CHAPTER 7

COMPROMISE

She started running out of the place where she thought of building good memories with her father. But who knew that all of those bonding she have with Hye Jun were all part of his plan with merging with Se Jung. Not even Jessica predicted this could happen though she had her speculations when she caught her husband a night ago. 

 

Maybe she trusted too much on her father's words and actions that she's hurting right now. Maybe she shouldn't have done that. Maybe she shouldn't have at all. 

 

"What did you say?!" Yerin said once she and her father went inside the rest house leaving Jessica with Se Jung and Taehyung. "Tell me this is some kind of joke." 

 

Tears are threatening to spill as Yerin's eyes glisten but she still managed to look at her father directly. She wanted an answer but she knew that she'll never going to like what would it be once Hye Jun says it. Her father looked at her coldly. Those eyes Yerin were accustomed to ever since she was a kid, came back again. And Yerin knew, that all of what they did was her father's plan to gain her trust and eventually push his plans of merging his company by using her. Hye Jun never really cared about her. 

 

"I don't have the time to joke over matters like this," Hye Jun said sternly. "This is the only way for us to merge our company with them. And don't start with the 'I don't care about us.' I care about this family much more than you do Yerin, that's why I'm willing to do this."

 

"By trying to get me married to someone I just knew?" Yerin answered bitterly. "You know what, I don't care about your reasons anymore. There's only one clear thing to me now. You only care about yourself!"

 

That was one word Hye Jun disliked the most. That he's selfish when he strongly believed that he wasn't that type of man. But Yerin could only see just that in him and he was tired to deal with the emotional dilemma he was right now with his daughter and the insult he took to the heart that before his mind could react, his hand did what he never wanted to do.

 

A slap went to Yerin's cheek as soon as she finished her statement.The sting it bought reverberated through Yerin's body that the tears came rushing down her face. She was stunned after which she thought that her father would never do such a thing. But here they are, with Yerin's cheek red from the slap she earned from her hell of a father. 

 

Hye Jun was about to say sorry to his daughter but was taken aback when Yerin shot her a stare he never thought Yerin was capable of doing. 

 

"You see that?" Yerin said mockingly. "Is that how you care on this family?"

 

"I'm not liking the tone you have there kid," Hye Jun said slowly losing his patience. "You better watch it Yerin. We still have guests." 

 

Yerin scoffed at what she heard. "No Dad. I don't freaking even care if you have your damned guests right now or  if they could see us like this. Because you know what? I'm tired of even convincing myself that we're a family when obviously this was more like an arrangement or investment for you."

 

Another slap was given and this time Hye Jun made sure that he wouldn't regret it this time. But Yerin didn't budge to Hye Jun's surprise. His daughter kept her feet on the ground, her eyes with that glare Hye Jun was seeing for the first time boring holes at him. 

 

"You will marry Taehyung and that's final. Now, dry those eyes and come with me." Hye Jun ordered but as he was about to grab his daughter's hand, Yerin jerked away from him.

 

"I really don't understand what I did to deserve this kind of family," Yerin muttered but made sure Hye Jun could hear. "If this is how you want it to be done, then I'll make sure your dream of merging won't happen." 

 

Hye Jun was about to grab her but Yerin knew better right after she said those words. She ran away as fast as she could with Hye Jun calling the bodyguards to stop her. 

 

 

---

 

 

Alarm at the rest house was sounded and Sinb was about to head to where Hye Jun and Yerin was talking about the marriage with Taehyung, when the latter took hold of Sinb's arm. 

 

"Where do you think you're going?" Taehyung said as a playful smirk was visible in his face. "I think your forgetting something here." 

 

Sinb was annoyed and wanted to throw Teahyung down on the ground but tried to compose herself. "I just wanted to check what happened."

 

"No, your job as middle man and being a bodyguard to Yerin-ssi is finished." Taehyung said. "So don't even try to meddle on this one. Just let them on this." 

 

"What do you mean to say?" 

 

Taehyung looked at her meaningfully as if Sinb would get his message through the way he looks but gives up anyway. "What I mean is, let yourself be the spectator sometimes. After all, what we're witnessing is a good quality kind of drama." 

 

Taehyung was enjoying it. For him, everything from the start was just a game. Something he planned all along when his father broke the news of him getting married.

 

 

--- 

 

 

It was three days after the incident happened and a missing Yerin was all around the news. Joy and Eunha tried to contact their friend but Yerin wouldn't answer. Jessica was devastated about what happened, that after that day, she went to Hye Jun and cursed him until her strength gave up on her that she collapsed and Hye Jun had her delivered to an emergency room. Se Jung didn't find the incident appalling but he still trusts Hye Jun that the latter would keep his promise of handing his daughter for marriage. Hye Jun ordered some men to track Yerin's whereabouts and bring her back immediately as soon as they find her.

 

Everyone was worried on what happened to Yerin except for two individuals. Taehyung just went on to be a 'spectator' and was amused at the drama he was witnessing. Though he was intrigued on how Yerin managed to disappear without leaving any traces and even contacting her friends or loved ones, he decided to watch and wait for the events to unfold and until then would he play with his plans.

 

Sinb just got her pay through her card and the agency warned her to not get involved anymore to the case. She promised she wouldn't but it was evident for herself not to deny the fact that she was indeed worried about Yerin. With news that Yerin was still missing, she was itching to find her but given with the orders of her agency, she just couldn't find her that easily. 

 

It was Sinb's fourth night after Yerin was missing that she decided she couldn't take it anymore. She couldn't sleep as her mind rambles nothing but Yerin and where in the world could she find her. She went out of her bed and tried to find some clues on where could Yerin be based on her notes about her. Notes she didn't informed the client as she was having trouble sensing that Taehyung was also a victim in this case. 

 

She was about to open her notes when someone messaged her. She looked at the number and was confused as to who it was and read the message: 

 

'You need to come over here. Urgent.'