Hide & Seek

For The Universe

A/N: WARNING: XTRA LONG CHAPTER

 

After reporting the information about the ‘planet destroyer’ to their head officer, Jongin, Luhan And Chanyeol has been put on a specific task force to gather information regarding the said weapon. So far they where limited to scavenging what they could from the Ivory trenches. 

 

It proved to be quite fruitless.

 

“This is the fifth trench today and there’s nothing but battle tactics in these ing bunkers” Chanyeol groans, slamming the door to another underground cavern

 

“We just have to keep looking” Luhan sighs, lifting himself out of the trench 

 

“Let’s take a break” Jongin says, sitting in a rock “Im so hungry” 

 

Reluctantly, Luhan sits down and pulls out his lunch pack. “Let’s hurry, I want to go through as many as we can” 

 

“The trenches aren’t going anywhere” Chanyeol replies, opening up his own lunch pack, each one is made to cater each planet’s typical diet. Chanyeol’s is stuffed with some sort of fried bird and hearty purple potatoes, Luhan’s is filled with sweet smelling fruits on top of green leaves, as most people from Flore tended to be vegetarians. Jongin opens his own pack, containing the standard grilled fish atop various sea plants and grains. 

 

“Hey what’s that thing called?” Chanyeol asks, pointing his fork at Jongin’s lunch box

 

“The fish?”

 

“Yeah” 

 

“They’re called Delphi.” He answers, pulling a thin antenna off of the fish “You wanna try some?” 

 

“I don’t know if I like seafood” Chanyeol says warily 

 

“What do you mean? Isn’t most of your planet water?” Luhan asks, as he plucks a plump purple berry out of his box 

 

“Everyone’s gathered in a valley in the center of the continent, everything else is rainforest. Before anyone actually gets to the ocean.” Chanyeol answers as he looks at the antenna

 

“Try it, the antenna are the best part. Full of nutrients” Jongin hands it to Chanyeol

 

“Says who?”

 

“My dad. Eat up” 

 

With his eyes closed, Chanyeol bites into the fish and proceeds to cough it up, retching. Jongin laughs loudly at him “I can’t believe you actually ate it!” 

 

“Why would you give that to me? It’s disgusting you people eat this?” 

 

“No, you’re not supposed to eat that part” Jongin laughs in between giggles

 

Luhan rolls his eyes, with a grin on his face “Hurry up and eat y-“

 

“Hey what’s that?” Chanyeol interrupts, pointing to the sky behind them. 

 

“I’m not falling for that one again, if you want some of my food you have to ask” Luhan states

 

“No, really. It looks like a bird or something.” Chanyeol says as he hawks at whatever it is he’s seeing 

 

“There’s no wild life in this moon, Chanyeol” Jongin shakes his head as he turns to look. Shockingly, Chanyeol was telling the truth, but it was no bird. 

 

“I-is that a person?” Jongin stutters, peering at the large thing flying a short distance from the ground far away. 

 

Luhan whips out his binoculars and points them towards that direction, his jaw drops. “It’s a Postean.” 

 

“What? I thought we finished the last of them a few days ago?” Jongin says

 

“I’m sure, they have medium sized translucent wings.” He puts his binoculars down “Jongin shoot it down” 

 

“Why me?” Jongin pouts as he lifts his rifle to his shoulder 

 

“Because you have the best aim.” Luhan retirts, glaring at the person flying. “What kind of idiot would fly on enemy territory where they could be seen by everyone?” He mumbles. 

 

“Shut up, they’re far away I need to focus” Jongin snaps, before redirecting his attention to his target. With a deep breathe he focuses on just a few inches below one of the wings, before pulling the trigger. It releases a silent stream of hot energy that zooms across the plain. When he looks back in the direction of his target, there’s nothing in the sky. 

 

With a cheer Luhan leaps up “Hurry let’s go get them!” He swiftly gathers his stuff and pulls his pack over his shoulder

 

“I can never eat in peace” Chanyeol sighs, looking at his barely eaten food forlornly. 

 

The three troops march across the rough terrain of the moon, after about a mile of walking they find a rather petite looking man writhing in pain, clutching the sizzling wound towards the base of his wings. Beside him there’s a set of footprints that Jongin instantly analyzes. “You two can handle this one, there’s another one around here somewhere” 

 

“I-I’m alone” the wounded Postean stutters out

 

“Yeah right” Luhan scoffs, giving a swift kick to the other mans stomach “Just shut up, will you?” 

