Chapter 7

My secret: The promise I made that day

-Family matters-

 

 

"Onii-San!~" Dahyun spoke excitedly while still checking on the box.

"Huehuehue!~ the one and only~" the boy stated, while doing a gentleman's bow.

The girl smiled at the boy's action.

"I'm here too~" A girl on her late 20's appeared.

"Auntie" Dahyun said with a clear smile.

"Aww, how come I only get an auntie, while this weeb here gets a fun 'onii-san' as a pet name?" The girl pouted, and wiped a fake tear. "Call me oba-san too~" she said while doing finger hearts.

"Stop that auntie, you're too old for that" the brother said in a deadpan expression, earning a smack from the girl.

"Anyways, come in Dahyun~ I made some hot chocolate" the older girl stated, while gesturing for the pale girl to go in.

"Yeah, you will definietely freeze your off out there... Unless you like those kind of things that is" the brother said with a smug face. Dahyun tilted her head slightly showing how clueless the girl was.

"Don't teach our little Dahyun these things, she's still too young!" the older girl spat.

"So was mom though..." the boy said in a soft voice earning a slap from the older girl, and a face of curiosity from the little sister.

"Yah! Go carry the package inside you useless excuse for a brother!" the older girl said, with one of her hand resting at the back and the other has one finger pointed up.

"Like you're any useful..." the boy muttered lightly.

"Are you trying to say something Ta-e-hyu-ng?" the older girl stated with a serious face.

"Nothing..." he said, and whispered "slob...".

"What was that!?" the older girl asked in a scary tone.

"Nothing!~" the boy said playfully.

"That's what I thought" the older girl said, while watching the boy carry the package. "The only good thing you have is that pretty face, geez" she added.

"At least I got something of use... unlike someone I kno- OW!" the boy was cut by a kick from the older girl. This made Taehyung drop the package on his toe. The boy screached in pain from what happened, and held tight on his aching parts.

"Serves you right!" the older woman spat.

"Taeyeon oba-san is a demon! Get back you spawn of sata- OW!" the boy was about to retort, when he got kicked once more.

"Are you okay oppa?" Dahyun asked with genuine concern.

"Ahh, yes my kawaii imouto! At least I know that I got you to take care of me~" the boy stated, earning a slight gag from the older girl.

"Come on Dahyun, he's fine~ Let's leave him to do his thing~" she stated, as she dragged the pale skinned girl inside.

The conversation inside the house was filled with recollections, and a bit of catching up during their times away. It had a cozy and familiar vibe, and even if the conversation was about something small―like how they were doing in school―she enjoyed every second of it. She even talked about the assignment she had about composing a sheet, which she had a hard time with. She missed moments like these. Infact, her heart yearns for it so much, that she didn't want this moment to end. But alas, she knew that it wouldn't be so.

"How long will you guys be staying here?" Dahyun asked, with a hint of sadness on the tone of her voice.

"Until the end of the week" Taeyeon stated, while sipping on her hot coffee.

"I see..." Dahyun's smile shrunk, but never faded. She played with her mug with hot chocolate, already half way empty from being consumed.

"Okay! time to eat, I made everyones favorite chicken curry~" the brother stated, as he served the dishes on the table.

"Yaaay!~Thanks Taehyung~ You finally carried your weight" The older girl stated, rushing straight to the table.

"Yeah, and you haven't done anything ye- OW!" the boy said before getting kicked on the shin once again. "What's wrong with you?!" he said, while rubbing his shin.

"What's wrong with me? Maybe next time you can show me some respect! Most especially in front of Dahyun!" she angrily said.

Dahyun observed everything, and smiled. They then started to sit on the table, and gave thanks for the food before them. They consumed dinner with everyone talking about random things that they manage to come up with. It was a peaceful time inside the Kim's house. After everyone finished, Dahyun was left to wash the dishes with her aunt. She finished washing everything, while Taeyeon dried up the plates. Taehyun excused himself, and went back up to study in his room. After everything was finished, the two girls decided to stay in the living room. 

