03: to be surprised

Iris
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



 CHAPTER III 
to be surprised


 

 

Song: Give Me (나에게주세요)

 

        In every being to date; a person would have, no matter how partial it existed, an Achilles’ heel meant to be kept to secrecy with Pandora Box. Unfortunately for some, it came a tad later and by the time Irene discovered that, her entire life had already been permanently thrown into a volatile ride she couldn’t escape.

It was down to six days into their filming of Andromeda.

The studio was constantly busy with crews running back and forth, heavy equipments being torn down per whim and frantic chasing of timing for each takes. No one had the luxury of really giving two hoots if the atmosphere felt disconcerting as long as they got the job done.

Quite frankly, Irene had expected some sort of tension between the two main leads after what happened before. Yet on set, Sehun and Seulgi seemed extremely chummy with one another, constant fingers brushing through fabrics as they took turns to rehearse their lines and got along just fine.

It was absolutely nothing like the what she’d personally encountered a few days back by a of luck. Standing before her… were like two different people.

Maybe she’d really imagined it afterall. Albeit, Irene thought for a while, how could people change in a blink? Perhaps, the pair had resolved their differences in private. 

Either way, Irene never questioned it further.

 


 


        Today’s shoot began at an open premise in front of an infamous shipyard with a history of generations ago. Joo Won was supposed to have a secret rendezvous with a special agent at one of the container until he realized he was being tailed by one of the North Korean comrade. 

Chanyeol was standing in for him today due to the heavy duty around the vicinity. Taking into consideration the possible dangers, Sehun was advised to stay out where it was required. This was his first solo scene in the middle of early October.

As the scenario rolled out, casual jitters made by Chanyeol, flush of anxiety smearing both of his cheeks, could not be shrugged off by Irene. She snickered playfully before jabbing into her friend’s elbow lightly, asking him to chill a little. Now he looked more buoyant, his usual self.

Sehun was, to put politely, the type to be passionate in what he’d set his mind to. That much could be observed after working with him.

The actor was clad in a simple black dress shirt, tucked neatly under his slim jeans paired along with a thin plaid jacket. He almost looked like he was shooting a photoshoot if not for the manuscript in his hand.

Sehun headed to a luxury motorcycle that was parked neatly next to one of the massive run-down containers. The cue was given and he instantly strapped on his helmet and ignited the engine.

The way Sehun sliced through the howling wind with the raging vehicle looked seamless on tape. Blue and yellow rays that glimmered along the actor’s shadow got the director gushing ‘Nice take!’. Even if no one could’ve seen his face that was covered, the scene alone was picturesque.

Chanyeol slotted in after several retakes and Irene gave her friend a fruitful grin before the tapes were switched. The taller one wore the same garments as Sehun and he too looked dashing, if not on par. The only difference was that Irene noted her fellow stunt friend to be more of a klutz.

Setting the mood mischievously, Chanyeol sped up and he curved through the maze of the road. He skidded and weaved through the other cars there, repeating it multiple times.

Irene, as usual, was in awe of high-speed stunts so she stuck around to watch her friend do his trick. Maybe she had missed out, or lost count the days where they had gotten closer, maybe there was a little of something else, between comfort and need, where Chanyeol’s motivation aligned with her aspiration.

It wasn’t until she felt a musky woodspice scent fanning her nose that she whipped her head around to see Sehun standing behind her, eyes transfixed at the same scene.

“So that’s how you do it…” 

Irene blinked upwards before she reverted back her focus. “Yes. This is what you call a pursuit stunt. The level of difficulty and intelligence for this is the highest.”

“Have you done one like that, Irene?” Sehun inquired.

Irene shook her head. “Not yet. I’m not at that level yet.”

“Then,” Sehun probed curtly, “do you want to do it?”

“Well of course I do.” Irene confessed her raw wish whilst sustaining a formal tone, “That’s what all stunt people dream of doing the moment they sign up for action schools. It’s the maximum level we dream to achieve.”

“Dreams.” Sehun remarked dubiously, “What good are they if you have to risk everything?”

Irene studied his stoic expression and the way his breathing sounded irregular. “Dreams define what kind of person you’ll be. They make life more worth living, I guess. At least you gave your best without giving up. You might have lost everything, but I think that’s how you become the real winner.”

“You think so?” Sehun gazed upon the petite figure. “Then what kind of person do you think I am, Irene?”

“I…”

The abrupt hitch of the motorcycle came to a stop and a panting Chanyeol rushed over, oblivious to the events that just transpired. He took off his bronze helmet, matted brown fringe sticking up in all directions over his brows and ran a hand through his hair despite the shivering heat. Removing his jacket in one arm, another wrapped around Irene’s neck.