 

Silently, Chanyeol lifts the man up and binds his arms and legs in rope while Jongin follows the erratic footprints in the dirt. “I’m by myself I swear! There’s no one else!” The Postean shouts 

 

“I said be quiet, your voice is giving me a head ache” Luhan groans “Chanyeol gag him or something”

 

“I’ve got tape?” Chanyeol asks

 

The footprints lead into the opening of a trench. Jongin pulls out a smaller weapon, an Enigma 28, a handheld gun that tases the target. He leaps into the trench skillfully and immediately spots another, quite small person hiding lamely behind a stack of medicine barrels. 

 

“Come out, you Postean scum. I see you” Jongin shouts. 

 

“N-no you don’t” a meek voice calls out

 

“Uh yes I do, you’re wearing black leather boots. Your hair is brown. Come on out” 

 

“T-that’s not me” 

 

“Yes it is! Come out!”

 

“No”

 

With a frustrated growl Jongin marches to the medicine barrels and pushes them over. Cowering in the floor is a young man with soft brown hair and brown eyes looks up at Jongin fearfully, the look momentarily wounds Jongin, but regains his composure. 

 

“Oh you’ve found me.. uh I guess I’m it. You’d better run I guess” The man attempts to laugh, but only results in letting out a pathetic sort of whimper

 

“Why would I run?” Jongin says confidently before tasing the smaller man, who instantly falls limp. With a grunt Jongin heaves him over his shoulder and gets momentarily stunned, finding no wings on the other mans wings. “What are you?” He mumbles, climbing out of the trench where Chanyeol and Luhan wait with the tied up and squirming Postean. 

 

“Where to now?” Jongin asks

 

“We’re too far from base to walk both of them there.” Luhan taps his foot “But there’s an older base just a mile west. We could take both of them there, have one person guard them while the other two go get a rover” 

 

“Help me get that one” Jongin points at the Postean with his foot “To the base and I’ll keep guard.” 

 

“It’ll be hard to carry him, if he keeps thrashing around like that.” Chanyeol says, gesturing towards the writhing man on the floor

 

“Knock him out, whatever I couldn’t care less.” Luhan shrugs

 

“Hey do you know what species this one is?” Jongin asks, nudging the being on his shoulder

 

“No wings, plain hair. What color are is eyes? He could be a Ucrion” Luhan says

 

“No. They’re not black and white they’re brown” Jongin answers, as Chanyeol hits the Postean swiftly against the side of his neck, making the other man fall limp.

 

“If I didn’t know any better I’d say human. But the Milky Way is adamant about staying out of the war” Luhan mumbles “I’ll bring a DNA test when we come back” 

 

“Well, let’s get on with it” Jongin sighs, turning towards the proper direction. 

 

The abandoned Central Union base is covered in ash and cob webs, but it still stands with its thick wooden walls, torn flags flapping in the wind. The holding cell is a heap of steel and dirt, so Jongin ties the Postean to a chair in the old conference room. 

 

“Alright, we’ll be back soon.” Luhan says, as he finishes up tying the unknown being on the ground. 

 

“See you” Jongin salutes lazily as he sits down on a chair across from the Postean. 

 

Luhan And Chanyeol then leave, the latter complaining about the long walk back to the active base. It would take at least an hour and in the dry heat of the moon it would be rather difficult. 

 

With a sigh Jongin begins patting down the Postean, trying to find some sort of identification or device. Unsurprisingly he has nothing but a paper clip in his pocket, he probably ditched whatever he was carrying when he got shot. As Jongin sits back down he amuses himself by analyzing the other mans features. 

 

His hair is shaved close to his head, the standard hair cut for the Postean soldier. His body is rather slender but built, all tell tale signs of a seasoned soldier. However his face is a gentle one, supple pink lips  and rosy cheeks. “You’re pretty cute” Jongin chuckles to himself, leaning back, redirecting his attention to the steady drips of blood that fall from the wound on the other mans back. It’s easier to focus on something like that, rather than the unique features of him. It’s difficult to carry out missions when you realize that the enemy are living species too. It’s harder when the enemy is younger, it makes them more relatable and easier to like. 

 

“Thanks” The Postean huffs, his face still dropped towards the floor

 

“You woke up pretty quickly” Jongin replies, leaning back

 

“You’re Osnazuno friend didn’t hit me hard enough” he answers with a  dry chuckle

 

“Figures, probably should’ve had Luhan do it.” Jongin shrugs

 

“Why’s that?” 

 

“Chanyeol’s in a slump, he needs a break after battle to gather his mind.” 