"So Dahyun, are you planning on going back to the stage soon?" Taeyeon asked, now resting on the long couch of the living room.

Dahyun was sitting on one of the single-seater couches of the living room, and was surprised at the question. She fixed her glasses and looked down. "I... I don't kno... No, I'm not..." she said, as she twiddled her thumbs.

Taeyeon saw this and smiled softly. She would kill just to see the day her neice would stay up on the stage once again. It was a dream that she shared with everyone in the family. But for more reasons than one, she wanted to see her niece finally move on from the past. Once she saw Dahyun looking abit uncomfortable, she decided to change topics.

The older girl stood up and checked the photo of Dahyun's mother, and smiled. She also took a mental note, seeing how the flowers were well kept, and the table holding the mother's picture was clean. She smiled at this, and felt her heart smile and jump in bliss. "You know, my sister..." Taeyeon stopped, shook her head, and corrected herself "Your mother, looked and acted exactly like you when she was younger". She then lifted the photo, and smiled at the sight of it. "Although, the difference is that she loved to fool around everynow and then. Her wittiness, her lame jokes, her dorky personality... there was something about it that put smiles to everyone around her. It was something only she could do" she stated, reminiscing about the past. She then looked at Dahyun and remembered how she used to be―back when her mother was still alive. She had the same dorky personality as her mother, it was when her mother has finally passed away that she changed. She became a Dahyun with high walls, afraid of accepting anyone. She really missed the old Dahyun, hoping that one day she would be able to remove that tight shell she decided to live in.

She then paced her way past the trophie cabinet that was on her room, and went to the piano. She noticed how the piano too, was kept intact and clean. She raised the fallboard, and checked every note and key. It was still as good as new, every key was finely tuned and it made her smile. She remembered the day when her and her sister were both younger. "You know, when I was still 5 years old, and your mother was 13. We used to sit down by your grandfathers piano seat and press random notes" she smiled. "We wanted to play a good song but all we did was make noise... That until your grandfather told us a little secret about piano" she stated, and started to press a key. "Infact, you can put this to any music instrument since it works well either way" she added. It didn't take long before she started playing a piece on the piano.

'Satie = Gymnopedie No.1'

As the notes play, Dahyun felt the nostalgia of when she was younger. Her aunt used to go to their house alot before, and play with the girl and her brother. She was reminded of this fact, and the solemn beat that the song gave added to the relaxing background.

"It doesn't matter what notes you play, nor does it matter which of the hundreds of chords you use" she stated, once she entered the second part of the verse. "What matters is the enjoyment you have while playing" she said while smiling. "It's because it's when you enjoy what you're doing, that passion of wanting and loving to play arises" she said in the middle, as the song comes to an end. "It's when you have passion for the things you do, that you want to make something excellent" the song has finally reached it's last note. "Never lose passion for the things you enjoy" she ended.

Dahyun nodded at every word the older girl gave. It was wisdom that she gained through out the years―maybe. She smiled at her aunt, seeing how she still loved the instrument before her. "You play well, Oba-san" Dahyun said simling. This act made the older girl smile from one ear to the other.

"You play better and you know it" the older girl said, and went to hug the pale skinned girl. "Take care of yourself Dahyun" she ended, before bidding good night.

Dahyun checked the mug of hot chocolate that's now empty on the table. She played with the handle a bit before deciding that it's time to end her day. She stood up, and washed both of the mugs used by her and her aunt before going up and changing her clothes after a warm bath. She then made her way towards her brothers room, never forgetting to knock. Once she heard a signal of approval, she slowly entered the room, and saw her brother staring at her while sitting on the chair by his study table.

She scanned the room and noticed that it was left unchanged. His games were kept tidy, the bed was fixed, and his manga collection was still arranged perfectly in mint condition. There was a single poster of David Beckham posted on the wall, wearing a red Man U jersey with an inspirational quote of 'Don't be like most people, most people give up on their dreams'. She smiled at the nostalgic feel. Her brother started studying abroad after getting an opportunity from different universities as a varsity student. It didn't look it, but her brother is good at coping with studies, and his love for soccer.

