04: to be cautious

Iris
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



 CHAPTER IV 
to be cautious


 

 

Song: Bad Boy 

 

        During early times, the forbidden fruit grew on the tree of knowledge, both good and evil greatly forbidden to Adam and Eve. It was said to be a sin of having consumed such an attractive novelty, what more desirable upon learning it wasn’t allowed. The apple was heavily condemned when people assumed it was the symbol of destruction, but no one could tell for sure if Eve had really eaten it, or others.

Sehun was the same.

Being burdened with the fact of learning his secret, Irene felt the weight of another woe sinking in. Sehun’s words had drilled the daylights into her head and by now she was sure this headache would not be leaving anytime soon. It wasn’t supposed to affect her this much, yet it did.

“Liar.”

The same thing that had hurt her back then and present. How can one word be so simple yet hold so much gravity?

She’d most definitely felt the impact of being caught red-handed. The immobilised state that suddenly shut your entirety down with a heart that did a major somersault as if it was electrified.

Remembering the menacing look of betrayal and anguish in those eyes were enough to leave her sleepless for the night. He was fuming for sure, but Irene had detected a look of helplessness in the corner of his dark orbs after being found out, as if Irene had stripped his skin bare and raw. She remembered that look from a long time ago; a friend used to wear them all too well.

And then, what about Seulgi? Had they actually been together?

This was exactly what Irene meant when she definitely did not want to get associated in others’ affairs. The forbidden fruit turned forbidden only because some people couldn’t resist plucking it, eventhough they knew they would be damned for life. Once she got involved with Sehun individually, Irene knew it would be too much for her to handle. Prevention was said to be better than cure.

Though she had relished her time in the shower, allowing the burning water to cascade down her arched back in rivulets, it was clear that it would take more than that to dispel the numbness in her muscles. She’d even trashed around her bed sheets, forcing her eyelids shut to drift into a lulling dream but her body wouldn’t coordinate. 

Instead, Irene went out of her bed to put some jazz songs, in hopes to nurse her heavy solitude but it proved futile. She could feel her pulse rush unreasonably in the wee of the mornight.

Sehun had paid her no heed as she tried to explain herself after their awkward encounter earlier. He’d also left the restaurant just moments after Seulgi, but not without playing the good Samaritan of picking up the tab for the crew. Since everyone was kind of sloshed, no one seemed to differentiate how hastily he was trying to get out of there. 

Irene blamed herself for stepping on the wrong toes this time, she should’ve been extra careful in the first place. But then again, was it really her fault she happened to be there? Now, she had no absolute control over this new situation and wasn’t sure how she was supposed to act from now on. Inadvertently, the thoughts on her head grew loud till the point she’d forgotten about the music she . White noise consumed her like a bike going downhill, except there weren’t any brakes.

And it was a feeling so solemn, she couldn’t speak or process, but could only listen.
 

 

 

 

        Tick tock tick tock tick tock

The alarm went off and Irene had never imagined saying this today, but she dreaded work.

Sehun, Seulgi, Sehun, Seulgi. Two things that etched in the back of her memory like a parasite feeding off its host. She wasn’t directly involved in the pair yet she already felt an unhappy, most unwelcomed connection to it.

Irene would be more than glad to forget all about it though, but she was not confident if Oh Sehun shared the same sentiment.

She in a deep breath, one long enough to get through this day that already felt like a nightmare before it began. All she had to do was try to minimize contact with Sehun as much as possible and hoped that he wouldn’t pursue yesterday’s matters.

Of course, you can only hope for wishes to come true because they never do majority of the time. And it just so happened that the first person she stumbled on her way to the filming set had to be Sehun.

Anyone would be smart enough to see how Irene stopped, almost backtracking when the familiar vehicle pulled against the curb. Sehun stepped out of the posh van in a simple plaid shirt with a cap almost down to his hooded eyes and his manager followed shortly behind. He was dressed warmly but the cloak of ambiguity was present.