 

“That’s not good” 

 

Jongin laughs “Yeah, he’s gentle person. Not really cut out for war.”

 

“Are you?”

 

“Am I what?”

 

“Cut our for war? Not that anyone really is” the other man coughs, a splatter of blood coming from his mouth and falling on the floor.

 

Jongin peers at the Postean, it’s not right for him to even speak to an enemy soldier, especially one you’re keeping watch on. It’s another one of those things that just complicate war, but Jongin answers nonetheless “No. I thought I was but after a while it just seems pretty pointless.” 

 

“I couldn’t agree more” The other man replies, his breaths heavy “I’m Kyungsoo.” 

 

“Jongin” he replies “I’d shake your hand but looks like you’re a little.. tied up” 

 

Kyungsoo laughs, it comes out as a painful wheeze “That was a stupid joke, don’t make me laugh. It hurts” 

 

“This is my method of torture, I make bad jokes till you tell me what I need to know” 

 

“Well it worked, what do you need to know?” Kyungsoo replies sarcastically, tilting his head towards Jongin, his eyes wide open now. The clarity in them catches Jongin’s breath, they’re almost identical to every other Postean eyes he’s ever seen, a rich, deep red. But Kyungsoo’s are a bit lighter, like a ripe apple, they’re full of life and it makes Jongin defensive, because he knows he can’t look into those eyes and kill Kyungsoo. 

 

He takes a deep breath to regain his composure “Well, once the others get back we’re gonna grill you about some new weapon we’ve found information about” 

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen for a fraction of a second, before he forces himself to become expressionless “So, you’ve found out about that.” 

 

“How would you know about that? You must be pretty high ranking” 

 

“General” Kyungsoo answers with a smirk “One of the youngest” 

 

“So, General Kyungsoo, whats the deal with this so called ‘Planet Destroyer’” Jongin leans forward

 

“You’ll have to try harder than that to get that out of me” he replies with a smile, Jongin tries to cover up the way his heart pounds a bit faster in his chest. 

 

“The others can do that.” He answers hastily “Well what’s the deal with that one” he jerks his head towards the being on the ground “What planet is he from?” 

 

“My lips are sealed” Kyungsoo smiles again before wincing, his face dropping again as his body tries to curl in on itself. Both wings try to flutter, the wounded one just shudders. 

 

“What’s wrong?” Jongin demands, suddenly standing up

 

“Oh i-it’s nothing.. I just got shot is all” He snarls

 

“Oh, I forgot about that” Jongin sits back down, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly

 

Kyungsoo says nothing, as he focuses on breathing, the blood flow becoming more steady, making a puddle of red on the floor. Jongin sighs, standing back up and heading to Kyungsoo’s chair. With a swift motion he cuts the rope, with a pocket knife.

 

“What are you doing?” Kyungsoo asks, baffled 

 

“We can’t have you dying before we question you.” He lies, pulling the rope away from Kyungsoo’s shaking body “Besides, you can’t get very far in that condition” he adds, sitting back on his own chair. 

 

Kyungsoo keeps his head down, as he struggles to keep the pain at bay “T-thank you” he stutters, a small grin on his face

 

“It’s nothing to be thankful about, you’ll be dead before tomo-“ Jongin starts, but is cut off when Kyungsoo suddenly leaps forward, knocking Jongin down to the floor. In an instant, Jongin’s knife is in Kyungsoo’s hand and at Jongins throat. 

 

“Thanks a lot” he smiles, pressing the blade closer to Jongins skin, the pressure makes it hard for Jongin to speak. 

 

“You’ve got me” Jongin says as he closes his eyes, both hands are pinned under Kyungsoo it’d be useless to fight. He waits for the sudden sting of the blade ripping his flesh open, but it doesn’t happen. Kyungsoo sits there, staring down at the Uaphean. His eyes focused on every detail of Jongins face. 

 

“Hey, you’re not too bad yourself” he laughs “Slitting your throat is a lot harder than I anticipated” 

 

“You either kill me or wait for my comrades to come back and kill you” 

 

“Well I guess I have no choice” Kyungsoo sighs lifting the knife up, pointing it directly towards Jongin’s steady beating heart. With a sigh he throws the knife away and punches Jongin hard in the face, making the other man pass out. 

 

When Jongin wakes up, the conference room is empty, the only thing on his mind is Kyungsoo’s gorgeous red eyes, and the steady beeping from the tracker Jongin placed in Kyungsoo’s pocket.