"Don't just stand there, come in" Taehyung stated.

Dahyun smiled at her brother.  She slowly closed the door, and walked around the room. It didn't take long before her brother gestured the girl to sit on the bed.

"Don't worry, I didn't do anything bad with my bed" the boy stated.

Dahyun nodded, and sat down. She missed talking with her brother, and this was one of the few chances she has.

"How is america?" the pale girl asked.

"It's fine, I met up with lot's of good people" Taehyung said, after closing his book and stretching his two arms. "In fact, I'm more worried about you, my cute little sister" He then faced the girl sitting on the bed, and smiled. "I was with aunt Taeyeon in America almost all the time, while I heard that Dad's rarely home." he added.

The smile on Dahyun's lips faded as she looked down on her twiddling thumbs. The room was filled with silence, it wasn't an awkward one, but neither was it a comfortable one. It didn't take long before the brother snapped his fingers, and grabbed the paper bag beside his study table. He then stood up, gave the bag to the girl, and sat beside her.

"Here, it's a souvenir that I bought from America" he stated, while gesturing the pale girl to open it.

Dahyun opened the bag, and smiled at the content. It was a star light projector, one with a rotating head and led lazers that changes color. The girl smiled and looked up at the ceiling, it was still filled with faded glow in the dark stars. She used to love looking up at them with her brother back when they were younger. His brother smiled, and followed suit.

"Remember when we were younger... Whenever we had problems or were sad, we would stay in this room and close the lights just to look at those stickers?" Taehyun asked. 

Dahyun nodded, her smile never fading. She then looked back up to the ceiling, staring at the faded stars once more. Each star holds a promise they made back when they were little, and each promise holds a memory of the past. She closed her eyes trying to recall some of them. She remembered pointing at the star beside the light―holding a special promise she made to herself. 

*Flashback*

"Oppa! Can I go to your room to see the stars?" Dahyun asked, staring at her brother with sparkling eyes.

"See the stars? But the sun is still trying it's best to set. And call me Onii-chan" Taehyung stated.

"Why?" the little girl asked

"It's Japanese for brother. It will make you cuter" the boy answered.

"Really?" Dahyun asked once more.

"Yes really~" Taehyung stated.

"Ok!~ Onii-san" the girl ended.

"That could work aswell" Taehyung thought to himself, his shoulders drooping with disappointment. "You can go to my room, but you won't be able to see them glowing at this time in the afternoon, so I suggest you go there in 30 minutes" he added.

"But I want to see them now..." Little Dahyun said, pouting abit.

Taehyung sighed in reply, then stood still and closed his eyes as to think. He stood there for awhile before he snapped his fingers once he felt a bright idea come out. "I got it!" The boy stated with Dahyun at the back who her portable, battery-operated night light while tip-toed to position it a bit above her brothers head.

Taehyung looked behind him, and nodded at the girl before rushing to his room. Dahyun followed suit never forgetting to close the portable light. Once they were in Taehyungs room, the boy covered his window with a 1 whole illustration board―blocking the direct sunlight―and closed the door. The room became pitch black which made Taehyung nod at his work.

Dahyun wailed in amazement as her brother finished one task after the other. It didn't take long before her brother opened the lights, and counted down from 60. The two siblings looked at each other before Dahyun joined the count down.

5...

4...

3...

2...

1...

0!

Taehyung closed the lights. And as the stickers have absorbed the needed luminescence, it glowed leaving a greenish yellow illumination over the pitch black room.

"Wow!" Dahyun screamed in awe.

"It's beatiful isn't it?" Taehyung asked.

"Yeah!~" Dahyun replied in glee.

