Chapter 5

Is this love?

“Well, if it isn’t Jennie Kim. The resident ice princess. What brings you back to our old country?” Jennie heard a coy voice ask.

Jennie tensed. She knew that voice, of course she knew it. It was a voice that she had grown used to hearing almost everyday of her life for years. It had been long since she heard it, but there was no mistaking who it was.

It was Irene. Beautiful, fierce Irene who was standing with a smile so sharp, Jennie couldn’t help but wince. It wasn’t the sharpness however, it was the hesitant ,the hurtful look in Irene’s eyes as they drank Jennie and Jaehyun’s figures that made her uncomfortable.

“Cat got your tongue, honey,?” Irene questioned once more moving closer to them, her gorgeous sparkly black dress shimmering and dancing with the cold wind around them.

As Irene stood in front of her, just barely an inch shorter than Jennie, she couldn’t help it. She wrapped her arms around Irene’s waist and let herself breath. She had missed her friend and as Irene returned the hug, Jennie realised the extent to how much she had missed her best friend. Her sister. The one who had stood up for her. The one who had always been there for her, sometimes quiet and silent ready to offer her shoulders and sometimes loud and wild ready to throw fists just to defend her.

Jennie could feel a sob building up, but she wouldn’t cry. She was strong and after all that had happened just moments ago, she didn't think she had any tears left to lose. So, she pulled away and held Irene at her arms length, trying to drink all of her. Suddenly, she heard a cough. Sheepishly, Jennie turned around to find Jaehyun; scratching the back of his neck looking so lost and awkward that once again Jennie couldn’t control herself. She gravitated towards him and found herself holding his hands as she dragged him to Irene.

“Irene, you remember Jaehyun don’t you?” Jennie asked, a light blush spreading across her cheeks. Jennie couldn’t believe she had forgotten a whole living breathing person for Irene.

Irene smirked, glancing at the tightly clenched hands of Jennie and Jaehyun before she turned to him.

“So, our ice princess ran for an ice prince of her own, eh?” Irene laughed loudly. Jaehyun frowned. Jennie rolled her eyes. Irene loved to mess with guys, to get under their skin and make them hate her. It was a thing she did, believing if they hated her they wouldn’t run after her love. Love, that she believed she had none to give.

“Cut it Irene, he’s a good guy” Jennie in before Jaehyun could. Irene laughed again, but it was lighter. Almost relieved.

“If he’s yours , he must be”  Irene smiled softly.

Jaehyun looked bemused at the turn of mood yet refrained from saying anything. Jennie looked at him then trying to reassure him through her gaze. She could see that the announcement earlier had shaken him. His eyes were still haunted and they seem to be begging her for reassurance. So, she tried to tell him, it would be fine. He would get through it. She would get through it. She would sabotage this relationship if she had to but they would not break like this. They would not suffer like this.

As they stood gazing at each other, radiating pain and trying to reach each other, Irene’s voice broke through their concentration.

“ it, let’s get smashed.”

Jennie couldn’t agree more. So, they set off, Jennie, Jaehyun and Irene all looking disheveled yet determined against all odds to drown away their troubles with soju. It wasn’t healthy, it wasn’t something anyone approved of but nothing about the three had ever been normal. It had never been easy , never been something they could laugh it off. No, it was only after an intense amount of drinking and a killer hangover the next morning,that the three learnt to get over their problem.

To no one’s surprise two hours later all three of them were smashed. Irene was screaming, her hair flying her eyes fixated on a random spot at the wall as she screamed. She laughed and sobbed, yelling and crying leaving more than a few people uncomfortable. Jennie on the other hand, was clinging to Jaehyun. She couldn't seem to keep her hands off him. It wasn’t that she was being inappropriate, her grip on him was just too hard. She seemed scare he would run away. Finally, Jaehyun our quiet boy was drooling on the table. His eyes were closed and he seemed asleep besides the occasional twitch of his arms. He didn't seem to mind or perhaps notice Irene’s constant screams or Jennie’s painful grip.

When the manager kicked them out after Irene fell of the table still yelling like a maniac, they managed to calm down. Well, Jennie regained her senses while Jaehyun finally woke up. As they walked around trying to find a place to sit with Irene snug between them, they decided the park would be the best place.

Jaehyun grunted as he dropped Irene. He was tired, being drunk and having to half drag a fully grown woman around the place was no joke! He glanced at Jennie to find her looking similarly tired yet still drunk as she seemed to struggle to sit down. The eyebrows were scrunched up , her arms awkwardly flapping around before Jaehyun pulled her down. On top of him. He managed a groan when she fell on his lap a bit too hardly. However, he hardly noticed the pain when he saw Jennie placing her face in the crook of his neck. He was uncomfortable. He hadn't been in this situation. Not with any girl. He had imagined short sweet moments like this of course but not with Jennie, or any other girl. He had seen himself with Lisa. Beautiful, graceful Lisa whose smile and kind nature seemed to draw everyone in. Her eye that shone so bright, it had captured Jaehyun the very first time he saw her.

He shifted again ,broken out of his thoughts as he felt Jennie shift again, now leaning her head in his chest. He felt bad for her, he really did. She was a tad bit messed up, but they were in the same boat and although she hadn’t told him her whole story, he can only imagine her pain and suffering. Then he realised, this girl was still very mysterious. He hasn’t spoken a word to her ever since she declared she was done running. He didn’t know how she felt, what she thought, her beliefs or anything associated to her besides what she had told him years ago. Truthfully, he didn't care. He still hasn't been able to forget how radiant Lisa looked and while Jennie was a cool acquaintance or whatever she was, she didn’t hold the same importance as Lisa.