“Was I cool?” Chanyeol said with a smug.

Irene pulled away.

“Don’t—” Irene narrowed her eyes into slits and the former automatically distanced himself but not before concealing a smirk.

They wrapped up the scene. While Chanyeol and Irene volunteered to clean up after the place, Sehun followed the beeline of their footsteps.

“You two seem close.” Sehun blanched.

“It’s because I joined Riveria around the same timing as Irene.” Chanyeol explained while dabbing the sweat off his forehead. “Rumour has it that she was a loner before I came.”

Irene’s brows creased at how much Chanyeol was spurting to someone they barely knew. “Don’t think too highly of yourself.” The scoff came off intentionally.

“She’s a serious robot who doesn’t know how to have fun.” Chanyeol laughed hoarsely, “What would you have done without me?”

“Just fine thank you.” Irene shooted.

Now aware of how they’d both bantered without a regard for the actor, Irene bowed. “Ah, me and Chanyeol got carried away without realising—”

“No, it’s refreshing seeing your friendship.” Sehun admitted, a transient hollowness clung to each crisp syllable. “It’s rare to have those nowadays.”

“Oh right,” Chanyeol recalled, “popular celebrities have it harder since all eyes are watching your every move huh…” 

Sehun’s composed face slightly tensed, and he halted his steps. Then, amusement stretched his lips. “You really are the inquisitive one, right?”

Now it was Irene’s turn to keep mum while the two men laughed. 

Like how he had broke the barrier between Irene, Chanyeol actively dragged Sehun off, easily overpowering him with his outstanding built. “Don’t worry, there’s enough of me to share around!”



        In the meantime, Baekhyun had taken the liberty of carrying the heavy stack of boxes so much so it was blatantly covering his front vision. “Director. I’ll take these if you don’t mind.”

“Yo, Baekhyun!” Chanyeol called out from afar as he rolled up the loose ends of the rope, “Need my help?” 

“I’m fine!” Baekhyun shouted where he was stationed, “Just return me the ones you’re holding.”

Baekhyun walked in big strides between odd stumbles as his arms supported the large boxes. It was starting to get real tedious when he was balancing a load and trying to focus on his sight all at once. Just as he took the next step, a foreign collison sent the boxes tumbling down and all the contents spilled out like an avalanche.

“Let me help you.”

The blinding sun made Baekhyun squint harder as a unknown silhouette came into the picture, his torso already kneeling next to him and lifting the props.

“Ah Sehun, you don’t really have to do this.” Baekhyun exclaimed embarrassedly for having the star to help him in his blunder.

“This happened because I wasn’t paying attention to my surroundings.” Sehun admitted in a low voice as he picked up remaining props.

“Don’t fret, it wasn’t your fault!” Baekhyun scratched the back of his neck listening to the way Sehun was humouring him and insisted that it was unintentional while rushing his way back to the van. “But still, thanks a lot for helping!”

That was when Sehun finally met her pair of eyes.

Their gazes collided.

Irene froze.

Sehun waited.

He didn’t react immediately, but the dark glint in his orbs gradually diminished along with the mild terror over his face.

Like a deer in headlights, Irene, who had been rooted there, beamed in return.

“It’s a little hot today, don’t you think?” Sehun then stood up with a usual smile.

“Yeah, I suppose so. Hot.” Irene mirrored and watched him pass by, leaving her alone.

An inkling sense of warning surged through her and something told her to stay on guard from now on. Irene apprehended all too well this strange premonition that bubbled in the dull lobe of her chest.

Was that really an accident?

 


 


        Irene took it upon herself to give Sehun the benefit of doubt but she couldn’t ignore what she’d just encountered.

Something no one else never noticed.

Was she seeing things?

It wouldn’t make any sense for it to have been done intentionally. 

And why would he?

“That sly grin after helping Baekhyun… what is his deal?” Irene wondered softly. She was beginning to feel skeptical towards this prolificent actor.

It wasn’t like he did anything unlawful, but Irene hated to admit how much of an enigma he was.

The shift in his attitude from Baekhyun to Chanyeol didn’t fluctuate drastically, but it was there.

Akin to tirelessly putting on several masks… 

Which brought her back to the question Sehun asked earlier.

“Just what kind of person are you, Oh Sehun…” 

There were so many ominous thoughts polluting her mind, stuffs that never were supposed to be there initially. It was a frightful change to Irene for all this time she was only pa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter