Seven

Trickling Red

 


There was a knock then a bang, followed by continuous pounding.
 
Agitated, the creature arose. In darkness, he willed the coffin to stand upright. Slowly, the black elongated box tilted and only stopped when it became perpendicular to the wooden flooring. The cover fell and landed on the floor without a sound. The vampire emerged from the container, eyes half-lidded. He swayed a little and vanished into the air. 
 
He materialised right before the door and flung open the door a little too hard. It slammed against the concrete wall adjacent to it, causing a slight indentation.
 
"Pardon my roughness if you would please," the sophisticated vampire said in a groggy tone, shielding his eyes from the sunrays that managed to penetrate into the room.
 
The visitor was taken aback as there were no signs that the tenant was approaching. He took a minute to compose himself.
 
"Jung Yunho, Sir," a bony man in his mid-fifties said while rubbing his palms together. "I believed you've yet to pay for this month's rent."
 
"Ah, yes, the rent," Yunho drawled. 
 
The landlord gave him an expectant look. "The rent, Sir."
 
"Yes, certainly. The rent," the cold-blooded male said, looking straight into the man's eyes.
 
His eyes turned red. With a resonating voice, he commanded, "The rent will have to wait for my pay will only come after that. Wait till the end of this month and you shall have it. Disturb me not when the sun's still up. Wait till dusk to knock upon my door."
 
Dazed, the landlord pivoted on his heels and went down the stairs, back to his apartment. 
 
Yunho spun around and faced the empty interior of his very own apartment. The blinds were pulled down at all the windows, shutting out as much sunlight as possible. Dragging his feets, he easily found his way back to the sole furniture in his house ― the coffin ― and stepped inside. Drawing circles in the air with his fingers, the cover closed. As a whole, the coffin shifted back to its original position.
 
Darkness hooded him and he fell asleep.
 
~.~.~.~
 
The sun dipped below the horizon, turning the city from deep orange to light blue to dark purple, and finally to black.
 
Yunho strolled down the street that was alighted with neon lights. Making a turn, he entered a shop which had black-tinted glass doors. 
 
"Welcome to Zagous, M―" a young man with close to perfect facial countenance said. "Ahh... Yunho-ssi, good evening."
 
With a smile plastered on his face, Yunho replied, "Yes, it's a good evening indeed."
 
Frowning, a man gave a curt nod and continued greeting the female customers who were arriving. 
 
"Yunho, table 5 is yours," Donghae said when he passed by the vampire.
 
Yunho softened his gaze and make sure his fangs were properly retracted. He had heartbeats. He breathed. His skin was warm. Only with one more observant than the average human could see through him and find the monster living within.
 
He slipped his hands into his pockets and sauntered towards the table. The three women's chatters ceased and they met his eyes. With his left hand pressed horizontally across his abdomen, he bowed.
 
"Good evening, ladies," Yunho greeted. "It's a pleasure to serve you tonight."
 
He offered to pour their wine before sitting down. The ladies jostled to sit closer to him. He scented the warm blood pulsating through their veins. His eyes flashed red for a while before reverting back to the original dark brown orbs. His breathing was slightly laboured but the difference was not obvious and no one would notice. He clenched his fist tight until his knuckles turned white. He mentally reminded himself to block out the delicious smell wafting into his nostrils. He was hungry and he struggled to keep himself composed.
 
Tomorrow. Tomorrow.
 
He could not attack them. They were a source of money to him. Also, the host club kept a record of their customers. If the police managed to track his victims all the way here. He would be in big trouble.
 
"Ladies please, the night is long and each of you would be given as much attention."
 
As if they were hypnotised, the female turned towards him and giggled.
 
"My, such a thoughtful and handsome young man," praised one of them.
 
The woman who was the nearest to him glided her hand up his thigh. He smiled as if he was pleased to receive such attention. Gingerly, he placed hand over hers and brought it away from his thigh... towards his lips. He placed a gentle kiss on the back of her hand and she blushed. Her eager heart whickered a soft response. He could heard it. He stared right through her moist eyes.
 
"Praising someone is my job, Miss. And not yours," Yunho chuckled deeply. 
 
The three women squealed.
 
~.~.~.~
 
Yunho reached home just an hour before sunset. He was exhausted but his perfect features did not show his fatigue. He pushed opened his door and suddenly shut it. Instead of walking in a straight line to the coffin to turn in, a strong force hit his side and he was slammed against the wall adjacent to the door.
 
"Hihi, Yunho!" a cheery voice said.
 
Yunho grunted, "Is this how you greet your friend? You lack of etiquette, Kibum."
 
With his hands before him, Yunho sent a strong wave of wind across the room. 
 
"Ouch, that's cruel! I almost spilled my food!" Kibum shouted, storming out of a corner. 
 
Yunho stared at him uninterestingly. Kibum had his fangs pierced into a blood packet, it. The metallic smell of blood invaded Yunho's nostrils. His stomach growled for the first time after so long. His nostrils flared.
 
Picking this up, Kibum grin mischievously, revealing teeth that were covered in blood. He brought out another packet, one that had not been punctured. He offered, "Want some?"
 
Yunho wrinkled his nose.
 
"No thank you. It looks distasteful," said Yunho, eyeing that bag of blood.
 
"Oh really?" Kibum teased, slurping the red liquid purposefully louder and noisier.
 
"Now, I would definitely appreciate it if you leave," Yunho stated, striding towards the door and opening it for Kibum.
 
Kibum checked his watch and looked at Yunho. 
 
"Nah, I will stay for another two hours. My work shift only starts then," Kibum mused.
 
Yunho shut the door which a soft clink. Raging in anger, he went into his coffin and pulled the cover close.
 
Kibum squatted down beside the coffin and began knocking his knuckles against the coffin softly.
 
"You're allowed to stay but don't disturb," Yunho mumbled, too tired to make his words sound fully coherent.
 
"You know, Yunho. You should change your body clock a little. There's so much fun in the day," Kibum began.
 
"I like the dark and I dislike the solar energy the sun gives," Yunho rumbled on.
 
"Same for me as well," Kibum lamented. "Are you afraid that what the humans said would become true? Like, we will turn to ashes when exposed to the sun?"
 
"No. Doctor Kibum, would you just go and tend to your patients and not me?" said Yunho sleepily.
 
Placing the bag of blood on the coffin, Kibum sighed, "Ok... Good night..."
 
There was no reply.
 
 
 
 
 
 
_______________________________________________________
Hi. So sorry for not updating for 5 months! I'll update more often, k? I'll try for once a week...
Btw, Kibum is the Kibum in SJ ok?
 
And Hah! Did u expect Yunho to reside is some gigantic mansion with many maids and equisitive wealth and hidden in some dense forest? Too bad, in this fic. He has to work for a living. Muahahahaha. 
 
Well, since 'Yunho' is supposed to be unraveled by Jaejoong. I can't really tell u a lot until then or, this isn't mystery anymore. 
 
See ya!