Suddenly, as he was gazing down at her cat like face , he felt Irene roughly pull at Jennie. Jennie suddenly sat up still on his lap and looked around in a daze. Before Jennie or Jaehyun could comprehend, Irene had leaned over and captured Jennie’s lips with hers. Time froze. Jaehyun froze. Jennie froze,her eye going wide as her fist clenched together. They were stuck in that position for maybe seven seconds before Irene abruptly pulled back. Her face looked green. She held up a finger, scrambled back a bit before emptying her stomach right next to the slide.

Jennie was still frozen and on top of Jaehyun who also was in a state of shock. They watched as Irene stood up wobbling slightly as she did, before running away screaming once again however this time to pee. The two left behind, sat looking at the space Irene had been before Jennie pulled out two bottles of soju from her jacket.

Jaehyun frowned. He hadn’t remembered her stealing the bottles, but he didn't question it. Instead he watched her take a long swig before accepting the bottle offered his way. When they had gone through a bottle, Irene reappeared.

She looked more sober and her face seemed to have gained the coldness that Jaehyun had seen when they had first met. He swallowed. He didn't know what to expect. Both girls were unpredictable and scary, he could only hope he would get out uninjured. He was surprised however, when Irene plopped down next to Jennie.

Jaehyun held his breath as he saw open.

“I’m sorry. I know that was inappropriate. I don’t know what to say. I held this in for a long time Jen, so I want to tell you something. Will you listen to me for a bit?” Irene started calmly.

Jaehyun still had not taken a breath when Jennie glanced at him uncertainty. He squirmed. Should he leave ? Were they uncomfortable with him there? However, before he could say anymore , Jennie had given Irene a nod and she started once again.

“For a long time , I wondered if there was something wrong with me. Sure, I had gone through hardships while I was young, having to expose my body and use it as a tool to feed my family but I couldn't understand if it was the cause to my coldness. I notice what people think of me. I know when they thought of you as an ice princess, I was never far behind.”

Irene took a deep breath once again. She seemed unable to stop, desperate for someone to hear her story and Jennie and Jaehyun were willing. More than willing. They were there to comfort her as best as they could. They might be awkward and a bit broken but friendship was one of the purest and the most important relationship they had learnt to cherish.

“No matter the situation, I could not being myself to feel anything. I did not feel happiness or sadness. I wouldn't get excited or jealous, I was incapable of feeling frustrated or angry. Sometimes  I did feel emotions however because contrary to the popular belief, I am not a robot.”

Here she gave a shrill laugh. Her eyes were shining with tears that seemed ready to fall and her previously bright  face had lost its charm.

“ You know the one thing I can not feel even if I feel everything else , Jenduek ? It’s the one thing that has been killing you for years. Love. Ugh, what bull! Love. Love. Love. What does it even mean ? Why can’t I love anyone? Why can nobody love me? Then, you entered the picture. I had come to like you, think of you as someone close to me, then I understood. Out of everyone, you had shown me love. When you had been the first one to be my friend, the first person to appreciate me, the first person to care for me. The first person to look for me when I wasn’t there, the first person to compliment me even during my absence and also the very first person to never forget me or leave me behind. However, I couldn't understand myself. I didn't know if I loved you in a platonic way or in a romantic way, I had never felt this before, so naturally I had no way to distinguish my feelings. I hated everyone around you then. Most importantly, I hate Hanbin. I hated seeing you pine after him while you never noticed me pine after you. You were always so clueless when it came to anyone besides him. Well, him and Lalisa.

Well, that’s it. That’s all I had to say. I don't want to go into details about my feelings and thoughts because Rosé thought it would be better if I tried to leave it behind. I hope you understand.”

There was another pause after her words as everyone tried to take in this information. Eventually, Jennie broke the silence.

“Who- who is Rosé?”

Irene laughed.

“That’s the thing you got out of everything I just said? Rosé is my shrink. She’s pretty great, one of the most genuine and kind person I have met to this day.”

“Aah, well I want to tell you something as well. I want you to know and I want you to understand that I do love you. I don't say those words to people easily but I want you to know, with you it’s easy and normal as breathing. I don’t mind if you love me as a sister or as something else, but I also want you to know I could never give you the love I have for Hanbin. He is the one I love,more than anyone else.”

Jennie finally got off from Jaehyun and moved to Irene before engulfing her in a tight hug. Underneath the stars, Jaehyun was much too surprised or perhaps too used to the crazy day to even gasp when Jennie moved and placed a chaste kiss on Irene’s lips.

Another two hours later when it turned 4 in the morning, the trio found themselves in Irene’s apartment. She had recently passed out, a smile still on her lips due to the previous events.

Jennie and Jaehyun were left to fend for themselves. They find themselves once again entangled with each other on top of Irene's small couch. They are tired but Jennie’s eyes burn with a hot fire and Jaehyun feels himself losing all drowsiness. He's not even surprised to find himself to be the one to initiate the contact by kissing her on her neck. The same spot on his neck where she had buried her face.

Jennie responds enthusiastically and before long, she’s on top of him with her lips on his. Jaehyun pulls her tighter against him and she responds by ling on his lower lip. He groans, which emits a moan from her. Jaehyun shifts on the spot, wanting to feel her on him even more. Jennie nips his lips. Hard. It draws blood and Jaehyun pulls back after the metallic taste. Jennie’s taking in short breaths and her eyes are hooded yet she giggles. Jaehyun finds himself grinning as welo before he stands up, making sure her legs are firmly wrapped around his waist. They move to the spare bedroom in Irene’s apartment and under slow morning as the sun is coming up, they sleep with each other for the first time.