Irene tensed up, mortified and irrevocably loss at words. It was too early for a confrontation! Sehun visibly mirrored her, though he managed to put up a composed façade hereafter, maintaining a reasonable distance apart. He slanted his head, tipping his navy cap slightly to allow some light in his line of obstructed vision.

“H-Hello.” Irene managed to squeak out, scratching the nape of her neck out of sheer nervousness as she panicked internally. Sehun’s glazing brown eyes naturally followed where her hands went and his brows quirked up in wonder.

“Morning. Did you have a good sleep?”

For a stranger, the concept of Sehun asking was simple— out of courtesy. However, Irene understood the underlying sarcasm with the way he muttered it so unnervingly pointy. 

True enough, his manager went beside him, beaming like a cheshire cat. “Good morning Irene! You left early last night… we could have more to drink with your other mates! Rested well?”

“Well maybe next time…” Irene stuttered, failing miserably to control her anxiety, “I had a good sleep, thank you—”

“Yeah, I’m sure you did.” Sehun quipped, his eyes sheer dark and unreadable with a ghost of a smile. Irene could never have guessed what he was thinking, but it feared her nonetheless. Her heart drummed in the hollow depths of her ribcage at their perturbing contact.

How could she have a good sleep when she barely got none? This person before her— was the main reason for her insomnia. But of course, there was no way she was going feed his ego. 

“See you later alright.” His manager patted her encouragingly on the shoulder, descending into the filming site.

Sehun’s smile instantly faltered the moment his manager turned his back. The friendly eyes that were there previously were now replaced a steel cold gaze. Irene cleared , sensing a premonition.

“Irene.” He pursed his lips, eyes assessing and inquisitive. He studied her stance like a specimen for an experiment.

She looked straight to Sehun, this time bracing herself. He parted his lips in an attempt to speak, but ended up saying nothing.

“Yes?” She questioned, trying to sound certain but both of them knew what was impending.

Sehun cocked his head and to be honest, Irene wasn’t really liking how she felt like a mouse in a trap. The still silence was engulfing. It didn’t take her long for her to realize that Sehun was out to probably taunt her.

He finally dropped the bomb. “What is it that you’re after?”

Irene’s breath hitched in . “Excuse me?”

“What is it that you want after listening to what I said yesterday?” Sehun repeated more coldly, “What are you trying to gain?”

No way, did he think Irene eavesdropped on purpose? Perhaps Sehun had assumed she was out to blackmail him… Maybe he had his fair share of bad experience in the past but still, she felt indignant for that thought had never once crossed her mind. Now Irene felt indignant.

Irene’s tone was growing defensive, “I’m not after any—”

Sehun snickered, a sardonic laugh that showed he wasn’t buying it. “That’s what they all say.” 

Irene feigned a forced chortle too, perhaps so to ease the paranoia and tension that was mounting around the air. “You’re mistaken about me…” It took her all the guts to spell out the next line, “I told you— yesterday was an accident.”

“It doesn’t change anything.” 

Irene begged to differ.

The streets were visibky starting to bustle as more vehicles started streaming through the roads. It was a matter of time before someone chance upon her rendezvous with the popular actor so Irene decided to end this as fast as possible.

“I already said I’m sorry… I really am.” Irene tried to act natural but of course she wasn’t capable of it, “Can’t you forgive me and let it go?”

“No.”

Irene never expected Sehun to be someone bent on harbouring a grudge. She tried to emphatise with his provoking attitude and dismissed it regardless. Maybe Sehun was just acting out of whim. Afterall, with his recent parting with Seulgi, he must’ve felt so down and it didn’t help that now a stranger posed a threat in learning of their secret relationship. It was the biggest insecurity any celebrity possessed, including herself. 

But still, it was so damn uncalled, and unfair, that Sehun was traumatising her like this. 

For someone the media spoke highly about, he was actually a brat.

