The vow

Our Dream Wedding

I continued living my life with my husband togeyher with our son. I admit he was a good father to Yoo eun. He was being responsibe for him, providing him his needs and he would even often grant his wants, like giving him a gaming set when he was 15 and loaning to buy him a car when he reached 18.

But as much as he's been a father to our son, he don't care about me as much as I don't care about him.

I often times sees him hanging out with some girls, flirting with them if he might, and if we happen to meet eyes during those moments, we'll just nod on each other like as if we're some sort of acquintance who passed by each other. But we both never really cared. We're married but we don't love each other. So it's only fair enough for him to mingle anytime he want. As long as he's being a father to my child, then there'll be no problem at all.

Yet, there's still some nights that we'd makeout. It's been a thing for us already. Making out with no strong emotions attached.

"Any news about mommy bi?" Yoo eun asked me one afternoon while I was preparing lunch with him

"It's been a long time Yoo eun. I'm sure shes married with someone else by now" he sigh.

Sinb. I'd be lying if I say there wasn't a single day that I never thought about her. I miss her so much. The last time I saw her was when I married my husband. First few years with him, I always thought about devorcing him already, especially when my mom died. But then on the second thought, I was thinking that devorcing him is already no use at all. Since probably, Sinb has found someone else. Someone she can love without suffering the same pain she got with me back then.

"I still got the ball she bought me for my birthday back then" Yoo eun shared. I smile at him.

"You kept it?" He nod

"It was cute" I find it sweet for him to still remember Sinb even for a small bit of memory only.
"You still love her, don't you?" Yoo eun asked with a naughty smile on his face

"I think you know the answer just by looking at that smile on your face." He chuckled

More years passed by, my husband died at 53 due to complications in his kidney. For the rest of the years, there's only me and Yoo eun facing the world together.

Few more years passed and Yoo eun finally found the love of his life. That moment, I knew, I'll have to learn how to live the rest of my life watching my son doing his things by himself, not needing my help anymore, while waiting for my own time to end. But just as I thought of those things, Yoo eun, during my 65th birthday, he took me all the way to jeju together with his fiance for a vacation there.

The island brought alot of nostalgic thoughts, especially when I get to visit the area where I first met Sinb again. My heart melting just by looking around the area.

"Mom?" I turn to look at Yoo eun who got a worried look on his face.

"I'm fine. Don't worry" I assure him. I even saw his fiance caress his back to help me assure him that I'm fine. I smile at her.
"Yoo eun... would you mind to leave me alone for awhile?"

"Are you sure?" I nod. He's hesitant at first but he eventually obeyed.

When I'm finally alone, I went to walk around. I never knew how long I've been walking and now I've reached the area with more people around. Most of them are fishing. I watch them as happily, thinking of my old younger days. I decided to stop by and continue watching those finshing people, until...

*tap* I turn to look behind me

"I think I'm lost. Do you mind to help me find the hotel I checked in?"

That soft voice. The woman looked old. She've got her wrinkles and almost all of her hair are turning white. But I could never forget that eyes which I longed for a long time. Her smile that makes my heart beat.

"S-Sinb..." I finally said her name with all due shock.

"It's been a while...Yuju" she might have grown like me, but she remained beautiful.

"Y-you're real?" I reach out to touch her. She closed her eyes as she let me caress her cheek. My tears fell. She was real. No more hallucinations. Sinb's right infront of me. I couldn't contain myself anymore, I hugged her. She hugged me back as tight as I did. The warmth of her embrace. I almost forget how it's like. For long years I've been longing for this warmth and now it's back.

Sinb invited me to come with her at the hotel she checked in. I couldn't say no. I miss her so much. I wanna spend more time with her.

She put a glass of water at the coffee table in front of me then occupied the sit beside me. We're into an awkward silence at first until Sinb broke it with a chuckle.

"Okay, this is awkward..." I couldn't agree for more
"So... how are you?" She gently asked

"I'm good. I'm happy, especially now that Yoo eun has finally found the love of his life" I saw her nod with a smile

"I see. He's growing up so fast" I sigh. We fell into silence again. No, I don't want this. I don't want us to be like this. But then, what can I do? We've been away from each other for too long without even having a single contact after all that has happened to us.
I cleared my throat.

"W-well...how about you, Sinb?" I hesitate. It's now or never, Yuju.
"A-are you m-married?" I heard her chuckle bitterly.

"I haven't found the one yet" I frown, then J turn my head to look at her from the side. She sigh

"H-how come?" Sinb is an amazing person. She's beautiful, kind, and loyal. She also got those unlimited charms. Anyone can fall for her in no time.

"Love is not that easy, Yuju" she looked down
"I kind of learn a lot from you" my heart broke. Was she traumatized because of me?

"I-I'm sorry" she let another sigh. Deeper this time.

"You don't have to apologize. It was my choice. In fact, I'm only waiting for someone"

"What do you mean?" She turn her head to meet my eyes

"I met someone. She was the first, and probably the last person I would love." Hearing that, I knew who she meant. I can feel myself melting as I kept my eyes on her. Her eyes were sparkling, as beautiful as always.
"She's brave. She's weird, but it's lovely. She's smart. She's one of a kind" my tears fell. What have you done to me Sinb? How can you do this to me?
She reach out her hand to grab mine, holding it tightly.
"I love you, Yuju. I love you still"

"B-but why?" After all that happened. I got pregnant, I married the father of my child, I left Sinb behind, our relationship was broken. So why?

"Because it's you" she simply answered. She took off one ring out of her finger. I only realized it now that she's actually wearing two rings, and those are our old engagement rings.
"I've been waiting for this day Yuju. A day where will meet again, and that day, you'll be free. You're no longer with your husband, no more family of me and you to stop us. And now, this day has come. Guess my prayers were heard" I kept tearing up. Sinb hates to wait, but then for all those years we're apart, she waited for me.

"What did I ever do to deserve you like this?" She wipe my tears and smiled at me

"Yuju... can I marry you?"

"Yes, Sinb. Definitely a yes" she wore the ring on me then pulled me for a tight hug. She gave me a kiss on the head and later on, I can hear her sobs along with mine.

"I love you so much, Sinb. I love you"

"I love you too, Yuju"


We flew back to US a few days after with Sinb. Yoo eun was so excited when he met Sinb again. He couldn't even wait to introduce his fiance to his mommy bi.

It took months but it actually felt like days only. For the second time in my life, I walked on the aisle and stopped after I reached the end of it. Sweet music was playing as I watch Sinb march on the aisle, getting closer to me. Behind the veil she was wearing, I can see her smile. All of a sudden, I started seeing the younger Sinb. Her younger self whom I've spent alot of times with. Her younger self whom I've shared a dream with right before it was shattered.

"I know. We can't be married in korea"

"In the US we can get to love more freely Yuju. We can walk around the streets hand in hand. In there we can have our wedding. Our dream wedding"

"Remember when I asked you to marry me?...Will you wear this ring and be my fiance?"

"Is this yours?..You cheated on me!"

"Have you visited the hospital already?...wanna come together?"

"Yuju... your mom... maybe she was right"

"...I'm only waiting for someone"

"I love you, Yuju. I love you still" 

Everything that we've been through. The hard times that brought us apart. The bitterness of life as it forces us to choose between what's right and what makes us happy which shattered our dreams into pieces. Yet now, finally, we made it to this day.

We exchange our vows. Digesting every words of love. We oath to love each other whatever may happen, and as to whatever the future may lead. Right after we sealed everything in a kiss. The kiss that means a lot. The kiss that will forever mark this day for us. The day we got our dream wedding come true.