Taehyung then pulled the carpet and dragged it on the center of the room. "Here, we can use this as a blanket" the boy stated, while gesturing for Dahyun to sit beside him. Dahyun nodded, and joined the boy sitting down. They both looked up enjoying their little synthetic star gazing. Taehyung then lay down at the left side of the carpet, using both of his hands as a pillow for his head as he stared at the warm glow of the stickers. It didn't take long before he pointed at one of the stars on the ceiling.

"Do you know, almost every star here holds a promise I made to myself. Every now and then, I gaze up on them to remember them" the boy stated.

"Wow! Really?" Dahyun asked in amazement.

"Yes, really" the boy replied.

"Can you tell me one of them?" the girl asked, curiosity evident in the tone of her voice.

"I dunno~" the boy teased.

"Pretty please?" the girl pleaded.

"I only tell my promises to myself and God... and probably cute girls" the boy added.

"Oh, I'm a cute girl! Pick me!" Dahyun stated, raising one hand up.

The boy laughed at his sister's actions "Right you are~". He then looked up, and hummed before pointing at one star by the corner of the room. "See that star? I promised myself that I will become better at soccer no matter what!" he stated proudly.

"Woah!"

"Mmmhmmm, and that one over there? It's a promsie that I made to myself that I must treat you to some candy" the boy stated after pointing at another star.

"Really? Then you must keep that promise!" the girl stated in an excited manner, she then pointed one directly facing the bed. "What about that one?" she asked.

"That one? It's just a reminder to do my assignments before sleeping" the boy stated making Dahyun laugh.

Dahyun then looked everywhere, and her eyes lead to one star by the main light. "What about that one?" she asked.

"Ahh, yes! The one near the light. They are the ones that shine the brightest since they are relatively close to the light source. Hence, they are the promises that hold the most... ummm.... what's the word? level?... That's not it... degree? no.... ahh yes! Severity~" the boy stated and closed his eyes as to reminisce about the past, making Dahyun nod in agreement. "That one there is my dream to become part of a soccer team that would earn me trophies in championships, and that one there is my dream to become an astrologist" he stated.

"Astro... YOU WANT TO FLY TO THE MOON!? WOAH!" Dahyun said, with wide eyes.

"What? No! That's an astronaught, an astrologist is one that study stars and space... and beyond!" the boy stated, with arms stretched high.

"Wow! still good~" Dahyun paused, before bombarding her brother with more questions. "But why not become an astronaught if you really love space soo much?" she asked.

"Because, as much as I love space... I love the ground here better~ Plus, if I fly to space... who would take care of you?" the boy stated.

"I got mom, dad, auntie, Chaengie, and our dog ahri to take care of me~" she stated happily.

"True" the boy ended.

There was a comfortable silence before Dahyun continued to ask about the stickers on the ceilings. It took a while before the glow started to fade, and they have covered the promises of almost every star there is in the room.

"What about that one?" Dahyun asked, now focusing on the last few surrounding the light.

"Jeremiah 29:11, For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a bright future~ It is a good reminder, and I always remember it in times of failure, and whenever I'm down due to circumstances" the boy stated.

"Ooohhh. And what about that one?" Dahyun asked.

"That? well I don't have anything for that one yet" Taehyung stated. 

"Awww" Dahyun said in disappointment.

Taehyung took a mental note of this, and smiled after poking his sisters cheek. "Want to claim a wish with it?" he asked, making Dahyun's face light up.

"Really? I can?" Dahyun asked, disappointment now gone and replaced with an ear to ear smile.

"Yup~" the brother stated happily.

"Yaaay! What do I do?" Dahyun asked eagerly, waiting for instructions.

"Well, you close your eyes and make a wish to yourself. It's not that hard really" Taehyung stated.

Little Dahyun smiled, and looked at the star before closing her eyes. "Oh star, I wish... I wish! I wish?" Dahyun opened her eyes, now thinking deeply as to what she wants to wish for.

"Having trouble thinking of your wish?" Taehyung asked, making Dahyun nod. "Try making a wish about something that you want to achieve... or something you want to be when you grow older. Each star is not just a promise to yourself, but also a promise to God, knowing that He will do this for you" he added.