This was possibly one of the biggest hurdle to overcome in her many years as a stuntwoman yet not even half of today had passed. Time flew so slowly when she least appreciated it. She chose not to fight back for now with her career at stake, so she conceded.

“Then what do you want me to do?”

Sehun looked around and before long he noticed how the streets were starting to get chaotic with more people strolling by, exchanging a mutual sense of urgency. With a chilly look that worked so well on his face, he thought interminably, before giving an answer even more perplexing.

“Do nothing.”

 

        Do nothing? Of course she wasn’t going to do anything! Did Sehun think she was going to sell that scandalous news to the media? Why did he have to say something so confusing like that? Urgh. Irene rubbed her temples and groaned softly. 

Thank heavens that Irene didn’t have to shoot in the eyes of the person whom she concluded definitely hated her now, despite being painfully aware of the inevitable fact that the scene where she and Sehun would require a face-off were just few episodes later.

Chanyeol complained about how Irene was a spoilsport for leaving early last night but it was obviously passing by her like a wood of block. She had much more serious stuffs on her plate, like how to fix a problem with someone complicated or how to undo an unpleasant encounter. 

Speak of the devil, the ramblings came to a stop after Chanyeol casually mentioned that he was off to meet Sehun for a while and sprung off naively, not realising that his co-worker had turned as pale as sheet.

Good news? Her Riveria mates were still unaware of his true nature and were completely happy working together so all was good. Bad news? Irene was the only one who knew so she was left to mull over her doomed fate alone. She had never wished for a drama filming to come to an end this lightning quick, it was quite laughable and pitiable.

“Hi Irene.” Seulgi approached after her scene was over, “Are you busy right now?”

Irene craned up from her phone after setting a tiny reminder on a mark of her calendar. “No, not really.”

“Great. You’re on your break now right?” Seulgi’s ears perked up at the revelation. “By the way, thanks for yesterday night. Hope I didn’t cause you too much trouble with my abrupt departure?”

Oh, you have no idea.

Irene flushed a little. “Aw no, don’t mention it.”

“Did… anyone else stay up?” Seulgi bit her lip, continuing. “What about… Sehun? I mean, it  wouldn’t be good since we both have a long day of filming today.”

“Sehun?” Irene asked while feeling conflicted. He did leave after that mini confrontation in the locker room, but that would be hard to explain. Because that would mean that Irene had to reveal how it even started, and the revelation began with Seulgi. “No...” She half-admitted and pondered if she was giving his ex-girlfriend an answer that was appeasing enough, “He left shortly after you actually.”

“I see.” Seulgi said vaguely, the corner of her pink lips tilting just slightly. “We have two hours to the next shoot, do you want to take a walk outside? Perhaps a quick lunch?”

Irene blinked at her random invitation. “Um, yeah sure… but what about your fans? Will you be okay with them seeing you?”

Seulgi laughed. “It’s not like we’ll be taking public transport.”
 

 




 

        The ride was excruciatingly long for a two-hour lunch but Irene figured it was okay since the actress initiated it personally. 

Unlike Sehun, Seulgi was a much more harmless talker who talked about things that didn’t make her feel ill at ease or tongue-tied. It was spectating, she thought, for a couple they were kind of worlds’ apart. 

She glanced at Seulgi from the side as she kept her slender arms firm on the steering wheel, locked sight on the road.

Well, it wasn’t really surprising that they had dated under the table… Coming from the same agency, personal feelings were bound to get mixed up and measures had to be taken. It was a pity though, they looked so attractive together on set, what more in real life. But living the showbiz life was difficult, Irene personally knew that. Things you want to do become restricted, sometimes even off-limits. Being in the public eye was confinement in itself. Was this what Sehun meant by ‘risking everything’?

Maybe if they were average people, they could love freely… 

Irene knew that it was unwillingness on Sehun’s part to seperate but Seulgi? She didn’t seem too affected… but it wasn’t in her place to judge the tip of an iceberg.

“Is my side-profile that attractive for you to stare at?”

Irene broke out of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter