question "I mean, you are from the west wing... this is the east".

"Ahh, I accompanied Mina and Momo to their room" she answered.

Dahyun nodded at this, they were dance majors, and Dahyun had no other questions to ask. So instead, she continued to scan the painting.

"You look so concentrated at the painting Dahyunnie" the older one stated.

"Dahyunnie..." she looked at the girl with a deadpanned expression. "What's up with the countless pet names?" she thought to herself, before speaking up. "Yeah... Chaeyoung said something about it telling a story, yet I can't seem to decipher it" she ended.

Sana hummed and scanned the painting before smiling. She then laughed softly which made the younger one look up at her. "What don't you get from the painting?" she asked, earning a shrug from the girl. "I'm not an art major, nor can I appreciate art like Mina but the story is definitely clear" she stated.

Dahyun looked at the girl wide-eyed "What do you mean?".

"From the name itself, banana split means it's a story about the two banana's and how the other fruits separated the two" she said pointing at the two yellow figures in the middle first, then everywhere that's not the two. "It is a somewhat sad story, but I guess it depends on how the viewer sees it" she added. "It's a pretty art-style too, nothing too flashy" she commented.

Dahyun looked at the painting once more. The girl was right, the story depends on how the person views it. "The two banana's are separated by the other fruits but... they are still a pair" she thought to herself smiling. Finally she got the story, she can sleep in peace. "Right, thanks for that, unnie" she said smiling. It was the first time in a while that she took down her walls to someone new.

"Please, call me Sana" she said smiling back at the girl.

"unnie..." the pale girl muttered softly.

Sana shook her head and corrected the girl "Repeat after me, Sa... Na".

"Sa... Sana unnie" Dahyun said softly looking away.

"Yes, Dahyun-chan?" she said while hugging the younger girl tightly.

tbc

---------------------------

Author's note:

Hey guys! Nice to see you back (Not really, can't see you hehehehe) from this story.

I already Made a different page for the short story which is seen right here. Please do check it out and subscribe to it. I will be posting some chapters that can't be seen in the main story line (Since it is not related) but, it won't harm the story itself. I also made sure about using it for easter eggs on the story soon. By the way, have I mentioned I will be writing power ships there?

Anyways, thanks for reading again! Till next time~