Dahyun nodded at this, now looking at the star with seriousness. She then closed her eyes carefully thinking about her wish. "When I become older, I want to become-"

*Flashback end*

Everything turned blurry and dark from there. Dahyun suddenly felt a rush on her spine which quickly made her open her eyes. Taehyung noticed this and asked if there was anything wrong. Dahyun shook her head saying it was nothing. The boy took note of this and pointed at the bag.

"Let's set it up" Taehyung suggested, making Dahyun nod in agreement. He grabbed the star light projector, and set it up on the middle of the room. It didn't take long for the whole gear to be layed out. It was simple assemble with a plug and play, and a remote with different settings. After it was all set, Taehyung closed the light switch.

Dahyun looked around at the pitch dark room. It took a while before her eyes have finally adjusted to the darkness. The room that once felt big when she was still younger became smaller, yet the room still had the same bliss as before. It was when the device was that she felt like the whole room blasted in different colors. It felt like a trip towards space―through different galaxies!. The projector's light show was on a different level, and after a fast stream of beautiful stars that seemed to expand on every corner of the room, her face beamed with gladness.

Dahyun was left awestruck at the constant change of stars, a totally different feel from the usual 'staring on glow in the dark stickers'. But it was when her brother pressed a button on the remote, where every star projection stayed in place which moved something in her. Every star steadily placed on the pitch black room, and her brother started pointing at different constelations―explaining each and every one of them. It was a different experience, and definitely another warm memory she shared with her brother.

"This is big dipper, it's one of my most favorite asterism" Taehyung pointed out.

"Asterism?" The girl asked, while fixing her glasses.

"Yes! asterism. In every constellation, it has a few stars that line up called asterisms. Basically, they are group of stars that make up a prominent pattern" the boy explained.

"Ahh, the laddle constelation. It's called a Big dipper cause it looks like a dipper to scoop water from pails right?" Dahyun said, trying her best to connect everything wih logic and common sense.

"That's right, in english terms. In other parts of the world, it's described as a cleaver used in butchering meat" the boy stated before pausing and pointing at the edges of the constelation. "That point is called Dubhe or the main point. It's the tip of this notorious star, and a little bit north guided by the second point called Merak... If you let it lead out, you get to reach... There! Polaris or the north star" he exclaimed. "This is one of the few constellations located in the Ursa Major. It's probably the easiest star to find seeing how easy the asterism is to recognize" Taehyung added. "I mean, it's just a flying laddle am I right?" the boy stated while laughing, before continuing his lecture about the other asterisms and constelations.

Dahyun agreed and listened intently. Once they were done with the little lecture, Taehyung closed the projector, and turned the lights back on. It was getting late, and they both decided that it's about time to hit the sack. Dahyun thanked her brother for giving his time to her, and left the room with her present. She smiled at the projector on her hand seeing that it is a solid reminder that her brother will be always there supporting her. She went back to her room, and lay down in bed after closing her lights. She then looked back at the star light projector and back to the ceiling of her room.

Dahyun closed her eyes, but found it difficult to dive in the land of dreams. So she set up the star projector again. In a matter of time, the room was filled with stars and the lesson she learned from her brother slowly returned to her. She smiled at the sight of the big dipper―seeing that it's her brothers' favorite asterism. Once she got tired and was ready to rest, she turned the projector off, went straight back to bed, and closed her eyes. "The stars projected by this star lgiht projector may be beautiful, but I like the glow in the dark ones better" she thought to herself smiling before snoozing off.

 

[tbc]

 

------------------------

 

Author's note:

Hey guys!~ Back in another update. This time, we just get to see a new set of characters and now... I can finally focus on the main story line seeing that I have introduced all my needed characters for it. The others will be added soon, but they are not focused as main characters to the story. They are more like side characters. Again, this ship is specifically for SaiDa and if you want to see some other ship with the same story line, you can always hang around in the shorts >w<

Once again, thanks for reading and I hope to see you in later updates~