The Dead Officer

For The Universe

‘Kill or be killed.’ That’s what Jongin’s General shouted to his platoon before sending them out to recapture the last section of the moon. It was a misleading phrase. The last of the Ivory troops didn’t put up much of a fight, they where starved, tired and low on ammunition. It took only twenty minutes for Jongin and his fellow soldiers to wipe them out. 

 

 Once the plasma cannon shoots a stream of hot blue light into the sky, Jongin collapses, sitting on top of an empty ration case. All around him are Ivory troops, dressed in green uniforms lying dead on the floor. Across from him is Luhan, a man from Flore, who is angrily ing his steel spear into the chest of an enemy troop. Once the Ivory troop falls limp, Luhan shoves him off his spear. The sickening squelch of flesh tearing makes Jongin wince. 

 

“Luhan, you make me sick” he mumbles from beneath his gas mask. 

 

“These pathetic soldiers make me sick” Luhan sighs, placing his spear back into the sling on his back “We finally cleared them all out.” 

 

“Yeah, it only took six and a half months” Chanyeol, from Osnazuno cheers from behind Jongin. 

 

“I hope they give me furlough” Jongin sighs “I miss my mom” he laughs, watching as the lower rank soldiers drag out bodies. Jongin had been deployed to liberate Luna 18, five months ago. Coming straight from basic training to the battlefield, the planet, Sasora is a Central Union colony, and Ivory troops had immediately launched an invasion on the moon orbiting Sasora which led to a counter attack from the Central Army which eventually led to this dreadfully long battle for the ownership of a useless moon. And now, after half a year of fighting the Central Union cleared out the remaining Ivory troops. It was a long and fruitless battle. 

 

“Doubt anyone’s leaving till we finish clean up.” Luhan says, leaning against the trench wall. Luhan, like most o the troops from Flore had the image of a sweet and innocent child. Wide mauve eyes, with a small nose and mouth, even the wide curved horns sprouting from the top of their heads gave them an innocent charm. However most people from Flore tended to be the most brutal in the midst of war, their planet had been one continuously at war within itself, the modern day Florean troop fights the same way the ancient Florean warrior fought, with spears on their backs and a wild boar beside them. It was strange to see the weird pig like creatures roaming around the trenches, but as Luhan said the ‘boars’ where actually a creature called ‘Ludores’ and where traditionally ridden into battle. Now they’re more of a status symbol than anything. 

 

“How long do you think clean up’s gonna take?” Jongin asks, leaning back. 

 

“Few more months at least” Luhan replies. 

 

“Great.” Chanyeol groans “well let’s get to it, General said we need to have this trench cleared out before sunset” 

 

Reluctantly the three of them begin teaching bodies and empty barrels out of the trench. By the time the sky darkens not even half of the trench is cleared, Jongin huffs as he lifts a large water container out of a sticky patch of mud, he lifts it to his shoulder and pushes it over the edge. He staggers backwards, slipping in the mud and falling down on his . “” 

 

He fumbles around, attempting to get up. As his hands slip in the mud, his fingers find a metallic chain. “What the..” he murmurs, standing up and pulling the chain out, his flashlight balanced between his neck and shoulder “Luhan, Chanyeol, come look at this!” He shouts. 

 

The chain pulls open a latch, a wooden door leading to an underground cavern. The two other troops come. “Holy , what is that?” Chanyeol gapes, peering into  dark space. 

 

Jongin crouches down “Theres no stairs or anything, just a straight fall.” 

 

“I say Luhan goes first” Chanyeol grins

 

“Me too” Jongin nudges Luhan who rolls his eyes 

 

“You two are a bunch of babies” 

 

“Hey if you break your foot, you’ll be in the medical tent with your pig again!” Chanyeol says sarcastically 

 

“It’s called a Ludore not a pig and his name is Maruchan” Luhan replies, swinging his feet over the edge of the cavern. He places his flashlight between his teeth and jumps into the darkness. Almost immediately they hear a soft thud “The drop is short, come down!” 

 

The cavern is small, there’s a small cot hanging in the corner and a desk in the next. Everything is covered in mud and dirt, a dead officer in an all white uniform lie dead in the cot. 

 

“Look, the pathetic Postean shot himself when he realized they where done for” Luhan chuckles, poking the body with his spear. “Even wrote a note, let me read it” he pulls a piece of parchment out of the dead mans hands “To my love, Seung Soo, my daughter Bora and my son, claiming this moon for Postea is hopeless. The Central troops have overwhelmed us. I’m taking my own life, I would rather die at my own hands before I allow a Central soldier kill me.” Luhan lets out a laugh “Pathetic” 

 

Jongin rolls his eyes, going through the desk. Throwing out useless paper and small trinkets. Looking for a tablet or some sort of device that would hold important information. 

 

“Here let me see that” Chanyeol takes the paper away from Luhan and begins reading aloud “My son, my pride and joy. You’ve become a general so swiftly, know that in life and death I’m proud of you, my Kyungsoo” he crumples up the paper and throws it on the floor “His son is probably coward too” 

 

“Would you two shut up, I think I found his Nova” Jongin says, prying open a sealed board in the desk drawer. Once it pops open it reveals a sleek black tablet, he picks it up “It’s finger print activated” he mumbles, taking to the body and pressing the cold finger tip to the center of the device, with a pleasant chime it unlocks. Jongin takes a seat on the floor, Chanyeol and Luhan crowding around him to look. 

 

The files are mostly useless, documents detailing the plan to take Luna 18. After meticulously looking through every file he finds something intriguing. 

 

‘There have been new leads on recovering an ancient weapon. It is believed to posses the power to effectively destroy planets, this kind of power is essential in ending the war. Commander and Chief, Prince Wu will be leading an expedition to recover as much information about this device as possible. As leading officers in the military of the Ivory Federation it is your duty to reclaim as many colonies as possible before this weapon is recovered.’

 

“The power to destroy a planet.” Jongin whispers, his voice wavering. “T-that’s impossible right?” 

 

“That is the power of a god.” Chanyeol breathes, his fingers trembling as he takes the tablet to reread. 

 

“If the Ivory Military gets this power they won’t hesitate to destroy all of our planets and colonies” Luhan leans against the wall, his eyes closed “They’d start with your planet, Jongin”

 

A/N: LMAO I DIDNT MEAN TK MAKE LU AND CHANYEOL HEADS BUT FROM WHAT I KNOW ABOUT THE ABERAGE SOLDIER THEY BECOME SLIGHTKY DEHUMANIZED AND UNEMPATHETIC TOWRDS THE ENEMY BEAR WITH ME THIUGH BC THEY GET BETTER!! ALSO WOW THANKS SK SO MUCH FOR READING IM SURPRISED THAT ANYONE REALLY TOOK INTEREST IN THIS!!!