Fallen

Midnight thoughts

Binhwan | Mutant AU | Super powers AU | Rated T | I kinda want to make it longer

 

Jinhwan's grip on his hand became tighter the higher they climbed the stairs. The younger could read the tension on his lover's face and he immediatly regretted the old days where Jinhwan would smile lovingly at him for his stupid behavior or his clumsy limbs, regretted the old days where it was only the two of them, not running away to save their dear lives. Now with them rushing on the iron steps, any traces of the smile he cherished so deeply were gone.
Lost in his contemplation, he missed a step and stumbled, almost bringing Jinhwan into his fall if not for the older being steady on his support.
Like in the movies they used to watch on friday evenings, the sound around him suddenly unmuted and the fireshots behind them came back to him tenfold. His ears were ringing, his mind was going blank, his feet started to freeze but his eyes wanted to see. Wanted to see the faces of the people who've been chasing them so he could ki-
"Hanbin !"
Jinhwan's voice called him back to reality and he peered up, meeting teary eyes and white pearl teeth digging into soft lips. A soft tug on his hand was enough for both of them to continue their ascension. A couple of steps further, Jinhwan let out a violent sob and his knees nearly gave up from the shock, resulting in him crashing on the nearest wall. Hanbin had the conscience to push him back onto heels without saying anything. He knew Jinhwan was an Emphatist, and he knew what that wreck meant. They'd lost someone. A couple of second passed before Jinhwan opened his mouth again.
"They got Bobby .. Bullet right between his e-" Hanbin shushed Jinhwan with his hand, his skin non-suprisingly getting wet from the tears now rolling freely on the smaller's cheeks. He could see his own vision blurring.
"We have to escape, Hwannie .."
The older nodded and couting to 3, they threw their bodies forward, successfully breaking open the rooftop door. In the mean time, since the men after them had no opponents left, the stairs were quickly climbed and guns soon enough were pointed to their directions.
"Surrender calmly and none of you will be hurt ! We dont want to shoot you" said a man in a fireproof uniform. Those fxcking bxstards knew who they were coming for. No wonder Junhoe had struggled so much.
"Just shut up ! You only want us for your stupid laboratory experiences !" Jinhwan screamed, almost escaping Hanbin's grip, ready to fight. His voice was strained with pain. They'd lost everything they had in a blink of an eye. One hour and everything had gone down to ashes.
Hanbin then saw Jinhwan's eyes turn yellow like everybody else saw them.
-
A second. A second was all it took for Jinhwan to take possession of a soldier's mind and make him open the fire against his own teammates. In no time, half of the men were on the floor, emptying from their blood. Jinhwan could have killed them all, but it was without counting on one unique bullet coming for him.
Hanbin was fast to react, wrapping Jinhwan in a tight hug. Without any warning, the floor disapparead under their feet and the grey of the city swapped into a relaxing green.
Jinhwan was now lying on a beautiful carpet of grass, short of breath and heart boucing in his chest. Even Hanbin could hear it from above him. Slowly, the younger rose his hand to wipe away the tears remaining on his boyfriend's cheeks and he smiled. A small smile, but still beautiful.
Taking a deep breath, Jinhwan propped on his elbows to kiss him on the lips, as if wanting to claim "We've made it". The kiss would have been perfect and rewarding .. if it didnt taste like blood.
If only luck could smile to them like it used to. But it seemed like it had gone away since long ago, since the blue lightning hit them and gave them power they didnt ask for.
"I'm sorry .." were Hanbin's words before Jinhwan found the culprit ; a dark red blotch spreading on Hanbin's stomach.
"Dont leave me .."
"I love you"
Hanbin kissed him. Jinhwan closed his eyes and started to cry again.
"I love you too, but dont leave me .. Please"

When would his nightmare end ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Explainations :

Jinhwan and Hanbin have been together since high school and were living a pretty normal life, both going to uni and renting a small apartment.
One day, a blue lightning struck and the people touched developped powers. In this state of global panic, the government ordered every person touched by the phenomenum to get registered, and the couple did. At first, they were let free and succeeded in walking back into a routine. They eventually met new people with powers, just like them, and they became friends.
However, upon seeing the really small number of people "struck", the government decided to take them down, or at least try to understand how the whole superpower thing happened. (Jinhwan screaming at them for the laboratory experiences)
And this is how the boys ended up in the building; trying to escape from the soldiers.
Hanbin has (had?) a teleportation power that can only be used after a small span of time, like a charging lapse, so they had to find a place where they could have the time to activate the tp (rooftop).
Then, Jinhwan's an Emphatist, which means that he can feel what others feel and to a certain extent, control minds. But because of his strong bonds with Bobby and the power of the latter's feelings ; fear, pain, distress, he felt what Bobby was going through without intending to in the stairs (When Hanbin got shot, Jinhwan was mind-controlling, he cant do both, see ?).
Now, back to Bobby and Junhoe.
The four boys were together when the chase began, at Junbob's apartment truth be told, and this is why Junhoe and Bobby stayed behind. They felt responsible in some way and told Binhwan to run first.
Junhoe, as induced by the fireproof uniform, can control fire. Sadly, the soldiers were aware of that thanks to the register and Junhoe couldnt do anything to fight back their guns. Eventually, he got tied by the scientists but it turned Jiwon into a mess to see his friend (lover?) unable to resist the drugs shots. And guess what, Jiwon's a tiger metamorph. Now this explain why he got shot directly ; the soldiers werent prepared to face a wild animal because they're expecting to see a "smaller" metamorph.
At the end of the extract, Hanbin knows he wont make it and excuse himself after all the promises he made to stay by Jinhwan's sides no matter what, but this is more past related than power related.

I guess that most of the story has been explained but if there're still questions as you read, I'll be glad to add more !